(edit) and later uninstall ie (/edit)

jyvasaa
jyvasaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2002, 20:00   #43
Delicates

Send a message via ICQ to Delicates
Quote:
Originally posted by griffinn

Example #3: KPMG's corporate site. Again, probably caused by bad CSS support in Netscape.
That is totally untrue. Netscape 6+ is based on Mozilla. And W3C has previously stated that Mozilla has the *best* CSS support of all browsers. So it is actually crappy code that makes sites look bad, not Netscape.

Secondly I will urge you not to use Netscape, but use Mozilla instead.
Netscape 6.2.3 is based on Mozilla 0.9.4 which is over a year old now, while Mozilla 1.1 is probably going to be out if not today, then next week.

Netscape 7.0_PR1 is based on Mozilla 0.9.9 and whenever Netscape 7.0 comes out it probably will be based on Mozilla 1.0. But Mozilla 1.1 is quite a step forward featurewise compared to 1.0, so I still do recommend it instead.

The way around slow (though it is much faster now comparing to 0.9.4) startup time is simple and the same as IE uses - never close it. But then again, I'm connected to the net 24/7 and I don't mind it hanging 24/7 in my taskbar. Maybe you are different.

Why do I prefer using it to anything else? Security, power, flexibility and outstanding standards support which is enough to make you orgasm.

IE and Outlook Express are nothing but virus installation programs.

And IE web standards support right now is the *worst* of all browsers. (Except for IE for MacOS which deserves much respect)
Delicates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2002, 01:49   #44
BDA7DD

Send a message via ICQ to BDA7DD Send a message via AIM to BDA7DD Send a message via Yahoo to BDA7DD
Quote:
Originally posted by Delicates
Secondly I will urge you not to use Netscape, but use Mozilla instead.
I whole heartedly agree with this sentiment. I made the switch from Opera to Mozilla not too long ago, and I must say that I am in love with Mozilla. Many web pages which Opera couldn't handle were rendered PERFECTLY in Mozilla. Also, there isn't much third-party support for Opera in the way of plugins and such, where with Mozilla there are tons of plugins and other add-on features available for download, since plugins are developed both natively for Mozilla and for Netscape (which are compatible with Mozilla 99.9% of the time.)

The thing I also hate about Netscape is the bloat of it all. Mozilla has no bloat at all (with the exception of Composer, which is useless and unfortunately integrated,) where Netscape wants you to install AIM and all other sorts of AOL middleware crap. Netscape is basically just a cheap, effortless hack of a web browser. The people at Netscape just take Mozilla, load a bunch of crap onto it and call it a new web browser. Well, screw them. Mozilla is the real deal, my friends.

Quote:
Mozilla 1.1 is quite a step forward featurewise compared to 1.0
Damn straight. Especially the download manager and improved JavaScript filtering features. Gotta love Mozilla's built-in popup killer!

Quote:
The way around slow (though it is much faster now comparing to 0.9.4) startup time is simple and the same as IE uses - never close it.
Actually, just enable Quick Launch. It allows Mozilla to sit in your system tray when you're not using it. Needless to say, it does hog up resources, so only use it if you feel it's necessary.

Quote:
Why do I prefer using it to anything else? Security, power, flexibility and outstanding standards support which is enough to make you orgasm.
The security is amazing. Unlike IE which will allow web-based viruses to load themselves stealthily onto your system, Mozilla doesn't do anything without your prior consent. Mozilla is also a lot better than Internet Explorer when it comes to secure HTTP layers such as SSH and TLS due to its superior standards compliancy.

The power is mind-boggling. The JavaScript filtering is a feature which no browser should be without, a feature which allows you to prevent annoying things like popup windows and status bar scrollers from rearing their ugly faces with the click of a mouse button. The cookie control is also to die for. I always set Mozilla to only accept first-party cookies, and only accept them if it has my prior consent. If Mozilla comes across a cookie it hasn't seen before, it asks me if it's okay or not to accept it, and it remembers my decision for the next time. The power of Mozilla can all be summed up in one word: CONTROL. When you're using Mozilla, YOU are in control of your browser, not the other way around like it is with Internet Explorer.

