Old 2nd December 2003, 10:03   #161
HugeEMC

A thaught,

You can record any song from FM Radio, even tape a music video on your VCR from a TV station (M-TV), I agree that if you make money from someones hard work or talent, to be wrong but if this is for yourself and you don't sell it (making money) then yes P2P will help the average person that can't afford $20 per CD to enjoy the music of any artist they love to hear and not just when a DJ want's to play the song on the FM Radio of an Artist he thinks is worthy of his station. Or the production houses ect have had thier pockets filled.
HugeEMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2003, 11:26   #162
ynda

I am currently a student studying in computing in dundee. For me to spend £16.99($29.21) on an album is beyond a joke. i make just under £200 from my part time job i would say £90 goes on getting too and from uni a month leaving me with £110 so spending 17% of my total money is not on. I could feed myself for rather along time on that sort of cash. While i agree that downloading music whithout the artists consent is stealing, most of the bands i listen too are not exactly that big or on a major record labels i find it really hard to find their cds around where i live so if i want to listen to bands i like most of the time i have to download them. now i do buy the ocassional cd. When i have spare money. But i feel the reasons for declining sales is the lack of good music and the lack of vierity as well. But most of all the price of cds its just far too expensive. id rather download an album and donate money to the band than pay those fat cat wages at record companys.

ps. saw muse this month, they were excellent refreshing too see good bands in the charts.

Quote:
What killed music is not being able to hear it. On the radio that is. I live in NY and on the FM dial, you can hear basically the same playlist on every major pop station
i agree about this in the uk(scotland anyway) there are no alternate radio stations that i can find. looking over the pond at you lot in the usa i fear the way you country is moving. once i wanted to live and work in the usa but now i think i shall stay in the uk.
ynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2003, 16:51   #163
dodger758

Send a message via AIM to dodger758
the radio sucks, around here all it is is commercials, seriously. except one station...the mountain, and they are so great haha, but it's not music that the masses listen to. the radio is not a place to go to to listen to music around here.
dodger758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2004, 19:22   #164
wickedhouseparty

Umm... okay

I see this big huge post, anti-RIAA or pro-RIAA or anti-copyright or pro-copyright, anti-musician or pro-musician...

blaaaaa

Maybe I should repeat some of that I wrote in an article for a magazine.

I'm kind of going to type it from memory so it wont be exactly the same because its too long to post here

----

The digital age and the music industry

Basically the music "industry" as we know it started in the early 1900s, with the advent of the vinyl record.

Prior to that each performer or group of musicians was it's own business. They were paid on a per performance basis, ususally through ticket sales. Ironically, very simmilar to the raves of nowadays, these performers would enlist the assistance of a "promoter" who would work for a group of artists to fill larger and larger spaces in exchange for a share of each performer's profits.

Records were pretty difficult to make at that time, the quality was poor, and not everybody had a "gramaophone". Gradually the technology got better and we had the record player, the hi-fi stereo and records were cheaper to make and sounded better.

Then came the Beatles and Elvis. These massive bands were the first to take advantage of a new thing - the "music industry". Essentially what the music industry had shifted to from this era was from a per-performance pay to a recording industry, where the performers were paid based on how many copies of their performance were sold.

The new recording industry signed contracts, either took the place of the "promoter" or hired the promoter under the recording industry's terms.

Because the performer didnt have to be somewhere to play to make their money, times were good. Unforutnately, the recording industry got very powerful because of the amount of money involved.

They tied up distribution channels. As the recording companies got larger and larger, they made agreements and some monolithic companies were formed. (Virgin, Columbia, EMI, etc). They basically had a stranglehold on whether an artist would ever get their material out.

This is when the recording industry turned bad. Tape was invented. Cheaper copies were made, more money was made for the recording industry. They got more and more powerful.

Then CDs were invented. Cheap, at under 10 cents per copy for the recording company, digital, so easy to copy from the master. This is when you may notice that the field of available music started to narrow into several distinct categories.

Throughout the 80s and 90s, this narrowing took place at a harrowing pace. The only music that would get out is what would sell, and the recording industry started experimenting with "forumla groups". Ie. groups like Milli Vanilli and Backstreet Boys and N-Sync and Spice Girls.

Basically, a group that marketing research said they would sell. And they did sell, bigtime.

This was the point at which your average artist, band, or whatever had the most miniscule of chances of even getting their material on store shelves. You might get an offer of joining one of these forumla groups they were testing but your own stuff.. nonononono. Just the songs they wrote.

