Old 28th May 2008, 21:59   #1
RedSkyRider

Uninstall Winamp Toolbar for Firefox

I had to unistall Winamp, because it was not correctly installed. Now I need to remove Winamp Toolbar for Firefox, but Windows says I'm not allowed to do it. Does anybody know what I can do?
RedSkyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2008, 23:11   #2
JonnyMac

How did you try to uninstall it?

In the Mozilla Firefox folder from the Start button should be a Icon marked Mozilla Firefox (safe mode). Start FF from that icon.

Then while in Firefox safe-mode, click on the Tools menu > Add-ons > in the Add-ons box click on Winamp Toolbar and you will have the option of Disabling or Uninstalling Winamp Toolbar

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 21:56   #3
RedSkyRider

Thanks for your assistance, but I think I didn't explain myself clearly. I want to remove Winamp Toolbar for Firefox, but Firefox has never been on my computer. It entered the system with Winamp when Winamp was downloaded. Later on, when I knew that Winamp was not correctly installed, I had to remove it. It was then when I found out there was that damned Firefox Toolbar. Every time I try to uninstall it, I get the following message: "You're not allowed to remove it. Get in touch with the administrator of the system". And I don't know who I have to get in touch with, because no other person than me has ever used this PC. I was really disappointed when I had to remove Winamp, and I'm loooking forward to reinstall it properly, but first I have to eliminate all the elements of that first installation. If you're still reading this, well, thanks again!
RedSkyRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2008, 23:52   #4
JonnyMac

If you don't have FireFox, Toolbar for FF should not be installed. However, if Winamp Toolbar for FireFox was installed it would be in...

Windows 2000 Windows XP
C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ProfileName\Extensions

Windows Vista
C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ProfileName\Extensions

There also might be a WinampToolbarData folder in the ProfileName folder.

The Application Data folder is hidden by default, so you may need to checkmark "show hidden files/folders" in: Control Panel > Folder Options > View tab (based on WinXP)

So, if you don't have a Mozilla folder in the App Data folder, it is a good bet that Winamp Toolbar was not installed. At a guess, what might have happened is the Toolbar uninstall program was inadvertently installed.
Old 9th July 2008, 07:08   #5
KillerZ82

Jonny Mac i can't believe the way you address people...outrageous....also i use vista have the exact same problem as this guy and came accross this thread while searching for an answer...tell me this...why if someone doesn't have firefox on their system does winamp dl include the firefox toolbar..also why it seem to be unable to be removed using the normal means.....how could the uninstaller be inadvertently installed....he just as i did had problems with winamp...so did what anyone would do and uninstalled it....not inadvertantly and he as i did most likely didn't inadvertantly install winamp...sounds like winamp must have been the culprit....and you just are going to leave the subject like this......you might as well have said if there is no mozilla folder then it is a good bet you are not going to get help removing the toolbar from you program list here.....go away......nice job...also red sky if you read this i would hope you found another program to use and got the toolbar deleted.....good luck with the moderating jonny
KillerZ82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 07:14   #6
KillerZ82

Here you go red sky if your still around then go here
http://improve-it.blogspot.com/2008/...r-firefox.html

hope this works for anyone trying having the same issue, little bit of trouble but after reading this thread i really don't care to have anything winamp on my pc..

and jonny...at least give the author of this the cred if you pretend to know something and use it in the future
KillerZ82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2008, 09:11   #7
JonnyMac

@KillerZ82

The moderators and members of the forums volunteer their time to provide tech support. We are end users like you. AOL provides Winamp Toolbar and not being an employee of AOL it is a educated guess as to what may be going on.

In the first reply I gave instructions to RedSkyRider for the procedure that you linked to, however when RedSkyRider stated that FF was not on the system it was clear that the procedure was not applicable in his or her case. So then I explained where the relevant files could be found, so they could manually be removed if they were there.

I was not being pedantic or disingenuous, what I mentioned had already been covered in other threads by other members. There is no need for you to be disrespectful to the people who volunteer their time to provide help. Ironically and somewhat hypocritically the procedure you posted would not work for RedSkyRider, because as stated in this thread, FF is not on the system. So you are not the one to be judging someone else's reply. If you are going to criticize someone else’s replies, make sure that you read the entire thread and have as full understanding of the situation at hand.
Old 9th July 2011, 22:38   #8
wilkim

Sadly, if this is the best information on uninstalling the Winamp toolbar from Firefox, and Firefdox has locked Winamp into its system, I must kiss Firefox goodbye forever. Does anyone have a 1-2-3 routine for ridding Firefox of this damnable and completely unwanted addition? As winamp keeps muttering under its breath, it can kiss my llama's a...
wilkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support