Old 12th December 2010, 19:38   #1
xxtoni

List of broadcasting tools

Greetings

Before you delete this thread please hear me out. After months of researching I failed to find a good list or comparison of good or professional broadcasting tools. I can't believe that nobody bothers to make a decent broadcasting tool. Now with the new DSP plugin out, it seems that things are getting better, but I would still like to have a list of good broadcasting tools, not just an encoder. So I would like to ask the SHOUTcast community here and everywhere to help me put together a list of tools: encoders, automation, live broadcasting and more. Please don't let this thread die, because I'm sure there are a lot more people looking for somethings like this.

I'll start with a few tools I found:
  1. B.U.T.T - a cross platform (Windows, Linux and Mac) encoder that supports SHOUTcast and Icecast. Definitely worth a look
  2. Nicecast - an excellent encoder for Mac OS, it allows using different applications like iTunes as the source.
  3. Traktor Pro - Traktor isn't a SHOUTcast broadcasting tool, but as said, you shouldn't limit yourself to tools that support SHOUTcast directly, every tool that is meant for live broadcasting is welcome here, and Traktor is awsome at just that.
  4. RADIOBOSS - I haven't tested this one, but found it in my bookmarks and thought that I should include it
  5. MegaSeg - Combined with Nicecast this could be a truly amazing combination for DJs using Mac OS.
  6. Steinberg NUENDO - I'm not really sure if this tool is meant for live broadcasting, but it looks very interesting and until I have a chance to test it I'll just leave it on the list

That's all I have this far, I'll update the list when I find some new tools and hopefully you guys understood what I'd like to do here and help me build this list.
xxtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 23:29   #2
fc*uk

I would add:

MuSE - MuSE is an application for the mixing, encoding, and network streaming of sound: it can mix up to 6 encoded audio bitstreams (from files or network, mp3 or ogg) plus a souncard input signal, the resulting stream can be played locally on the sound card and/or encoded at different bitrates, recorded to harddisk and/or streamed to the net.

Special Audio - various broadcasting tool products, notable SAM.

I would remove Traktor from you list. That's really a live DJ program. NI decided to add a nice little broadcast feature with the software to make it easier for the DJ. I would argue that including Traktor means one must also include all the * DJ programs (PC, Real DJ, Virtual), Torq, Ableton, Serato, etc.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2010, 23:34   #3
xxtoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc*uk View Post
I would add:

MuSE - MuSE is an application for the mixing, encoding, and network streaming of sound: it can mix up to 6 encoded audio bitstreams (from files or network, mp3 or ogg) plus a souncard input signal, the resulting stream can be played locally on the sound card and/or encoded at different bitrates, recorded to harddisk and/or streamed to the net.

Special Audio - various broadcasting tool products, notable SAM.

I would remove Traktor from you list. That's really a live DJ program. NI decided to add a nice little broadcast feature with the software to make it easier for the DJ. I would argue that including Traktor means one must also include all the * DJ programs (PC, Real DJ, Virtual), Torq, Ableton, Serato, etc.
Thanks, I forgot about SAM

Regarding the rest, well that was kinda the idea, what I wanted here is to add any software that allows DJ-ing BUT software like Ableton isn't really suitable, because as far as I know it doesn't provide a way to queue music.
Old 13th December 2010, 23:41   #4
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxtoni View Post
because as far as I know it doesn't provide a way to queue music.
Does Traktor do this now? Last I knew it did not.
Old 13th December 2010, 23:49   #5
xxtoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by fc*uk View Post
Does Traktor do this now? Last I knew it did not.
Touche

Since I have your attention I might as well ask. Is there any software like the one they use on radios (if they use software) for shoutcast ?
The closest that I've come across is MegaSeg,but thats Mac only.

Thanks in advance
Old 13th December 2010, 23:54   #6
fc*uk

Not that I am aware of. Closest one would most likely be SAM.
Old 19th December 2010, 06:32   #7
felix29304

Virtual DJ: http://www.virtualdj.com/ (any of the paid versions)
felix29304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2010, 12:41   #8
damn68

I bought virtualdj but don't know how to set it up to play and help can I use it with shoutcast
damn68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2012, 19:40   #9
Runegypsy

Does any of these tools work for winamp? the default broadcaster where u have to jump on to the soundcard then back to winamp on shoutcast is kind of frustration to talk with, im looking for a plugin where u press and hold ctrl and talk and it blends in with the music... But after searching Evrywhere i fall short of finding one..
Runegypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 22:07   #10
davor.geci

I would also add to the list AssBroadcast

It is an external application that interacts with Winamp.
It contains everything that an average radio station needs, like: Jingle players, Sweepers, pre-play (PFL) in another player, speak in, vocals, own playlist editor, interpolation of pre-prepared blocks of commercials, playlists. Works in a networked environment with own central database. It tracks played items, has its own playlist generator, you can generate various reports and much, much more.

