Old 13th May 2006, 18:18   #1
anandamide

"Let's Impeach The President" by Neil Young

Cheers To Neil Young for his new album "Living With War" featuring the track "Let's Impeach The President". The whole album streams for free from Neil's Garage.

Let's impeach the president for lying
And leading our country into war
Abusing all the power that we gave him
And shipping all our money out the door
He's the man who hired all the criminals
The White House shadows who hide behind closed doors
And bend the facts to fit with their new stories
Of why we have to send our men to war
Let's impeach the president for spying
On citizens inside their own homes
Breaking every law in the country
By tapping our computers and telephones
What if Al Qaeda blew up the levees
Would New Orleans have been safer that way
Sheltered by our government's protection
Or was someone just not home that day?
Let's impeach the president
For hijacking our religion and using it to get elected
Dividing our country into colors
And still leaving black people neglected
Thank god he's cracking down on steroids
Since he sold his old baseball team
There's lot of people looking at big trouble
But of course the president is clean
Thank God

anandamide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2006, 18:42   #2
mikm
Major Dude

Music O Rama?

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2006, 19:31   #3
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Point to ponder:

If the terrorists were not kept busy in Iraq, where would they be?

Think about it.
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2006, 01:54   #4
zootm
Forum King

The terrorists were kept busy in Iraq?

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2006, 20:50   #5
Lewis Holt

Quote:
Originally posted by mikm
Music O Rama?
I was thinking more like Bitchlist (or maybe even the Bin)
Lewis Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2006, 00:04   #6
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Why do none of these artists write songs about the good that is being done in places like Iraq?
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2006, 00:30   #7
Smeggle
Just Strolling By
(Major Dude)

Some weird concept of good blowing the living beejaysus out of the place

Music is Life, Love and Happiness :|: Life is Music. Serren - 1985 - 2005
Religion? Religion is a Blasphemy against humanity - From the film What the Bleep do we know

siggy link So stumbling? whats it all about
Smeggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2006, 01:46   #8
webthing
Forum King

Politics aside. Musically it's a excellent album. The music. The lyrics. The way its being released. Excellent work. If you know Neil Young......... you know that this is just par for the course. But this time not really. Its life and death issues. And the direction of our country. Neil Young is a rock-n-roll legend. And I defend his right to say whatever he wants too. On the other side. Why should one man get all the blame? Shouldn't the millions of people who put him in office be to blame too. What about congress and senate? Aren't they the ones really running the country. And Aren't we the one who put them in there? Whats impeaching George Bush going to solve anyway. I think George Bush did what he thought he had to do. The problem is now....... how are we going to get out of Iraq. Lets focus on that. Oh well I hope this album .......... gets people talking. And gets our troops home.

God Bless America.

webthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2006, 14:22   #9
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Smeggle
Some weird concept of good blowing the living beejaysus out of the place
Better than living under Saddam...

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2006, 15:01   #10
Mattress
Forum King

Sounds like this song will be a hit for years
Mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2006, 20:51   #11
NJK
The Frisian Spamfighter

Quote:
Originally posted by Mattress
Sounds like this song will be a hit for years
that would the first time in years Old Neil really would have a hit record.

@Webthing

Great post.

there is as always with Neil more to the picture than meets the Eye
Neil has always managed to get people talking about political issues

( btw , not bad for a Canadian)

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 07:10   #12
rockouthippie
Banned

Re: "Let's Impeach The President" by Neil Young

Quote:
And still leaving black people neglected
Play me a song on the worlds tiniest violin about poor oppressed black people. I've listened to them my whole life. They have the same job I have, get paid the same money and get to vote. But somehow, they're oppressed.

I guess 150 years ago, their great, great grandfathers were slaved by some people my ancestors never met. But still, since I'm white, life is so much easier for me. I must owe them some money or something......
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 13:15   #13
Mattress
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by spaceplay
that would the first time in years Old Neil really would have a hit record.
Apparently you missed the <sarcasm> tags.
Old 16th May 2006, 16:14   #14
mysterious_w
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo Baggins
Why do none of these artists write songs about the good that is being done in places like Iraq?
Because they'd have about 3 words of material?

mysterious_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2006, 17:56   #15
Mattress
Forum King

because misery sells, ever watch the news?
Old 16th May 2006, 20:16   #16
anandamide

In a sense they were better off under Saddam because they knew who the devil was then and could act accordingly. Now who knows where the next bomb will explode? The argument that it's better for the terror to be happening in Iraq than the US is weak because a steady stream of American blood is unacceptable whether that blood is spilled here or there. So much for Iraq -- the Afghanistan war is far from over as well, and the main reason was foolishly spreading the battlefield to Iraq.
Old 17th May 2006, 05:10   #17
rockouthippie
Banned

Some citizens were better off with Sadam. But then a million children starved to death while Sadam used the sanctioned money to build palaces, rather than feed children.

