Old 30th November 2003, 01:22   #81
WhiteRayven
Major Dude

How did you get that to work? I have been trying to figure that out for ever

Why make something idiot proof?? Someone will only make a better idiot!
WhiteRayven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2003, 05:40   #82
xzxzzx
Forum King

M3wThr33:

Bah, just call up Microsoft. It's annoying, but they'll give you a new activation code. I've changed enough on my PC to have to call them at least 6 or 7 times now, and they don't give me any shit.

On the other hand, i's annnoying as hell, so I only use my *achm* legal *achm* copy of Windows XP Corperate Edition (in other words, with Activation removed).

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2003, 06:07   #83
WhiteRayven
Major Dude

Ok, I use the same "borrowed" copy, you do I think.
how'd you get around that?

Old 30th November 2003, 20:41   #84
xzxzzx
Forum King

Oh, I see what you guys are talking about. I was thinking of something else.

Here's some data on it:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?...=0&#entry78812

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
Old 30th November 2003, 21:08   #85
00mhenle

hehe...

Yeah, I installed that "borrowed" version two weeks before it's release. I got a copy of xp home when I bought my laptop, so no convictions here. I personally love xp however. I crash about once a week... if that. Yeah there are gimps and holes... but now that I'm getting into messing with my gui, things are starting to look good. http://getskinned.org is a good site for people that want to run from that crappy standard xp look.

My two cents...
The largest reason I see why people stick with Microsoft is that we are lazy. Who wants to learn a new program when what you have works just fine. You will continue to use it, you will teach your kids it, and so on. Only groundbreaking ideas and programs will be able to wrestle back Microsoft's grip. You have to convince someone they want something else before they will bother changing.

I haven't seen any real advantages of me changing from XP, so I won't... simple as that. I just game and play with graphic / web design.

Linux will grow though... if Microsoft continues on it's current path of digital seperation, then it will fall to the wayside. A man wrapped up in himself makes for a very small package.

Nuff said.
00mhenle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2003, 00:04   #86
DJHotIce
Forum Loser
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to DJHotIce Send a message via Yahoo to DJHotIce
Indeed. When I have a sucky system to get a hold of I'm gonna install Linux on it (or attempt to) It seems dificult but shouldn't be that bad.

I really want to get to know the interface and stuff!

You have good points there 00mhenle

-DJHotIce
Bounce Multimedia - Professional Web Design
DJHotIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2003, 07:28   #87
WhiteRayven
Major Dude

Well I am finnal gonna put slack linux on this computer. I can't wait. BTW does any one know how to get the extended desktop to work? (dual monitors)

Old 1st December 2003, 08:49   #88
00mhenle

uh huh...

You mean with windows?

I need to acquire a copy of linux and put it on my laptop's 10 gb win 98 partition. I will admit, I am interested in learning it, but definitally not for my main system. What's a good free version to learn on? Also, does anyone know of any online schools that have good linux learning courses? I can take them for free so spending a little cash for training is no biggie.
Old 1st December 2003, 16:46   #89
WhiteRayven
Major Dude

The best way to learn is to dive rught in, And yes I am going to dual boot linux and windows. I may even add win2k as another OS

Old 1st December 2003, 20:25   #90
rpxmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteRayven
Well I am finnal gonna put slack linux on this computer. I can't wait. BTW does any one know how to get the extended desktop to work? (dual monitors)
I haven't gotten this to work on XFree86 4.3.0, yet. I found it easier to do this on 4.2.0, though. I guess it all depends on what exactly you want to do with your second monitor.
rpxmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2003, 20:34   #91
rpxmaster

Re: uh huh...

Quote:
Originally posted by 00mhenle
I need to acquire a copy of linux and put it on my laptop's 10 gb win 98 partition. I will admit, I am interested in learning it, but definitally not for my main system. What's a good free version to learn on?
Probably SuSE--if you know absolutely nothing about Linux--but it depends on what all you want to learn about the system. If you just want to drop an operating system, with working configurations into your system, probably SuSE would be the best answer. If you want to actually set up your own Linux system entirely from scratch, and experience everything that a Linux system has to offer, then go with either Debian or Gentoo.

