Old 18th February 2001, 05:57   #1
umqQjf20

I can't open Winamp. I reinstalled it many times and during the installation I get this:
Install progress:
Output directory:C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINAMP\
skipped:C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINAMP\winamp.m3u
aborted when couldn't write file:C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINAMP\winamp.exe

Someone please help. I also can't open Quicktime, and I can't play .wmv files in Window Media Player either. It's probably a system problem, but any help will be greatly appreciated. Thankyou.
A.J.
umqQjf20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2001, 06:00   #2
Sawg

Make sure winamp is not running when you try to install it. Also, make sure your Hard drive isn't full
Old 18th February 2001, 06:06   #3
umqQjf20

Winamp is not running during reinstallation, and I have 7GB of space left on my hard drive.
A.J.
Old 18th February 2001, 06:09   #4
Sawg

run scandisk and a virus scanner
Old 18th February 2001, 20:15   #5
umqQjf20

I did all that. I'm still experiencing the problem.
A.J.
Old 19th February 2001, 02:42   #6
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

If you are trying to upgrade & the Winamp dir already exists:
Make sure that the dir & none of the files within are "Read Only"
Better still, uninstall the old version (via Add/Remove Programs), & re-install the new version.

If you're installing for the first time:
Delete the installer EXE file, check that the Winamp dir is totally empty, then re-download & try installing again.

Though, if you can't open QuicktimePlayer & you can't play certain files in WMP, then it sounds more like a Windows or Hardware error.
We could do with knowing your full sys specs & whether any errors or conflicts are listed in System Control Panel -> Device Manager.
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2001, 03:20   #7
umqQjf20

None of the files are read only. I uninstalled. Winamp folder completely empty. Reinstalled. Winamp did not open. Cannot open winamp.exe file. Here is my complete system info. http://www.filepool.net/e?clip=DPA2B...eE8HVOSPG8QSB1
System Information.txt (94.4 KB)
Attachment powered by FilePool.com
A.J.
Old 20th February 2001, 05:03   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Wow, all hail MSINFO32.EXE
Now that's what I call thorough!

Give me a few hours/days to scrutinize the file and I might come up with something
I did note one or two discrepancies, but I'll need to look into it much further b4 drawing any definite conclusions, eg:
1. Nvidia Riva TNT & Ethernet Adapter = sharing IRQ11
2. vmm32.vxd (Virtual Memory Manager) = listed as driver for almost everything?
3. A huge list under [loaded modules] | Possibly too many programs concurrently running, causing conflicts during installation / playback
4. winamp.exe listed under [Running Tasks]
5. RealPlayer StartCenter (systray) in Start Up Menu
6. A few entries in [Program Groups] that I'm not familiar with,
eg. what's Jack B | Romeo & Juliet ???

We'll maybe go into 1 + 2 later, if needs be . . . though hopefully not.
3 = self-explanatory
4. Again, make sure Winamp is not running whilst attempting an upgrade installation.
This includes closing any Winamp systray icon (including Winamp Agent)
5. Remove RP Start Center from systyray.
This may fix your QT/WMP problems. Though you may need to reinstall both of these too?
6. Make sure you have the latest signature DAT files & run Norton A-V again to check for ALL files on your pc for any viruses.

When you say you uninstalled then re-installed . . .
Did you also delete the original installer & re-download again from scratch?
Also, try rebooting b4 re-installing.

See how ya get on for now and, if you're still having problems, I'll maybe scrutinize your msinfo file even further . . .
Offers are fully open to anyone else who'd rather do this than me