If I am going to find fault with our conduct regarding Iraq, it was our lack of resolve in solving the Sadam problem 10 years ago, when Stormin Norman wanted to have a drink in the Bagdad Hilton and we left instead.

If I am going to find fault now, it's that we aren't supporting this war nearly enough. As Thomas Friedman pointed out (mentioned in another post) our lack of resolve is going to be a problem as it is likely that we will be baby sitting a civil war.

It is possible that we could prevail, but probably the most prudent thing would be to re-instate the draft and send a couple of million troops to take complete control of the country so that democracy could have a chance.

It would probably take a million troops to control the twenty five million Iraqis, because of radical islam and other parts of the middle east supporting radical militancy.

Another problem is that the Bathtists are prevented from holding public jobs. In many cases, these are the people that have the skills to keep the toilets flushing and the lights on. In a lot of cases, these guys only supported Sadam tacitly as public officials in charge of minor aspects of public works.

In making powerful enemies of anyone that was involved with Sadams government, even if they were the dog catcher, the Iraqis have sponsored more enmity than if a more reasonable attitude had been taken.

Another problem is that we appear not to have a unified resolve about the future of Iraq. But what the Iraqis don't understand is that our own dissidents are usually flakes that have little or no say in what will really happen.

Partisanship in this isn't helping and the democrat solution to this continuing problem is not going to look much different than a republican one.

One of two things will happen. We will fail. Then we will be forced, like Vietnam and Nixon, to destroy Iraq to the point that they are not a continuing threat to the region and watch a civil war fought with a greatly decreased military might.

Iraq still has a formidable amount of western weaponry that would have to be destroyed were we to take the option of letting anarchy take it's course.

If this happens, there will likely be some action that we will have to take to keep the Iranians inside their own borders while the mayhem works itself out.

Regardless, this problem will not be solved for 10 years.

And I think it's fair to say that the war protestors are more interested in regaining their liberal power base, than the loss of our brave soldiers.

In other words, these casualties (which would be the same or worst in a democrat controlled government) would be forgiven a democrat president. This is not a war protest, or a wiretapping protest or a protest against tax increases for the rich. This is a protest about the decimation of the liberal power base in this country.

In my opinion, this was overdue. And it appears that most of us agree, because GB is the president.
Old 17th May 2006, 15:37   #18
Mattress
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by anandamide
The argument that it's better for the terror to be happening in Iraq than the US is weak because a steady stream of American blood is unacceptable whether that blood is spilled here or there.
Did you know that more American blood is spilled in California each year then in Iraq since the beginning of the current iraq war?

But by all means, keep whining about dismally low casualty counts in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Old 17th May 2006, 17:59   #19
CaboWaboAddict
Forum Sot
(Major Dude)

I fart in Neil Young's general direction.

Idiot's Advocate
My site (under construction)
CaboWaboAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2006, 18:32   #20
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
Maybe we should round up all the illegals and tell them if they want citizenship then we're going to send them over to Iraq for four years and when they make it back they'll get it. Since they'll make more money in the military than they do as illegals and they want citizenship I think it's a great deal.

Let's see how many of them run like hell back to Mexico then.

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2006, 20:04   #21
anandamide

Those who want the war ended now are way more pro-soldiers than those who want the war to continue because pro-peace people want to see those young soldiers enjoy a life rather than have it blown away needlessly in some foreign desert.

There is a military-industrial complex which profits from a "brave new world" of ongoing war at the expense of the lives of young soldiers. The sick government has no problem coming up with hundreds of billions of dollars to pay for war. Why not fork out a fraction of that to invest in bringing cleaner, renewable bio-fuel to the fore-front so that blood doesn't have to be spilled over fossil-fuel?
What is going on is evil, nothing short of it.

Anyone who is thinking in terms of "low casualty counts" obviously views precious lost lives as mere statistics and doesn't see the value of each life. Moreover, the casualty count is not low when you consider the many thousands of maimed soldiers, innocent lives lost accidentally, etc. The number of killed US soldiers is approaching the number lost in the World Trade Center attack, no drop in the bucket and fully preventable.
Old 17th May 2006, 20:44   #22
CaboWaboAddict
Forum Sot
(Major Dude)

^I fart in your general direction too!

Idiot's Advocate
Old 18th May 2006, 02:21   #23
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
Those who want the war ended now are way more pro-soldiers than those who want the war to continue because pro-peace people want to see those young soldiers enjoy a life rather than have it blown away needlessly in some foreign desert.
Bull.

And if you talk to the soldiers, they think their mission is a worthy one.
Old 18th May 2006, 15:06   #24
Mattress
Forum King

Quote:
Those who want the war ended now
How can the war be ended now? If we leave Iraq and Afghanistan the war doesn't end. One side retreating doesn't end a war, both sides have to agree to stop killing each other.

Do you think Bin Laden and the other terrorists will stop attacking us?
Old 18th May 2006, 18:45   #25
anandamide

Soldiers are trained to take orders and not question what they are doing. It is the responsibility of government leaders to make sound decisions about where soldiers go, and US leaders have been wreckless in that job over the past few years. Also, even though they are not trained to question, many soldiers DO seriously question and have problems with what is going on now.

Bin Laden and company would stop attacking the US if the US started being even-handed in their Middle East foreign policy. The Soviets were not attacked by Al Qaeda after they left Afghanistan.

After no WMD were found in Iraq, the reason for being there flip-flopped to democratization which is nonsense when you consider that democratically elected HAMAS in Palestine is not being recognized by Washington. The truth has to do with energy, fossil fuel reserves, as well as a military-industrial complex which profits from ongoing war, profits for oil companies and companies like Halliburton which Cheney has been involved with.
Old 18th May 2006, 19:14   #26
spiderbaby1958
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Wildrose-Wally
Point to ponder:

If the terrorists were not kept busy in Iraq, where would they be?

Think about it.
But don't think about it too much, cause it falls apart pretty quick. I always like to compare this arguement to the doctor who tells you that you ahve a brain tumor, but brain surgery isn't covered by your insurance, so he'going to inject cancer cells in your leg, where they can be dealt with by a simple amputation.

Most of the insurgency in Iraq is native Iraqis, meaning that they weren't terrorists before this began. We've essentially turned Iraq into the extended campus af Al Queda University.

Another point to ponder is what we might be doing if the terrorists weren't keeping us busy in Iraq. What could we be doing with all of those resources to make this country safer and more secure? If they want to hit us badly enough, they can. After Katrina, I have serious reservations about how prepared we are.

Finally, isn't it just a little bit morally objectionable to to say that as long as the civilian who are being blown up are Arabs, they don't matter as much? Be assured that this is the message that the world is getting. The confirmed civilian deaths in Iraq now add up to more than a dozen 9/11s.
spiderbaby1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2006, 19:26   #27
spiderbaby1958
Major Dude

P.S. Sorry about the typos, but I'm working with a text browser, and it's giving me a huge headache. Please try to read around them.
Old 19th May 2006, 02:10   #28
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Quote:
Most of the insurgency in Iraq is native Iraqis,
Bullshit.
Most Iraquis like the freedoms they have now. Some rotten apples do exist, but most terrorist operating in Iraq right now are from all over the middle east.
Old 19th May 2006, 14:31   #29
Mattress
Forum King

url=http://www.commentarymagazine.com/Production/files/Taheri_0606.htm]this might be worth reading[/url] with regards to Iraq now vs. under Saddam, "the devil they knew"
Quote:
Since my first encounter with Iraq almost 40 years ago, I have relied on several broad measures of social and economic health to assess the countrys condition. Through good times and bad, these signs have proved remarkably accurateas accurate, that is, as is possible in human affairs. For some time now, all have been pointing in an unequivocally positive direction.

The first sign is refugees. When things have been truly desperate in Iraqin 1959, 1969, 1971, 1973, 1980, 1988, and 1990long queues of Iraqis have formed at the Turkish and Iranian frontiers, hoping to escape. In 1973, for example, when Saddam Hussein decided to expel all those whose ancestors had not been Ottoman citizens before Iraqs creation as a state, some 1.2 million Iraqis left their homes in the space of just six weeks. This was not the temporary exile of a small group of middle-class professionals and intellectuals, which is a common enough phenomenon in most Arab countries. Rather, it was a departure en masse, affecting people both in small villages and in big cities, and it was a scene regularly repeated under Saddam Hussein.

Since the toppling of Saddam in 2003, this is one highly damaging image we have not seen on our television setsand we can be sure that we would be seeing it if it were there to be shown. To the contrary, Iraqis, far from fleeing, have been returning home. By the end of 2005, in the most conservative estimate, the number of returnees topped the 1.2-million mark. Many of the camps set up for fleeing Iraqis in Turkey, Iran, and Saudi Arabia since 1959 have now closed down. The oldest such center, at Ashrafiayh in southwest Iran, was formally shut when its last Iraqi guests returned home in 2004.

