Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support

Old 28th February 2004, 03:49   #41
CastleMusic

Send a message via AIM to CastleMusic

I am a newbie here with shoutcast. I am using SAM2 as my setup. I am connecting to the internet using my ip My shoutcast serve says I am touching YP but when I do a search for my name Castle Music I can not find it. Am I doing something wrong?
-Rev Lewis Engle

Castle Music
Quote:
If I was so smart yeasterday, why am I so dumb today
CastleMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2004, 06:03   #42
PenaltyShot

Hello moderators,

I am an infrequent visitor to this forum. You know, I just came here to see if there happened to be any posts related to why I suddenly could not connect to nearly all Shoutcast stations (unless I went to the station's site itself and tuned in).

It's not the end of the world. I'll live. I fully realize this is a free service, and that the moderators are volunteers. No big deal. I simply came here to see if there was any news related to the problem, which I'm sure were the pure intentions of the vast majority of the people in this thread.

But since the moderators automatically treat every innocent inquiry as a "complaint" (the words "complaint" and "complaining" permeate nearly every post you make to the user community), well guess what? Now I AM complaining. I am complaining about the fact that in order to simply find out what is happening (more out of curiosity than out of any sort of urgency -- I mean, it's just free Net radio after all), I have to sift through the 'tude first to get to the information. The useful news gets buried in a morass of nasty, confrontational language, when none was warranted, as far as I can tell. Nice way to start a thread. Nice way to make an official announcement to the community.

Also, the "technical shorthand" style leaves something to be desired. I don't even know what a YP or a DNAS is -- and I really don't wish to read through all of the Shoutcast technical documents to find out. (I'm just a listener; I don't care about how it works.) I surmised that YP has something to do with the fact that the Shoutcast playlists are coming up empty, and that DNAS is a protocol or at least has something to do with the fact that I can still connect directly to some streams. But I think it would be beneficial for the BOTH of us if this sort of information could be given in more of a layman's fashion -- and then perhaps a bit of technical info for the webcasters and for those listeners that are more sophisticated.

Is this too much to ask of a volunteer for a free service? I really don't think so. It's not anything extra from what you are doing currently. It's just a different approach to it, that's all. One without the chip on the shoulder.

I don't know; maybe you have seen too many posts from teenage punks writing in with things like "WTF iz wrong with ur servers?! Fix it now!" But from what I have seen, most people are like me: After trying to troubleshoot the problem themselves from the client level, they simply want to see if something is going on at your end of things. That's it. Not something to get all worked up and poison-penned about, you know?

Thanks.
PenaltyShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2004, 08:00   #43
Calcutta

yp-coffee

I HAVE TO BUY MORE COFFEE.........

HITMUSICONLY
Calcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2004, 08:27   #44
sm_erf

OK - I'm a newbie as well. So as far I can see - here is the SOLUTION for those other non technies who want to listen NOW.

Basically, WINAMP can still see the directory of radio stations (like a yellow pages(, but the system that says right you want that radio station, here's the streaming site, is not working properly - this is a server that is not part of Winamp.

However you can still listen. The quickest way I've found is to go the Radio directory in Winamp and note the name of the radio station. Enter it into Google (e.g there's a station called CHILLOUT @ www.radiomax.hu - 256bit) so just type radiomax - and the direct link to the station's web page should come up. click on that and have a look in the site - click on the relevant button - in Radiomax's case its just a '128K' button and voila - winamps cranks up the music and starts streaming!

Hope this helps.

Sm_erf
sm_erf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2004, 08:29   #45
sm_erf

thank heaven I can now listen to Soma FM Groove Salad again!

