Old 10th November 2002, 15:16   #1
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

Jupiter

Still early, but here we go:

And with neon activated:

The neon will pulsate with the beat and respond to button clicks and volume adjustment. I'm expecting this skin to cause several CPUs to explode. I still have a lot of work to do, reworking some of the icons, adding some buttons and of course filling in the display. I also have optional wood grain for some of the elements.

Back to work...
rpeterclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2002, 15:42   #2
Halfbaked

Thumbs up nice

I like how it looks so far. I also like the idea of the neon lights pulsating to the beat.
Halfbaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2002, 15:43   #3
digitalspyder

HEHE FIRST REPLY :)

ok first to comment on this

this is looking great, usual for you peter

i like the neon effect, it's resembles to mercury a little bit as far as the colors, but that will change definitaly cause i'm sure there will be a lot of color themes
and as you said it's still in progress, so i hope that you accept my coments constructive .

./end of transmission
digitalspyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2002, 15:46   #4
digitalspyder

oh no!

ah. you beat me halfbaked
digitalspyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2002, 15:54   #5
Roberto Cuellar

great work, very usual of you, i like the neon effect but i hope that the beat detection won't take many cpu resources, and also it'll be cool if you add some custom vis people get tired of the same two very easily. I know you'll surprise us with your ideas and coding skills. Now that i was trying to spent less time in the forums i guess i'll be here even more waiting for some update release.
Roberto Cuellar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2002, 15:57   #6
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

Thanks! I'm expecting that the pulsating neon WILL take up a lot of CPU power, so I will make a Configure panel again where you can select what events trigger it, or disable it altogether.

I skimped out of doing the custom visualizations on Mercury, but I think this skin has a much more suitable display area, so I will be sure to put in a bunch.
Old 10th November 2002, 16:28   #7
Roberto Cuellar

i know i'm out of focus with this but i've tried do do some similar effect of the backgorund_plastic_cover.png of neptune and the glass.png of mercury but really i have no idea how to do that glass cover effect, i thought maybe you can help me a little with it or you know a tutorla or somehing about it. Not trying to rip your design just that it's a really cool effect and it would look nice on a design i'm workin now.
Thanks
Old 10th November 2002, 16:57   #8
ziege

Wow you've done so much already! Looking sweet, especially the neon.
ziege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2002, 17:23   #9
deepu_s

Send a message via AIM to deepu_s
looks excelltory
deepu_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2002, 17:47   #10
cakemikz

Send a message via AIM to cakemikz Send a message via Yahoo to cakemikz
omg omg omg jupiter thread..WOO
cakemikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2002, 18:04   #11
hammerhead
The Shark
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to hammerhead
Quote:
i know i'm out of focus with this but i've tried do do some similar effect of the backgorund_plastic_cover.png of neptune and the glass.png of mercury but really i have no idea how to do that glass cover effect, i thought maybe you can help me a little with it or you know a tutorla or somehing about it. Not trying to rip your design just that it's a really cool effect and it would look nice on a design i'm workin now.
Do you mean the alpha (opacity) changer slider? Can i please have a script for that too? please? please? please? please?
hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2002, 18:10   #12
Roberto Cuellar

i didn't mean the script that changes the opacity of the png i meant how to do the png itself(in photoshop) of course that if you want to give us some of the script it would be great.
Old 10th November 2002, 18:52   #13
SNYder
Forum King

This skin has extreme potential. Looking good so far.
SNYder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2002, 19:37   #14
FizzyB

to be honest

To be honest Rpeterclark I dont like this very much, It's well made and has a nice shine, but the shape is VERY amature in my opinoin and the blue neon seems out of place, and it seems to distort the skin. I'd say tone the blue down a bit...and change the shape. Although this is just my opinoin.
Great work on your last two skins im sure this will grow to be just as good.