As for standards complaincy... go and see for yourself why it kicks seven shades of ass: http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/demos.html

Quote:
And IE web standards support right now is the *worst* of all browsers.
The funniest part of that is how Microsoft completely denies the fact that Internet Explorer has such crappy standards support. They claim it to have full CSS1 and CSS2 support... LIES. Internet Explorer 6.0 does not have full support at all for CSS1 both and CSS2. As a matter of fact, all it has is core CSS1 and CSS2 support. That's CORE, not FULL. Learn the difference, Microsoft. The core of CSS1 and CSS2 are basically the "bare essentials," extremely small and limited parts of the entire specifications.

Oh, and how the hell can Microsoft claim to support open standards when they STILL haven't ditched support for the <MARQUEE> tag in Internet Explorer? At least Mozilla did the right thing when they said goodbye to the <BLINK> tag. God, I hated that damn thing.
BDA7DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2002, 06:35   #45
Delicates

Quote:
Originally posted by BDA7DD
The funniest part of that is how Microsoft completely denies the fact that Internet Explorer has such crappy standards support. They claim it to have full CSS1 and CSS2 support... LIES. Internet Explorer 6.0 does not have full support at all for CSS1 both and CSS2. As a matter of fact, all it has is core CSS1 and CSS2 support. That's CORE, not FULL. Learn the difference, Microsoft. The core of CSS1 and CSS2 are basically the "bare essentials," extremely small and limited parts of the entire specifications.
Actually they never claimed to have full support for CSS1 and CSS2. The IE 6.0 was a milestone release for them because it (finally) had full CSS1 support.
They never claimed to support CSS2. IE supports just a little of CSS2. Mozilla on the other hand has full support for CSS1, CSS2 *and* a lot of CSS3 which is currently in the Last Call Draft state.

However, the shameless claims by Microsoft that IE supports XHTML, is the funny thing here (everyone remembers the hillarious MSN incident). Not only IE does not recognise XHTML MIME type, but it also spews an error in XHTML DTD when parsed as text/xml!!! Basically it has *no* XHTML support at all!!! Shame, shame, shame.

Mozilla on the other hand supports XHTML brilliantly. It also has native support for many wonderful and powerfull standards (like MathML and MNG images), for which you need 3rd party plugins with other browsers.

The Unicode support is brilliant. You can check it at UTF-8 Sampler. IE fails to display most of it miserably. While if *any* font on your system has a needed character, Mozilla *will* find it and display it.

IE reign on the browser market is basically coming to an end. AOL is releasing both AOL 7 and Compuserve 7 based on Gecko engine (Mozilla) instead of IE. This is the muscle that brings wonders of Mozilla to millions and millions of Internet users. The same muscle that one day launched IE to where it is now. And the muscle that will urge webmasters to fix their broken code that works with IE and nothing else.
Old 17th August 2002, 10:13   #46
griffinn
Court Jester
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to griffinn
Update on the SSL flaw: The flaw is in Windows, not IE. The upcoming patch will therefore be applied to Windows 98, ME, NT, 2000 and XP.

The smiley slot machine! | Quotable Blog
griffinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2002, 21:31   #47
Delicates

Would be cool if you kept an unpatched holes count with your every post. That is how many holes in IE there currently are with no patches available to fix them.

Last time I heard someone do such count I think there was 14 security holes in it with no patches available.

Mozilla had a security hole once, and it got patched up within 24 hours.
Old 18th August 2002, 01:25   #48
griffinn
Court Jester
(Forum King)

There is already such a list somewhere.

I can't seem to locate a similar list for Mozilla, Opera, Galeon, K-Meleon etc. The simplistic theory is that they simply don't have security holes to keep a list for. But an equally valid alternative theory is they're just nowhere used as much as Internet Explorer, so the potential publicity you get for uncovering bugs in them is not as great.

Old 18th August 2002, 03:54   #49
NetAddict

Send a message via AIM to NetAddict
Everything has bugs

To all you people who are saying IE is not secure, okay, maybe it isn't the most well tested creation in the world, this I concede. However, only Internet Explorer has a decent patch system where users can download single libraries, instead of entire new releases to fix these flaws.

For all of the Netscape supporters out there, NS6 has a horrible load time, bad CSS, and is remotely exploitable (see GreyMagic's advisory on the XmlHttpRequest vulnerability here before you say NS6 is secure.

And for the Opera voices out there, have you already forgotten about the cross-frame scripting vulnerability discovered by Georgi Guninski in Opera 5, or the automatic file upload vulnerability in Opera 6 (which Opera released an entire new version to patch btw), or the OpenSSL buffer overflow in all versions of Opera to date (which Opera plan to release a new version for, AGAIN).

And, as for the IE-specific technology crap -- Microsoft cannot patent data between angle brackets, and still expect developers to use it in HTML pages, let alone charge for such technologies to be used by other developers.
And, remember how I said Netscape had bad CSS? Opera's CSS support is next to nil, and there are numerous bugs in the Opera CSS implementation as is. Further, Opera cannot support relative references (that is, operations with a property or method on the SET side of the operand) like ALL of its competitors can. A simple:

<script>
document.scripts.item(0).text = document.scripts.item(0).text;
</script>

will demonstrate this. This means Opera gives no ability to set object values, and I'm damn sure I read that in the W3C JavaScript standards...

And, as for the folks who are saying "x had a security hole once, but they patched it in bla" -- bull. Mozilla didn't patch the XmlHttpRequest hole for weeks, and Netscape were even more sluggish. Further, Opera still hasn't patched the weeks-old OpenSSL overflow.

The reason we hear of long waits on MS security patches is both because of the very large number of systems that *each patch* must be tested on, and because security "experts" feel they can gain a quick 15 minutes of fame by making MS look bad -- after all, they're products are more than twice as widely used as all of their competitors' combined...

Unpatched IE vulnerabilities is here

But, the same developer has been an equally vocal critic of Netscape in response to their horrendous handling of the XmlHttpRequest vulnerability.
NetAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2002, 22:54   #50
Delicates

Re: Everything has bugs

Quote:
Originally posted by griffinn
There is already such a list somewhere.
Thanks a lot!

Quote:
Originally posted by NetAddict
And, remember how I said Netscape had bad CSS? Opera's CSS support is next to nil, and there are numerous bugs in the Opera CSS implementation as is.
That is some of the most ignorant and uninformed statements I have ever read.

Quote:
Originally posted by NetAddict
And, as for the folks who are saying "x had a security hole once, but they patched it in bla" -- bull. Mozilla didn't patch the XmlHttpRequest hole for weeks, and Netscape were even more sluggish.
Unpatched IE vulnerabilities is here

But, the same developer has been an equally vocal critic of Netscape in response to their horrendous handling of the XmlHttpRequest vulnerability.
Even the page you are reffering to says that Mozilla patched that vulnerability within 24 hours. Also note that it was even patched prior to Mozilla 1.0 release.

At the moment, since Mozilla 1.0 release there was *no* known security vulnerabilities. While IE has 23 still *unpatched*.

Let me also point out once again that we here recommend using Mozilla, not Netscape, which are 2 different things.
Old 19th August 2002, 19:02   #51
BDA7DD

Send a message via ICQ to BDA7DD Send a message via AIM to BDA7DD Send a message via Yahoo to BDA7DD
You know, I'm starting to think that the "safety" and "security" provided by using an alternative browser (ie. not Internet Explorer) may have something else to do with it entirely. You see, the security experts and so-called "white-hat hackers" look for these security holes, root them out and report them. That's their job. However, it is also their job to find out the most important holes in the more popular software so that they can reach the masses quicker and help protect them.

Internet Explorer is arguably the most popular and the most used web browser in the world today. It comes preloaded and integrated with every Windows PC since Windows 98, and many people use Internet Explorer either out of ignorance that other browsers exist, or just that they don't want to be bothered with downloading and installing another web browser when they already have one.

With this said, the many parties involved with browser security will target Internet Explorer FIRST before trying to find any vulnerabilities in other browsers, simply because a security hole discovered and patched for Internet Explorer will help a hell of a lot more people than one for Mozilla or Opera or what have you.

This probably also applies to many other types of software. E-mail clients, for example. Outlook Express is apparantly the most "insecure" e-mail client out there. However, did it ever dawn on you that maybe that's because not too many people -- comparitively speaking -- could be bothered with probing Pegasus Mail, Eudora Pro and IncrediMail for security holes? Then again, the security holes in Outlook Express could also be on account of it being so tightly dependant on Internet Explorer, since it shares Internet Explorer's security settings and renders HTML messages with Internet Explorer, but that just takes us right back to my point about Internet Explorer being the top-priority browser for security experts and white-hat hackers.

For all we know, there could be tons of security holes out there for every browser. Internet Explorer, Mozilla, Netscape, Opera, K-Meleon, Galeon, Konquerer, you name it. The difference is that there are more people dedicated to finding holes in Internet Explorer than the other browsers. Metaphorically speaking, if there's a security hole in Mozilla, but nobody has yet discovered it, does it really exist at all?

Quote:
Let me also point out once again that we here recommend using Mozilla, not Netscape, which are 2 different things.
This deserves repeating for those of you who STILL DON'T FUCKING GET IT. Netscape is NOT Mozilla. Mozilla is NOT Netscape. GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEADS.
Old 23rd August 2002, 01:13   #52
griffinn
Court Jester
(Forum King)

Microsoft has released a cumulative patch for IE 5.x and 6.0. You can either download the patch then install it manually or obtain it through Windows Update.

This patch fixes the usual stuff involving <object> tags, ActiveX controls, cross-site scripting, and redirects, plus the Gopher bug that was reported in this thread 2 months ago(!).

Note that this patch does not contain a fix for the SSL implementation flaw discussed earlier. That fix is expected to be a Windows patch, not an IE one, because encryption services are implemented at the OS level and IE is merely a user of those services.

Old 23rd August 2002, 11:36   #53
BDA7DD

'Bout fucking time.
Old 24th August 2002, 17:35   #54
NetAddict

Send a message via AIM to NetAddict
Patch Speed/Unpatched Bugs

For all the people out there saying "Mozilla patched it in 24 hours", that is ridiculous. The vulnerability was hidden from the public eye for weeks, marked as "SECURITY-SENSITIVE" on Bugzilla.

btw the reason Microsoft have such "insecure" software is both because everybody targets them and because everybody wants to make MS look bad.

So-called "researchers" whose sole objective is to sell a product mis-represent the truth and make the wait from MS seem like it is MS' fault that they have thousands of different configurations to patch.

The reason MS has long patch times is because they have so many features that each patch has to work with.

Meanwhile, researchers continue to bash MS because it is "accepted" in the community to do so, and more people read their .sig of "Developer of..." when scrambling to patch as opposed to skimming through the article.
NetAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2002, 06:36   #55
Jaz

Send a message via AIM to Jaz Send a message via Yahoo to Jaz
I'd just like to say: with the ad blocker in Opera, that seems nice,
but I downloaded it and uninstalled 5 mins later: it has ads, full screen has no scroll bars (why would you not want scroll bars?) and I use adshield with ie, works even better, even blocks winamps ads...

its like netscape 4: the damned things can't be moved up, I use a small screen, alls I see is about this much with everything turned off:

thats how much space I see.