Chilled once more!
sm_erf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2004, 10:59   #46
Jay
Moderator Alumni

I don't think anyone was treating this as a complaint. It's just the best thing to do when the yp has issues. There is no "workaround", it simply needs to be fixed. Hince the whole coffee thing, I always considered it a joke. Obviously some feel that it's an attack.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2004, 13:16   #47
Smuggl3r

nothing works this sucks and it looks like I'm supposed to be blaming AOL
Smuggl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2004, 14:23   #48
PenaltyShot

Quote:
Originally posted by KXRM
I don't think anyone was treating this as a complaint.
Uh huh. Then I suppose you would like to explain some of your previous posts, including this one on page 1 of this thread:

Quote:
the fact is you complain about a free service to volunteers, if Nullsoft doesn't want to give answers then there is nothing we can do about it. If we ignore the millions of threads being created then complaints come in about being ignored. So take your pick.
...or perhaps the post first made here by the thread-starter Festerhead: "Deal with it...Getting upset at me is stupid." -- which of course carries the implicit message that we are complaining to him about it.

I saw nothing of the sort in any of the posts about the problem. The posters were very civil -- except for the nasty smart-ass attitudes of the moderators, that is.

Quote:
It's just the best thing to do when the yp has issues. There is no "workaround", it simply needs to be fixed.
Yes, I agree that the best thing to do when the yp has issues is to tell the user community that it has issues and that it needs to fixed. So...simply tell us that, in a professional manner. That means doing it without the smart-ass crap that goes along with those announcements.

Quote:
Hince the whole coffee thing, I always considered it a joke. Obviously some feel that it's an attack.
The coffee algorithm thing wasn't the issue here. I recognized that as an obvious joke. The rest of the comments were the issue.

Anyway, glad to see the problem is being worked on, and I will patiently wait for it to be resolved, and an announcement of the resolution to be given to the community in a more acceptable manner.

Thank you.
PenaltyShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2004, 14:31   #49
jazz699

hey smerf thx for the easy workaround....
jazz699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2004, 14:32   #50
jbakerutexas

Quote:
Originally posted by sm_erf
thank heaven I can now listen to Soma FM Groove Salad again!

Chilled once more!
no kidding, ive got a raging hangover and i need my drone zone.

*prays to gods of hardware to get this issue resolved*
jbakerutexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2004, 15:16   #51
peppert
UID 0

All:

We've managed to convince them that the host didn't have FDDI attached. They tried to restore off tape, and apparently now they think the host was supposed to have an array attached to it. *sigh* *bonk bonk bonk*

So, we yelled, they're attempting to restore. again.

The reason the db isn't working right now is it's missing the script which caches the entries out of the physical list of stations into the list that's actually presented to people who want to listen. It appears to be desynched enough that if it's not back in a couple of hours I'll rewrite one from scratch to help alleviate the problem.

Again, apologies to all for the incompetence and inattention of some people upstairs here. It's frustrating for all of us.
peppert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2004, 19:45   #52
A Ham Sandwich

I don't understand all of this Winamp techno mumbo jumbo. I'm not a Winamp geek, can anyone tell me what's wrong without using cryptic acronyms? I just want to listen to Winamp Radio.

And I don't mean to step on anyone's toes. I was linked to this thread by a mod. I can tell everyone's a little by some of the replies in this thread. Sorry.
A Ham Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2004, 21:07   #53
peppert
UID 0

Okay things should be limping along for now. We're down to one database host instead of 3 but listening and yp links should sync up every 15 minutes now, which is about all the CPU I can lend to the update task without expecting the whole mess to keel over dead.