A second dependable sign likewise concerns human movement, but of a different kind. This is the flow of religious pilgrims to the Shiite shrines in Karbala and Najaf. Whenever things start to go badly in Iraq, this stream is reduced to a trickle and then it dries up completely. From 1991 (when Saddam Hussein massacred Shiites involved in a revolt against him) to 2003, there were scarcely any pilgrims to these cities. Since Saddams fall, they have been flooded with visitors. In 2005, the holy sites received an estimated 12 million pilgrims, making them the most visited spots in the entire Muslim world, ahead of both Mecca and Medina.

Over 3,000 Iraqi clerics have also returned from exile, and Shiite seminaries, which just a few years ago held no more than a few dozen pupils, now boast over 15,000 from 40 different countries. This is because Najaf, the oldest center of Shiite scholarship, is once again able to offer an alternative to Qom, the Iranian holy city where a radical and highly politicized version of Shiism is taught. Those wishing to pursue the study of more traditional and quietist forms of Shiism now go to Iraq where, unlike in Iran, the seminaries are not controlled by the government and its secret police.

A third sign, this one of the hard economic variety, is the value of the Iraqi dinar, especially as compared with the regions other major currencies. In the final years of Saddam Husseins rule, the Iraqi dinar was in free fall; after 1995, it was no longer even traded in Iran and Kuwait. By contrast, the new dinar, introduced early in 2004, is doing well against both the Kuwaiti dinar and the Iranian rial, having risen by 17 percent against the former and by 23 percent against the latter. Although it is still impossible to fix its value against a basket of international currencies, the new Iraqi dinar has done well against the U.S. dollar, increasing in value by almost 18 percent between August 2004 and August 2005. The overwhelming majority of Iraqis, and millions of Iranians and Kuwaitis, now treat it as a safe and solid medium of exchange

My fourth time-tested sign is the level of activity by small and medium-sized businesses. In the past, whenever things have gone downhill in Iraq, large numbers of such enterprises have simply closed down, with the countrys most capable entrepreneurs decamping to Jordan, Syria, Saudi Arabia, the Persian Gulf states, Turkey, Iran, and even Europe and North America. Since liberation, however, Iraq has witnessed a private-sector boom, especially among small and medium-sized businesses.

According to the International Monetary Fund (IMF) and the World Bank, as well as numerous private studies, the Iraqi economy has been doing better than any other in the region. The countrys gross domestic product rose to almost $90 billion in 2004 (the latest year for which figures are available), more than double the output for 2003, and its real growth rate, as estimated by the IMF, was 52.3 per cent. In that same period, exports increased by more than $3 billion, while the inflation rate fell to 25.4 percent, down from 70 percent in 2002. The unemployment rate was halved, from 60 percent to 30 percent.
Old 19th May 2006, 18:49   #30
anandamide

It's scary as hell in Iraq. Fear rules. It's risky enough being a highly protected soldier there. Being a civilian there is roulette. Any journalist who works there is out of his or her mind, even with all the body-guards they are forced to work with.

The government there doesn't have the look of a true sovereign government. They come across as a weak puppet regime, not solid at all about what they are doing, not truly enthused because they know they were propped up from without.

Don't worry though. It's "mission accomplished", remember? So just accept that blindly while body bags continue to pile up. Make the terrorists work up even more hatred toward the US and be sure to keep that Mexican border open. Bush said "We're not going to militarize the border because Mexico is our friend." Since a friend is next door and millions of them have made their way in illegally, there's no reason to think that terrorists could make their way in with hand-held missile launchers, right? OK, all is well. Forget this thread then. Carry on with business as usual.

NO! Join the Stones and Neil Young and add to the musical peace movement. On the whole, the political conservatism of artists has been an embarassment. John Lennon is saying way more from the grave than most of you who are supposedly alive are saying.
Old 19th May 2006, 19:04   #31
Mattress
Forum King

Did you read anything of that link I posted/quoted?

Do you have any evidence to back up your claims?

If being a citizen there is roulette, then why are so many former Iraqi refugees (under Saddam) returning?
Quote:
By the end of 2005, in the most conservative estimate, the number of returnees topped the 1.2-million mark. Many of the camps set up for fleeing Iraqis in Turkey, Iran, and Saudi Arabia since 1959 have now closed down.
You think I blindly follow Bush, yet you don't have anything to back up yor claims. You think that rock stars are better informed than the government? that by leaving iraq and afghanistan will prevent any future terrorist attacks?
Old 19th May 2006, 19:34   #32
CaboWaboAddict
Forum Sot
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Did you read anything of that link I posted/quoted?
Me thinks anandamide is teh robo-troll.