I go with Gentoo myself. I like how easy it is to install new programs--it goes online and downloads everything and takes care of all dependencies for you--and Debian probably does this as well. This is not something that I found as easy to do in a SuSE or a Redhat environment. I'm not too sure how good Gentoo will work on laptops, though...
Old 1st December 2003, 21:48   #92
xzxzzx
Forum King

Personally, as far as a Linux choice, I would go for Gentoo. But Gentoo is relatively hard to install, and you really kind of need to know quite a bit about partitions, etc, or be able to follow instructions well.

If you don't want to try and tackle Gentoo (see http://gentoo.org for the installation instructions), then go for Debian. My 2c.

Old 2nd December 2003, 10:44   #93
Got Mac?

Send a message via AIM to Got Mac? Send a message via Yahoo to Got Mac?
Windows vs Linux.... vs OSX !!!!!!!!

About windows...

Quote:
At least its original and not a rip off from Apple!
I mean c'mon people, the Gator has done nothing but steal from Apple, why steal from them we ask...

the answer is simple...

MAC OS X is are FAR SUPERIOR to ANYTHING, so far I have been crash free (except for that time I ran Unreal Tournament in OS X and Virtual PC to see if I could... I was less than successful.) And I am loving avery minute of it, but as I was saying.

A long long time ago, in a valley far far away...

Xerox asks Steve Jobs to work on their GUI.
Later, Steve Jobs releases MAC OS, which considering the OS for 'Lisa' is well I big step up.
GRANTED - Steve was an Idiot for not getting a patent on the GUI, despite warnings from the Gator.
Billy the Gator blatantly makes a copy of MAC OS, calls it Winblows (ok so I changed the name a little).
To make a long story short, If I were to to make a copy of the Mona Lisa, no matter how many people buy a printout of my Mona, compared to how many people buy the Real Mona, the Real Mona Lisa is at least thousand times better....

THE SAME IS TRUE FOR MAC OS...
The Passage of Time has not dulled the OS any...
ONLY MADE IT STRONGER!

THE BOTTOM LINE.
Slow Computers Suck.
Life is short.
Get a Mac.
Got Mac? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2003, 10:51   #94
von-doitch

Re: Windows rulezzz.. Linux sucks

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomas12yrold
Hi all,

Haha Microsoft Critics .... How very stupid for a bunch of guys to criticize Microsoft...

Why do most people in the world have Windows on their computer? Why are 85% of the applications in the world programmed for Windows (let it be Windows 9x, Me, NT, 2k, XP, 2k3 or even Windows Embedded CE)? All applications are first devoloped for Windows and then ported to Linux..

I do agree that Linux and Unix both have stable kernels ... Windows also has a decent kernel.. DECENT..

Wwwwwait a minute... Havent you guys heard of the Windows Longhorn OS.. I'm sure WinFS, Avalon & Indigo of Longhorn can very easily beat up Linux/Unix... Longhorn is 64bit/32bit compatible .. I'm sure capable of ANYTHING Linux or Unix can do.. and a very very much more.. Though I've not checked out the Longhorn ALPHA or else BETA.. I can make out its goin 2 be a rock solid OS ... (I'm already goin through the Programming of a Longhorn App and XAML with Longhorn code in VB .NET, VC# .NET etc. rocks!!

Linux's so-called "Gnome" is no match for Avalon or even for WinXP's GUI

Haha, Linux's CharUI ... blah ...

Newayz I'm 12 years of age and ... going & growing ... I'm almost an MCSD (a lil more exams to go) and doin my MCSE in a few..

reply via mail (preferred) or else reply to this thread
Such minors should be banned from these fourms.

If he was such a pro in knowing unix based systems. he would know its more secure... I can name countless exploits on windows, with buffer overflows, rpc atacks, snmp protocall atacks that its just a joke why they bother to send out service packs..

When he says linux he say all distributions.. last time I check that is not true at all.. Redhat automatic updates there rpm packages, and I does not connect to any server owned by redhat to scan packets like the un-secure windows system.

And so? longhorn in 64 and 32 compatabule, so is windows xp..

If you do know "linux as you so do say". Tell me whats the command line in shell for starting a httpd on redhat 7.3 or 9.0?