Hopefully we'll be back to 100% next week.
Old 28th February 2004, 22:25   #54
Geri@ric

Hello chaps and chappesses,
Here in jolly old England we are missing the wonderful win amp wireless service too. Can see you fellows are having a spot of bother with your acronyms. Van Morrison has just turned into a pneumatic drill on the shoutcast stream I managed to tune into after having no bally luck at all on the old YP thingy. Uninstalled and re-installed several versions of your gramophone to try to resolve the problem am now down to version 3 after starting with 5.2 thinking I might be giving my computer too much to deal with. So relieved to find the rest of the world is having problems too. (Aha! Van Morrison is back!)
Seriously though folks. I think Win Amp is absobloodylutely fab. Hope you get it fixed soon. Good luck! Tally Ho! Chin chin!
Geri@ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2004, 22:41   #55
floatingzendo2

more of the same...

okay, i came home and found that after some 2 months of uninterrupted play, winamp suddenly wasn't playing streaming audio anymore. was working fine and uninterrupted 3 hours earlier. okay, no prob, access shoutcast, doesn't work. okay, access the radiostation URL, still nothing. okay, maybe i should update winamp. uninstall, installed v5.02. still nothing. notice that there aren't really any mod responses to this prob. on here, and apparently only a few of us can't play streaming audio through winamp even after going directly to the radio station? and yes, i set file associations for winamp for .pls, etc. anything? and thanks for your continued patience and hard work in the face of angry techno-junkies. i like getting the occasional smart-ass answer; it helps remind me why i don't do tech for a living extraordinarily complicated, with little appreciation. well, you have mine!
floatingzendo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2004, 01:21   #56
ravetrax
Major Dude

Location: Clearwater, FL ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ My name is Rava www.ravetrax.com
Send a message via ICQ to ravetrax Send a message via AIM to ravetrax Send a message via Yahoo to ravetrax
http://www.shoutcast.com/directory/?...x&numresult=25

Clustering is not working and YP is not updateing.

I am not complaining, just letting everyone know.

Sincerely,
Rava

Echo34 - A music related irc network for the socially challenged. [ website | chat now ]

Stream Solutions - The next level of Shoutcast server hosting! [ website | forums ]

RaveTrax - Its not a state of mind, Its a way of life. [ website | forums | chatroom ]
» Gen2 A/V Streams - NSV Video [vp6.2 & 64k aacPlus v2] - 64k aacPlus v2 - 24k aacPlus v2
» AMPX Player - Web based player that plays ALL streams! [Audio & Audio/Video]
» Other Streams - 160k MP3 - 64k MP3 - 24k MP3
ravetrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2004, 02:35   #57
Jay
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by PenaltyShot
Uh huh. Then I suppose you would like to explain some of your previous posts, including this one on page 1 of this thread:

...or perhaps the post first made here by the thread-starter Festerhead: "Deal with it...Getting upset at me is stupid." -- which of course carries the implicit message that we are complaining to him about it.

That was in response to some people flying off the handle (DamnGood for one), yes we fly off the handle if you spur us on to. I can't speak for fester but I do believe that he was recieving complaints via pm about this issue as if we can go flip a switch. Context is important here. If you have further problems with me or fester take it up with other moderators or admins they will remove us if they agree, or better yet take it up with the moderator in question via PM, i am not going to reply any longer to this matter in this thread.
Old 29th February 2004, 03:22   #58
floatingzendo2

yet more

hey, don't get dejected... you're doing good things, and for mostly good people.. remember? :)
floatingzendo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2004, 06:56   #59
Calcutta

yp

:start <-
:check coffee <-
if (coffee=0) {Buy Coffee} <-
:make coffee
:drink cofee
if coffee empty, goto :start
check yp
:if yp still broken, goto
your neighbour and ask for coffee......

THX PEPPERT AND FENSTERHEAD FOR THE INFO-KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK

HITMUSICONLY
Calcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2004, 18:21   #60
ender1598

I think a lot of misunderstanding and complaints could be cleared up if there was some sort of notice on the main shoutcast page telling everyone that we're currently having technical difficulties. I tried "fixing" my problems and when nothing worked I eventually made it to the forums to see if it was just me or what. Thankfully, some helpful and informative posts started showing up on the second page of this thread. But it would be appriciated if there could be even just a one-liner in bold on the main page telling us not to expect optimal conditions. Just a thought though.
ender1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2004, 01:43   #61
protegechris
Forum Queen