Old 20th February 2001, 22:57   #9
umqQjf20

I'm sorry for taking so long to reply, but I've been on the phone all day with Microsoft, Dell, HP, & Symantec and my system ended up worse off than it was before, until I fixed it back to where it was yesterday. First of all, I installed SONIQUE to see if I could install an mp3 player and make it work, and it did install properly and works properly too. I am having problems with my floppy drive and Microsoft thinks that could be causing my problems with Winamp, WMP, and Quicktime. I'm sure they're wrong. You wouldn't believe the idiots they have working phone tech support and what they tell me. Anyway all these problems started last week when I removed some unknown devices from the sound, video, and game controllers tab in device manager. When I closed device manager, windows started building a new hardware database as it always does when you change anything in device manager or add programs from add/remove programs. All the drivers are supposed to load interactively but everytime I change anything in these places I always get errors that windows can't find certain files and that I should set the path where the file can be found. This happens all the time, and sometimes I manually write in the correct path but sometimes I just skip the files, because they are usually found when I search for them later. The files do exist, it just that windows can't find them and this is what happened just before I started having problems with Winamp, Quicktime, and Windows Media Player. Also I installed a browser plug-in last week that I use when I go shopping on the internet, because it gives me money back for every purchase I make, but it also wreaks havoc on my computer when I install it. It crashed my computer about 5 times last week, and this could also be causing the problems. When I try to install Winamp, I do completely uninstall the program, and use a newly downloaded setup program, but even though the program fully installs without the winamp.exe file the second time I try to install it, it just freezes at that point and says that the file can't be opened for writing. I suspect it could be running from the previous times I and the installer tried to open it, and it can't be overwritten because it IS running. I don't know what's going on. Microsoft thinks I should reinstall windows, and get a new floppy drive, but if it's an OS problem, why do certain audio and video players work and some don't. Also, why can I play only .avi's that I've created myself and I can't play anybody else's .avi's, even Microsoft's test samples, and I can't play any other files in WMP? Why does Real Player work, other audio and video players work, and some don't. I have no problems installing other programs just Winamp, WMP, and Quicktime. Other problems that are plaguing my computer are half the time I can't even get internet explorer to connect to a web site. Sometimes when I do connect to a site, my browser freezes in the middle of loading the site, and my system crashes. It can then only be rebooted with the reset button. A few other weird things that have happened is that on one site that pays you for clicking on web ads, I click on the ad, get to the site, the web site says I have been paid, but no points go into my wallet. The site's tech support says when they log into my account, they can accumulate points or rewards for my account, but I can't from my computer. This only started after I had been able to use the site for a while. One other thing that happened was that after I was using Scour.net for a while, last August I was unable to connect to the server for 4 months until they shut the site down. Repeated requests for help went unanswered. I would think it was an OS problem, but all these problems are specific to only a few applications and websites, and most other similar applications and websites etc. work just fine on my computer. I really don't know what the problem is, but each so called solution just causes me more problems and no fixes. Sorry for the length of this post.
A.J.
P.S. BTW, I did close Realplayer systray start center when trying to install the other player and this didn't help. All the entries in the system info have been pretty consistent for the time I've had this computer and I never had problems with these programs before. I suspect it has to do mostly with me removing those unknown devices from device manager last week. I ran full scandisk, downloaded latest virus definitions, ran full virus scan, no viruses, rebooted before installing with new installer. The only programs that are running at start up are programs that NEED to be running for my computer and peripherals to operate properly. Done.
Old 22nd February 2001, 21:02   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yes, removing those "unknown" entries from Device Manager could well be the source of all your problems, especially if you weren't experiencing the problems prior to this. These will have been things like audio & visual software/driver emulators. Without them, your sound & video cards will not be able to read certain data.
What I suggest is:
First, goto the Add New Hardware Control Panel & let Windows auto search for any hardware that isn't properly registered. If it finds anything, the drivers are probably still in your System dir, but need to be recognized & registered. Point Windows to your C:\Windows\Inf dir in order for it to locate the relevant drivers. If it says that it couldn't find any relevant info there, try C:\Windows\System. If all else fails, point it to your Windows Installation CD-ROM. Depending on the search results, you may need to point Windows to your Soundcard or Videocard installation CD-ROM's, if you have them. If not, re-install the latest drivers for both of these cards.

Before re-installing these (latest) drivers, you should goto:
Add/Remove Programs Control Panel -> Windows Setup tab
Hi-lite "Multimedia" & click "Details"
Make sure that the following are checkmarked:
Audio Compression | Video Compression | Media Player
Though everything in here should be checkmarked, with only "Sound Schemes" & "Sample Sounds" being the optional choices.
Click "Okay" and make sure your Windows CD-ROM is in the drive.
If anything was missing, Windows will re-install it.

You should now consider re-installing your Sound & Video card drivers (preferably the latest versions) & also DirectX (preferably v7.0a, avoid v8 for now if possible)

A good troubleshooting tool is the DirectX Diagnostic Tool:
C:\Windows\System\DXDIAG.EXE
Though, if it finds any problems, it simply tells you to reinstall DirectX.

Re: Internet Explorer problem/s:
Try going to : Add/Remove Programs CPL
Scroll down for Micro$oft Internet Explorer -> Click "Add/Remove" -> Select the "Repair IE" option -> Okay

You could also try opening the Network Control Panel
If there was any problems, when you click "Okay" to close Network CPL, Windows will rebuild the Network database & will ask to be pointed to the relevant drivers. Again, select C:\Windows\System, as this is where the latest drivers will already be stored.