Peace
Fizzy

P.S dont flame me, im entitled to an opinoin

Edit:
just looked at the pic a bit more, maybe scaling it down a bit would be good? it seems a bit big. and the corners with the dimples in them would look better totally chopped off. I still think a rework of the shape would be good though
Cya
FizzyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2002, 19:54   #15
killerwibble

Send a message via AIM to killerwibble
Nice

I like the shape, but I it is a wee bit too large for my tastes. The reason I don't use boom and MMd3 is the fact that both are a little too large. Neptune was the perfect size, and Boom in undocked mode worked well too.

Question tho, besides the neon wut animations do you have in mind? Perhaps the EQ and playlist can flip down or something?
killerwibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2002, 20:29   #16
hammerhead
The Shark
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to hammerhead
maybe there will be a smaller mode for all you size freaks! jus' kidding
hammerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2002, 20:38   #17
Halfbaked

Thumbs up obviously

i am almost sure that he'll make a winshade mode, that skin is way to big to not have it. Also, seeing how Mercury was done, I think he'll make a medium sized mode, too.
Old 10th November 2002, 21:16   #18
bizarro54

ok

whahoo!!! Jupiter. looks great but in my opinion there are a few areas that look wierd to me. One is the corners with the dimples, just looks kinda out of place. The second are the areas left and right of the thinger. Everything is rounded off and then there are the two "sharp" areas. Those are my opinions so please dont flame me.
bizarro54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2002, 21:17   #19
killerwibble

Yeah, Mercury's many modes were very cool. It's just that when I listen to music I'm usually in photoshop or word so I don't want a huge section of my work cut off. I could always bump up my resolution but I prefer to be able to read most text. -_-
Old 10th November 2002, 21:32   #20
shznyt

I like it so far, sure to be great! I love the pulsing idea, even if I wouldn't use it all the time it would be cool to have sometimes! I also think you should get rid of the dimples, it makes it look too much like mercury. And if you cut the top corners off where the dimples are, it would look a little more planetary, more like a spaceship. I can't believe how fast you work! Amazing man!
shznyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2002, 21:59   #21
-=RoNtZ=-
Major Dude

Location: Universe > Milkyway > Sol > Earth > Europe > Germany > Bavaria > Near Nuremberg
Send a message via ICQ to -=RoNtZ=- Send a message via AIM to -=RoNtZ=- Send a message via Yahoo to -=RoNtZ=-
yoooo )) that's typical rpc-style!
amazing!
but i'm the same opinion as fizzyb in one point: please tone the blue down! it makes the skin looking... "cheap".. and we all now, that it's everything else than that!!
and for the guys who meant, that the shape is too big: i think i remember that there were some guys saying the same in the beginning of mercury... and now the shade-modes are great.. i'd say, let him his time! that was just the very first ss!
..... *looking forward using ur skin*

Frozen skins: Gravestone Betaskins: Mushroom ::-:: The Claw
In development: TechnodropFinished: Draculas Helmet (<-- still waiting for some color themes!) ::-:: Hal's eye
-=RoNtZ=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2002, 23:14   #22
whatsitsname

ah screw to much CPU usage, use all the way baby!
but i suppose this might not include everyone, so far it looks nice.
and i was just wondering since you keep getting better at skinning imagine how good the last planet could be.but hey no pressure
whatsitsname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2002, 23:18   #23
The Rhino
Major Dude

the button design of the skin really appeals to me for some reason i dont know why but there is something about the shape of the skin that just feels out of place it could be the corners that stick out also the pulsing light idea is cool but the bright neon blue must go. sorry. but this skin shows alot of promise
The Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2002, 23:18   #24
whatsitsname

i just thought of an idea. perhaps the speakers could pulse neon?
whatsitsname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2002, 23:27   #25
Ice
Moderator Alumni
Americas Favorite Smut Peddler

Very very cool. Sorta reminds me of my Sony deck in my car with the blue neon tints... (I have the deck with the "Active Black Panel".. when you press a button it spins around and there are a whole bunch of buttons).

It'd be really cool if there was a full screen mode with everything on one pannel. That'd rock so much.

