Old 8th December 2014, 01:31   #1
musicf8
Major Dude

Winamp + DJing discussion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockingbird View Post

"Winamp! No longer the number one choice for DJs needing flexible 3rd party support for their techno music ectasy raves".
real DJs don't use winamp...

anyway, you can't expect someone to add a feature because YOU want it... why not take the time and write software or a plug in to do what you want it to do?
musicf8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 01:32   #2
djpete
Major Dude

Hey I heard that!

so well over 2000 paid shows using Winamp and I'm not a real DJ?
I'll be over in the corner sulking if you need me..
:-)

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 01:34   #3
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpete View Post
Hey I heard that!
Haha, don't get me wrong, if I could use winamp to manage my DJ set whenever I moved to software DJing, then i'd be all about it
Old 8th December 2014, 01:35   #4
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpete View Post
so well over 2000 paid shows using Winamp and I'm not a real DJ?
I'll be over in the corner sulking if you need me..
:-)
Okay, but HOW do you mix and beatmatch the music with winamp? this must be new to me

-edit... ohhh i didnt think of broadcast djing, i only think of mixing djing when I hear dj, my bad
Old 8th December 2014, 01:36   #5
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicf8 View Post
real DJs don't use winamp...
exactly and is why Winamp + Source DSP is just a basic means to get broadcasting and there's better dedicated options to do it (though for some, using Winamp in such a case works well for their needs, especially the people who've made or use plug-ins to improve certain functionality for their needs).

though you can also say that real DJs don't use software that relies on Winamp plug-ins to do things like some that i've seen of late which claim to be the be all and end all of broadcasting management, yet rip off Winamp dlls (and old ones at that) to bolster format support and functionality the program doesn't provide natively. but that's going off on a tangent.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 02:02   #6
djpete
Major Dude

yep lots of variations of a so called Dj.
the main thing is that you have people up on the dancefloor dancing and having a good time.
If that doesn't happen it doesn't matter if you are using vinyl, cd or mp3, the night is still a flop.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 8th December 2014, 02:19   #7
musicf8
Major Dude

That truly is really the point. Really when it comes to mixing DJs it's about their programming skills on the playlist, and to have the dancefloor full.

I used to think DJs required some kind of controller or hardware, but a little while ago saw a DJ on a huge touch screen lcd... it's amazing how things have changed.

Everything will probably move to touchscreen anyway, at least until the DJ becomes obsolete because they already have software that "chooses" your next song. It's only a matter of time before a playlist is completely automated and mixed.
Old 8th December 2014, 03:18   #8
Aminifu
Forum King

It will be a long time, imo, before software is able to judge the mood of the crowd at live events and keep things moving (fast and slowdowns as needed). The current tools just help a real human DJ do a better job and you don't have to lug so much stuff around.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v20H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2014, 04:04   #9
djpete
Major Dude

yep that's the art of djing. Reading the crowd and keeping people surprised with a good mix of awesome tracks. Beatmixing skills and all the rest are great but in my line of work being mobile dj, we are always playing say a top 40 song then into a dance track so it can be more a crossfade than beatmixing that is required in that case anyway.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 8th December 2014, 04:31   #10
musicf8
Major Dude

Give it time and pandora or itunes will have an auto-dj mode.... maybe another decade?

Not like it would stop people from going to parties
Old 8th December 2014, 06:07   #11
Aminifu
Forum King

With sophisticated AI routines and cameras providing crowd reaction feedback at live events, it will be possible to automate things. With the pace of technological change, 10 years may be enough, but I'll bet it with take longer. Many radio programs are already automated.

Nothing is more satisfying for a DJ than to see people enjoying themselves and knowing that he/she is largely responsible for it. I lean to trying to keep people excited and involved, rather than surprised (in terms of new music). I've been successful in judging what people will like, but I keep the introduction of new music to a minimum. I started on the radio and took occasional requests. On the radio it was mostly about pleasing me (and hoping the listeners liked it, which the rating said they usually did), doing live parties was totally different.

Living through the disco era, I'm also aware of the power of visual effects to augment the music. But they must not be over done.

Old 30th January 2015, 16:44   #12
Mancunian

besides all the rubbish 'automix' that PLAYERS provide.. (they never work anyway because of tempo differences)
... now if Winamp could have a tempo controller...... not for mixing lol, just some of my mp3's have been recorded too fast.. and i wouldnt mind being able to lower/raise the pitch slightly
I dont want to use audio editing software on hundreds of tracks as i'd have to re-tag them all... again
Mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 16:47   #13
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancunian View Post
I dont want to use audio editing software on hundreds of tracks as i'd have to re-tag them all... again
Usually tagging is transferred over, at least that's how I noticed with Sound Forge (on most part). I'd think the bigger issue is editing an mp3 or other lossy file that would cause degradation of quality.
Old 30th January 2015, 17:33   #14
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
... now if Winamp could have a tempo controller...... not for mixing lol, just some of my mp3's have been recorded too fast.. and i wouldnt mind being able to lower/raise the pitch slightly
(
There are 3rd party plug-ins for that. You may be able to find 1 that works with the Winamp version you have (hopefully the current version ) with a google search.

Old 30th January 2015, 20:41   #15
Mancunian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
There are 3rd party plug-ins for that. You may be able to find 1 that works with the Winamp version you have (hopefully the current version ) with a google search.
Thanks.. legendary in fact mate..
cant believe googling slipped my mind.. but only plug-in i have is audioburst output and the mmd skin
10euros seems excessive for a plug in.. is that normal costs ? free version is ok for now but the memory option seems tempting..
would still like a built in one within winamp as i'd rather pay winamp than some 3rd party
Mancunian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2015, 20:43   #16
musicf8
Major Dude

Quote:
Thanks.. legendary in fact mate..
cant believe googling slipped my mind.. but only plug-in i have is audioburst output and the mmd skin
10euros seems excessive for a plug in.. is that normal costs ? free version is ok for now but the memory option seems tempting..
would still like a built in one within winamp as i'd rather pay winamp than some 3rd party
Personal opinion, I would avoid buying a winamp plugin until the new version comes out, so that you can scope how long the plugin will work for.

I mean, you never know, they might completely revamp the whole plugin method of winamp.
Old 30th January 2015, 21:43   #17
djpete
Major Dude

Pacemaker will adjust the tempo. Avail from our Winamp Enthusiasts page. Tried and tested on latest Winamp without issue..

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Wina...h/?query=tempo

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion