Old 8th July 2003, 01:50   #121
klaypeeple

Logic for the RIAA

The RIAA is doomed to fail anyway. I have some questions regarding their sue-the-listeners campaign.
1. How will we buy any more music when we're paying off lawsuit fines?
2. How will the price of CD's become more attractive if you're blowing profits on lawsuit filing?
3. Once we're all locked up... How will we buy music from prison? Kinda hard to fill the seats at concerts if we're all incarcerated as well.

Let the RIAA drown in the pool of it's own vomit. Support your local artists. Support your local "mom & pop" music shops. Support your local clubs.
~Jim
klaypeeple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2003, 03:47   #122
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

what i'm wondering is the RIAA going to "share" any money they get with the artists?
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2003, 17:27   #123
mmontgomery

Quote:
Originally posted by Mattress
mmontgomery, one problem I see with your "right-to-use" idea is sometimes I'll get a CD and I'll give it to my friend to borrow for a while, how does that work with thr right-to-use system? to I sell my right to use to my friend? and then he'll sell it back to me? Is a right-to-use something you can buy from individuals (like a used CD) or only from the copyright owner?
Great question, Mattress! Clearly, for right-to-use to take off, we need good management tools.

I look at Magic the Gathering Online (MTGO) [www.wizards.com] to get some idea of these management tools. Here, you collect electronic cards. Effectively, you get right-to-use for the cards you own. The right to use is easy to transfer to other people. You both make a connection to the server, and you can give or trade various electronic cards. If you want paper cards, you can redeem the electronic cards for paper cards.

I look at a good right to use scheme as having similar properties. The rights are easy to lend or trade, even easier in many cases than handing over a CD, since you can trade with people in remote locations without shipping costs. If you want a CD, you can burn a CD anytime you like with any songs that you have rights to. I do not view this as "redemption" as in MTGO, but rather fair use.

As to the question about whether it is legal to lend a CD, the answer is yes, as long as you don't make use of any backup copies of any kind while the CD is being lent out. It is not legal to give or lend a backup copy to anyone, unless you are lending or giving the original to the same person as well. So you might lend a CD and backup to someone, asking that they play the backup only, so that the don't scratch the original.
mmontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2003, 16:54   #124
bowdown2theDOG

Another question: How is DESTROYING A STUDENTS LIFE going to help them sell more music.

Its basic psychology - If you make people hate you, then you can't expect people to help you out by buying the music.

The RIAA needs people to like them right now, and the way that they can cold heartedly destroy the financial life of a few kids (and the families) is NOT going to help them.

The claim that its "stealing" is laughable. If you went into a video store, took a video, and walked out, its stealing.
If you walked in with a blank video, magically copied the contents of a film onto it, and walked out, its not stealing!

The music industry thinks that it can extort kids and get away with it.

Retards.
bowdown2theDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2003, 17:30   #125
DracoVulpine

Magic can be fun and entertaining. But I'd rather see someone try carrying in a CD/DVD duplicator into a store and asking the management to borrow a power outlet. I think that would be more entertaining.

And technically, under current law...yes...copying the content of one tape to another without buying the first is stealing. So is making a copy to give to a friend. Basically, any way you can see of someone getting a copy of a movie/song/program without paying for it (assuming it's not freeware) is considered stealing.
DracoVulpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2003, 04:50   #126
Mattress
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by mmontgomery
Great question, Mattress! Clearly, for right-to-use to take off, we need good management tools.

I look at a good right to use scheme as having similar properties. The rights are easy to lend or trade, even easier in many cases than handing over a CD, since you can trade with people in remote locations without shipping costs. If you want a CD, you can burn a CD anytime you like with any songs that you have rights to. I do not view this as "redemption" as in MTGO, but rather fair use.
Okay but can already see a flaw in this system, I buy a right to use and then I burn a copy of the CD, then I give it to a friend and he burns a copy and so on and so forth, maybe not as fast as P2P but still it would be an issue, anyway, what's stopping me from ripping the CD I burned back into unregulated mp3s and then sharing them over p2p, maybe I can spoof them and make the regulation think that they're of my own original work that I would own the copyright to so I could then distribute them as much as I pleased.

