Old 7th December 2004, 01:46   #1
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
Republicans thank the Christian voters

How long did it take Republicans to write their thank-you note to the Christian right? About five minutes. On November 21, Congress passed a $388 billion spending bill that permits any health provider -- not just doctors and nurses, who can already opt out in forty-five states, but health insurers, HMOs, public or private hospitals, clinics, *******ists -- to refuse to be involved in abortion, up to and including informing a woman where to get one. Your employer can now deny you abortion coverage! Coming up soon: the Child Custody Protection Act, which would make it illegal for anyone but a parent or guardian to take an underage girl across state lines for an abortion, thus making parental notification and consent laws impossible to get around; the grotesque Unborn Child Pain Awareness Act, which would require doctors to offer women aborting after twenty weeks pain medication for their fetuses; the Post-Abortion Depression Research and Care Act; and lots more. Measures like these make abortion harder to get: Arrangements take longer, travel becomes more burdensome, the clinic date gets pushed later and the cost goes up -- from around $350 for a first-trimester procedure to $1,000 or more after twelve weeks.

The rest of this rather odd article here:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/...in659363.shtml

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2004, 02:17   #2
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Hmmm... there goes women's rights. I forsee a lot of instances where "back-alley" abortions will happen.
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2004, 02:50   #3
Mattress
Forum King

next thing women won't be able to vote! OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!
Mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2004, 03:18   #4
squakMix
wwwyzzerdd
(Forum King)

squakMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2004, 03:47   #5
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to deeder7001 Send a message via Yahoo to deeder7001
i'm against abortions so i see this as a victory for the anti-abortionists. i'm not "anti-abortion" just because i'm a christian. i was anti-abortion since i was made aware of what an abortion was and what it did.

There is no sig.
deeder7001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2004, 03:56   #6
Mattress
Forum King

I think it's good that insurance companies can refuse to be involved in abortions, the way insurance works, everyone pays in and then money is given out to those who need it. so technically some of the money I pay in could potentially be going to fund abortions. I don't want my money to fund abortions, so that is a good thing.

What's so bad about giving companies the option to fund or not fund a highly contraversial medical procedure? they can still fund it if they want to. Why should companies fund abortions anyway, technically they should be considered a cosmetic operation, when was the last time your health insurance covered a nose job? many of them don't even cover vision, something that is truly necessary for lots of people.
Old 7th December 2004, 04:39   #7
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Matress, you've just described my view on how the Gov't relates to abortion.

The state doesn't have the right to force a corperate entity to be involved in abortion, just as much as it doesn't have the right to tell a woman she can't kill her baby.

I think it should be the right of the individual, however, I don't personally think abortion is ever nessicery, proper, or moral.

elevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladyelevatorladylevitateme
shakey_snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2004, 04:41   #8
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

i feel a debate coming on.

There is no sig.
Old 7th December 2004, 04:42   #9
Mattress
Forum King

I think it should be illegal, the government has a right to tell me I can't kill you.
Old 7th December 2004, 05:09   #10
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Yeah um...
Quote:
Originally posted by Artical 1, Section 8:
Clause 1: The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

Clause 2: To borrow Money on the credit of the United States;

Clause 3: To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

Clause 4: To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

Clause 5: To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

Clause 6: To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;

Clause 7: To establish Post Offices and post Roads;

Clause 8: To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

Clause 9: To constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court;

Clause 10: To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offences against the Law of Nations;

Clause 11: To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

Clause 12: To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

Clause 13: To provide and maintain a Navy;

Clause 14: To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

Clause 15: To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

Clause 16: To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

Clause 17: To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, byCession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;--And

Clause 18: To make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers, and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof.
I can't seem to find murder here anywhere...

Old 7th December 2004, 05:16   #11
Mattress
Forum King

And yet there are laws against murder. I said government, not congress.
Old 7th December 2004, 05:20   #12
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

Quote:
Delcaration of Independence
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. --That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed...
whatever happened to these ideals? nobody gives a shit about life, liberty or the pursuit of happiness any more. especially life.

There is no sig.
Old 7th December 2004, 05:21   #13
Mattress
Forum King

pursuit of happiness, my friend, babys ruin happiness, what with their pooping and crying and whatnot.
Old 7th December 2004, 05:35   #14
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

if the pregnancy is aborted, that child IS ROBBED of life, liberty and the pursuit of happines.

babies don't ruin happiness. negative people ruin the happiness.

