Old 2nd November 2012, 23:31   #1
webthing
Forum King

Sex offender tricked woman into digging her own grave

By Liam Ford
Tribune reporter
October 4, 2012

A convicted sex offender tricked a woman into digging her own grave in an Indiana sand dune, then killed her with an ax and chopped up her body because she had sex with his son, authorities say in court documents.

Johnnathan Fuller lured Sylvia Marie Jones to the beach in October of 2009, according to an affidavit filed with an arrest warrant issued last week. Fuller told Jones he had buried money on a beach in Gary and they were going to dig up the “loot,” a witness told investigators.

Jones’ skeletal remains were found on Aug. 30, 2010, by a man looking for snakes and lizards near 8801 Melton Road in Gary, between the Indiana Toll Road and U.S. Highway 20. They were not identified until September 2011, after Chesterton and state police investigating Jones’ disappearance were told by witnesses that Fuller had killed her.

Fuller was already in prison on a charge of neglecting a dependant when he was charged last week with Fuller's slaying.

Jones had lived with Fuller and his then-wife in Michigan City, Ind., for two months in the fall of 2009, his ex-wife told investigators last year. Fuller had been taking Jones’ Social Security money, the ex-wife said.

On Oct. 13, 2009, Jones was checked into the LaPorte Hospital after she attempted suicide. Fuller — despite having been a registered sex offender since 1999, according to records — was listed as having power of attorney for her, according to the affidavit.

Jones suffered from “mild retardation,” was cognitively deficient and had bipolar disorder, the affidavit says, citing hospital records.

Around the time Jones was hospitalized, Fuller caught Jones having sex with his son, according to the affidavit. “Sylvia was a problem and he took care of the problem,” Fuller’s ex-wife told police.

At the beach, Fuller took out a sledgehammer ax and hit Jones seven times, bashing her face in and cutting off her hands to make it difficult to identify her, the friend told investigators. “Fuller then … buried Sylvia Marie Jones in the hole she had dug,” according to the affidavit.

Fuller later told the friend he thought it was funny that he tricked Jones into “digging her own grave,” according to the affidavit.

When Jones’ mother called Fuller’s home to try to speak to her after she disappeared, Fuller threatened her, authorities said. “You ain’t going to never see your daughter or talk to her again,” Jones’ mother said Fuller told her, according to the affidavit. “If I have to, I’ll come get you too. … I’ll do you like I did her.”

In January 2011, Chesterton police began investigating Jones’ disappearance and took DNA samples from Jones’ mother and son. An analysis matched the samples to the remains. Authorities then questioned Jones' relatives and Fuller's ex-wife.

A warrant was issued on Sept. 24, and it was served on Fuller at the Wabash Valley Correctional Facility in Carlisle, Ind. on Wednesday, according to state police. Fuller is scheduled to appear in Lake County Court on Oct. 19 for an initial hearing, according to court records.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,3258618.story
webthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2012, 03:51   #2
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Quite sickening. So from what I gather, he was using this gal for her SSI money and then got mad at her when his son took advantage of her disability?

"Sledgehammer ax" is what I've been raised to call a "maul". I use them to split firewood almost every day. Hearing that someone uses such barbaric and gory approaches to kill someone is quite disturbing and proves that Jones wasn't the only one mentally challenged in this situation, not that any other form of killing is much better.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2012, 20:21   #3
rockouthippie
Banned

Yeah, you'd have to be pretty pissed to go after somebody with an axe. I don't think it's all that off base to examine the method of killing. There's killing somebody and there is chopping someone to bits with an axe after you made them dig their own grave.

That's what you call "murder with special circumstances" and I don't there is a big problem with making that distinction. I think killing someone in a moment of passion is quite different from luring a woman out to nowhere, tricking her into digging her own grave and chopping her to pieces with a splitting maul. Not date night in the barrio.

How this works legally. You get pissed and shoot your wife in a moment of rage with no premeditation. You'd get out of prison in a decade or so.

This guy is going away forever. Is that a problem? Is 12 years for 2nd degree murder too little? Is 20 years or life for premeditated murder too much? When we get to this aggravated murder stuff... that means we want to lock you up and throw away the key or in some states execute you? Is that really unreasonable? I think some axe wielding sex offender needs special treatment. He is really, really dangerous. Your average murderer probably isn't that dangerous to people at large. This guy shows he's a special case.

