Old 18th November 2003, 05:35   #1
Thomas12yrold

Send a message via Yahoo to Thomas12yrold
Windows rulezzz.. Linux sucks

Hi all,

Haha Microsoft Critics .... How very stupid for a bunch of guys to criticize Microsoft...

Why do most people in the world have Windows on their computer? Why are 85% of the applications in the world programmed for Windows (let it be Windows 9x, Me, NT, 2k, XP, 2k3 or even Windows Embedded CE)? All applications are first devoloped for Windows and then ported to Linux..

I do agree that Linux and Unix both have stable kernels ... Windows also has a decent kernel.. DECENT..

Wwwwwait a minute... Havent you guys heard of the Windows Longhorn OS.. I'm sure WinFS, Avalon & Indigo of Longhorn can very easily beat up Linux/Unix... Longhorn is 64bit/32bit compatible .. I'm sure capable of ANYTHING Linux or Unix can do.. and a very very much more.. Though I've not checked out the Longhorn ALPHA or else BETA.. I can make out its goin 2 be a rock solid OS ... (I'm already goin through the Programming of a Longhorn App and XAML with Longhorn code in VB .NET, VC# .NET etc. rocks!!

Linux's so-called "Gnome" is no match for Avalon or even for WinXP's GUI

Haha, Linux's CharUI ... blah ...

Newayz I'm 12 years of age and ... going & growing ... I'm almost an MCSD (a lil more exams to go) and doin my MCSE in a few..

reply via mail (preferred) or else reply to this thread
Thomas12yrold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2003, 05:58   #2
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

riiiiiiiight, come back when you grow up

However i feel obligated to make a few points,

regarding the WinFS, similar filesystems are being developed for Linux aswell, one of those is Gnome Strorage, which basicly work the same way
> http://www.gnome.org/~seth/storage/features.html

Why does most users use Windows, well, because it's the easiest OS, and alot of properary software is being developed for Windows only.

64 bit? Linux allready does this.
> http://www.suse.com/us/private/produ...386/64bit.html
(and that's just an example=

But if you're happy with Windows, use it, im happy with Linux so that's what i use.... both has it strong and weak points.... but one thing windows is NOT , is superior.

Last edited by ertmann|CPH; 18th November 2003 at 06:19.
ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2003, 06:11   #3
idynkydnk

stop stealing our jobs
idynkydnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2003, 09:05   #4
mrharhar

Location: From: From: From: From: From: From: From: From: From: From: From: From: From: From: From: From: From:
Quote:
stop stealing our jobs
er? What?

-there is no signature-
mrharhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2003, 12:28   #5
Thomas12yrold

Send a message via Yahoo to Thomas12yrold
Quote:
Originally posted by ertmann|CPH
riiiiiiiight, come back when you grow up

However i feel obligated to make a few points,

regarding the WinFS, similar filesystems are being developed for Linux aswell, one of those is Gnome Strorage, which basicly work the same way
> http://www.gnome.org/~seth/storage/features.html

Why does most users use Windows, well, because it's the easiest OS, and alot of properary software is being developed for Windows only.

64 bit? Linux allready does this.
> http://www.suse.com/us/private/produ...386/64bit.html
(and that's just an example=

But if you're happy with Windows, use it, im happy with Linux so that's what i use.... both has it strong and weak points.... but one thing windows is NOT , is superior.
ertmannCPH,

Did I even say that Linux doesnt support 64 bit?
Hmmmm.... Gnome's File System seems quite OK....
Yeah right!! Linux is superior to Windows .. NO WAY

You like Linux.... KEEP IT THAT WAY ... Unless you want a 12 year old to show you what your missing ....

There's alot more to me than just being a 12 year old ...
I wish people understood that....

Newayz I like Windows... I program in Windowz, on Windowz and for Windows and I'm goin to keep it that way...

