Old 28th June 2006, 16:17   #1
MegaV1

Send a message via AIM to MegaV1 Send a message via Yahoo to MegaV1
SHOUTcast DSP Plug-In for iTunes

Do we have one? i can't use winamp for some reason and i prefer iTunes. if we can't get SHOUTcast DSP Plug-In for iTunes, is there any program to bridge it from iTunes --> ShoutCast Server?
MegaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2006, 16:24   #2
dotme

Yes... Winamp + DSP in Soundcard mode.
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2006, 17:14   #3
MegaV1

Send a message via AIM to MegaV1 Send a message via Yahoo to MegaV1
translation?
i don't use winamp so i am sooo confused
MegaV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2006, 19:15   #4
drewbar
Sawg 2.0
Major Dude

There is no DSP for iTunes. You will need to use Winamp in some form. You can run the DSP from Winamp in "soundcard" mode and play stuff from iTunes, though.

Count with us!
Jan 1st, 12AM (PST, GMT -8) 2010 - 282,246
drewbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2006, 12:32   #5
kaptnjack

Send a message via AIM to kaptnjack
Im a noob so hello to everyone. I hope I can learn and share as we all move forward.

my first question is about itunes too.

All the dj's at our station are using and most comfortable with itunes too. We have just set up our new shoutcast server for katrockradio.com and woukld like to use itunes for our programming and scheduling for the radio station.

can any of you guys make any suggestions or maybe expalin in more detail for us new guys on how to use itunes as the tool in concert with shoutcast/winamp background service to broadcast?

thanks and peace
kaptnjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2006, 14:04   #6
samzoo

Send a message via AIM to samzoo Send a message via Yahoo to samzoo
Sorry mate. But I Dont Think You Can Use SHOUTcast And Programming With Itunes.
Its Only For Playing Music.
Your DJ's Will Have To DJ'
With Winamp ( www.winamp.com/player )

And Then get The DSP Plugin For Shoutcast... http://www.shoutcast.com/download/broadcast.phtml

And Use The Soundcard Input.

Like DotMe Said Above.
samzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2006, 15:57   #7
hackerdork
Forum King

ok using iTUNE, quicktime, windows media player, real player, or even playing a game you can broadcast that audio to shoutcast.

You need to run winamp (On Windows PC), install the shoutcast DSP plugin, then configure the DSP plug-in input to SOUNDCARD mode. This makes any audio on the PC get intercepted into the stream. So if I was playing Quake4 you would hear me getting my ass kicked all over the place when you tuned into my stream.

So winamp with the DSP in soundcard mode basicly snags the audio hardware and injects it into the DSP.

Yes it means you have to have iTUNES and winamp running at the same time to broadcast from iTUNES. The cool thing is any audio being played by the soundcard can be 'captured' and broadcast to a shoutcast server.

Legal issues:
Also I can see some 'legal' problems, if you have an encrypted m4a file in iTUNES and you play it over the air, you are breaking copyright laws in the USA. Even if you own the CD/DVD or mp3 you are not allowed to broadcast without a license. Read iTUNES licensing agreement, and read up more on broadcasting before you step in the poop. www.loudcity.com is one resource (US based) broadcast licensing.

Take care

~ According to the ship's log we're down to our last 3000 vomit bags.It'll never be enough.
search the forums! don't PM me on how-to, or ask me to setup you system. you do it so you learn.
hackerdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2006, 02:51   #8
kaptnjack

thanks to everyone.

I have been reading more since my post although the station is 50 miles away and havent been able to do any testing.

I will try the "soundcard/monitor" setting and see what I get.

Also...everything we have is mp3 or wave.

Itunes is what everybody started with and most familiar. I wanted to just make life a little simpler for everyone.

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 3rd July 2006, 14:26   #9
macinjoshdotcom

Send a message via AIM to macinjoshdotcom
I am having similar needs here, and just tried this. I don't have a "Soundcard/Monitor" option in inputs...all I have is "Soundcard Input," which is dead-air even with iTunes playing music. This is a fresh install of Winamp5 and the Shoutcast DSP. Help?

I've been using shoutcast for awhile with winamp, but I really prefer playlist management in iTunes. If I can get this to work, I"ll be real happy
macinjoshdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2006, 14:37   #10
kaptnjack

I should be clear that the "souncard" option does not include the word "monitor".