It's like our local serial killer of my acquaintance. Cesar Barone liked killing and raping elderly women. He liked shooting people with a .22 just because it hurt more. That's not your average bozo down at the pen for getting pissed and shooting his brother in law.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 4th November 2012 at 21:25.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2012, 21:23   #4
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Things like what you mention lead lawyers to decide what level of charge to use. This was clearly first degree murder, not another degree, and not manslaughter.

The act of swinging such a tool with your own muscles at a log of wood and seeing something so strong split in half is quite a profound experience.

Just thinking about someone who is aware of that and yet still makes plans to use a maul on a live, non-threatening human body shows how evil someone can be, especially after coercing the person to dig her own grave. That's fucking cold. As if things couldn't get worse, after witnessing himself doing these horrible acts, he had it in him to brag about it later.

If evidence proves the story to be true, the judge/jury should have a pretty easy time making decisions regarding his future.

Old 4th November 2012, 21:26   #5
rockouthippie
Banned

When the courts weigh stuff like this, it's called "special disregard for human life" and I think it's worth making a distinction over.

This guy is obviously a lot more dangerous than your average murderer.
Old 4th November 2012, 21:33   #6
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

This sounds like the kind of guy that terrorist organizations and Cold War type recruiters look for. Perhaps locking this guy up serves more purposes than just punishment.

Old 4th November 2012, 21:44   #7
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
This sounds like the kind of guy that terrorist organizations and Cold War type recruiters look for.
Actually, quite the opposite. What special operations recruiters want is "Kansas City Farm Boys". Very straight and a little hayseed. You don't make a weapon you don't think you'll be able to control. No use buying a shotgun that goes off by itself.

I'm sure Mohammed Jamal Khalifa is nice to his dog. Even Hitler had to look reasonable to the Germans. I think a lot of people, maybe even Hitler, go out with good intentions and then somehow it twists and becomes something evil.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter. And brutalized people are easy to lead down a bad road. If we could just concentrate on making life a little less brutal, I think we'd be ahead of the game.
Old 4th November 2012, 22:06   #8
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

I think this guy was very much under control, although it was his own control, not the external control a recruiter would want. Loss of control is what you see in crimes "in the heat of the moment". This guy had a controlled plan and controlled execution of the plan.

Old 4th November 2012, 22:14   #9
rockouthippie
Banned

Yeah, but even terrorist don't do anything with crazies except hook em to a bomb. Your CIA assassin would probably be a very ordinary looking, mild mannered guy.

Even if we were hiring "illegals", what would we use them for if they were crazies? I'm sure you could go have tea with any of these Al Queda assholes and they'd be real nice off duty.

If you think Oswald was part of a CIA/mob conspiracy to kill Kennedy, Oswald was just the goat they staked out for a sacrifice. Somewhere cool, calm, intellects took their children to church.

It's also like Bin Laden. Bin Laden wasn't some crazy. He was the best of a kind that the Saud could make. I'm sure his Imam's are really proud. He gets his virgins for standing up to the Great Satan. Pillar of Islam that he was.

It's not even hard to understand why people are pissed off. Peace in Europe is only a recent development. America has gotten off pretty easy since our civil war. But fact is that we've all been at war for 1000 years.

If I kill you in a war, your grandchildren will hate my grandchildren. Americans, low on being killed... Canadians... low on being killed... We don't have any huge axes to grind.

Peace makes peace... And from what I understand, it is now safe to take a walk in Serbia. People are filling up the bullet holes. Peace gave them a rest, and they decided blowing each other away wasn't that important anymore.

Took 20 years and a generation of kids whose parents hadn't been shot, tortured or picked up by the Stazi.

How screwed up do you think America would be if most of the women were widows? That's Iraq. Are we gonna convince their kids to love us? Maybe their grandchildren if we start now......

We Americans are pretty lovable and we like friends. We can be nauseatingly cheerful sometimes.

And I feel bad for the murderer here too. Whatever led the guy to do shit like this must have been some very bad experiences or some very bad wiring... something.. What makes a person a raging sociopath? Something very bad happened to them by wiring or environment.... something... It's sad.

You get pissed because a little sneak thief steals your toolbox. This kind of thing is almost like a force of nature. It takes a tribe to make an axe murderer? This is beyond what you can even get mad about. What could we possibly do to him that is worse than being him? He's just got to be a tortured, sick fuck to do something like this. Shooting him would probably be doing him a favor.
Old 5th November 2012, 02:16   #10
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
sick fuck
I've studied mental health at great length, but I still wouldn't come up with a much better description than that.

