Old 8th September 2005, 17:33   #1
Triton4
Major Dude

Schwarznegger to veto Gay Marriage Bill

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said he would veto a bill to legalize same-sex marriage "out of respect for the will of the people," drawing heated criticism from gay rights supporters and cheers from conservative groups.

The bill, narrowly passed by lawmakers in the past week, would make California the first state to legalize same-sex marriage through its legislature. In Massachusetts, recognition of gay marriages came through a court ruling.

But Schwarzenegger said Wednesday the legislation would conflict with the intent of voters when they approved an initiative five years ago that prevents California from recognizing same-sex marriages performed in other states or countries.

"We cannot have a system where the people vote and the Legislature derails that vote," the governor's press secretary, Margita Thompson, said in a statement.

Conservatives hailed the announcement.

"I'm encouraged that the governor is going to stop the runaway Legislature, and he's going to represent the people," said Karen England of the Capitol Resource Institute, a Sacramento group that lobbied against the bill.

But gay rights advocates said the Republican governor had betrayed the bipartisan ideals that helped get him elected in the 2003 recall election.

"Clearly he's pandering to an extreme right wing, which was not how he got elected," said Geoff ****, executive director of Equality California, one of the bill's sponsors. "He got elected with record numbers of lesbian and gay voters who had not previously voted for a Republican, and he sold us out."

The governor has until Oct. 9 to issue the veto. A veto override in California requires a two-thirds vote in both the Assembly and Senate. The Assembly approved the bill 41-35, while the Senate voted 21-15.

Despite his promise to veto the bill, Schwarzenegger still believes "gay couples are entitled to full protection under the law and should not be discriminated against based upon their relationship," Thompson's statement said. "He is proud that California provides the most rigorous protections in the nation for domestic partners."

California already gives same-sex couples many of the rights and duties of marriage if they register with the state as domestic partners.

Also Wednesday, in Massachusetts, a proposed ballot initiative that would ban same-sex marriages passed a major hurdle. The state attorney general ruled the initiative would be permitted under a section of the Massachusetts Constitution allowing voters to overturn court decisions.

The decision clears the way for conservative groups to begin gathering signatures and lobbying lawmakers in hopes of putting the issue before voters in 2008.

___

Source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...090800249.html
Triton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 18:13   #2
d0rk
I contribute nothing.
(Forum King)

Re: Schwarznegger to veto Gay Marriage Bill

Quote:
Originally posted by Triton4
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger said he would veto a bill to legalize same-sex marriage[/url]

asshole...

I came for the hatred.
I stayed for the ballbag.
d0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 20:15   #3
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

indeed...
ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 20:31   #4
CaboWaboAddict
Forum Sot
(Major Dude)

Re: Schwarznegger to veto Gay Marriage Bill

@d0rk and @ertmann|CPH Didn't you friggin read this?

Quote:
Originally posted by Triton4
But Schwarzenegger said Wednesday the legislation would conflict with the intent of voters when they approved an initiative five years ago that prevents California from recognizing same-sex marriages performed in other states or countries.

"We cannot have a system where the people vote and the Legislature derails that vote," the governor's press secretary, Margita Thompson, said in a statement.

Despite his promise to veto the bill, Schwarzenegger still believes "gay couples are entitled to full protection under the law and should not be discriminated against based upon their relationship," Thompson's statement said. "He is proud that California provides the most rigorous protections in the nation for domestic partners."

California already gives same-sex couples many of the rights and duties of marriage if they register with the state as domestic partners.

WTF? He did the right thing under the circumstances. He is on the side of gay rights, but he is doing what the people of the state voted for! Its going to come up for a vote so the people can change their mind if they want to.

Sometimes I thing the friggin liberals just bitch to hear themselves bitch!

Idiot's Advocate
My site (under construction)
CaboWaboAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 21:37   #5
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
Quote:
Sure wish the damn do-gooders would actually read articles. Do you really want the government to reject the will of the people any more than they already do?