P.s come back when your pubes drop.
von-doitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2003, 16:31   #95
discoleo

To the 12 year old boy:

My hardware mp4 player (aka DIVX & XVID) operates on a linux kernel

Not everything is about PCs, so when speaking of Linux, think wider

Now, I'll teach you something about M$ Windoze: a little trick to customize some things not published anywhere else

In this lesson we will make the taskmanager look more friendly and will change the logon window a little bit: instead of the name Taskmanager, he will display a custom text and instead of "Built on NT Technology" we will display a second text.

Firstly, you need to know where this is stored. The logon is actually done by winnt\system32\msgina.dll

You will need to work with the resource hacker. Teach youreself on Astalavista.

Then make a copy of msgina.dll. Open it with resource hacker. Search through the Dialogs till you get the text "Built on <b>NT</b> Technology" (yes, it contains the <b> and </b>, too) and change it to "Built on <b>BULLSHIT</b> Technology". Then search for the dialog which looks like the taskmanger and change the title to "Oxymoron!". When you get to a different dialog, resource hacker automatically asks you to recompile. Select always yes. Save now the file as msgina.new.dll.

Now comes the trick: Windoze protects its system files. We need to circumvent this.

First, it store a copy in \System32\dllcache; delete msgina.dll from there. Don't reboot now (it will copy msgina.dll back).

copy msgina.new.dll to \system32\
When you deleted msgina.dll from \dllcache\, you aren't allowed to delere msgina from \system32\, but SILLY, you can rename it. Rename it to msgina.old.dll; don't reboot, 'cause it won't reboot and you'll need to work with the recovery console (and don't forget the admin psw).
copy msgina.new.dll msgina.dll

If you messed it, it won't reboot, so try again (silly). The above method doesn't work always (it depends on changes you made and probably the SP installed).

IF it did work, now you have a pefect copy of Windoze which will suite all your needs. When you log on it will always remind you about the quality of the product and when you need the Taskmanager it will display a good reminder to the user.
discoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2003, 17:54   #96
zootm
Forum King

ummm... discoleo, what did that serve to prove? other than you can customise windows in a needless and immature way through easy methods that are available to anyone who wants them through a quick google search, of course.

the linux kernel being amalgamated into media-players is neat though. the tivo uses linux too, i think. there's a linux program which essentially turns the box it is run on into an eaily-controlled media-centre - DVDs, CDs, music and video files... it's very cool.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2003, 19:58   #97
00mhenle

virus

Yeah... I'll give that a try. Common though... MAC's the best? I will admit, they are stable... but they definitally have fallen by the wayside in the buisness world. Maybe due to Bill Gates owning a majority in their stock. Is that rumor true? I haven't researched too much into that... I just have heard it from multiple sources.
Old 2nd December 2003, 23:02   #98
teknoeacid

Send a message via AIM to teknoeacid
Ok, stating points that many others have probably already stated;

Most people use windows because they dont wanna learn hard steps(or however you wanna word it)

Your a really stupid jackass. Why are some of the largest computers and THE most powerfull some sort of unix/*nix?

Dumbass, Dumbass, Dumbass, Dumbass.

I have never seeing such an imature post in my life.
My guess is your a young, kid, teenager still in high school.

Ok, I am too. But that does not matter.

*Sigh's with stupidity ringing in his head
teknoeacid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2003, 23:09   #99
teknoeacid

Quote:
ertmannCPH,

Did I even say that Linux doesnt support 64 bit?
Hmmmm.... Gnome's File System seems quite OK....
Yeah right!! Linux is superior to Windows .. NO WAY

You like Linux.... KEEP IT THAT WAY ... Unless you want a 12 year old to show you what your missing ....

There's alot more to me than just being a 12 year old ...
I wish people understood that....

Newayz I like Windows... I program in Windowz, on Windowz and for Windows and I'm goin to keep it that way...