Well crap. Down again. People are having trouble getting on now too...

code:
Event log:
<02/29/04@19:12:18> [SHOUTcast] DNAS/win32 v1.9.2 (Nov 25 2002) starting up...
<02/29/04@19:12:18> [main] loaded config from E:\Program Files\SHOUTcast\sc_serv.ini
<02/29/04@19:12:18> [main] initializing (usermax:6 portbase:8000)...
<02/29/04@19:12:18> [main] No ban file found (sc_serv.ban)
<02/29/04@19:12:18> [main] No rip file found (sc_serv.rip)
<02/29/04@19:12:18> [main] opening source socket
<02/29/04@19:12:18> [main] source thread starting
<02/29/04@19:12:18> [main] opening client socket
<02/29/04@19:12:18> [main] Client Stream thread [0] starting
<02/29/04@19:12:18> [main] client main thread starting
<02/29/04@19:12:18> [source] listening for connection on port 8001
<02/29/04@19:12:41> [source] connected from 127.0.0.1
<02/29/04@19:12:41> [source] icy-name:Bands Thriving On Fans Radio ; icy-genre:Unsigned/Indie Rock
<02/29/04@19:12:41> [source] icy-pub:1 ; icy-br:24 ; icy-url:HTTP://66.55.236.196:8000/listen.pls
<02/29/04@19:12:41> [source] icy-irc:#BTOF_Radio ; icy-icq:None ; icy-aimrotegechris
<02/29/04@19:12:42> [dest: 205.188.234.74] starting stream (UID: 0)[L: 1]{A: SHOUTcast Directory Tester}(P: 0)
<02/29/04@19:12:43> [dest: 205.188.234.74] connection closed (0 seconds) (UID: 0)[L: 0]{Bytes: 8192}(P: 0)
<02/29/04@19:12:44> [yp_add] yp.shoutcast.com gave invalid id
<02/29/04@19:12:46> [dest: 205.188.234.73] starting stream (UID: 1)[L: 1]{A: SHOUTcast Directory Tester}(P: 0)
<02/29/04@19:12:46> [dest: 205.188.234.73] connection closed (0 seconds) (UID: 1)[L: 0]{Bytes: 8192}(P: 0)
<02/29/04@20:33:03> [yp_tch] yp.shoutcast.com touched!
<02/29/04@20:41:23> [dest: 209.30.241.202] starting stream (UID: 2)[L: 1]{A: WinampMPEG/5.0}(P: 0)
<02/29/04@20:41:35> [dest: 209.30.241.202] connection closed (11 seconds) (UID: 2)[L: 0]{Bytes: 81920}(P: 0)
<02/29/04@20:41:38> [dest: 207.195.35.4] starting stream (UID: 3)[L: 1]{A: NSPlayer/9.0.0.2980 WMFSDK/9.0}(P: 0)
<02/29/04@20:41:40> [dest: 207.195.35.4] connection closed (3 seconds) (UID: 3)[L: 0]{Bytes: 8192}(P: 0)
<02/29/04@20:41:40> [dest: 207.195.35.4] starting stream (UID: 4)[L: 1]{A: NSPlayer/9.0.0.2980 WMFSDK/9.0}(P: 0)
<02/29/04@20:43:06> [yp_tch] yp.shoutcast.com gave error (nak)
<02/29/04@20:43:06> [yp_tch] yp.shoutcast.com gave extended error (100)

yeah, i'm back.
protegechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2004, 01:48   #62
ravetrax
Major Dude

Location: Clearwater, FL ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ My name is Rava www.ravetrax.com
Send a message via ICQ to ravetrax Send a message via AIM to ravetrax Send a message via Yahoo to ravetrax
Just an update...

-------------------------------------------

Unable to connect to Winamp DB server
MySQL Error: 1040 Too many connections
Session halted.Unable to connect to Winamp DB server
MySQL Error: 1040 Too many connections
Session halted.