Windows XP doesnt have any weak points ('cept for a lil unstable kernel and some glitches[*]) ... That is if people (well like you) knew how to use it..
[*] -> Yeah Windows does have some holes and bloopers that even i'm not too happy bout but overall WINDOWS ROCKS!
Thomas12yrold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2003, 13:20   #6
idynkydnk

Quote:
Originally posted by mrharhar
er? What?
India is taking a lot of Americas programming jobs
idynkydnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2003, 14:30   #7
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

*annoying buzzer sound* Wrong! It's the coporate sleaze balls that are giving those jobs to the Indian work force.
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2003, 15:32   #8
Agent007

Thomas12yrold,

Quote:
Why do most people in the world have Windows on their computer? Why are 85% of the applications in the world programmed for Windows (let it be Windows 9x, Me, NT, 2k, XP, 2k3 or even Windows Embedded CE)? All applications are first devoloped for Windows and then ported to Linux..
Windows 9x, Me are Operating Systems? From when?? Ever heard about the BSOD's, hangups, cold reboots etc required by these pieces of CRAP? Head over and check out the security issues involving Windows 2K,XP,2K3 and tell me if these so called OS's with a 'decent' kernel as u mentioned are worthy enough to be compared with GNU/Linux. Btw are u using a pirated copy of Windows? Don't worry I wont be suprised if u are..98% of Windblows software is pirated in India. Add to that Office, Anti-virus, Graphics editing, Visual Studio, Games, System tools etc etc...So much for ur 85% of proprietary junk.

Quote:
Havent you guys heard of the Windows Longhorn OS.. I'm sure WinFS, Avalon & Indigo of Longhorn can very easily beat up Linux/Unix... Longhorn is 64bit/32bit compatible ..
Yes, I've heard about Windows Longhorn, looks to be very interesting with the big clock taking up half the space on the desktop. Oh! and how can I forget the cool Digital Rights Management feature u will enjoy. How much of productivity can u get out by turning windows upside down??? lol

Quote:
Linux's so-called "Gnome" is no match for Avalon or even for WinXP's GUI
Atleast its original and not a rip off from Apple! Damm, they've even ripped the concept of the start button...

Quote:
You like Linux.... KEEP IT THAT WAY ... Unless you want a 12 year old to show you what your missing ....
Yes, I'd love to know what I'm missing.

Quote:
Newayz I like Windows... I program in Windowz, on Windowz and for Windows and I'm goin to keep it that way...
Who the hell cares about that? U r the one who started trolling...

Quote:
Yeah Windows does have some holes and bloopers that even i'm not too happy bout but overall WINDOWS ROCKS!
No, Windows does not rock! The kids who use it, think it does..worse than a leaking bucket which can never be plugged..
Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2003, 16:06   #9
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by ShyShy
*annoying buzzer sound* Wrong! It's the coporate sleaze balls that are giving those jobs to the Indian work force.
Actually it's americas best friend, global capitalism.

.: fwgx.co.uk.:.My art:.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2003, 16:51   #10
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Umm, yeah what Phily said
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2003, 17:47   #11
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

Quote:

Did I even say that Linux doesnt support 64 bit?

no, did i say you did, i just said linux allready supports it, and windows doesn't

Hmmmm.... Gnome's File System seems quite OK....

Quote:

Yeah right!! Linux is superior to Windows .. NO WAY

it would be good if you cared to read what i actually wrote, if you want a discusion.

Quote:

I've been using Microsoft's products, before Windows was invented, my first OS was MSDOS 5.0. And i've been using Microsoft products all the way up to WindowsXP, and then i switched to Linux - i know exactly what i'm missing - and no, i don't miss it. Have you even tried out Linux?

Quote:

There's alot more to me than just being a 12 year old ...
I wish people understood that....

Then maybe you should stop speaking l33t speach, and listen to other people's points when you argue

Quote:

well good for you, and that's perfectly fine - the same way it's perfectly fine i use Linux

Quote:

Windows XP doesnt have any weak points ('cept for a lil unstable kernel and some glitches[*]) ... That is if people (well like you) knew how to use it..

WTF? who says i don't know how to use Windows.... i do, i was a windows user until 3 months ago. And yes, windows does have weak points.

My main point of switching is that now allmost every piece of software is free and legal copies. I can tweak my OS fx. by recompiling the kernel - i can't do that in windows.
Old 18th November 2003, 18:19   #12
morgado
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to morgado
Some people think I'm crazy, some people agree with me ...
I've been using windows for 7 years, I started with Windows 95 and stoped @ Windows 98 SE ... why !?
Well, when i bought this new PC I'm on, I've tried WinXP, and before that I've already worked on a WinXp PC .. and well ... IT'S DAMN CRAPPY !!
Don't tell me I don't know how to use WinXP because my father is a informatic teacher ... and made his text for draduation about Windows, all versions, and he teaches me everything I got to learn ...
And, well, I'd really like to try linux, but I'm very lazy ...
I just wish I would learn how to separate my HD ... That would be the first step, and second, I'd like to know a good and friendly version of linux, and some things of how working in it ... as well that Windows has only desapointed me ....
morgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2003, 18:33   #13
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

besides, you should thank all of us giving Microsoft just a small amount of competition - just see what happended when MS won the browser war. how old is IE6?
Old 18th November 2003, 19:34   #14
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

I use WinXP and I really like it, I haven't formatted since February, which a record for me when I used to format about twice a week with win98. To be honest I'm not that impressed with Linux but this might be because my experience lies with Solaris as a Unix system and Windows as a friendly OS. To me Linux is trying hard to bridge the gap but it just isn't there yet. For starters it's no where near as stable as Solaris, most of the GUI config management tools I've tried don't work and crash excessivly. Not even XP is as bad as it is. I also don't find it any more stable than XP as a whole OS, it does some very strange things and has crashed on numerous occasions. So as a desktop its just as stable as XP but more difficult to use and doesn't support some of the fantastic programs windows does. Visio, for example, is now the greatest program ever created in my opinion.

So Linux isn't as good as Solaris as a server or a desktop, they're similar usability wise but Solaris is way more stable, especially as a desktop. For novice user Linux is not at all suitable, windows is fantastic in this regard and as much as I like Solaris for many things, you just can't beat downloading something, running an installer and loading up this new program with no fuss whatso ever.

Give Linux a few more years and it'll hopefully get there but the developers have to realise that ease of use for all destop users is more important than anything else.

Old 18th November 2003, 20:30   #15
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

i've only had one crash with Linux so far, and that was probably my gfx card overheating.

What distribution did you try philly?
Old 18th November 2003, 20:55   #16
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

Mandrake, as that's the only one I've been able to install ok. Slackware just won't boot properly after I've installed it and RedHat crashes all the time dure install, plus I don't want to use RedHat due to their current lisencing and support policy. I'm going to try installing SuSE now. I'll let you know how it goes....

Old 19th November 2003, 00:02   #17
Starbucks
Forum King

I have great experiences with RedHat and SuSE. I don't use Solaris for SPARC that much.
Quote:
by recompiling the kernel - i can't do that in windows.
yep, that's why i like Linux.

Thomas12yrold, have you ever tired Linux? What troubles are you having with Linux? I have tried Windows BTW (And almost every other OS in the world), and i have no problems with it as a business OS.
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2003, 02:16   #18
LollipopLustKil
Insomniac
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to LollipopLustKil
I've never tried Linux yet, but I'm thinking of switching soon. WinXP is really pissing me off lately, it crashes every 3 hours on me now.

I read somewhere where Windows is starting to give their source code out to different countries. I think Russia was first...

Scotty Doesn't Know
LollipopLustKil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2003, 04:11   #19
corkhead0
Major Dude

People, people. Ignore the silly trolls.

12 year old claiming to be an MSCD :lol:
corkhead0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2003, 04:54   #20
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

yeah, i wondered what MSCD was?

go away silly trolls
Old 19th November 2003, 15:40   #21
Starbucks
Forum King

I think he ment MCSE. A close friend of mine has one. See. Windows machines break so fast you need to hire someone to fix it.
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2003, 15:19   #22
yakko_nef

Quote:
yeah, i wondered what MSCD was?

go away silly trolls
I am sure he meant MCSD but that is even less beleivable than MCSE.

http://www.microsoft.com/traincert/mcp/mcsd/

Strangely I don't beleive a 12 year old is going to have this certification and not already have his MCSE.
yakko_nef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2003, 19:05   #23
devils night

you seen the alpha and beta? i did not even know longhorn had either out. also didn't microsoft scapted the current longhorn and started it over from scratch? either that or they were talking about there new file system that is totally in XML

Proud Winamp user since 1997
(Winamp 1.006)
devils night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2003, 22:43   #24
eleet-2k2
Forum King

Once again, another ignorant juvenile punk joins up to the forum. Come back when you learn to spell, formulate sentences and write coherently, and become educated about WHY we dislike Windows.

"Welcome to the Island of people who know too much."..."Did you really think balloons would stop him?!"
See what I'm listening too.
eleet-2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2003, 02:42   #25
rpxmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Starbucks
I think he ment MCSE. A close friend of mine has one. See. Windows machines break so fast you need to hire someone to fix it.
MCSD and MCSE are two different things. MCSD is for development using Microshaft tools, while MCSE is for networking with Microshaft tools. Having an MCSD is not proof that you're good in programming. It just means, to the employer, that you know how to use VB-Not-Yet or whatever.

Keep in mind that having a four year in Computer Science is waaay better than any of this certification crap.

12-year-old, thanks for starting this thread, you child. Expect to be humiliated very badly in public from now on.

Last edited by rpxmaster; 22nd November 2003 at 04:47.
rpxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2003, 13:14   #26
Da PlaN-R

Send a message via ICQ to Da PlaN-R Send a message via AIM to Da PlaN-R
Windows for a desktop OS for now for most users. Win2k when patched up against the nasty worms and stuff is a fine OS for everyday use.
Maybe you could get by with linux only in an office enviroment for word processing and such.

Linux for servers. Dont have anything more to say (except maybe FreeBSD).

XFree still makes all graphics on the CPU, the first thing they need to do is dump it and make something new that will render the desktop on the videocard like OS X and win XP do if they want it to be a desktop OS
Da PlaN-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2003, 16:41   #27
rpxmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by Da PlaN-R
XFree still makes all graphics on the CPU, the first thing they need to do is dump it and make something new that will render the desktop on the videocard like OS X and win XP do if they want it to be a desktop OS
...wouldn't that be the window manager's job?
Old 22nd November 2003, 17:29   #28
WhiteRayven
Major Dude

LMAO, I love this shit. I also have been using MS OS's since MS-Dos 5.0. Which in comparison to winblows, was actaully stable. Now I use winxp pro ("borrowed") because I dont see need to pay for an os that has security leaks.
I have been considering learning linux. The only reason I haven't yet is becuase a) I don't know what I have to do to get my dual monitor setup working on it. b) I simply dont have time for the learning curve. c) there is great OS course at my iniversity that I have to take any way. So once I take that I will most likley switch to linux.

I have heard the linux is more stable than winblows. Well, I have been using xp for about a year now, and I have to say that I have never had a BSOD. It has crashed here and there, but that was my fault, "learning" the registry via trial-and-error.

My point: Everyone bashes the big guy, ie MS. Thats normal. I personally try to have a more objective view. Both os's have thier strong points. Mac's are great for the average person who knows nothing about computers and doesn;t want to, Winblows would be a good way to learn more. Linux IMHO, is great for the developer/hacker, Its free(legaly), open source, stable, and comes in many flavours.

I personally use XP beacause i dont have to pay for it. MSDNAA.

BTW, What the hell does a 12 year child know about programming. And does he actually think that we are going to belive that he is a MSCD?
I call bullshit

Why make something idiot proof?? Someone will only make a better idiot!
WhiteRayven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2003, 17:44   #29
rpxmaster

Quote:
I can tweak my OS fx. by recompiling the kernel - i can't do that in windows.
Let's face it: Linux is sexy. Hard for a 12-year-old to understand.
Old 22nd November 2003, 18:00   #30
WhiteRayven
Major Dude

Hehe

Why make something idiot proof?? Someone will only make a better idiot!
WhiteRayven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2003, 18:21   #31
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
no, did i say you did, i just said linux allready supports it, and windows doesn't
i thought windows XP 64-bit edition had been around for a while now?

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2003, 18:52   #32
[X]Dmoz

It has, and at a very bloated price at that - and did I mention it only works with INTEL Chipsets???

As to this 12 year old - I don't believe you understand this topic. Windows has so many security flaws, holes, exploits, hardware problems, etc. etc. that I can't even be bothered to post it.

The only reason I don't use Linux (SuSe 8.2 Pro for all you Newbies wanting to learn - Easy install, good GUI, and as many pre-installed programs as you could possibly ever shake a stick at) is because my ADSL Modem is designed for Windows.

I do believe it is possible for a 12 year old t have this kind of knowledge - Search for "Ilia Karmanov" on Google, who incidentally got a "B" in his Computing A-Level when he was 11, and goes to my school. I am just 13, but I am starting to learn delphi at the moment.

This 12 year old, however, sounds far too arrogant to have these kind of Qualifications, even though it is possible to take them.

I ask you only one thing, 12 year old - Did you even get your parents to sign so you could access the forum?

If not, you are breaking the forum contract, and should be banned.

Dmoz
[X]Dmoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2003, 18:53   #33
mikm
Major Dude

[edit]nevermind[/edit]
Of course there are child prodigies, but I think he is trying to impress us. If he did have the MSCD, then he would talk like a responsible human being.

Maybe he's using MSCD to mean something else: Microsoft CD, or MSCE = Microsoft Windows CE.
Just a thought.