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 22:22   #6
rockouthippie
Banned

We had a vote in Oregon on this very issue.

By a really good margin, marriage is a union between a man and a woman.

I am sorry, but most people do not condone a homosexual lifestyle. I don't care, but I don't believe in promoting the gay agenda.

Marriage happens between men and women. The alternative lifestyle that homosexuals engage in is fine with me, but I'm not going to call it a marriage.

Use a different word if you're gay. I'll vote to condone the same rights as marriage.

If you are gay, you already came up with a different lifestyle. Find a word for it.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 22:59   #7
mrthchemp

luv and marriage, luv and marriage,
go togevver like a horse and carriage...

bash that bible when it suits ya.

as for this thread...

mrthchemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 23:30   #8
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by rockouthippie
Use a different word if you're gay. I'll vote to condone the same rights as marriage.
My personal belief is that if that is signed into law, then the legal union between a man and a woman should cease to be called marriage. It follows from the same logic

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 23:38   #9
Jay
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
My personal belief is that if that is signed into law, then the legal union between a man and a woman should cease to be called marriage. It follows from the same logic
and I completely agree that the government should toss the term marriage. It only makes sense.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 23:51   #10
MegaRock
Forum King

[IMG]http://www.chinadaily.com*****en/doc/2003-12/19/xin_dcfa573553934684b7549afaca88d15b_koons-michael-jackson-and-b.gif[/IMG]
Pretty soon we can look forward to a world where anything can marry anything. Michael Jackson can't wait.

Tune In Now!
Old 9th September 2005, 00:14   #11
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

@cabo

yup, i read it...

now i read it again..

and my response would still be

indeed...

Too me it's like saying; [insert random facist here] what a nice guy, voters wanted to keep torture, but the legislature overturned the vote, luckely our benvolent leader vetoed them out...

i know you don't agree, but that's my take on it, and hence I insist on my right to call him an asshole

and liberal bitches, he... that's like.... ok he's calling me a bitch, but then again, he's calling me a liberal too, so i guess it evens it self out if it weren't for us liberals the world would still be Amish [edit, realized i read it wrong, but i'll keep the paragraph anyway, because i can]

you might want to read up on the word Liberal btw

Main Entry: liberal
Function: noun
: a person who is liberal: as a : one who is open-minded or not strict in the observance of orthodox, traditional, or established forms or ways b capitalized : a member or supporter of a liberal political party c : an advocate or adherent of liberalism especially in individual rights

Main Entry: lib·er·al·ism
Pronunciation: 'li-b(&-)r&-"li-z&m
Function: noun
1 : the quality or state of being liberal
2 a often capitalized : a movement in modern Protestantism emphasizing intellectual liberty and the spiritual and ethical content of Christianity b : a theory in economics emphasizing individual freedom from restraint and usually based on free competition, the self-regulating market, and the gold standard c : a political philosophy based on belief in progress, the essential goodness of the human race, and the autonomy of the individual and standing for the protection of political and civil liberties d capitalized : the principles and policies of a Liberal party

I don't see why anyone would be ashamed to be called a liberal

Last edited by ertmann|CPH; 9th September 2005 at 00:43.
Old 9th September 2005, 02:08   #12
Phyltre
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Phyltre Send a message via Yahoo to Phyltre
Quote:
Originally posted by ertmann|CPH
@cabo

yup, i read it...

now i read it again..

and my response would still be

indeed...

Too me it's like saying; [insert random facist here] what a nice guy, voters wanted to keep torture, but the legislature overturned the vote, luckely our benvolent leader vetoed them out...
Yes, that's how democracy works.
Phyltre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2005, 02:11   #13
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
I don't see why anyone would be ashamed to be called a liberal [/B]
I think I would be ashamed. Liberalism and Conservatism are very wrong.

How about we just be kind to each other?.

I understand, too well, both viewpoints.

Both sides are "in my pocket".

