Old 19th December 2004, 04:16   #1
Grassy

Don't import video files ?

Is there some way of using the 'Add Folder' function in the Winamp (5.07) playlist so that it only imports audio files, not video files ? I have a mix of audio & video files in common directories but only want to import the audio files.

Thanks.
Grassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2004, 06:11   #2
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

Send a message via ICQ to billyvnilly Send a message via AIM to billyvnilly
I can give you two workarounds (but basically what im saying is, i dont know if there is an easier way):

one workaround would possibly be to have a vb script remove all video files AFTER you have added everything from a folder. To do this, you need to 1)download ShaneH's Active Winamp then 2)goto his thread here and kindly ask him to write a vb script for you that removes all video types. [edit]or do it yourself or ask someone who knows bbs[/edit]

the second workaround is to download Dynamic Library, discussion here. close winamp. save it in winamp\plugins\. Open winamp. Open preferneces, find Dyanamic Library in the left column, and set it to only recognize music files. Then Add the Root folder that you want to Dynamic Library. You can Add your folders from here instead of adding them from winamp's add folder.

Last edited by billyvnilly; 19th December 2004 at 06:42.
billyvnilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2004, 01:23   #3
Grassy

Thanks billyvnilly, I have done it in the past with an older version (but still 5.0x) without having to do what you described but have just reinstalled XP and now can't get Winamp to ignore all video file types.

I have disassociated all video file formats in Winamp so I thought that would be enough to do it. I guess the only other option is to use the Media Library where it seems to split up the audio and video files and create the playlist form there, just annoying that it used to work by using playlists in the past which is the easiest way to add files.

Cheers.
Old 20th December 2004, 01:30   #4
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Did that older version have video support?

If you don't want to play videos in winamp you can simply remove in_dshow.dll from the plugins directory (or rename it to eg. .bak).
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2004, 03:59   #5
Grassy

It probably did have video support as it was a 5.0x version (don't remember the exact version, probably 5.02/5.03) but I don't use winamp for watching video files on my PC anyway.

It's not that I want to remove the ability to play video files, I just want to stop Winamp importing them into the playlist in the first place. If I do as you suggest, they will still be in the playlist but I suspect will popup an error when it comes to that video item in the playlist.

There was a way I did this with the earlier 5.0x version but can't recall how I actually did it, I thought it was to do with removing the file associations but that does not seem to be working with this version or it might have been something selected during setup installation.

Do you know if the older versions are available somewhere for download ?

Cheers.
Old 20th December 2004, 04:07   #6
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

If you install Winamp 5.0X with Video support, it will load video files and try to play them

If you install Winamp 5.0X without video support it will not load them and play them.

In no previous version of Winamp could you install Winamp with video support and NOT have it try to load and play videos.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2004, 04:53   #7
Grassy

OK, thanks, that's most likely the reason but I must have missed that during the setup, will reinstall winamp later tonight and hopefully that should be sorted out. Note I've got no issue with using Winamp for playing videos, I assume it does a good job but I only use the PC for listening to MP3s, not videos (Mr Xbox does that for me )...

Cheers.
Old 20th December 2004, 05:24   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Or you could remove the extensions (avi, mpg, etc) from in_dshow config
(Prefs > Plugins > Input > DirectShow decoder > config).
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2004, 09:37   #9
Grassy

Thanks DJ Egg, that worked.

Cheers.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support