Echo34 - A music related irc network for the socially challenged. [ website | chat now ]

Stream Solutions - The next level of Shoutcast server hosting! [ website | forums ]

RaveTrax - Its not a state of mind, Its a way of life. [ website | forums | chatroom ]
» Gen2 A/V Streams - NSV Video [vp6.2 & 64k aacPlus v2] - 64k aacPlus v2 - 24k aacPlus v2
» AMPX Player - Web based player that plays ALL streams! [Audio & Audio/Video]
» Other Streams - 160k MP3 - 64k MP3 - 24k MP3
ravetrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2004, 06:01   #63
jslmg

Yep, YP just went down

Yep, it just went down not even 5 minutes ago

Strange thing is, I'd just started brewing a fresh pot of coffee right before the crash

Fate? Could be the coffee algorithm has a cosmic origin
jslmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2004, 06:56   #64
EFF_HaRt

Send a message via ICQ to EFF_HaRt Send a message via Yahoo to EFF_HaRt
From a noob perspective can someone answer one question? You can cuss me out, call me names make fun of me all you want , just get me an answer. LOL. I have a station that sounds great and if you use this , http://69.44.157.142:8000/listen.pls ,all is well. My question is cuz this db that is down is that the reason my listeners see the same song even tho the song changes? Everyone says the music is commin in great but the song titles are not changing. By the way i had no i dea that all this was done by volunteers. Just wanted to say that without volunteers most of our nations wouldnt exist. I'm in the military ( volunteered for life). Thx guys.
EFF_HaRt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2004, 07:30   #65
jslmg

EFF HaRt: YP and streams are completely independent

Basically, your SC server is an independent entity. The SHOUTcast directory is nothing but a LIST of stations and links to their websites and streams. That is all. SHOUTcast has no control over our streams themselves.

They could ban a station from their LIST, but in no way does any breakdown or action at SHOUTcast affect our streams.

The only problem with all this, really, is that about half of all listeners only know how to access their favorite stations through the SHOUTcast listing. They either don't know about putting stations in their "Favorites" or just haven't bothered to do so. Many of them probably don't understand that our broadcasts continue with or without the SC directory.

After you build up an audience, you may see about half your usual numbers, even if the directory is down. So, if you're used to seeing 40 listeners, you may only see 20 during an SC YP crash.

As to why the song doesn't change in the directory, well, that too is a function of the directory. The directory is simply stuck where it was before the latest crash.

Of course, right now, the directory doesn't even exist....

By the way, I just had a mighty fine cup of coffee! I think I'll get another....
Old 1st March 2004, 07:55   #66
EFF_HaRt

kewl .. thx man.

:start another pot of coffe
:drink coffe
Old 1st March 2004, 08:05   #67
EFF_HaRt

Thx for the explanation man. I think i will have some coffee as well.
Old 1st March 2004, 08:08   #68
EFF_HaRt

So basically when all is up and runnin 100% the song titles should change as norm?
Old 1st March 2004, 08:27   #69
jslmg

Quote:
So basically when all is up and runnin 100% the song titles should change as norm?
Absolutely!

I read somewhere in these forums that they're running the database off one harddrive instead of something like 3 ( I don't know how many they usually have, but whatever they're running now, it's a lot less than usual).

This makes their system very slow.

Our servers here used to "touch" the directory every 3 minutes, but now it's every 10 mins. So that means the song listed will only change every 10 minutes too, for as long as the problem continues.

Coffee is the best remedy whenever any computer system breaks down. Unless you're the one who knows how to fix it.
Old 1st March 2004, 08:31   #70
peppert
UID 0

update:

host still not restored. they're not telling me what the problem is, so I don't have an ETA.

I've spent the whole weekend so far working on optimizing the traffic to shoutcast such that features like clusters will continue to operate and the whole mess won't go down in flames when load ramps up in a few hours.