The reason the system works with M:tG is because you can really only use the electronic cards with the M:tG software, but I want to play my mp3s or CDs with winamp and windows media player and itunes and on my rio and I also want to try out this mp3 player that my nerdy friend wrote in COBOL, etc etc..

I like your idea but I think it would be a nightmare to attempt to regulate something like that, and people would be breaking your encryptions and safe guards faster than you could develop new ones. Just look at how fast someone found a way around that crap they tried to do with CDs to keep them from playing in a computer. With a sharpie no less.
Mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2003, 09:33   #127
RU-486

I believe the RIAA can jerk me off for a couple of centuries and it still wouldn't be enough. The reason record sales are down is this: 99% of music being recorded and released on major labels is total shite. It's like William Gibson's Idoru. They make these new pop culture icons every 3 to 4 months, promote them to godlike status, make billions of dollars off of them, and then six months later, no one remembers them.
Money isn't really made of of album sales in the first place, it's from all the merchandising and tours. The Rolling Stones brought in 89 million dollars in 1989 from the Steel Wheels tour over a six month period. That was almost fifteen years ago@!!! How much are the record labels making off Eminems tours, or Madonnas? And then the merchandising alone makes billions. How many $30 T-shirts have they sold with Slipknot or Marilyn Manson on them? What about posters, bumper stickers, music books, breakfast cereals?
I am a P2P user, but none of the bands I share and downstream are on labels that are part of the RIAA. They're on smaller, independent labels that use file sharing as free promotion. I may have "stolen" my Void Construct album from file sharing, but if I hadn't, I wouldn't have spent the $300 I did on concert tickets, T-shirts, and yes, the cds.
They can all eat my ass.
Btw, any music on my hard drive from a label that is a member of the RIAA, you will find in my cd binder. Last year a federal court in Norway ruled against the MPAA in favour of divx files stating that if an individual purchases a dvd/album/book whatever, that they are purchasing the content of the media. How they choose to access that content is their own perrogative.
RU-486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2003, 10:33   #128
discoleo

I wrote a short essay explaining the reasons of dropping music sales on the DivX Forums:http://forums©divx©com/viewtopic©php...=51321&forum=5©

It is called The Lost War© If the link doesn't work, I'll copy the text©

The discussion went later a little bit off topic, but it is still interesting to read©

Kind regards,

discoleo©
discoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2003, 10:53   #129
discoleo

For unknown reasons, the dots got replaced by copyrights in my previous post. This one should work.

I wrote a short essay explaining the reasons of dropping music sales on the DivX Forums: http://forums.divx.com/viewtopic.php...=51321&forum=5

It is called The Lost War.

The discussion went later a little bit off topic, but it is still interesting to read.

Kind regards,

discoleo.
discoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2003, 15:46   #130
papadoc
Comfortably Numb
(Forum King)

Hillary Rosen is a terrorist!
She's declared jihad on the American public!
She's worse than Osama Bin Laden!
She is an enemy of the country!
The RIAA is the new Taliban!
She should be tracked down and jailed
for crimes against the people!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/31833.html

http://washingtontimes.com/upi-break...2703-6880r.htm

Last edited by papadoc; 20th July 2003 at 16:44.
papadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2003, 00:50   #131
papadoc
Comfortably Numb
(Forum King)

Well...you'll never guess who's come out with a public statement,
to say that putting people in jail for downloading music is wrong.

http://sg.news.yahoo.com/030721/1/3cq45.html

This fool never does much to impress me anymore,
but I have to admit I respect this position.
Old 22nd July 2003, 04:34   #132
Mattress
Forum King

If the king of pop stands with us, who can be against us?