BTW, what version of IE do you have?
I recommend v5.1 with SP1

Sad to say, I can't really help you with the IE plug-in problem.
Only the plug-in developer can help you there!
Though, if it were my decision, I'd uninstall it for good!

Re: Floppy Disc problems:
Can you expand a bit on this problem please?
Are any problems/conflicts listed in Device Manager?

At the end of the day, re-installing Windows might not be a bad idea after all.
You won't lose any of your other software/programs or any personal data.
It doesn't overwrite any of that!
The main thing to remember is:
If during setup, Windows asks you:
"A file being copied is older than the one already on your computer.
Do you wish to keep this file?"
Select "Yes"
This way, it will ensure that you have all the latest software/drivers & none of your updates will be overwritten.
The main purpose of re-installing Windows will be to fix all your Registry settings.

I hope this helps.
Let us know how ya get on.
Old 24th February 2001, 21:04   #11
umqQjf20

Hi,
Basically the problems persist, and I also found some new ones. Besides the ones already listed, I can't use or reinstall shockwave, I can't open or play any games on my PC,I can't open a calendar I created in Microsoft Greetings Workshop, and different plugins work differently in IE 5.5 SP 1 and Netscape 6.1. Basically in IE, they don't work at all, and in Netscape sometimes they work. I tried to reinstall IE 5.5 SP 1 and internet tools and got this error: SETUP CANNOT CONTINUE BECAUSE FILES ARE MISSING FROM THE INSTALLATION DIRECTORY PLEASE RUN SETUP AGAIN AND CHOOSE RESUME SETUP. THIS WILL DOWNLOAD THE MISSING FILES AND CONTINUE SETUP. I did this and came up with the same error message again. This also happened a few months ago when I tried to reinstall IE.
Based on the suggestions you gave me in your last reply, here are the results:
1.) I went to ADD NEW HARDWARE, let Windows auto search for any new hardware that isn't properly registered and it found nothing. I reinstalled the latest drivers for my video card. I hesitate in reinstalling my sound card drivers, because the only available ones are on the DELL COMPUTER website and are only compatible with Windows 98. I installed these drivers before I upgraded to Windows ME, and since Dell will not support me anymore because I am not running Windows 98 if something goes wrong, I am screwed.
2.) I went to MULTIMEDIA IN ADD/REMOVE and everything was the way you said it should be. Nothing was missing.
3.) I ran DXDIAG.EXE a few times and it didn't run and it crashed my computer each time. I had to reboot out of there a few times.
4.) I reinstalled DIRECT X 8.0A because that was the version I had currently running on my computer.
5.) I repaird IE.
6.) As far as opening the NETWORK PANEL, I didn't do it, because I have a cable modem and the last time I went in there it made some drastic changes that messed up my internet connection, so I didn't want to go through that again.
7.) As far as my floppy disk problems are concerned, I can read and write data, it's just that I cannot boot to or create a Windows startup disk or Norton Anti-Virus Rescue disks. I can reformat floppies from there, but I also cannot run the DELL DIAGNOSTICS floppy disk to check what is wrong with the drive. This has been going on for a long time, and I'll have to get Dell to replace it for me. Why they haven't already escapes me, but I'll get that problem taken care of ASAP with them.
My only plan now is to reinstall Windows ME, but the last time I did that, (I used the Windows ME stepup CD and upgraded from Windows 98SE) when the intaller got to the part about recoginizing the hardware on my PC, it just crashed and kept going around in circles never getting past that point. It took 5 hours with Microsoft Tech Support to finally install the OS, so I want to make sure I have a lot of time before I attempt to reinstall Windows.
I created a folder with the 10 error messages I got when trying to re-install Winamp, and if you are interested you can read them here: http://www.filepool.net/e?clip=CTNB8...eEQAHF1RUH1IC7
winamp install errors (1.74 MB)
Attachment powered by FilePool.com
Read them in order from 1-10.
I'll let you know what happens after I re-install Windows. Thanks for all your help.
A.J.
Old 27th February 2001, 02:49   #12
umqQjf20

Hi,
I just wanted to say that after a very difficult reinstall of Windows ME, and over 5 hours on the phone with Microsoft Tech Support, I finally solved all my install and run problems, and Winamp and all the other applications I was having trouble with over these past few weeks have all reinstalled properly and are running like charms. I want to thank you DJ EGG for all the help you gave me, and if I ever have any more Winamp problems, I'll see you then. Thankyou.
A.J.
Old 28th February 2001, 05:52   #13
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yeehar! I'm very happy for ya
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support