I'd like to meet a mad man who makes it all seem sane
To work out all these troubles and what there is to gain
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2002, 00:44   #26
mc^^^^
Forum King

Location: Perth, Australia MSN: mcbriar@ii.net Posts: All your posts are belong to me!!!!
i like it, its nice and clean like normal. but to be honest i expected a little more... and im sure we will see more

mc^^^^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2002, 03:04   #27
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

Hey thanks everyone!

Roberto Cuellar, I'll get in touch with you about the glass effect, it's just a Photoshop shape layer with styles applied to it, it is somewhat based on styles I saw somewhere else. (Robouk's site maybe?)

hammerhead, if you want the Glass Opacity script from Mercury, just open it up and pull it out. The only tricky things about it are that it's values are stored in studio.xnf, and making the dynamicly created components use the values was a bit of a pain, but if you look around in there, you'll see how it works, otherwise just PM me your questions.

For those worried about the pulsating neon, I kind of anticipated it would be a love it/hate it for most people so I'm going to make it as customizable as possible, you'll be able to select what triggers it, adjust it's intensity, or disable it entirely.

It's going to have all the goodies of Mercury with many modes in varying sizes, color themes, adjustable everything, etc. I know this main mode is a bit large, but it's the "showoff" mode, not really practical for continuous use, but cool looking to have on your desktop once in a while.

That underlying scoop on the bottom is probably going to get little grooves in it from which a big drawer will pop down with either the configure panel or the EQ. The dimple area on the top is still in flux, I might use that space for some window control buttons, or as a few suggested, chop it off, we shall see how it goes.

mc^^^^, it can be hard to live up to the hype! This skin still has a ways to go so hopefully I'll be able to impress you by the time it's done.

I'll keep you all posted!
Old 11th November 2002, 03:09   #28
Supremacey

Very cool indeed. Unique shape as well. Hopefully, it'll be packed with lots of features [a wa3 skin isn't one without some features].

Keep it up!

PS: Is it me, or do the colours look VERY similar to those of Mercury?!?!

GO CANUCKS GO
Supremacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2002, 03:14   #29
killerwibble

RPC correct me if I'm wrong but i think greyscale is easiest to code color themes on. so he's just making it easier on those who want to technicolor the skin later on down the road.

Ahh yes, would it be possible to color theme the neon as well? Let's say we don't like blue, would it be possible to fiddle with that?

Also concerning the slide down, would it be too hard to make a flip animation instead of a sliding ani? like maybe the thinger would flip out into a playlist or the LCD would flip out into a playlist. I dunno if that's possible but it'd look pretty spiffy. ^_^
Old 11th November 2002, 03:22   #30
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

Yeah, I am making the whole thing greyscale to start off with again, just seems easier to theme later on, and yes the neon color will be themed too.

I wish I could make it so that you could adjust the color of the neon with some sliders, but I don't think it's going to be possible with the amount of alpha blending going on, so it will have to be up to the selected theme to pick the color.
Old 11th November 2002, 03:25   #31
Adil
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Adil Send a message via AIM to Adil Send a message via Yahoo to Adil
I remember some people had seen similarities between Mercury and Boom (also neojb remote) now I see similarities between Jupiter and MMD3...
The volume knob, the size, the texture, the buttons...

I think rpeterclark is a great skinner, I just wish his skins had more originality.

If anyone thinks I'm wrong, no need to start flaming, I'm just expressing my point of view and nothing else.

-Adil
Adil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2002, 03:57   #32
killerwibble

Well both MMD3 and Jupiter seem boxy, and the volume knobs are similar but other than that I don't see much similarity. I see it as a unique skin. I dunno if I'm missing something that's glaringly obvious.. but just my 2 cents.
Old 11th November 2002, 03:58   #33
rpeterclark
Major Dude
(Reviewer)

I don't want to start anything, but I don't think it's that similar to MMD3. If you mean it's somewhat rectanglar and metal looking, I guess, but I thought the neon, face design and the swoopiness of it is fairly original...