Status is:

Tune-ins OK
YP touches 3m intervals
Statistics Down
Clustering OK - Ultravox support not guaranteed

Also, permanence of the relay_num (rn) value should be better moving forward, especially for clusters. Unfortunately there is currently a (very) small chance multiple stations will get the same rn value -- someone trying to tune into a station that is or has been a cluster might end up on someone else's station, or full stations may redirect someplace that isn't actually a backup. I'm working on it.

-t
Old 1st March 2004, 08:36   #71
jslmg

Tom's a hero!

Man, when they finally give out Nobel prizes for Internet Broadcasting, you'll get it!

Thanks, Tom
Old 1st March 2004, 10:55   #72
PJ-CH

Clustering

Hi
I have a main server (80 cc) and two relays. Relay1 (200 cc) is picking up the signal from main-server, Relay2 (200cc) is picking up signal from Relay1. Status of all servers is online and public.
On the shoutcast-directory I see main server is listed (80cc) and seperately listed underneath Relay1 (200cc). I cannot see Relay2 (200cc) listed at all. I look at other stations where clustering is working and all servers displayed in one position.

Question: Do I have to disconnect any of the servers and reconnect again so that clustering is showing properly or will this be done automatically as soon as YP is back to 100% functionality? Do I have to do anything else to get all servers listed in one posistion and clustered correctly?

Appreciate a helpful answer to that.
Patrik
www.SwissGroove.ch
http://www.shoutcast.com/directory/i...l?sgenre=Mixed
PJ-CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2004, 11:12   #73
jslmg

Clustering, un-clustering, and re-clustering

Quote:
Do I have to disconnect any of the servers and reconnect again so that clustering is showing properly or will this be done automatically as soon as YP is back to 100% functionality? Do I have to do anything else to get all servers listed in one posistion and clustered correctly?
I'll ask our resident clustering expert here, but I can tell you now that what he does is restart all his servers to get them clustered again.

SHOUTcast is supposed to cluster automatically--it's a function of the YP. But with these problems, it might not be doing it automatically.

Now, I imagine a there's a trick to doing this right, so I'll tell you more after I talk to Rafael, the guy who's clustering his servers.

Old 1st March 2004, 11:35   #74
Acontios

There is still a problem presently.
Not complaining, anyway, just noticing:

2 servers on my 8-servers cluster appears on the directory listing... making them being full all time long... whereas there are more than 1000 slots available elsewhere ;-)
Acontios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2004, 12:27   #75
jslmg

From our resident clusterer:

After a YP crash, you will have to restart all servers to get them clustering. However, yesterday even that didn't work, because clustering in general was down.

Today, though, if you restart all servers, they should cluster.

Better do it quick! Nobody knows how long YP will be up.

Coffee should help, as well.
Old 1st March 2004, 15:24   #76
protegechris
Forum Queen

thanks for the information, jslmg!

yeah, i'm back.
protegechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2004, 16:33   #77
waringm

Thanks for the explanations about SC. It makes a lot more sense to me now.
waringm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2004, 16:44   #78
PJ-CH

Thanks, jslmg, I am going to restart the servers at a later moment...hope it'll work for me, too...
PJ-CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2004, 17:57   #79
FusionAddict

Problem with direct-connecting...

...is that not everyone uses WinAmp, RealPlayer, MusicMatch or other programs to listen to the stations. For example, players of the 3D realm THERE can use ingame Jukeboxes, Stereos, Boomboxes, and PA Systems to tune in to Shoutcast stations operating inworld using Shoutcast.com's "tune in" buttons. Since the web site is broken, and the jukes do not support direct-connecting to streams, all our sound systems are broken.
FusionAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2004, 20:43   #80
Jay
Moderator Alumni

well that would be against tos anyways so it's not a valid issue. Unless these developers have actually gotten a SHOUTcast.com license.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support