Windows XP doesnt have any weak points ('cept for a lil unstable kernel and some glitches[*]) ... That is if people (well like you) knew how to use it..
[*] -> Yeah Windows does have some holes and bloopers that even i'm not too happy bout but overall WINDOWS ROCKS!
Old 3rd December 2003, 03:49   #100
rpxmaster

Quote:
Originally posted by discoleo
To the 12 year old boy:

My hardware mp4 player (aka DIVX & XVID) operates on a linux kernel

Not everything is about PCs, so when speaking of Linux, think wider

Now, I'll teach you something about M$ Windoze: a little trick to customize some things not published anywhere else

In this lesson we will make the taskmanager look more friendly and will change the logon window a little bit: instead of the name Taskmanager, he will display a custom text and instead of "Built on NT Technology" we will display a second text.

Firstly, you need to know where this is stored. The logon is actually done by winnt\system32\msgina.dll

You will need to work with the resource hacker. Teach youreself on Astalavista.

Then make a copy of msgina.dll. Open it with resource hacker. Search through the Dialogs till you get the text "Built on <b>NT</b> Technology" (yes, it contains the <b> and </b>, too) and change it to "Built on <b>BULLSHIT</b> Technology". Then search for the dialog which looks like the taskmanger and change the title to "Oxymoron!". When you get to a different dialog, resource hacker automatically asks you to recompile. Select always yes. Save now the file as msgina.new.dll.

Now comes the trick: Windoze protects its system files. We need to circumvent this.

First, it store a copy in \System32\dllcache; delete msgina.dll from there. Don't reboot now (it will copy msgina.dll back).

copy msgina.new.dll to \system32\
When you deleted msgina.dll from \dllcache\, you aren't allowed to delere msgina from \system32\, but SILLY, you can rename it. Rename it to msgina.old.dll; don't reboot, 'cause it won't reboot and you'll need to work with the recovery console (and don't forget the admin psw).
copy msgina.new.dll msgina.dll

If you messed it, it won't reboot, so try again (silly). The above method doesn't work always (it depends on changes you made and probably the SP installed).

IF it did work, now you have a pefect copy of Windoze which will suite all your needs. When you log on it will always remind you about the quality of the product and when you need the Taskmanager it will display a good reminder to the user.
Only a 12-year-old will find something like this to be fascinating. Thanks for addressing your post to him, and not any of us adults that posted on this thread.

I want my reply, and I've been waiting about a frickin' half a month for one. High-speed trains sure must travel really slow over there in India.
Old 3rd December 2003, 04:26   #101
corkhead0
Major Dude

He's a troll. Like I said on the first page.

He ain't coming back.
corkhead0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2003, 06:34   #102
WhiteRayven
Major Dude

he came, he stirred up some shit, and he left.

I'd bet he's even been here to watch us all discuss this

Old 3rd December 2003, 07:41   #103
discoleo

Quote:
what did that serve to prove?
Always when a program crashes and the taskmanager makes its way, he'll be reminded about it with the neat message "Moron!"

And at logon, the logon window will display the famous technology which stands behind the product.

Have fun.
discoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2003, 08:30   #104
NJK
The Frisian Spamfighter

Quote:
Originally posted by teknoeacid
I have never seeing such an imature post in my life.
My guess is your a young, kid, teenager still in high school.

no don't think so

my guess it's an alter ego for one of the other forum members
or second option it's somebody from the "friendly" neighbours at the S....... forums just having a laugh here.

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2003, 08:53   #105
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

Man, i haven't seen a good ol' Winamp vs Sonique war for ages...
ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2003, 09:22   #106
NJK
The Frisian Spamfighter

Quote:
Originally posted by ertmann|CPH
Man, i haven't seen a good ol' Winamp vs Sonique war for ages...
hope I never have to see it at all

visited once as a guest for only 3 minuts to find that it's not the place I want to be.

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2003, 16:49   #107
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

[insert random useless comment here]

ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2003, 20:19   #108
dmd3x

Quote:
Originally posted by teknoeacid
Your a really stupid jackass. Why are some of the largest computers and THE most powerfull some sort of unix/*nix?
I know what you're saying. The Google search engine (which is arguably the backbone of the internet today) runs on Linux.
dmd3x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2003, 06:35   #109
ethanl

All this discussion about Windows vs. Linux has been very fascinating! Unfortunately, it seems too many people have an opinion of Linux, without ever having earned the right to an opinion. Don't criticize it if you've never used it. And by "use" I mean you have to have actually worked with it, in a working Linux environment for long enough to know some of its quirks and intricacies.