oh yeah...
Old 22nd July 2003, 06:00   #133
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

wow, it's great to see something like that, but imho, it would've had more of an impact if it came from some one else.
Old 22nd July 2003, 07:08   #134
Mattress
Forum King

Yeah, someone with Cred, like Fred Durst!
Old 23rd July 2003, 00:23   #135
spookz

i'd say lost of people have put sharing on hold for the time being.
think i heard kazaa lost a substantial number of users after the threats. suits will be filed only if you are redistributing copyrighted stuff thru p2p. the mere presence of mp3's on hd is not criminal as that is "fair use" (copy for personal use)

sPooKZ
spookz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2003, 01:05   #136
papadoc
Comfortably Numb
(Forum King)

Is it possible that the RIAA are breaking the law,
by hastily issuing subpoena's to colleges?
Boston College and MIT thinks so.
They've refused to hand over information,
until the RIAA follows the law.

http://news.com.com/2100-1027_3-5052884.html

I say this again.
The RIAA is the new terrorist organization we should all be going after.
They have no regard for the law.
They have no regard for the life, and well being of others.
They're a malignant cancer that's spreading in the veins of America.
Old 23rd July 2003, 04:16   #137
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Students Vs. RIAA settlement

*stolen from a site*

Jul 9 2003
Donations Solve Student's RIAA Settlement
Jesse Jordan, the 19-year-old Long Island native who was one of four college students sued by the RIAA for copyright infringement for running a search engine online, has received all $12,000 of the legal settlement he had to pay in just six weeks, after soliciting donations on his Web site, www.chewplastic.com. In fact, support for Jordan was so overwhelming that he had to post a message asking people to stop sending him money. Jordan’s father told the New York Post that more than 900 people sent donations ranging from 10 cents to $500 to aid the beleaguered student. Chewplastic is now instead soliciting donations to help Princeton student Daniel Peng raise his own $15,000 settlement. As of press time, almost half of that settlement had already been collected, as well.

hmmm, grass-root movement in affect.
Old 23rd July 2003, 04:23   #138
Mattress
Forum King

That proves that people are willing to pay for music online, they just don't want to pay an asshole organization like the RIAA.
Old 26th July 2003, 10:27   #139
BigShane

one must consider of course whether the riaa will lower their cd prices if they win this p2p thing. i doubt they'll lower them....more likely to raise prices as if to say "nah nah nah nah nah nah"
BigShane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2003, 14:08   #140
Mattress
Forum King

If they continue to raise prices I certainly am not going to buy more CDs, even if I can't get them for free online.
So if they do manage to stamp out illegal file sharing and people still don't buy CDs, then what?
Old 26th July 2003, 14:22   #141
BigShane

Quote:
If they continue to raise prices I certainly am not going to buy more CDs, even if I can't get them for free online.
So if they do manage to stamp out illegal file sharing and people still don't buy CDs, then what?
couldn't tell you.

but $250000 is a bit extreme don't you think? i mean something this accessible shouldn't be fined so heartily. it's one thing to blatently plagerize a book for a report, but copying music for personal use isn't plagerism, is it?

besides, they have to decide whether this is theft or copyright infringements. i don't believe they are quite the same thing. what's the penalty for stealing a cd from a music store? i'm not sure, but it couldn't possibly be $250000.
Old 26th July 2003, 14:33   #142
Mattress
Forum King

Copying something and claiming it is your own original work is plagerism.

I agree, that that law is completely ridiculous.
If the risk of downloading music goes up so high, maybe it'll be more feasable to steal music from CD stores, less ricky anyway.
Old 26th July 2003, 14:59   #143
BigShane

Quote:
Copying something and claiming it is your own original work is plagerism.
but i don't claim it as my own work when i dl it and listen to it. oftentimes i say, "hey friend, listen to this song i dled. it's from X BAND, and i think you would like it."

never have i said, "hey friend, listen to this song i wrote and recorded here on my laptop computer. it's mine, all mine."

so i merely steal it....i'll lose my hand but at least i can say i'm original...
Old 18th August 2003, 22:13   #144
dlichterman
Forum King

Hey what do you guys think about grokster and all being oked by the judge?