There is no sig.
Old 7th December 2004, 06:01   #15
MegaRock
Forum King

Guess people can go back to the old style abortions:

Tune In Now!
Old 7th December 2004, 07:13   #16
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

^ that's what worries me. Folks, you can outlaw abortions, but, you won't stop it. I'd rather see it supported for safety of women's health.

It's not that insurance companies don't have to pay for the abortions anymore, hell, some companies don't even offer contraceptive provisions. It's conservatives steadying march towards overturning Roe vs. Wade that has me very worried.
Old 7th December 2004, 07:57   #17
Mattress
Forum King

so the worry that people will attempt unsafe coat hanger abortions that could result in the injury of the aborter is justification for legal "safe" abortions?

So the worry that people will attempt unsafe shotgun murders that could result in the injury of the murderer is justification for legal "safe" murders? Wouldn't want the murderer to accidentally shoot themselves now would we?
Old 7th December 2004, 08:44   #18
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

My last post on this topic (mainly because opinions will never change):

One thing I ask of those of you guys that are pro-lifers, make sure that the women you have a relationship with or will have, know where you stand on this subject. It may save you from a nasty surprise later.
Old 7th December 2004, 10:10   #19
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mattress
so the worry that people will attempt unsafe coat hanger abortions that could result in the injury of the aborter is justification for legal "safe" abortions?

So the worry that people will attempt unsafe shotgun murders that could result in the injury of the murderer is justification for legal "safe" murders? Wouldn't want the murderer to accidentally shoot themselves now would we?
The difference being that when one does not equate abortion with murder - as most who actually elect to get one do not - that whole analogy falls apart.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2004, 12:23   #20
Wolfgang
Forum King

Surely ShyShy and zootm's arguments are much more important than whether it's right or wrong according to the Christian faith. I think it's really really wrong for religion to take step infront of things that will only cause more damage. One of the things that annoys me a great deal is that the Vatican will still not say that condoms are OK. If they did, so many people in subsaharan Africa would start using them and stop the spreading of Aids.

It's also such a simple solution for paedophilia to stop to allow priests to marry. It doesn't mean they're going to be devoted to God less. It'll most likely mean that they'll be more balanced in the head and will be able to relate better to the people they're sermoning.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2004, 12:39   #21
MegaRock
Forum King

Quote:
No, but since it's not going to stop it's better to have it done in as humane way as possible than what used to happen before it was made legal (the coathanger method and many other really sick ways).

Quote:
So the worry that people will attempt unsafe shotgun murders that could result in the injury of the murderer is justification for legal "safe" murders?
No we have the electric chair for that - which just happens to be legal.

Tune In Now!
Old 7th December 2004, 12:39   #22
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Not to mention the fact that christian morality is causing a great number of abortions by keeping people from using contraceptives.
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2004, 15:05   #23
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

who said anything about the christians? this is not about the christians. for me an abortion IS MURDER. murder and abortion are no different from each other. and IT'S NOT BECAUSE I'M A CHRISTIAN. it's not christian morality that causes anything because if the pregnant person was really a christian, they wouldn't be pregnant. few people on these forums know what it is to be a christian. so they can't be talking crap all the time.

abortion - robs a person of life
murder - robs a person of life

There is no sig.
Old 7th December 2004, 15:35   #24
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Oh yes it is because you're a christian. Otherwise you might be able to differenciate between a person and an embryo, but since you're blinded by your faith you can't.
Old 7th December 2004, 15:36   #25
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

you don't know what it is to be a christian. you don't know what a christian is. and you are anti-christian.

There is no sig.
Old 7th December 2004, 16:34   #26
gaekwad2
Foorum King

And do you know what it's like to think for yourself?
Old 7th December 2004, 16:37   #27
deeder7001
Jesus Freak
(Forum King)

so you think that christians don't think for themselves? you are wrong. i think for myself. it's like i said. you do not know what it is to be a christian because you are not a christian.

There is no sig.
Old 7th December 2004, 18:36   #28
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by deeder7001
See, what you're doing there is equating a phoetus with a person. That's an opinion for a start, not a fact. It doesn't matter whether you're a Christian or not - until you stop representing your opinions as facts you will never be able to understand the opposition's argument. If you can't understand the opposition's argument, you can't argue against it, can you?

I don't equate phoetuses with people. Sorry, but I just don't buy into that particular philosophy of things. Incidentally, however, I know of Christians who agree with me on this issue - to believe that an abortion is a murder is derived from the belief that a phoetus is a person, which is not a Christian belief (obviously the converse isn't either, though).