P.S.
It only works with Winamp
I'm addicted to Winamp from the very beginning :-)
davor.geci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2012, 06:18   #11
voodoohippie

Send a message via Yahoo to voodoohippie
Don't forget this nice FREEware automation software

http://radiodj.ro

You'll need edcast reborn for the encoder (especially for multiple streams).

Great Broadcasting Software Windows XP/7/8
http://nextkast.com

For Progressive Rock, Classic Rock http://thelegacy.shorturl.com
voodoohippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2012, 17:42   #12
JE JaggedEdge

Send a message via ICQ to JE JaggedEdge Send a message via AIM to JE JaggedEdge Send a message via Yahoo to JE JaggedEdge
Just wanted to add one, that I ran across. This guy is offering it for free, until they officially release it as a paid application.

NextKast - NextKast 'Easy to USE' Internet Radio Automation Software

Hopefully, if someone out there uses this software, you'll come back and let people know how it works.

JE

.::.(())::. Urban Hitz Radio™ USA .::.(())::. The People' Choice for Hip-Hop & R&B!
Listen to Urban Hitz Radio - GET A Local or TOLL-FREE Request Line NOW...Only $2 Monthly
Request Line: 1-855 588-6767
JE JaggedEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2012, 06:43   #13
Brutish Sailor
Major Dude

Send a message via Skype™ to Brutish Sailor
You guys forgot my two favorite broadcasting FULL FEATURE applications on the Web.

#1) IDJC - For Linux. Its full featured, and its awesome. Its made for linux, and is in the Debian library. When you go to install it, it propts for Jack2, and you dont even have to go to terminal to run a JACK server anymore. Theirs honestly no reason anyone shouldn't try this, Free OS, Free software/streamer.

I donate to development. Its worth whatever I donate, fairchild is the man.

http://idjc.sourceforge.net/

#2) Lunarcaster- The newest version BLEW me away, the windows streaming game just got +1'ed in my book thanks to this program. Its a little different to set up, as you have to install MS framework 3.5 prior to installation, and MS MYSQL server prior to installation. Both extremely easy to install through MS site.

You add the codecs, and your set. Features include multiple streaming sources (YES, you can take multiple sources without stereo mix) and a whole SLEW of added little features I wish others had thought of.

http://www.lunarcaster.com/

I have actually been requesting to some features here, would recommend others get in on this:

http://forums.broadcastingworld.net/...6024#post76024

Oh yeah, I donate to development

I would stick to ZARARadio Free edition (probably the most full free featured standalone)\ edcast, but I ran into a snag.

Edcast takes the text of the program, and exports it to the server in the title XML socket.

NOW, with stuff like ICEcast KH32, If I dont plug the info to the specific XML socket, none of the exterior scripts work. SO, the answer?

Edcast has a patch that separates that text file it receives for SONG-ARTIST-ALBUM, and sorts it by a unique alpha-numeric identifier (like "-" or "%99%") So that edcast routes it to the appropriate XML sockets (title, artist, Album)

KNSJ.org 89.1 FM San Diego
Brutish Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2012, 21:02   #14
Dhol

lol i browse this forum always as guest but today had to reset password for posting here and here is
edcast reborn.........best forever
http://code.google.com/p/edcast-reborn/
Dhol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 09:32   #15
Trekkan

I've been working on my own software for years, well.. years ago I was working on it. I recently started coding on it again and put up a website for it. The website might not be available yet to everyone as DNS propagates, but... here it is: www.phoenixcast.net

It's still very much a work in progress, but... what's there, works. =)
Trekkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2012, 16:01   #16
Brutish Sailor
Major Dude

Send a message via Skype™ to Brutish Sailor
@Devor:

AssBroadcaster looks like what I have been looking for for Years, but their is NO WAY Im am paying these guys $200 for a program that plugs into winamp. But very cool.

@JE Jaggededge: This program has wildcard logic, and its simple to update the M3U files. Two thumbs up for this find.

KNSJ.org 89.1 FM San Diego
Brutish Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2012, 14:48   #17
davor.geci

Hi guys, I'm the author of this application (Assbroadcast). Thank you for your observations. The application has been around for almost 10 years, but just recently I decided to share it with the world. Several radio stations in Croatia is successfully using it for several years. It is difficult to form a price for what you build for 10 years.
But this was not the biggest problem, but what to do with users who have already purchased the program for $ 199. I did not put the application on the market to earn the big bucks, but to help people who also like winamp and use it for radio purposes. So I lowered the price to $ 59 and refunded the difference to existing customers. I'm still working on writing documentation and recording videos to help people learn the benefits of this application, but since I'm a single father of two children, it is a bit difficult.
So if you like the application, please be patient or maybe for your help.
Davor
davor.geci is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions