Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Mac Sync

Old 4th November 2011, 00:49   #1
Mikey1969

Question Before I waste a bunch of time, do any plugins work yet?

I know this is a Beta and all, but I wanted to check and see if any plug-ins are working yet.. Also, if not, I would suggest that someone maybe designate versions on the website so that people don't download a bunch of plug-ins, only to find out that they don't work on the Mac version. I will wait patiently until there are some plug-ins. Can't wait until I can skin this thing, and get some kind of mini player, for sure...

Either way, THANK YOU for finally making a Mac version, I can't wait until I can ditch iTunes completely, no need for Apple to get any more of my business than they absolutely need...
::
Mikey1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 09:45   #2
DrO

see my reply here about plug-ins support for this.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2011, 12:44   #3
Mikey1969

Well that's a total bummer, but thanks for the reply. I am curious though, what IS the primary aim of the Mac app, if having a Mac version of the PC app isn't it?
Old 4th November 2011, 13:10   #4
DrO

no idea on what the exact aim is other than what is shown on http://www.winamp.com/mac

considering any plug-ins for it would be starting from scratch (cannot simply port existing Winamp plug-ins to Mac do to most being so heavily tied to the Windows platform), it;ll never compare for the number of plug-ins anyway (as was always stated over the years if there was a direct port of the Desktop version - which this Mac version is not - is more akin to the Android app from how i understand it).

-daz
Old 4th November 2011, 13:29   #5
Mikey1969

Oh well... I'll still use it, but I was REALLY hoping for something that would replace iTunes, at least for playback. I have many other ways to get my music onto my Android, so I didn't need Winamp for that...

That's OK though, I'm still a fan and will just have to be patient... Hopefully some changes will be down the pipe and I will still have functionality on all 3 platforms from the same player software.
Old 8th November 2011, 04:21   #6
Mikey1969

But it says THIS on the forum page for Winamp for Mac:
"Help us build what we feel is the best media playback and management app on Mac!"

You can't have the "best" if your plans are to basically make it do almost nothing, and have no plans to make it anywhere as nice as the PC version, that just makes no sense whatsoever...

Winamp has SO much potential for those of us who don't use Macs because we are snobbsih people who think iTunes was handed down to Steve Jobs personally by God Himself...
Old 8th November 2011, 08:48   #7
DrO

i can only pass on what i've been told at the time (am already regretting having posted in this part of the forum as it's going to be like the Android one all over again) as i don't have any real dealings with the people working on this (hell i didn't even really know much about it until it was posted on the main site).

i am sure there is a plan / roadmap of what is going to go in. however i don't know what that is and i've only passed on what i was told about the plug-in side of things i.e. if it does happen it won't be soon.

Winamp for Mac is never going to be the same as Winamp for Windows. it could be made to sort of look like it but if plug-ins is what people want like the Windows version has (and will probably expect the exact same ones - i know that if a plug-in architecture appears then i'm pretty much not going to move any of mine over - is hard enough supporting what i've done on Windows with 0 freetime), then they are going to be sorely disappointed as you cannot go from 0 to 100 without any issues, etc and to also suddenly get people making plug-ins for something new (best modern equivalent is the app store model that everyone tried to hop but only a few stuck).

-daz
Old 8th January 2012, 17:10   #8
fc*uk

I know nothing about programming and don't really expect a reply back to this, but it seems to me that someone (not nullsoft) could write some sort of native mac plugin that provides use of windows plugins via darwine....

Finally got the time to download this.

This is a great start. Finally something other than iTunes and Vox (which has become buggy as hell and the developer has no more time it appears).

edit:
Just thought of hundreds of reasons why that would never work out; that's why I'm not a programmer.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Mac Sync

Tags
plug-ins, wishlist