Music Video was the ultimate control for the recording industry - what garage band could afford to make a professional music video to compete with their dollars? None of them.

Unfortunately for them, this super-duper-stranglehold was brought into check by something else big going on.

The internet.

The average artist could encode their own stuff to a lower bitrate and put it on the internet for listening. They could burn the CDs themselves and sell them for $10.00

Now remember, a regular music CD costs about $15.00 average at a store. The artist gets about a buck from that.

Independently, they could get $9.00, since the cd only really costs about a buck in volume.

Whoa, what a change.

MP3s came along in a big way. Independents started coming out again. The stranglehold is evaporating faster than you can say Virgin Records.

The DJ even came back, on vinyl turntables in both Hip Hop and electronic genres.

RIAA and their lawsuits will be a flaming tarball mess of lawsuits and infernal nails screeching against the chalkboard of a dead business model. The whine will get incessantly louder until something happens- they dont have the money anymore to fight the battle.

Why? Because nobody really is enough of a sucker to pay $15.00 for a CD anymore. They'd pay $50.00 for a ticket to see their favorite artist in concert or live; they'd pay $1.00 to burn it onto a CD from home. They might even pay $100.00 for a special boxed set collectors edition of all of the group's CDs.

But not $15.00 just to listen to a few songs.

So what's next for the industry?

First of all, RIAA will start being a lot more accommodating to artists, because artists will start using the services of promoters to fill the auditoriums and concert halls again, and they'll sell their CDs onsite for $5.00.

Since these days in bulk you can get color CDs burned for $0.75 plus an extra $0.25 for the color case, they'll make $4.00 as opposed to the $1.00 they'd make under the previous deal. They only have to sell a quarter as many CDs to make the same amount of money.

Plus they'll get paid more for the concert itself, carving RIAA companies out of the deal and having just artist and promoter, no middleman.

In essence, we'll go back to the way it was in the early 1900's, with a quite a few more toys. Pay per performance and the recordings will be more nostalgic than anything else.

Because, quite frankly, if I had the choice to buy the latest CD from Britney Spears or an old computer or video game for $15.00, i'd take the video game - because it comes with a manual - and pirate the CD - because the CD provides no value whatsoever over the MP3 or WMA at an equivalent bitrate except for Britneys boobs which I see all over the place anyway, thanks to her RIAA representatives.

Full circle. Expect to go to a lot more concerts. And hear a lot more types of interesting music. The 2000's will be a good hundred years for music.

It will be a passion again, as opposed to a commodity.
wickedhouseparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2004, 19:29   #165
dodger758

Send a message via AIM to dodger758
nice article, i hope your right on the subject. also, props for bringin this one back from what seemed to be death.
dodger758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2004, 19:48   #166
wickedhouseparty

coo thx
wickedhouseparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2004, 20:37   #167
Mmusicman

Re: Umm... okay

Quote:
Originally posted by wickedhouseparty

Full circle. Expect to go to a lot more concerts. And hear a lot more types of interesting music. The 2000's will be a good hundred years for music.

It will be a passion again, as opposed to a commodity.
Very informative and thoughtful. I'm with you bro!

Here's a thought...how much money do you think these mega-artists make doing concert tours? MEGA-BUCKS! Don't tell me they "missing out" on lost revenue! It's the "middle-man" who's losing...and it's about time!
Mmusicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2004, 20:44   #168
xzxzzx
Forum King

Re: Re: Umm... okay

Quote:
Originally posted by Mmusicman
Very informative and thoughtful. I'm with you bro!

Here's a thought...how much money do you think these mega-artists make doing concert tours? MEGA-BUCKS! Don't tell me they "missing out" on lost revenue! It's the "middle-man" who's losing...and it's about time!
Yeah, right. Prove it. And what about everyone but the 5 "mega-artists" at the time?

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2004, 23:37   #169
mikeflca
Major Dude

I sorta missed most of this forum.....
I think it is pretty simple:RIAA sucks:

1) The music sucks.
2) The CDs are far overpriced.
3) The economy (at least here in the U.S.) has only just started to recover(joblessly).
4) Everything that everyone else here said.

And now the RIAA is blaming file-sharers for all its problems? please...
mikeflca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2004, 23:42   #170
xzxzzx
Forum King

Yeah. RIAA == full of shit.