I have used Microsoft products for as long as I've used computers, and my first experience was with DOS 3, if I remember correctly. Anyway, I saw how they ripped Windows off from Macintosh, and I thought they did a mighty poor job of imitation, and they never did quite catch up, either. But Windows had one thing to its merit: It ran on cheap hardware, and has always been rather cheap to procure, compared to most other commercial OSes.

Windows is good for people who don't want to have to do much thinking to use their computer, and are willing to sacrifice freedom and stability for the sake of convenience. Also for some people, there is no choice. They need to use software to do a special task, and there isn't any alternative, since that software only operates under Windows. The same goes for Windows-only hardware in some cases.

Linux, on the other hand, has all the advantage on price (you can't beat free!) and the same goes with freedom. You can customize to your heart's content, limited only by your own imagination and willingness to learn. This surely cannot be said for Windows. Linux also has the advantage of stability. I've read in this thread how some people had trouble with Linux, and think it's unstable. The trouble is not with Linux, it's either with your hardware, or it's the way you installed it or messed it up after install - or, and this is always a possibility, you have a bad, buggy distribution. If you're using the default install of a good, mainline distro, and are still having trouble, look at your hardware. I have had Linux crash a few times over the last five years, but every time it was due to hardware problems. Actually, only two problems: buggy AGP chipset (prevented by using non-aggressive video drivers) and a bad IDE connector, resulting in filesystem corruption. If it hadn't been for those two problems, I wouldn't have had a single crash. I know there are people who have been running their Linux systems continuously, without a single reboot, for over 1000 days. Some people run Linux based servers, and only reboot them once every two years or so when they install a new version of the Linux kernel. Hear that, Windows users? One reboot every two years! Ha!

Anyway, I run Linux on my desktop, and even though I have Win98 on one partition and can boot into it whenever I want, I find I only boot it up a couple times a year for some special purpose, such as when I recently installed a software-based modem and had to download the Linux drivers. So Windows sometimes comes in handy for bootstrapping poorly-supported hardware.

I probably will never use WinXP or higher, unless someone gives me a computer with it installed, or a no-activation version of WinXP. Microsoft has no business tying their software to my hardware (hear that, MY hardware) and therefore I cannot accept their license. Oh well, it's no big loss!

Sorry to have taken so long, but I thought it needed to be said.

Now, I must say, while I have no trouble believing a 12 year old kid could get the things our young Thomas claims to have gotten regarding MS certification, I don't believe that he knows exactly what he's criticizing, as his experience is too limited. I think he says what he says out of ignorance and typical juvenile high-spiritedness, and I think enough has been said to convince him, or at least scare him off! I won't add any more.
ethanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2003, 15:04   #110
Thomas12yrold

Send a message via Yahoo to Thomas12yrold
Well .. well..
I'm in demand HEHE
First of all sorry for the impunctuality....
Yeah Linux is more stable WHATEVER
I do agree that it is more customizable but when it comes to stability it matches Windows
Look when I speak about stability amean the overall performance
Yeah I know ... Windows does have holes, RPC Termination bugs (the Blaster Worm) etc.
They are BIG flaws and also very widespread... but does it cause any data loss? .. NO!
It even allows you a minute to save files etc. then reboot and patch it up..
Then there are BSODs (Blue Screens of Death)...
If you have XP Compatible H/W & S/W then this isn't goin to affect you...
If Windows is set up with compatible H/W & S/W, a good configuration ... then it is a dream......
When I refer to "good configuration" i mean sumthin like ..... :
* a P4 atleast 2 GHz (better off with 2.4 GHz and above with HT)
* bout 512 MB RAM
* a compatible BIOS
Thats enough for XP to run stably

I have kept up Windows 2000 Servers and Advanced Servers up and running for 2 weeks (before our UPSs were drained cuz of power downs)

I'm waitin for replies and I remember a post I got umm yeah...
Linux is runnin on your MP4 player so can Windows CE (if you've heard of it)

ummm what can I say for a Post Script.....?

YEAH

PS: I love attention :P :P JOKIN
Thomas12yrold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2003, 15:25   #111
xzxzzx
Forum King

Ooh, Thomas is back.