Idiot's Advocate
Old 20th May 2006, 18:01   #33
anandamide

If that many anti-Saddam Iraqis are in fact returning there, it is because roulette gives a person a better chance at survival than opposing a brutal dictator, but as things stand now, it is roulette for the ENTIRE population there.

The Bush approach is causing terrorism to increase while leaving the homeland exposed, a very dangerous recipe, one that promotes ongoing war because if the homeland gets hit again, they'll have an excuse to continue their sick war and keep military-industrial complex people like Cheney smiling.

The smart approach would be forging solid steel homeland security while promoting friendship abroad by dropping the 'diplomatic A-Bomb' of substantial support for Palestine.

Let's see a robo-troll type something like that. 8>
Old 20th May 2006, 23:58   #34
SteveinIowa

Send a message via ICQ to SteveinIowa
Germany didn't attack us either

Germany didn't attack the U.S. either. Guess we should have stayed out of World War II. Bill Clinton, Al Gore, Ted Kennedy....all talked about the dangers of Iraq and the Weapons of Mass Destruction. Why don't you mention that? Just because a person ignores the facts (previous World Trade Center bombing, USS Cole, US Embassy in Beruit, etc) doesn't mean we were not in danger. Just because a person says Bush was wrong doesn't mean he was. I am so glad people (who ARE the minority) like you are not in control of our country...we'd be speaking German or dead. Wake up, grow up and get off of the stupid liberal bandwagon. Democrats are cool, liberals suck.
SteveinIowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2006, 00:22   #35
spiderbaby1958
Major Dude

Quote:
How can the war be ended now? If we leave Iraq and Afghanistan the war doesn't end. One side retreating doesn't end a war, both sides have to agree to stop killing each other.

Do you think Bin Laden and the other terrorists will stop attacking us?
Old 21st May 2006, 00:48   #36
spiderbaby1958
Major Dude

Goddamn this text browser! It misfired again. I keep pushing the wrong button. I'll fix this post sooner or later.
Old 21st May 2006, 02:54   #37
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

Has anyone changed sides yet? No? Funny. With all the arguing back and forth and Cabo's idiotic insults and retarded quips thrown in, you would think that one of you guys would totally change his mind after been blown away with someone elses information! Oh, wait. That's never happened in the history of mankind! Arguing over the internet is stupid, especially when it's about fucking politics. A simple Google search could back either side up a thousandfold, and it would all still be only as good as you think it is.

No one is going to admit defeat, why don't you guys just acknowledge that they think the other is wrong?

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Fickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2006, 04:20   #38
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Quote:
substantial support for Palestine.
You got to be kidding. Do you have any idea of the leanings of the government party?

Maybe the Arabs should be giving some support to the Palestinians, although the Arabs would rather see them rot in camps all over the middle east. Refugees after 40 years are not really refugees, are they. They are political play pieces, to be used when the opportunity presents itself.

At one time it used to be if territory was conquered during a war, too bad, you lost.

Israel, which was attacked from all sides a number of times and won (and did take territory in the process) was told to give it back. On whose authority? United Nations?
Sorry, but I don't believe in any authority for that goddammned organization, where most of the members don't believe in democracy.

And let's be fair, eh, Israel did give territory back to Egypt, after Egypt signed a peace treaty with them.

When are Syria, Jordan, others going to sign peace treaties?

Maybe they will also get their territory back that they lost because they made war on Israel.
Old 21st May 2006, 09:33   #39
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Wildrose-Wally
At one time it used to be if territory was conquered during a war, too bad, you lost.
You say it as if this is somehow better. We might as well measure the cock sizes of heads of state and declare that "fairness".

Edit:
There's two groups with semi-legitimate cases for having the land in question. Both sides would like to live in peace. Both sides have substantial numbers who believe that the best way towards peace is to kill the entire population of the other. The purpose of diplomacy is to ensure that this eventuality does not occur.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2006, 14:19   #40
NJK
The Frisian Spamfighter

Re: Germany didn't attack us either

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveinIowa
Guess we should have stayed out of World War II.
if the USA had done that than you'd be speaking Japanese now, and the whole of your country would be a provence of the great Nippon empire.

don't post things that "could have been or might have been" if they don't fit in the discussion at all.

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.

WINAMPSHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News