Basically.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
Old 20th January 2004, 20:58   #171
gt55x

Music cds should be cheaper....
I picked up a new cd today and i was suprised to find it for 12 euro......thats a massave drop from 20...
Piricy in its own right is lowering prices.

The Music industry as a whole should lower there prices and then less people will download.

heh instead there going after low price online sites such as cd wow and Amazon.......

but i think if people keep on downloading...prices will keep faling to a resionable buying rate.
gt55x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2004, 07:02   #172
poppet

Didn't the RIAA sue a 12 year old girl?
poppet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2004, 07:17   #173
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by poppet
Didn't the RIAA sue a 12 year old girl?
Yes.

Now will this thread EVER @#%@% DIE?!

Old 8th February 2004, 16:32   #174
dlichterman
Forum King

no. never will.

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
dlichterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2004, 01:40   #175
Phyltre
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Phyltre Send a message via Yahoo to Phyltre
You know, it's interesting--one of these days, the RIAA will be a textbook example of an organization that could not read the headlines. In 2040, in some music appreciation class, students will look at a paragraph about this, and think:

"Wait, there's no way I'm reading this right. CD cost, and recording cost, for a CD was maybe three dollars apiece? And they charged twenty (in 2004) dollars for a CD? When their clients were all getting the music free or at cost, with a much better distribution circle? And then they SUED the customer for refusing to be gouged? ...I know hindsight's twenty-twenty, but the RIAA must have been a bunch of fossilized seniles! Come on, SUEING the customer..."

Then they'll turn the music back up on their realtime p2p earpiece, and forget the RIAA ever existed.
Phyltre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2004, 06:41   #176
Ral of Tyr

The RIAA has the DMCA to back up their business. So, the RIAA can bypass certain constitutional requirements in order to carry out their business. I bet the congressmen who passed the DMCA never thought your average 15 year old kid would be getting sued but the RIAA.

Want a lot of people fail to realize is the RIAA is a Business Lobby. They are out to make a profit. It does not matter how stupid or moral they sound. As long as the make money. That is all that matters. Thier whole "Music Piracy is morally wrong campaign" is just their business Bull Sh*t. It is only morally wrong because they are losing money. That is all. It is called PR. Remember that they also contro l the media, so their "Lawsuit scare tactics" are going to be front page news, always.
Ral of Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2004, 06:53   #177
xzxzzx
Forum King

*yawn*...

And there's a reason to discuss this why?

Old 9th February 2004, 06:59   #178
Ral of Tyr

FYI...I guess...
Ral of Tyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2004, 07:16   #179
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Ral of Tyr
FYI...I guess...
Yeah, but the other 5 pages basically all say the same thing.

RIAA == bad.

Yeah, ok, cool, we got it.

By the way, I thought your post was good, but it's just that I don't see any reason to keep repeating ourselves. Ah, fuck it. Who am I to complain? I can just unsubscribe. Fuck it, post all you want, restart the thread - if you dare/can. Mwhaha.

Old 12th February 2004, 03:51   #180
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
The RIAA has put it's own foot in it's mouth when two seperate reports were recently released showing record sales (in income, not numbers) was up 12 and 16 percent over the past year at a time the labels were claiming these big losses.

Now remember, the money numbers were up but the sales were not. For those not paying attention this shows they are charging more for the same crap, so it's not selling as good.

DUH, RIAA. Figure it out, your product isn't worth $16.99 for a copy of St. Crapper from Metallica. Linkin Park? Maybe ten bucks, definately not the 18.99 it was selling for.

Go support some indie artists instead:

http://www.garageband.com

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2007, 20:40   #181
papadoc
Comfortably Numb
(Forum King)

You go get their asses, young man!
I support what you're doing 100%.

Teen Accuses Record Companies of Collusion
papadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2007, 17:08   #182
gameplaya15143
Major Dude

I hope he wins.
gameplaya15143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2007, 20:53   #183
mrd00d
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to mrd00d
The whole problem with buying a CD is we all know that what they charge is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY overpriced. They need to drop all cds sales down to around 5 bucks then people will start buying them like mad.

CDs are old technology. If you don't sell a cd with mp3s on it as well, you are wasting people's time. These people need to change with the times and stop bitching about filesharing.
mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2007, 16:39   #184
gameplaya15143
Major Dude

128kbps MP3s made with some sh!tty FHG encoder.. no thanks
gameplaya15143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News