In my mind selecting "soundcard" in the options is the same as selecting "tape monitor" on a AV receiver when using an outboard signal processor.

So please excuse me if I have made the issue at hand more complicated for anyone.

Also...I plan to make the 50 mile trip to the katrockradio.com staition today to try the suggestions made here...I will report later on successes/failures etc.
Old 3rd July 2006, 14:41   #11
hackerdork
Forum King

when using soundcard mode there is a not a MONITOR mode, its takes whatever the soundcard hardware is playing and routes it to the shoutcast DSP.

I would think that is the files are encrypted with any type of DRM, then soundcard mode will not work from iTUNES to winamp.

~ D

~ According to the ship's log we're down to our last 3000 vomit bags.It'll never be enough.
search the forums! don't PM me on how-to, or ask me to setup you system. you do it so you learn.
Old 3rd July 2006, 14:59   #12
macinjoshdotcom

Weird. When in soundcard "mode," I get nothing. It seems to want something on the line-in on the card. None of my system sounds or iTunes playback are being recognized. Does this vary based on audio hardware? It's definitely not a DRM thing.

I've got line in and mic in muted, master volume up.
Old 3rd July 2006, 19:58   #13
hackerdork
Forum King

yes and if you have a usb headset, they act like a sound card. make sure you setup windows default sound hardware to be your audio card not a head set (control panel, sounds and audio, then audio tab.

also when using soundcard mode in winamp, you windows mixer for recording should be setup to steroe mix, or whatyou hear, or master,m or master out,. this mixes mic, line, and audio together,

Old 3rd July 2006, 21:12   #14
macinjoshdotcom

I think I figured it out. This is the onboard crappy audio on a Gateway E series. I figure the audio card is only half duplex, hence my situation :/ Oh well. I'm going to try it on my home computer later. If that's also half-duplex, I'll just pop the pocket change for a decent full-duplex card. Thanks for the helpings, guys!
Old 3rd July 2006, 21:17   #15
fc*uk

Quote:
Originally posted by macinjoshdotcom
I think I figured it out. This is the onboard crappy audio on a Gateway E series. I figure the audio card is only half duplex, hence my situation :/ Oh well. I'm going to try it on my home computer later. If that's also half-duplex, I'll just pop the pocket change for a decent full-duplex card. Thanks for the helpings, guys!
Before you go that route, let me see if I can get this to work. Something seems a little odd about all of this to me...

Will report back in a few ...

edit: OK the results are in: This does not work, unless I messed something up. I opened iTunes and started playling music; I setup everything for shoutcast and set the input to soundcard and selected "line-in"; booted up another computer and got nothing but static. No workie.

However, it does work with two soundcards. All of have to do is play iTunes through the windows default card, tell winamp to use the soundcard input from your secondary card. Finally, take the line out of the windows default card and run it to the line in of the second card. Then you will be golden.

I believe we simply forgot to state that two soundcards are needed to make this work properly.

Cheers!
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2006, 18:53   #16
kaptnjack

Ok...I got it working with itunes.

Well...on one machine anyway. This machine is using a mixing board thats patched to a rack of audio processors, DAT's, decks etc. I chose soundcard as source...basically "what you hear" and we were off and running.

The other PC has two soundcards too but I will have to interconnect the xlr's coming from the antex 2000 with an adapter and patch through the sblive card. anyway thats the paln and I think it will work based on my growing understanding.

One issue however and I am not sure if its got anything to do with itunes or not. Everytime the song changes I hear a skip about 5 seconds into the track,,,then it sounds like it speeds up...then a little skip and then it plays fine until the next title change. If anyone is interested please give it a spin a www.katrockradio.com

Some tunes it not as obvious but it's still there.

Anyway...thanks for the help
Old 8th July 2006, 00:24   #17
fc*uk

numerous people have reported problems similar to this in the past, however, I do not know if anyone has come up with a definitive answer to it. I'll try to dig up some old threads and see if anything jumps out at me....
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2006, 04:32   #18
kaptnjack

thanks for the effort.

