Old 1st January 2005, 11:48   #81
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by ElChevelle
List of agencies involved
Already on it, Jonesy.

I should have made it IMAX sized though.

Also, props to amazon.com for posting a big banner on their homepage where you can donate toward the relief effort.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2005, 12:59   #82
Dark3n

Sigh~ I can’t believe I have to dwell on this…. Alright let me explain in detail what I meant so that you people out there will stop blowing my thoughts out of proportion

Quote:
It’s just so like you typical ignorant Americans
refers to people like grumpyBB and NOT to the whole American society... jeezz... and i'm not saying that America is not helping or <whatever it is you are implying>... i'm just saying that if you want to boast about it, then don't bother helping... Who's bashing America? i'm bashing grumpyBB!!
Dark3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2005, 00:04   #83
Starbucks
Forum King

I know I'm not a super active forum member like you guys but can you guys just stfu for one second and stop turing everything into a flame war? Please just mellow out and donate some money.

I have $10USD in the red cross. The death toll is now 100,000+ btw.
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2005, 03:45   #84
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Thank you Starbucks, for reminding ALL of us what the actual point of this thread is about.

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...E28477,00.html
^^ fucked up bastards, who ever is behind this.
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2005, 06:29   #85
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
I thought the reason for the thread was to talk about this news story and things connected with it (such as where to make donations and such), not to brag about how much money each forum member is donating.

Who knows, maybe I'm wrong but I can donate without having to come here and tell everyone how much I gave.

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2005, 07:24   #86
Dark3n

damn... every tv station, every radio station and every newspaper is having a donation drive... which one to choose from?!?!?!
btw, one cool way these days is that you can just sms ur donation (which cost between RM1-5...(again, depends on the organizer)
Old 2nd January 2005, 13:09   #87
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by MegaRock
Who knows, maybe I'm wrong but I can donate without having to come here and tell everyone how much I gave.
To be fair, I was just pissed about working all night and not getting paid, I had to tell someone

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2005, 20:44   #88
CaboWaboAddict
Forum Sot
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally posted by Starbucks
I know I'm not a super active forum member like you guys but can you guys just stfu for one second and stop turing everything into a flame war?
No, maybe it turned into that for a reason. When people make racist, discriminatory, or prejudicial remarks, they need to be called on it.
Quote:
Originally posted by Starbucks
Please just mellow out and donate some money.
I have already done so on both points.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark3n
Sigh~ I can’t believe I have to dwell on this…. Alright let me explain in detail what I meant so that you people out there will stop blowing my thoughts out of proportion

Quote:
It’s just so like you typical ignorant Americans
refers to people like grumpyBB and NOT to the whole American society... jeezz... and i'm not saying that America is not helping or <whatever it is you are implying>... i'm just saying that if you want to boast about it, then don't bother helping... Who's bashing America? i'm bashing grumpyBB!!
If you were talking to one person, why may I ask, did you refer to the 'typical American' as being ignorant?

Idiot's Advocate
My site (under construction)
CaboWaboAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2005, 16:06   #89
zootm
Forum King

"Typical" refers to a stereotype, I think, rather than an actual demographic sample. That would be "average". Correct me if I'm wrong

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2005, 18:32   #90
CaboWaboAddict
Forum Sot
(Major Dude)

^ my point exactly... (oops I left out the word stereotypical in my earlier post). Anyway, the point is the words generalize Americans as ignorant.

Idiot's Advocate
My site (under construction)
CaboWaboAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2005, 06:56   #91
Dark3n

Ah, here, I’m sorry but to say this: if you’d take a step back, you’d see that when I mention typical ignorant American, I’m basing this upon the recent elections… unfair? Perhaps. However, you must also understand that we feel extremely puzzled how so many people can go against the majority of the world’s support… In reference to the thread, the typical ignorant American tag applies strongly to GrumpyBb because it is basically almost reflects on how true it is that America feels obliged play the role of the ‘big brother’ or ‘sheriff’ of the world because they feel they are the strongest country. Unfortunately, this part of the world does not think so. Yes, maybe it is true America is a strong and great country, however to boast like how grumpy does is just like anyone saying to Americans : “serves you right for 9/11. hahaha. In your face you arrogant bastards”. Harsh? Absolutely. It applies the same when over hundreds of thousands of people in your region dies and the best you can do is turn the tables and boast your greatness.

If anyone were to feel offended or unhappy with my remarks, you have my apologies; however, what would you do in my position? Keep quiet? Grumpy Bb’s opinion may be his personal opinion but terrifyingly, how many people feel this way?

I personally feel that this tsunami is rather alike the 9/11. Both our peoples die. Everyone felt the pain then and now. And everyone then and now should show noting but compassion and the true colours of the beautiful us: Humans.
Old 4th January 2005, 11:57   #92
Wolfgang
Forum King

The big difference between 9/11 and this tsunami is that one of them was incited by the hatred of one group of people's hatred for another. Also, I don't the tsunami will spark off a war.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2005, 14:08   #93
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

http://europa.eu.int/tsunami/index_en.htm

European Aid as of 12th of january

* Donations made by citizens : €0.85 billion ($1.11 billion)
* National Governments and European Commission : €1.54 billion ($2.04 billion)

Total : €2.39 billion ($3.15 billion)

What was the figure the UN thought was required? 100 billion?
ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News