One could suggest he has personality disorders such as sadism, grandiose delusions, or narcissistic problems resulting in a superiority complex, causing him to plan punishment or take-down for anyone that does something against his will or anything he thinks pulls himself away from being superior. He possibly sees everyone else out there as lesser beings to be exploited. These kinds of people tend to feel no remorse or guilt if they have acted out of their own will; they're only sorry if something was an accident or mistake. Even then they are more upset about the mistake itself, not necessarily the resulting harmful impact to other people. I can't say any of this for sure based on the extremely limited information I have, but this is what comes to mind, as it aligns itself to the details in the article.

Even with all kinds of analysis, the conclusion is still the fact that he's one "sick fuck", and I hope he's kept separate from potential future victims, permanently.

Old 7th November 2012, 02:01   #11
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
I've studied mental health at great length, but I still wouldn't come up with a much better description than that.

Even with all kinds of analysis, the conclusion is still the fact that he's one "sick fuck", and I hope he's kept separate from potential future victims, permanently.
What worries me, is that most believe these to be isolated cases. A few of these personality types are born, but most are 'made'. After-all, so called 'normal people' can be very vicious given what they consider compelling reasons.

Some of these "sick" people are being created in the inner cities (and rural areas) as an unintended consequence of long term bad economic conditions (I'm thinking neglect and child abuse). Is high unemployment and under-employment the new normal? Youths are now killing each other in increasing numbers with no remorse (in the news a lot in Chicago, probably not being reported as much elsewhere). Then we have those that are able to kill anything, in any manner, with no remorse, being considered 'useful' in the limited circumstance of 'black ops' war fighting. Many "border-line" folks, created by economic conditions, join the military when they get old enough.

With the up-tick in special forces troops and training and the down-tick in regular army/marines troops, we as a country are creating more of these "sick" people. In the shift from traditional war fighting to combating 'non-state actors', this unavoidable consequence is what worries me for the future.

More of these kind of "sick" people are being created, by accident and on purpose, as an unintended or unavoidable consequence!

What happens when these retired 'black ops' folks get pissed off or suffer 'flash backs'. These guys and gals are not (or can not be) un-trained or re-trained when leaving active duty. What about those who get started down this path and wash out before passing the final 'tests'?

Now, most of these "sick" troops attack themselves and/or their families. Military brass is reported to be investigating the up-tick in this behavior. What happens if and when these troops shift their focus?

Maybe I'm overly concerned and connecting the wrong dots. I hope so. Early neglect and/or abuse coupled with late adolescent and early adulthood special military training is a very dangerous combination, imo.

Winamp v5.9.0.9999 - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v21H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2012, 15:32   #12
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
What happens when these retired 'black ops' folks get pissed off or suffer 'flash backs'.
That isn't an issue. When did that ever happen? Generally if people who freak out have military experience, it isn't combat. Oswald or McVey? Yeah marines.... marines that mostly pushed a broom.

We will have problems with all the soldiers we've sent out. Generally though, that has a profile. They'll have domestic violence issues. They'll become alcoholics and drug addicts. They'll suicide more than average. Most of the ex service people I ever met worked out just fine. The ones that didn't.... they'll tell you they were "Agent Orange" but they were probably cleaning latrines. Likely they were a problem before they ever joined the service.

Quote:
Some of these "sick" people are being created in the inner cities (and rural areas) as an unintended consequence of long term bad economic conditions
That's sorta true. But I don't think poor explains this guy. Sure... poor people will get in some scrapes. That's usually just petty bullshit, unless they are gang members. And gang members generally only kill each other. I'm not sure organized crime needs poverty to survive. Maybe greed and we could use poverty as an excuse?

Even the little puffed up gang fucks I've met in my life. Most of them aren't really that dangerous. If they ever killed anybody, it'd be more or less accidental.
Old 12th November 2012, 11:09   #13
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
That isn't an issue. When did that ever happen?
It has happened. Rare, isolated cases not widely reported or covered up. My point is that the way things are going it could become more wide spread.

Quote:
That's usually just petty bullshit, unless they are gang members. And gang members generally only kill each other.

Even the little puffed up gang fucks I've met in my life. Most of them aren't really that dangerous. If they ever killed anybody, it'd be more or less accidental.
Times are changing. These kids, and I do mean kids, are trying to kill each other. Back in my day, we used our hands and sometimes a knife. We wanted to win the fight, but we weren't really trying to kill each other. Today, everyone has a gun and the intent is to kill. Problem is that a lot of times they miss their intended target and shoot an innocent who happened to be in the area.

It's not just the drug dealers and petty criminals. To make a buck, some record companies are promoting the gangster rappers. These fools are killing each other and promoting violence to build their reputations and make more money.