Also, How can they use info they gather to get supoenas? Its not collected legally.....you need a warrant(normally) dont you?

--Dan

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
dlichterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2003, 22:46   #145
xzxzzx
Forum King

No, they're just recording internet traffic.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2003, 13:02   #146
webthing
Forum King

Associated Press Aug. 18, 2003

RIAA says it doesn't target small downloaders.

webthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2003, 15:12   #147
Mattress
Forum King

File Sharing is legal in Canada
Quote:
In fact, you could not have designed a law which more perfectly captures the peer to peer process. "Private copying" is a term of art in the Act. In Canada, if I own a CD and you borrow it and make a copy of it that is legal private copying; however, if I make you a copy of that same CD and give it to you that would be infringement. Odd, but ideal for protecting file sharers.

Every song on my hard drive comes from a CD in my collection or from a CD in someone else's collection which I have found on a P2P network. In either case I will have made the copy and will claim safe harbor under the "private copying" provision. If you find that song in my shared folder and make a copy this will also be "private copying." I have not made you a copy, rather you have downloaded the song yourself.
Quote:
If the RIAA were to somehow succeed in shutting down every "supernode" in America all this would do is transfer the traffic to the millions of file sharers in Canada. And, as 50% of Canadians on the net have broadband (as compared to 20% of Americans) Canadian file sharers are likely to be able to meet the demand.
It's a losing battle for the RIAA, time to start re-thinking your business model.
Old 19th August 2003, 17:02   #148
xzxzzx
Forum King

Problem: Your PC is the one making the copy, not theirs. In actuality, it more closly fits the "I make you a copy of that same CD and give it to you" analogy.

Now, if you were to transfer, entirely, the file (deleting it on your end), and then, the person on the other side were to copy it and then send it back, *that* could possibly be protected. But that's not how it works.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
Old 19th August 2003, 17:22   #149
Mattress
Forum King

technically you made the copy for yourself, you got the other person's computer to copy the file and send it to you. The other person and their computer would not do this on their own.
Old 19th August 2003, 17:38   #150
xzxzzx
Forum King

But you never had the original in the first place.

The person that HAS the file is the one making the copy. You can't make a copy of something that you do not have, can you? Just because you asked software on his machine to do so does not make you the copier.

The analogy breaks down, as the person never trasferred ownership of the file (or 'borrowed' the file) in the first place. What is he sending you? A copy. Which means that the copy was made before you started 'owning' the file.

Old 21st August 2003, 06:12   #151
Lumpy_Custard

I don't know much about the music industry, but what i do know is that artists make poop all compared to record companies. Artists make more money from live shows than albums. Me being a teenager don't have much money and I would rather spend it on a live gig than an album. The future as I see it is P2P because as more people turn to the internet more people will download music. Of course this will result in loss of profit for record companies but the world is always changing. I would like to see more artists releasing music on the internet to promote themselves. I am downloading the new WEEN album at the moment because someone decided it would be a great idea not to release it in australia. With P2P availability is huge as you can access music from literally anywhere.
Lumpy_Custard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2003, 06:50   #152
xzxzzx
Forum King

Well, while artists may make some money off of touring, sometimes, it's usually little. Sometimes more than touring. It takes about 1,000,000 record sales to really make some money, which then far outshadows touring profit.

But yeah. The record companies are screwed up.

Old 5th September 2003, 16:40   #153
dlichterman
Forum King

Well now we need to make a program that takes the file, deletes it on the other end, then copies and sends back the file. Well, that will be a while. Any other major news not from the RIAA..........which is their bullshit.
--Dan

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free.-*-If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0-*-Guess the band from pics game
dlichterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2003, 23:25   #154
Cookies_Rock

I agree with Papadoc... It just makes sense when you explain it :P
Cookies_Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2003, 19:46   #155
thursday

This is the best piece of writing I've seen on the subject.