As for the originality of Mercury, it has all kinds of stuff I hadn't seen before I made it, configurable sliding tabs, drop-down mode select, tabbed configure panel, adjustable glass opacity. I really don't see any similarities between Mercury and BOOM.

With the popularity of a skin like MMD3, every skin is going to be compared to it, half the comments on Winamp's Mercury page have something to do with MMD3 or BOOM. Who's to say the MMD3 volume knob doesn't look too much like and of the ZDL skins volume knobs, I think it's just a particular look that's trying to be achieved.

I like to think I have my own style, if anything I think Jupiter looks too much like Mercury than MMD3, but everyone IS entitled to thier own opinion.
Old 11th November 2002, 04:45   #34
ziege

Quote:
Originally posted by Adil
I remember some people had seen similarities between Mercury and Boom (also neojb remote) now I see similarities between Jupiter and MMD3...

I think rpeterclark is a great skinner, I just wish his skins had more originality.

If anyone thinks I'm wrong, no need to start flaming, I'm just expressing my point of view and nothing else.
You're wrong. I'm not gonna flame but can I just say that you're on another planet? Mercury like Boom? WHat? Jupiter like MMD3?? Jeez you aren't the only person that can draw a nice skin, and at least RPC actually codes his and doesn't insult other peoples work.

Just expressing my point of view, nothing else.

Btw RPC I *love* the blue, glad you aren't gonna scrap it coz some ppl dont like it. Reminds me of that Technics stereo with the blue neons down each side. Blue neon + Silver = gorgeous
ziege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2002, 04:49   #35
Halfbaked

yup

I'd probably say Jupiter looks more like Michael Jackson than MMD3, but than that would be taking it too far.

Last edited by Halfbaked; 11th November 2002 at 05:28.
Old 11th November 2002, 05:21   #36
sanosuke
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Adil

-Adil
ur right they r similar...they r works of art...

the neo effect looks nice but i rather have it off...it looks quite ordinary now but i am sure rpeter is going to suprise us with something cool arn't u??
sanosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2002, 05:42   #37
stauf

Send a message via ICQ to stauf Send a message via AIM to stauf
Does jupiter strike anyone else as being very similar to mercury?

Not just the colours - but the dimples, and the gradient and such.

Not to say thats a bad thing or anything - but I don't see myself using jupiter *and* mercury at the same time (like using MMD3 for its largest mode, and mercury 'stick' mode)

Other then that - can't wait for a glimpse at the winshade mode.

(And I can't see anything much tying jupiter to MMD3 - with the possible exception that they both have volume 'knobs'.)
stauf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2002, 05:46   #38
RandomCarpet

to be honest, didn't approve Jupiter's shape by first sight, maybe change something about the rect (upper) corners, rpeterclark, other than that it's going to be an amazing skin, mm the neon idea is very nice and unique
in my opinion behind the info displayed in the lcd some cool layer_fx based custom visualization should exist
learning how to cope with fx functions can be pain in the ass, but definitely worth it

Latest skin: fCrcl
RandomCarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2002, 06:07   #39
StriplingRz

Thumbs up Sweettttttt

Peter this looks awesome! I'm really into your skins lately. Have you started on the shade modes for this one yet? A mini with the Big Red spot for Jupiter would be cool.

And I think you're style is original. At least its not crap like half the skins that get posted.
StriplingRz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2002, 06:25   #40
iPlayTheSpoons
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to iPlayTheSpoons
hmm, i guess its time i put in my two cents. this skin is kinda leavng me with mixed feelings. it is VERY well designed and as awlays the graphics and what not are top notch. i know it been said, but this looks alot like mercury's style...like it should be put under "big mode" or something. again, not to say it isnt good. i do NOT think it looks at all like MMD3...i mean, alot of skins have play buttons AND display screens these days, right? ya. and a skin called xenon by naos has a siliar pulsating blue light effect. i would never acuse you of ripping, just know that its out there. well, thats me. cant wait to see what you descide to do with this
iPlayTheSpoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Modern Skins