In the 60's, the Black Panthers were gang members who turned their anger in a different direction. That can happen again and could be much worst this time around. Instead of getting involved in politics, what it they decide there's more profit in attacking someone who has something, instead of someone else who has nothing.

I've tried talking to some of the youth in my area. They are not afraid to die. Some see it as kill or be killed. Many (with and without a criminal record) don't believe they will have a worthwhile future and figure they have nothing to lose.

And this troubled generation is no longer confined to the inner cities.

Old 13th November 2012, 21:50   #14
rockouthippie
Banned

We are about the same age and I remember that. You'd get in a fist fight guns and knives would be falling out of peoples pockets never touched. If you used a weapon in a one on one contest, you were a pussy and no one would ever talk to you again. The knives and guns were for if you got jumped by a gang, not a tussle with your classmates.

I think being dirt poor would be a better gig now than it was in 1970, so I don't understand where the extra anger comes from.

I do understand, and it's why I voted for Romney, that teenagers who don't see a future for themselves are a bad thing. I'm not sure whether it is as important to feed them as to make sure they have a decent future that they can actually get.

I'll tell you. What happened to me in the 1980's when there were no jobs wasn't cool. These kids now will recover somewhat, but 1962 and 1990 seem to be very bad years to be born.

Maybe it's because we have a disillusioned generation raising a disillusioned generation. Maybe peoples expectations were unrealistic. Life that wouldn't be a fucked up mess? That seems pretty unreasonable.

They say you can make no mistakes and still lose. That's a different thing from making no mistakes and being certain you will still lose. That is graduating high school or college today.

The economy will come back. The jobs will come back. But that time in limbo is a killer. I know it set me back permanently.
Old 19th November 2012, 21:05   #15
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
We are about the same age and I remember that. You'd get in a fist fight guns and knives would be falling out of peoples pockets never touched. If you used a weapon in a one on one contest, you were a pussy and no one would ever talk to you again. The knives and guns were for if you got jumped by a gang, not a tussle with your classmates.
True, but I'm talking about minorities (something I know more about). Guns were hard for us to get then. Its no problem now.

Quote:
I think being dirt poor would be a better gig now than it was in 1970, so I don't understand where the extra anger comes from.
The gap between the haves and have nots is much larger. Look at all that is advertised that is needed to be hip and cool. Government assistance will provide some food and clothes, but it doesn't provide X-Boxes, big screen tvs, smart phones, designer clothes, etc. Sure some sell their food stamps for cash, but that is just enough to buy drugs (legal and illegal) that help them forget about, for a short time, what they don't have.

Quote:
I do understand, and it's why I voted for Romney, that teenagers who don't see a future for themselves are a bad thing. I'm not sure whether it is as important to feed them as to make sure they have a decent future that they can actually get.
It is easy to throw a little food someone's way. Not easy to provide a decent education and the opportunity to use it. The curriculum in too many schools with mostly minority students is a joke. It also does not help that the pop minority culture says taking education seriously is 'acting white', which is not hip and cool. Back in my day it was a given that you needed to try to blend in with the majority (the melting pot theory). That is no longer the case, the majority culture is no longer something to look up to. Too many high level scandals, too many famous for all the wrong reasons.

Quote:
I'll tell you. What happened to me in the 1980's when there were no jobs wasn't cool. These kids now will recover somewhat, but 1962 and 1990 seem to be very bad years to be born.
You can't recover from death. You are not allowed to recover from criminal records (even if you are later found innocent, it takes a separate act of government (that you have to partition for) to wipe your record).

Quote:
Maybe it's because we have a disillusioned generation raising a disillusioned generation. Maybe peoples expectations were unrealistic. Life that wouldn't be a fucked up mess? That seems pretty unreasonable.
Yes the pendulum was swung too far from what wasn't acceptable to what is. Too many reasons were (and are) given for that which is supposed to be beyond a person's personal control.

Too many generations of babies raising babies. The old welfare system was designed for failure from the start. Paying women more if they had more children. Deducting, if they tried to supplement the too small check by working a little on the side. Forbidding the fathers (wed and unwed) from living with their families. Forcing adults into criminal conduct and kids into thinking that was what was needed to get by. I could go on and on. It was an insane policy and allowed to go on far too long.

Quote:
They say you can make no mistakes and still lose. That's a different thing from making no mistakes and being certain you will still lose. That is graduating high school or college today.