Read.
thursday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2003, 21:14   #156
Mattress
Forum King

you should really never center body copy.
Old 7th September 2003, 02:43   #157
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
you should really never center body copy.
That's true.

It's also true that while that article has a some good points, several are just wrong:

Quote:
"And until you get this 44-digit number and enter it, your computer is brain dead. Kaput. Doesn't work. "
Uh... yeah, if you wait the 30 days before you activate the PC.

Quote:
"Not unless they sue the individual users. And it's been clearly established that the labels are NOT going to do that."
Read the news lately?

Quote:
Forget security: Record companies fail to realize. As much security as they build into their online systems, the underlying CDs are STILL UNPROTECTED!
Duh.. but what if there's a government mandated DRM chip in your PC?

Old 28th October 2003, 03:37   #158
nesNYC

Send a message via Yahoo to nesNYC
The big picture isn't about file sharing or less selection or anything that de-regulation legislation hasn't killed.

What killed music is not being able to hear it. On the radio that is. I live in NY and on the FM dial, you can hear basically the same playlist on every major pop station. It's that way from market to market. Who we should really be blaming is Clear Channel and their cronies in the Senate and Congress, even good ol Ronald Regan for beginning this "deregulation" craze. "Deregulation" has resulted in consolidation of ownership in too few hands. When you hear the same 10 songs on the radio from station to station and from city to city, that is at the core of the problem. That is censorship and consolidation working hand in hand.

How is this killing the music industry? Well, how are the rest of us going to know what's really out there if they can't hear it? When Ricky Martin is on every major station, it takes up the place of a small indie group that won't be heard. A lot of us know where to get out music, but the majority of us don't.

The RIAA along with the Federal Government want consolidation. The government fears people's free expression cause it can come back and bite them in the a$$. We're talking revolution here and that's what is being prevented by passing these regressive laws. The RIAA only want the choice to be the 5 major labels. If music is being bought, they want the 5 to make the $$.

The solution for getting music sales up is radio re-regulation, strong anti payola laws and just more support for smaller and more independent labels.
nesNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2003, 18:09   #159
guilmon

Quote:
Vedder should learn to keep his mouth shut and just sing. I’m torn… since I already bought the tickets, I feel I have to go… if for no other reason than to boo him when he starts running his mouth. Hey Eddie, how about going to college for a year before you start talking smack about shit you know nothing about… you pansy ass haven’t been good since Ten fuggin hippie. Oh wait, that’s right, Eddie is a Green Party member, which means he lives in a fucking fantasy world where everyone loves each other and business isn’t necessary. Even though He’s already Got His.
I did not appreciate the way this article talks about the green party. In fact, that's not how the green party works.
guilmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2003, 22:56   #160
dodger758

Send a message via AIM to dodger758
i could make this really long and get into lots of details but i have to go to a party soon, right now i'm just waitin for the phone call.

it seems to me (although my tastes in music are obviously different than many peoples) that the best bands out there are the ones that don't bitch about this subject. for starters...

-dave matthews band: allowed people to plug their recorders into the soundboards and record their concerts. this is undoubtedly a factor in the popularity or dmb. if the band never would have allowed people to do this, all of these people would have never gone back to their friends, never would have played their recordings, and they're friends would never jump on the boat.

-grateful dead: has been letting people record their music forever, this band cared nothing about the money, it was all about the music and the fans, but mostly the music. i don't remember the exact quote but jerry garcia said something to the effect that once the band played the music they were done with it, and people could do with it what they want. this gave birth to so many bands (off of the top of my mind phish, widespread panic, maybe dmb, maybe rusted root, etc.). maybe i'll get into it more later on, or find the actual quote, but as for now i must leave. please add if you wish! peace,
dan
dodger758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News