And in yours too.
Old 9th September 2005, 03:35   #14
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

I'm in favor of gays and lesbians marrying.

Any gay should be able to marry any lesbian.
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2005, 04:14   #15
billyvnilly
Forum King, M.D.

Send a message via ICQ to billyvnilly Send a message via AIM to billyvnilly
Well i am for the removal of the word marriage in the government.

And what is a legislative body? They are elected representatives OF THE PEOPLE, by the people... lets do away with legislators and leave everything up to the people, everyday, we'll go out and vote. yay.
billyvnilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2005, 04:21   #16
MegaRock
Forum King

Personally once the people have voted for it and the issue decided in that vote that should be it. No lawsuits, no legislators sticking their noses into it and no Supreme Court intervention. Maybe just because as times go on laws may need to change with the times put the issue up for a revote every X number of years. Outside of the people deciding differently though there should be no change in the law until the revote comes.

Tune In Now!
Old 9th September 2005, 10:05   #17
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Get the fuck back in the closet!
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2005, 10:14   #18
rockouthippie
Banned

Bambi called a skunk "flower", but it was still a skunk.
Old 9th September 2005, 22:27   #19
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by ElChevelle
Get the fuck back in the closet!
ROFL!
Old 10th September 2005, 09:04   #20
mysterious_w
Forum King

I'm personally all for full equality. Apart from maybe adoption, I don't know, they should allow it for now but reviwe whther homosexuals adopt in around 15 years, and see if the kids that have been adopted by homosexual parents feel they had a balanced upbringing. If so, yeah, full equality.

mysterious_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2005, 13:45   #21
rockouthippie
Banned

Everyone who shuts the hell up should be equal.
Old 10th September 2005, 16:21   #22
mysterious_w
Forum King

What exactly does that comment mean?

Old 10th September 2005, 18:13   #23
d0rk
I contribute nothing.
(Forum King)

Quote:
We had a vote in Oregon on this very issue.

By a really good margin, marriage is a union between a man and a woman.

I am sorry, but most people do not condone a homosexual lifestyle. I don't care, but I don't believe in promoting the gay agenda.

Marriage happens between men and women. The alternative lifestyle that homosexuals engage in is fine with me, but I'm not going to call it a marriage.

If you are gay, you already came up with a different lifestyle. Find a word for it.
I personally believe that homosexuality is wrong. But, why should my personal beliefs be impossed on other that don't agree with me? That is the same for every person in America. I think gays should be able to have a legal binding but not have it called marriage. I belive marriage is between a man and a woman but if two gays love each other, why not let them have something that says "these two are legally together in love blah blah blah".

If a man is injured and is in the ER, his lover cannot see him because he isn't considered family or husband to the patient. They have no rights in a funeral, cannot be included in health/dental/life insurance that their other receives through work, cannot receive tax breaks married couples do, etc etc. The list goes on and on.

I came for the hatred.
I stayed for the ballbag.
d0rk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2005, 19:14   #24
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by mysterious_w
What exactly does that comment mean?
I'm tired of activism. People squaking about how life isn't fair. Welcome to the club!.

The worlds woes are somehow my fault because I'm a heterosexual white guy.

I'll relate something that happened once. I was having some dinner with friends. My friends wife was bitching about how men got all the breaks and how her boss (being a man) got all the money and she got the shaft.

Unfortunately for her, I knew her boss. He got a MBA from OSU in business administration. I got tired of listening to "man bashing" and I called her on it.

I said:

"I know your boss, Laurie. I grew up with him. He came from a very poor family. I know he earned everything he has. The guy was working 2 jobs in college, going to school, was on the "Deans list".

When he got his bachelors degree, that would have been about the time you dropped out of college as a junior...

I also know your parents were wealthy enough that you didn't have to work at all in school....

Hmmm... I wonder why he got better pay?."

This is what I mean. I'm tired of the gay, race, gender card.

