Old 31st August 2001, 12:10   #1
ne0bi0

I do hear my PC sound but I can't hear mp3!

I do hear my PC sound but I can't hear mp3! That's the main problem. I have been told by a friend to change and try to manage with the output configuration but it didn't work . So, right now I can hear the radio, wav's, normal sounds but MP3!!

SO, please, help me and forgive me if the problem is already solved somewhere in the forum but it's so huge...

Thank you so much!
ne0bi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2001, 14:13   #2
. - .... .- -. ....
Backpacking

Send a message via ICQ to . - .... .- -. .... Send a message via Yahoo to . - .... .- -. ....
Check the simple things first:
1. Go to your windows volume control and check that none of the sliders are turned down, or muted.

2. Make sure that the winamp wolume isn't turned down.

3. In winamp, go to preferences (CTRL-P) -> plugins -> output and make sure that the Nullsoft Waveout plugin is selected. If this doesn't work, try the directsound plugin.

4. Try loading one of your mp3 files into mediaplayer and see if it plays there.

Like my photography? Buy some here....
. - .... .- -. .... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2001, 14:23   #3
ne0bi0

Ok, I tried all that!

Ok, I checked all the stuff you said but it doesnt work. I just achieved to play one mp3 song successfully in the W Media Player.

I tried even the lycos sonique player, and it didn't work either, and believe me when I say I don't want to play my mp3 files in the Windows Media Player man!

So, I'm quite desperate now Any Idea??

¡ ¡ H E L P ! !

Thank you very much. I think that there must be a lot of people that, as me, have this problem, so.. even more usefull!
Old 31st August 2001, 15:09   #4
NeoRenegade
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NeoRenegade Send a message via AIM to NeoRenegade
Find out what brand and model your soundcard is and get the latest drivers for it.
NeoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2001, 04:06   #5
thren0dy

I am having the exact same problem.

I did all the things that ethan_h suggested, and I did get an mp3 file to play in windows media player.

We just got a brand new soundcard, so I am pretty sure the sondcard divers are not the problem. I also just re-installed winamp.

Now what?
thren0dy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2001, 07:55   #6
EvilDick23

Another stab at it

You could also try going to Options->Preferences->File Types and ensure that the file you are trying to play is set up to play under Winamp.
EvilDick23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2001, 10:00   #7
ne0bi0

Mmm Winamp does suppor the Mp3!!

hi,
Mmm Winamp does suppor the Mp3!! So that's not the problem. Our problem is that we can't hear the mp3 format in winamp, Sonique or W media.

I spoke with an expert from creative and he suggested me to reinstall W media, because it has some components that play mp3, i did with no result. I tried everything! Im desperate!

Thanks for your help!
Old 6th September 2001, 10:16   #8
dad

Hi. Me thinks that Dick hit the big nail on the head with his response. It just makes sense that you don't have your Winamp and your mp3's associated with one another but just in case that that simple tip doesn't make your files sing, here's another thought: try uninstalling all your mp3 players, one at a time, and carefully, from your system. Then uninstall and reinstall everything that has to do with sound on your computer. I run on Windows 98 4.10.0 (not SE) and I must do this every now and then when I lose sound and it's not because my kids pulled out the speakers or turned the volume controls off as a prank. Since your rig has sound, this procedure will probably be overkill, but it won't hurt and it's good practice in the event all your sound is lost someday. Check your O/S documentation for the steps to use on your rig. Once your "Multimedia" components are reinstalled, then I suggest that you reinstall Winamp as your designated mp3 file player. I always reinstall Winamp (or any other player) with all other programs, including and especially AVPs, closed down. Now try those mp3s again and post back. Oh, and make sure that your speakers are plugged in and the volume is up!
dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2001, 10:26   #9
ne0bi0

Mmm still not working!

Hi,
My volume is up and my speakers are on. I already have tried the reinstalling stuff.

My mp3 is associated with winamp- That's basic!

I think the problem has something to do with controllers. No idea.

When I left to my holidays I worked good! and when I came from my holidays I just ... well, that's the stuuf.

Thanks for the help! Where are the winamp boys?
Old 6th September 2001, 11:19   #10
dad

Hi again Carlos. Since you have uninstalled then reinstalled your Multimedia Components you should have the sound, video, and game controllers reset. In Windows 98 this occurs when you remove everything listed in this category (from Device Manager) and then remove the checkmark in front of "Multimedia" under the "Windows Setup" tab that you see after double-clicking on "Add/Remove Programs", but if you run Windows 98 then you know all about this. Right? So, could the problem be with the mp3 files themselves? Did you create them yourself? If so, what software did you use and could the encoding procedure be involved in limiting the playback of the files? I'll be following this thread along with you, Carlos, cause I'm real curious to know the answer to this riddle.
Old 6th September 2001, 13:09   #11
NeoRenegade
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NeoRenegade Send a message via AIM to NeoRenegade
It just occured to me that you may be missing the MP3 codec on your computer... download and install Radium (a beefed up version of the Fraunhofer MP3 codec) and see if it helps.
NeoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2001, 22:07   #12
dad

Hey Carlos it's been 3 days! What happened? Did you try the Radium codec? Was that the answer? Hoping that you will post back...thanks.
Old 12th September 2001, 00:01   #13
swanhild

Can I jump in here? I have a similar problem. My left speaker doesn't work in winamp. It does work everywhere else though, and it did work in winamp at one time. However, (and don't ask me how I ever figured this out!) if I go to Settings> Control Panel> Multimedia> Audio> click the dropdown then ESS AudioDrive (which was already in use) this activates the Apply button which I click and now my left speaker works. The catch is I have to repeat this for EVERY song! Can anyone help me???

......i'm just a girl...
swanhild is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support