To get back to the actual debate, however, the fact is that the more difficult you make it to get abortions, the more illegal, dangerous abortions will be carried out. You can't stop that. Legislating something away because you don't like it doesn't make people believe what you believe - it makes people who don't believe what you believe into potential criminals. When these people are in a desperate situation already, that's not something that's going to concern them.

I see this as a failure in the anti-abortion cause. Why? Because it's making abortion into a taboo subject. What the anti-abortionists need to do is to educate people (neutrally, with facts), equipping them to make their own decisions, rather than making them for them. If the anti-abortion case is so strong, people will stop of their own accords.

Ever notice that many of most vocal supporters of banning abortion are the same ones who advocate lie-filled "abstinence-only" sex education plans that are proven to lead to unwanted pregnancies? Is there a fundamental problem with the truth here?

Old 7th December 2004, 18:38   #29
grumpyBB

Send a message via AIM to grumpyBB
Quote:
I think it's good that insurance companies can refuse to be involved in abortions, the way insurance works, everyone pays in and then money is given out to those who need it. so technically some of the money I pay in could potentially be going to fund abortions. I don't want my money to fund abortions, so that is a good thing.

What's so bad about giving companies the option to fund or not fund a highly contraversial medical procedure? they can still fund it if they want to. Why should companies fund abortions anyway, technically they should be considered a cosmetic operation, when was the last time your health insurance covered a nose job? many of them don't even cover vision, something that is truly necessary for lots of people.
I couldn't have said it any better.
grumpyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2004, 18:44   #30
zootm
Forum King

Oh, and incidentally, the main problem with the option for insurance companies being able to opt-out of abortion payments is that companies think with their wallets - as such, it's a highly attractive option for insurance companies, regardless of morality. Indeed, I'd be surprised if any company continues to fund abortions for any reason other than morals.

Old 7th December 2004, 21:47   #31
squakMix
wwwyzzerdd
(Forum King)

Quote:
if the pregnancy is aborted, that child IS ROBBED of life, liberty and the pursuit of happines.

babies don't ruin happiness. negative people ruin the happiness.
Who says a baby is a person?

...you could probably argue a COW is a person, therefore illegal to kill them.

Just because they're of the human species doesnt make them special.
squakMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2004, 21:55   #32
gaekwad2
Foorum King

The main point is that it isn't a baby yet.

It's an embryo that certainly has less feelings than a cow.
Old 7th December 2004, 21:56   #33
The Titan

I never thought I'd get so irritated by the sheer ignorance displayed on these forums by some people that I'd actually have to sign up so I could post a reply.

First off, I'm not a Christian, and certainly not a fundamentalist. Beliefs in a holy lord or not, opinions like mine still count; something at least one of you anti-abortionists has failed to take into account.

Catholics and fundamentalists just can't seem to grasp the concept that if it's heart ain't beating, then it ain't living. That's called science - something such people seem to pick and choose to suit their arguement, unable to understand how damn contradictary they are being from one arguement to the next.

I could go into depth, but I think my words would be wasted on most of you anti-abortionists, and anyone I could convince now will likely be convinced in later life when they actually look around and think about the world around them.

To sum up though, a fetus could well become a human if not aborted (still deaths are still possible), the odds would be in it's favour, though if you want it aborted it's likely it isn't going to live long - most people have valid reasons for aborting.

However, I see no reason for a baby to be born into a world if it doesn't have to be; if it would just be a life of pain and anguish. The brain isn't functioning until WELL into the pregnancy, so to end it's life before this time is causing it no pain. Certainly, you could well be saving it from horrors no child should be subjected to.

In my opinion, if you wish pain and anguish on a child, which some of you clearly do, I fail to see how a god could ever accept you.
The Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2004, 22:01   #34
shakey_snake
Forum Domo

Quote:
Originally posted by squakMix
Just because they're of the human species doesnt make them special.
How pitiful of a statement.

I'd like to see any pro-choicer have a conversation with a former saline baby, and see if they still hold the same opinion.

Old 7th December 2004, 22:24   #35
Myxomatosis
aka bRiAnFuRY
Fuck it dude...
let's go bowling.
(Major dud)

Send a message via AIM to Myxomatosis
I remember in middle school, these guys took a camera and started interviewing all these female teachers. They asked "Do you wish that Women's Sufferage would end?" And the teachers replied with enthusiasm about how it is wrong for women to suffer, etc.