Oh wow. 2 Weeks. That's amazing. Not like the >1 month uptime of my POS linux box (which was also due to power, it had gone >3 months before that - in fact, it's never crashed). Nah, that's nothing, compared to the amazing stability of "Windows 2000 Advanced Server".

Did the blaster worm cause any data loss? Yes, tons, though not directly. Though it could have (it did, in fact, get total administrative control over the PC), if any payload was attached.

Stability has nothing to do with performance, and even in that arena, Linux usually has Windows beat again. My PII 400 w/ Apache and Linux based software can probably do more than that P4 you talked about.

So if Linux is MORE customizable, and at LEAST as stable, and clearly FAR cheaper, and has NO "blaster worms", why would you run Windows for a Server?

Old 8th December 2003, 16:03   #112
WhiteRayven
Major Dude

Ok, compatabilty, I just installed linux on my computer, not a single problem. I used redhat8, and it had all the proper drivers to run on my system. (its still there dual booted) as for sys req's. Hows this. How many os's can be isntalled on a 200MB DOS partition on a p200mhz with 32mb RAM? And still be fast? I know that with XP you need at least a 4 gig drive for it to be cumfy. BTW, slack nix will do 200mb dos partitions. And correct me if I am wrong, but linux can run on any kind of partition, WinXP cant. Its Fat32 or NTFS thats your only real options.

And the only security exploit I have heard of in linux, you already have to be a user on the system in order to implement the hack.

And from demonstrations I have seen, I can honestly believe that linux is virtually un hackable. Not to mention that most people dont want to hack linux because its free and open source. And that takes all the fun out of it.

Old 8th December 2003, 16:11   #113
rpxmaster

Quote:
* bout 512 MB RAM
* a compatible BIOS
Wow...that's exactly what my Gentoo Linux box runs on. Whatever a "good configuration" is for Windoze XP sure is a helluvalot of overkill on my system.
Old 8th December 2003, 16:48   #114
zetafunction

Obviously, other people have already responded. Too bad if this is redundant.

Puh-lease. The Windows bugs don't cause any data loss? You've never heard of a Windows virus worm/trojan that destroys data? I'd say you're a little out of things...

Whoo-hoo. Great for that INCREDIBLE 2 week uptime. May I introduce you to a variety of *nix systems that have been running continuously for months or even years? It's no problem at all for me to hit 2 months uptime on a Linux box... whereas, despite everything Microsoft says, my XP box has trouble lasting a few weeks before problems crop up. And before you try to tell me I'm doing something wrong... let's just say I don't think so. It's improved a *LOT*--that doesn't mean it's good.

As for a "decent computer", those are ridiculous stats. What would have happened to those people who were using XP two years ago? Are you saying the hardware wasn't ready for XP when it was released?

What does stability have to do with performance? About nothing. And Windows is certainly still lacking in performance... go ahead... if you want, you can look at the MS sponsored benchmarks to make yourself happy. It's simply not the truth, though, because of extremely biased testing methods. It lacks a good (read: fast) method for doing non-blocking IO, whereas Linux has SIGPOLL. And if Windows is so great for performance and such, why have I not really heard of Windows beowulf clusters being used for scientific computing? Hmm?

Finally, why the heck would anyone want to run WindowsCE on a MP3 player? Just look at handheld computing--Windows CE based devices last... what, 20 hours? Palm OS based devices can last... a month.

Note to WhiteRayven:
Linux is not virtually "unhackable". Ever look at bugtraq? Or how about the recent compromises of a Debian server by a kernel brk() exploit, or the Gentoo server that got compromised through rsync?

Quote:
Well .. well..
I'm in demand HEHE
First of all sorry for the impunctuality....
Yeah Linux is more stable WHATEVER
I do agree that it is more customizable but when it comes to stability it matches Windows
Look when I speak about stability amean the overall performance
Yeah I know ... Windows does have holes, RPC Termination bugs (the Blaster Worm) etc.
They are BIG flaws and also very widespread... but does it cause any data loss? .. NO!
It even allows you a minute to save files etc. then reboot and patch it up..
Then there are BSODs (Blue Screens of Death)...
If you have XP Compatible H/W & S/W then this isn't goin to affect you...
If Windows is set up with compatible H/W & S/W, a good configuration ... then it is a dream......
* bout 512 MB RAM
* a compatible BIOS

I have kept up Windows 2000 Servers and Advanced Servers up and running for 2 weeks (before our UPSs were drained cuz of power downs)

I'm waitin for replies and I remember a post I got umm yeah...
Linux is runnin on your MP4 player so can Windows CE (if you've heard of it)

ummm what can I say for a Post Script.....?