The economy will come back. The jobs will come back. But that time in limbo is a killer. I know it set me back permanently.
Even when the unemployment rate was small for the majority, it was still high for the minorities. Too many under-educated and/or under-employed, trying hard and getting nowhere. Sure, its up to the individual, but its so much harder when the deck is stacked against you. The opportunity is there for a lot more, but it is still not for most. People need to want to live and/or work together, laws really can't make them. It also doesn't help when the pop culture leads you to become your own worst enemy. Most of what is needed will have to be done by minorities themselves, but some outside assistance will still be required for quite some time.

Even for the majority, too much corporate greed, too much dog eat dog among individuals. Too many snubs and baseless superiority attitudes. But from what I know of western Europeans' history, I guess they can't help it.

Old 19th December 2012, 09:36   #16
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
True, but I'm talking about minorities (something I know more about). Guns were hard for us to get then. Its no problem now.
Huh? Did you have to go to BiMart?

Quote:
The gap between the haves and have nots is much larger.
Well no shit. You didn't have to be an African American. "Too much corporate greed". No kidding. I think you've got the crosshairs on the wrong target though. Our President has proven he is firmly in the pocket of anyone that will put a tip on the tray.

Who are these "corporate greed" guys? I don't see them being conservative. Bernie Madoff sure as hell wasn't. The richest men in the country are social liberals. George Bush is the poorest President in recent history.

My old man was an accountant. Follow the money. Where is the money?

I think the only person happy with ACA, upon real inspection, is the health care and insurance lobby. I think you have fallen for "false flag" if you think Barry Obama is on your side or mine.

The "Clinton" socialists have made a bundle. Being conservative or a "blue dog" like me .... not profitable... It's that pesky morality that gets in the way.

I think if you wanted what... I want... you want... you should have voted for Romney. He's a dickhead too, but at least he's honest about it.

Really... having social responsibility as a society shouldn't involve so much payola. Did you detect my disillusionment? The Democrats promised us Camelot and we got fuck.

And I'm concerned. 96% of African Americans bought "false flag". You and I have more in common than either of us and the President.

Clinton... let's make sure minority people can buy a house. That sounds great to me. But what really happened? Housing is a bigger part of everyone's income than it ever was.

You think the bankers are conservatives. Look again. Just like my old man "Barney" said... he was an auditor for USDA. Follow the money. You've got a billion dollar Oprah. A billion dollar Bill Gates. A billion dollar ex-Steve Jobs. My dad managed to piss the teamsters off enough that our house got a mail bomb that blew the windows and the siding off our house. His last investigation was Tyson.... remember Hillary?

I had lunch with Mr. Jobs once at Pixar. He was bitching that he had to buy a smaller helicopter because his 40 million dollar Ranger was bothering is neighbors. It was sort of humorous. Lunch was good. Nobody at the table ever saw 6 figures. I would decline another lunch invitation. The general mood after lunch was "What a fucking dickhead. Is Steve on the same planet as the rest of us?"

I've met Gates too. He isn't as much of a dickhead as Jobs, but like Jobs, he doesn't live on the same planet either.

What do billions of dollars of "charity" prove? They didn't pay the people who were working for them.

So much for humanitarian.

As far as African Americans go. Would you take the bus across town so I could give you a fucking job? I used to run a construction company and fuck me. I was paying prevailing wage $19.20 an hour in the 90's. It was ass busting work. I was trying to figure out where the African Americans were. Shit... to keep the wage and hour people off my ass, you'd find me down in Albina (Africa) neighborhood begging black men to take a decent job.

You worked 6 hours with no break. Got paid for 8. Medical and all that shit was included.

I got all this "roll eyed" shit like I was trying to bone somebody. I paid myself $22. I would be standing right next to you picking up heavy scaffolds for 6 hours and I always bought the guys a pitcher at the pub and went home.

Please walk, take a bus... white people don't bite despite your liberal indoctrination. Please... we love you guys... It was like some kind of miracle that I treated African Americans like anyone else. I got once "I thought you were a cracker, but hell Kev... you've been nothing but fair".

I went to SIGRAPH in 00 before the flood in New Orleans. I read there was a place that had excellent oyster sandwiches. I walked a mile from the Holiday Inn. Got "white boy are you fucking crazy to go in that part of town" Yeah Bullshit. I lived in South Chicago for a while. I be cool. You be cool.

My old black neighbor lady.... I mowed her lawn... She'd stuff me full of soul food. Reminded me of my own grannie. We had the same deal.

Damn... grits and cracklin.... That's some damn good eats.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 19th December 2012 at 10:56.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News