Alex Jones: Do you want the puppet on the right or the puppet on the left? What a bunch of garbage; liberal democrat, conservative, republican. It's all there to control you! Two sides of the same coin. Two management teams bidding for control, the CEO job of Slavery, Incorporated! The truth is out there in front of you, but they lay out this buffet of lies. I'm sick of it, and I'm not going to take a bite out of it, do you got me?
Myxomatosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2004, 22:31   #36
Mattress
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolfgang
One of the things that annoys me a great deal is that the Vatican will still not say that condoms are OK. If they did, so many people in subsaharan Africa would start using them and stop the spreading of Aids.
The Catholic Church also says you should be monogamous, and you shouldn't have sex until you get married. not many in Africa adhere to that rule though, hence the severe aids problems in africa.

Blaming the church for the problem because of their stance on condoms is dumb, why would they listen to the church about condoms when they don't listen to them about abstinence?

I agree with you on the letting priests marry though.

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
See, what you're doing there is equating a phoetus with a person. That's an opinion for a start, not a fact.
Here's two facts: A fetus is a living organism. A fetus has the same DNA as a human who has been born.

Draw your own conclusions.
Old 7th December 2004, 23:08   #37
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Here's two facts: A fetus is a living organism. A fetus has the same DNA as a human who has been born.

Draw your own conclusions.
Now there's a more intelligent comment! There is still a subtext that you find your belief "obvious", though - spermatozoa fulfil both of those requirements, and yet you don't seem to care about the fact that so many of them die... I guess that your argument is to do with unnecessary, or unnatural death - the mode of death, rather than the actual subject - but still, it's not at all an obvious conclusion to make. Does one define one as a person from birth? From when one can feel pain? From the moment of being able to move muscles? From the moment of conception? From first conscious thought? When do cells or a phoetus become a person? If a phoetus is not a person, is destroying it any worse than wearing a condom during sex? Is it any worse than shooting an animal for no reason other than sport? Are neither of these analogies relevant? If not, why not?

Too many treat the abortion debate as if the evidence for one side is self-evident. That simply is not so. Such narrow-minded thinking has reduced the argument to childish mud-slinging... Since both sides know they're right, what point is there in listening to the other side?

This debate brings out the worst in people. It shows people as the ignorant, self-important idiots we all like to pretend that we're not.

Old 7th December 2004, 23:18   #38
Mattress
Forum King

Here's an interesting site about the subject Claims to only state the facts:
Quote:
9 Weeks after Fertilization (11 weeks after LMP)

More than 90% of the body structures found in a full-grown human are present. The medical classification changes from an embryo to a fetus. This dividing line was chosen by embryologists because from this point forward, most development involves growth in existing body structures instead of the formation of new ones.[19] [20] The preborn human moves body parts without any outside stimulation.[21]

10 Weeks after Fertilization (12 weeks after LMP)

All parts of the brain and spinal cord are formed. The heart pumps blood to every part of the body.[22] The whole body is sensitive to touch except for portions of the head. The preborn human makes facial expressions.[23]

At this stage, according to the Supreme Court rulings in "Roe vs. Wade" and "Planned Parenthood vs. Casey," a pregnant woman can abort at will. (Details in the section on Constitution and Law.)
Quote:
38 Weeks after Fertilization (40 weeks after LMP)

Average point in time when humans are born. At birth, the medical classification changes from a fetus to a neonate.[40] [41] At any point prior to birth, according to the Supreme Court's rulings in "Roe vs. Wade" and "Doe vs. Bolton," a pregnant woman can abort to preserve her health. One example from Roe vs. Wade of what may be considered harmful to a mother's health is the work of caring for a child. (More information and detail in the section on Constitution and Law.)
Quote:
One example from Roe vs. Wade of what may be considered harmful to a mother's health is the "stigma of unwed motherhood."
Old 7th December 2004, 23:44   #39
zootm
Forum King

All true. All things I knew before. What conclusions do you draw from it, though?

Old 7th December 2004, 23:56   #40
MegaRock
Forum King

Quote:
for me an abortion IS MURDER. murder and abortion are no different from each other.

Ok, so abortion and murder are the same thing, right?

But, it's ok to invade a country killing thousands more or less because we don't like what they are doing and want their rulers gone. We did it in Afghanistan and Iraq. Sorry, but according to you MURDER IS MURDER. Where the hell is the christian attitude there?

Also since you're a Bush supporter (as you said you voted for him) and Bush supports the DEATH PENALTY which is the MURDER OF A HUMAN and BUSH was responsible for making sure many people on death row were MURDERED before he left Texas the very president you voted for IS A MURDER IN THE UNITED STATES, AFGHANISTAN AND IRAQ and has killed men, women and children.

So which side is it - either murder is wrong and the President you voted for COMMITTED MURDER MULTIPLE TIMES therefore is wrong - or it's not.

Tune In Now!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News