YEAH

PS: I love attention :P :P JOKIN
zetafunction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2003, 18:59   #115
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by WhiteRayven
And the only security exploit I have heard of in linux, you already have to be a user on the system in order to implement the hack.

And from demonstrations I have seen, I can honestly believe that linux is virtually un hackable. Not to mention that most people dont want to hack linux because its free and open source. And that takes all the fun out of it.
No, it's not "unhackable". And there are sometimes exploits for getting root without a user, though it's almost always "use a bug to get user, use a bug to get root". But it's damn more secure than Windows, and if you've got a competant administrator, *nearly* unhackable. The only machines that have survived these "Openhack" competitions have been Linux machines, as far as I know.

Old 9th December 2003, 01:23   #116
teknoeacid

Please just let this damn thread die.

No matter what this thomas kid says,
we have already convinced him.

Leave it at that.
Old 9th December 2003, 04:24   #117
WhiteRayven
Major Dude

BTW, as of today, I have that p200, set up with winXP/slack9 dual boot, running as my own personalt web server. Sooner or later I will start mirroring some copies, Like the next rc build we get. I am assuming that will happen b4 it goes finnal.

Old 9th December 2003, 06:00   #118
Potato

I guess ill toss in my two cents. thomas (whatever/whoever) is not who he claims to be because any normal person would have had a few things to say about people callin him a fake and a liar. anyway, whatever, whatever.

I've been using MS products since DOS 3.0. DOS was a good os for what it was. I've used all versions of windows, XP has the best kernel I have ever worked with on a MS system, and yes everyone knows MS ripped Apple off. Now on to the good stuff.

Now, I have been working with computers for about 15 years (since my commodore 64), I also have a degree in Computer Electronics, and I couldn't get Slackware installed (this is a few years back), I eventually *ahem* downloaded *ahem* a copy of Linux Mandrake 7.0. I really liked it. It was cool, but I quickly ran into the same problem that Mac has, application development. Not enough of it. Unix/Linux are programmers language operating systems. And I'm no programmer, I've dabbled, but no, so I cant be writing my own stuff either. All my games are ported for windows, and the new ones coming out too. Yes I've heard of things like wine, but my experience with emulators in general is that they are usually a nightmare to begin with, then if you dont know what the hell your doing in the OS your gonna be fucked. So really if I want to play games, I'm stuck with Windows. Unless they start porting them to Linux. Mandrake is really making a hard push to the desktop market. I saw today on thier website they have ver 9.2 for the desktop, and its only $39 US. That aint bad. Cause I have already decided that when they come out with that TCPA (Trusted Computer whatever whatever) that I'm going to linux. Its already in Windows server 2003, and I'm sure Longhorn will have it. And I read someones post (I'm too lazy to quote) that said they will have a crack for it before the OS ships. Well you need to read up on it. I read a fatty ol page on a anti-TCPA site. They are working with hardware manufacturers to install what they call a frizz chip. Hardware hashes to the OS then the OS hashes to the application then the application hashes to the internet to retrive the key. All hashes must match, and its all in 512 bit encryption. Think I'll start a link on it. anyway thats my crazy ramblings. I'll stop now.
Potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2003, 16:07   #119
WhiteRayven
Major Dude

Uhh, Ok, you can get MOST versions of linux are free.

And that hashing from hardware to the os to the net, is crap, it will never happen... What about the people who dont have the internet? And even if somone does make that happen. Some uber smart hacker will have decomplied the os and written a crack for it. Plain and simple you cant beat piracy.

Old 9th December 2003, 17:34   #120
xzxzzx
Forum King

Potato: Your facts are incorrect.
For example, 512 bit public key cryptography is not very strong at all.
And for many other reasons already discussed in other, more on-topic threads, TCPA will never take hold.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News