Shut up.
Old 10th September 2005, 19:28   #25
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I choose to be a poor, black woman!
Can I get my food stamps and welfare now?
Old 10th September 2005, 19:34   #26
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
I choose to be a poor, black woman!
Can I get my food stamps and welfare now?
If you shut up and don't tell me your plight is worst than a poor white woman, because you were born with a permanent sun tan.
Old 10th September 2005, 21:02   #27
mysterious_w
Forum King

You are a very very angry man. I think you should try an anger management class. Seriously.

Old 10th September 2005, 21:14   #28
rockouthippie
Banned

Perhaps. Or maybe I am just tired of bullshit. While I may be angry sometimes, I have also been described as "generous, almost to a fault".

I guess that if I had "sheep-eyed" acceptance of everything.....

That I'm supposed to accept every putrid thing that people toss at me as normal.... Guilty.

Oh, never get mad, accept the status quo. Be a nice sheep.

Guilty.

Baaaaa!

Have some boiled beef and some yorkshire pudding.

Baaa! good sheep.
Old 10th September 2005, 22:37   #29
mrthchemp

Quote:
Have some boiled beef and some yorkshire pudding.
more stereotyping. tsk tsk...
mrthchemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2005, 23:01   #30
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
Well, this thread has been shot to hell. Those same sex people should be allowed a union and respected by the government with the same respect given to hetero couples. End of Story. The government has no right governing this period. This should be LEFT to the churches and nothing ELSE.

ALL these opposition rulings are from overzealous religous nuts in congress positions who think that they have to impose anything and everything on everyone else. THAT WAS NOT HOW THE CONSTITUTION WAS WRITTEN.

Even though the forefathers of the country had their own religion, there were OTHER people here TOO who had their own beliefs and traditions. IF you think that ANY of them will go away, then stop dreaming. Homosexuality was around well before most ancient civilizations. You think that its going to go away anytime soon. Nope. IT has YET to die. So people might as well tolerate it or they will continue to lose hair over nothing. Period.

Take it how you want, I really don't give a shit.
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2005, 02:08   #31
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Omega X
Well, this thread has been shot to hell. Those same sex people should be allowed a union and respected by the government with the same respect given to hetero couples.
No, and they've been told no. We've voted NO nearly everywhere. You should have seen the legal trickery that went on here, when they have been told NO.

Gay is not marriage. No.

What part of NO do gays not understand.

Find a different word, like "civil union".
Old 11th September 2005, 02:16   #32
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by Omega X
The government has no right governing this period. This should be LEFT to the churches and nothing ELSE.
It's WE THE PEOPLE and WE THE PEOPLE think that sticking a feces covered penis in another guy's mouth isn't a union.
I'm aetheist and don't believe it should happen. My buddy next door and I could claim to have a union and reap the benefits.
Like I said before, If I become asexual, does my hand get benefits too?
Old 11th September 2005, 02:49   #33
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by mrthchemp
more stereotyping. tsk tsk...
If people wouldn't meet the stereotypes so well, I'd be happy.

Would any of you guys that have decent medical insurance "marry" me?.

I couldn't get bent over any worst than I am now.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 11th September 2005 at 03:20.
Old 11th September 2005, 04:22   #34
MegaRock
Forum King

Quote:
It's WE THE PEOPLE and WE THE PEOPLE think that sticking a feces covered penis in another guy's mouth isn't a union.
I'm aetheist and don't believe it should happen. My buddy next door and I could claim to have a union and reap the benefits.
Like I said before, If I become asexual, does my hand get benefits too?
Bingo.

Tune In Now!
Old 11th September 2005, 04:59   #35
Phyltre
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Phyltre Send a message via Yahoo to Phyltre
Quote:
Well, this thread has been shot to hell. Those same sex people should be allowed a union and respected by the government with the same respect given to hetero couples. End of Story. The government has no right governing this period. This should be LEFT to the churches and nothing ELSE.
Now, I actually want to discuss this. Why do you have a pre-conceived notion of what the government should and should not govern? And from what do you derive it?
Phyltre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2005, 05:08   #36
rockouthippie
Banned

I'm certainly not going to go that far.