I will keep trying to google it too.
Old 8th October 2008, 16:58   #19
digitalgenius

Quote:
Originally posted by hackerdork

Legal issues:
Also I can see some 'legal' problems, if you have an encrypted m4a file in iTUNES and you play it over the air, you are breaking copyright laws in the USA. Even if you own the CD/DVD or mp3 you are not allowed to broadcast without a license. Read iTUNES licensing agreement, and read up more on broadcasting before you step in the poop. www.loudcity.com is one resource (US based) broadcast licensing.

Take care
As far as the legal issues for US internet radio stations, you cannot play more than a certain percent of any given album. As of the 29 of September 2008, the law really applies to on demand radio stations where you can skip songs or choose what you want to listen to. The worst thing that can happen to any INDEPENDENT broadcaster like me, a home user who makes my music available to select individuals, is being told to stop. For BUSINESSES with SPONSORS and actual radio stations broadcasting on the internet are responsible for paying royalties at somewhere near $0.008 to $0.011 per song.
digitalgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2008, 17:38   #20
dotme

Quote:
Originally posted by digitalgenius
...The worst thing that can happen to any INDEPENDENT broadcaster like me, a home user who makes my music available to select individuals, is being told to stop. For BUSINESSES with SPONSORS and actual radio stations broadcasting on the internet are responsible for paying royalties at somewhere near $0.008 to $0.011 per song.
That is completely false.

You can be SUED by the labels - that's the worst thing that can happen to you.

The RIAA do not care at all that you're not-for-profit. If you make copyrighted music available to the public, whether major label or indie, and you don't have the legal releases from the copyright holders, you're responsible for paying royalties.

This law applies in the US to all webcasters regardless of size.
dotme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2008, 21:11   #21
digitalgenius

Quote:
Originally posted by dotme
That is completely false.

You can be SUED by the labels - that's the worst thing that can happen to you.

The RIAA do not care at all that you're not-for-profit. If you make copyrighted music available to the public, whether major label or indie, and you don't have the legal releases from the copyright holders, you're responsible for paying royalties.

This law applies in the US to all webcasters regardless of size.
Not to start an arguement here but there are some things you are correct in. First, you CAN'T stream protected audio. Stripping the DRM is still of questionable legality. However, an INDIVIDUAL CAN BROADCAST LEGALLY PURCHASED MUSIC FOR PERSONAL USE. Personal use can extend to friends and family. This is called FAIR USE and each and every time an organization tries to sue or convict someone, the issue is either dropped or reversed.

If you run an internet radio station; Meaning and advertised station, say one that is listed with Shoutcast, Windows Media, or iTuned Radio, the following applies:

Each year, Internet radio stations must pay a minimum fee to SoundExchange, and that fee is due by January 31. These minimum fees are applied against the obligations of a Internet radio service to pay royalties for the use of sound recordings on their stations. SoundExchange does not send bills, so webcasters must remember, on their own, to make the payments. For commercial webcasters (including broadcasters who stream their signals on the Internet), under the Copyright Royalty Board decision released last March, a minimum fee of $500 per channel is due. While SoundExchange and certain large webcasters agreed to cap this minimum fee liability at $50,000 no matter how many channels a webcaster transmits (see our post here), this agreement has yet to be submitted to the CRB for approval. Minimum payments are also due from noncommercial and small webcasters.

Under the CRB decision, noncommercial webcasters also owe a minimum fee of $500 per channel. Small webcasters, who earlier this year accepted the SoundExchange offer about which we wrote here, owe a minimum fee of $2000 if they had 2007 revenues of less than $50,000, and minimum fees of $5000 if their 2007 revenues exceeded $50,000. Note that details about these minimums are difficult to locate on the SoundExchange website. Nevertheless, the current rules require that these payments be made. Future settlement negotiations may adjust some of these minimums but, as of this moment, the failure to pay the minimum fees could, at a minimum, subject an Internet radio service to penalty fees and interest payments.

Again, this is not to argue. It's best to play it safe as the entertainment industry is notorious for creating or ignoring their own rules. The person using itunes to broadcast may be violating APPLE's TOS, but may not be violating any laws if his dues are paid. Still, there really isn't any CONCRETE laws the apply to internet radio. Many of the restrictions you have listed are specific to AM/FM broadcasts. Until LAST.FM was brought into the limelight, as it were, internet radio was the wild west of music. The information is located on an attorny web blog that deals with music related issues.

http://www.broadcastlawblog.com/arch...net-radio.html
digitalgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support