I really don't oppose being gay, as far as the individuals go. But that isn't what they are asking.

What they are asking is that I APPROVE, rather than accept that behavior.

The gay agenda is to have this taught in school like it was just another lifestyle choice.

That we APPROVE of this and call it marriage.

Of course, I such an angry guy, that I must need some counseling.

I have known and worked with a lot of gay people. I usually find their choice to be rather tragic for them. Just like a lot of choices people make.

If you are gay, God Bless You. But I'm sorry, if you are looking for APPROVAL, not here.

I went to the funeral of my neighbor, who died of AIDS, because he was gay. I drove his mom.

I might have been one of the last people who gave a damn about the poor bastard.

His "lovers" weren't there to bury him.

Acceptance, yes. Approval as "just another lifestyle choice"... nope.

Then we could talk about a rather underpublished syphillis epidemic among homosexual men in Portland.

Here try this for fun.

http://www.cdc.gov/od/oc/media/pressrel/r021101b.htm

Last edited by rockouthippie; 11th September 2005 at 07:05.
Old 11th September 2005, 08:01   #37
mysterious_w
Forum King

Quote:
I went to the funeral of my neighbor, who died of AIDS, because he was gay.
I am shocked there are still people who think AIDS is somehow a "gay" disease.

He contracted the HIV virus because he didn't use a condom, just like the millions of heterosexual people in sub-saharan Africa are dying of AIDS due to not practicing safe-sex.

Also, how do you know he didn't get it froma dirty tattoo needle or an unfortunate blood transfusion?

Anyway, it Britain at least, HIV is being contracted more through heterosexual relationships than homosexual.

AIDS is NOT a gay disease. It is NOT somehow punishment from some higher being for being gay. (Although I'm still not sure whether a man originally caught it from bonking a monkey )

Old 11th September 2005, 08:37   #38
rockouthippie
Banned

Oh, I'm sure being a pudding eating brit, that you are shocked. But if my friend hadn't been a "rump ranger", he'd still be alive.

Why do you think that the tradition of mankind for it's entire existence has frowned on this?.

Actually, I never met a gay that wasn't of brit descent.

Perhaps a problem in the gene pool or ?.

Live on a little island a little too long?

I'd suggest you go to Scotland for a bit.

They'd just kick your sorry liberal butt, force some haggus down your throat, and send you packing.

The anal part of that would be a booted foot.

Last edited by rockouthippie; 11th September 2005 at 09:12.
Old 11th September 2005, 09:48   #39
mysterious_w
Forum King

Quote:
Oh, I'm sure being a pudding eating brit, that you are shocked.
Only eat pudding at Xmas, it's rather scrummy, yes.

Quote:
But if my friend hadn't been a "rump ranger", he'd still be alive.
If he had been a "condom wearing rump ranger", I reckon he'd still be.. er.. ranging rumps to this day.

Quote:
Why do you think that the tradition of mankind for it's entire existence has frowned on this?.
What about the ancient Greek saying "Woman for children, man for pleasure", OK, that is probably BS, but homosexuality was definetly allowed during Anicent Greece and Rome, there are many examples of art from that time showing homosexual sex. Source 1 2 3

Quote:
Actually, I never met a gay that wasn't of brit descent.

Perhaps a problem in the gene pool or ?.

Live on a little island a little too long?

I'd suggest you go to Scotland for a bit.

They'd just kick your sorry liberal butt, force some haggus down your throat, and send you packing.

The anal part of that would be a booted foot.
Scotland is in Britain, you fool.

Old 11th September 2005, 11:28   #40
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Scotland is in Britain, you fool
Yes, I know. I just wanted you to find someplace close to get your ass kicked.

Maybe you should troll the pubs in Ireland with a sign that says "I'm gay, but I wear a condom".

That's why I suggested Scotland. They might not kill you.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News