I'd advise going to http://adshield.org then go to google, find a decent hosts file and ad it to the block list. It turns off POPUPS. And you can turn it off, on, maintain block list with a right click...

I've been using IE since 3. To be honest I liked the look 3 had, but grew on 5.

Netscape was good in what? '93? Turned gay in 97+, (its hard to download the damned browser in the first place, smart update? just give me the fuckin link).

Now mozilla.... heard it was lovely... BUT I CAN'T USE THE STUPID INSTALLER....

So, I am download the zip, hopefully thats the same thing...????

I like the lil' dragon lizard thingy :-) and I just seen the default browser thing... I prefer IE. I don't wanna be pestered, does this turn off?

Mozilla gives me a flash back of netscape but a bit more speed :-)

IT MINIMIZES THE WINDOWS YAY... lol

Loads fast...

This one is the best alternative...
its free...
no ads
did I mention free?
And its like 2000000000 thousand times better than the rip off netscape copy cat garbadge...

It looks better anyway...

but yeah, about IE being pre installed, yah... most used... yah... and I feel IE isn't that bad... its great, does what it does, and deal with the troubles...

And Mozilla has a web developer option? SWEET. Image blocker, cookie blocker... sweet... (but I have the image, zoom in zoom out, etc from 3rd party things with IE, try the open frame in new window with IE, bet you can't do it :-) I CAN lol)

To be honest, I'd have to say the best alternative to IE is Well Mozilla... no 3rd party garbadge, "NETSCAPE" THE WAY IT SHOULD BE (YES I KNOW ITS NOT THE SAME, BUT IT LOOKS LIKE YAH KNOW 4 OR WHATEVER) Yeah, and it doesn't crash and slow down my computer like Opera. And note: I downloaded it all today.

Oh and on a side note: full screen mode works...

So forget paying 40 bucks for an ad free crap Opera, and try mozilla today...

This is my first impressions from using the browsers for 5 mins...

They work great, but Mozilla is the best alternative, decide for yer self,

and btw, the IE updates, I was vunerable to like that FTP thing... thanks for the updates, didn't know winamp had this type of info in the forums, and I've been using winamp for yrs... since like 99... I think...

(I am a 15 yr old kid, not wanting to buy a freakin browser, and not wanting garbadge either, I am a power user that hates ads, I hate pop ups, and I love zoom in zoom out, ad picture to block list, ad page to block list etc. I hate CRAP. So try what you want, this is a great place to learn new things... like IE having so many holes EEKK, and btw its 16 now, not 24 or whatever...) And dreamweaver is to RESOURCE HUNGRY to use... I'd rather code by hand. (FRONT PAGE is crap for those of you wanting to try it)

But thats all in preferences.

Keep the updates coming, and good luck with browser updates and likes and dislikes..

Jaz

Jaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2002, 06:42   #56
Jaz

The hosts file works with Mozilla too....

God I love this world....

Jaz

Old 25th August 2002, 11:53   #57
Schismx

Did you just say Opera slows down your computer?

I didn't know anyone still used 386's.
Schismx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2002, 01:08   #58
Jaz

I have a 386 computer with win95, and I have a 366!!!! PROCESSOR with ME. And if yer referring to me, no it doesn't slow it down, its just crap. Opera sucks, use IE, or maybe Mozilla.

Read before you post, 366 is not 386, a big difference...

if not for me, then DAHHH WHAT?

Jaz

Hey, this forum works like HTML? Sweet...

so would make it go in OH yeah... (I never use options with this :-) SWEETTT...

I found a new bad habit....
Old 26th August 2002, 10:55   #59
Schismx

Actually I meant a 386 cos you must have a really lame computer if Opera is slow for you. (Opera being the least resource intensive of all the browsers by far).
Old 26th August 2002, 17:13   #60
Jaz

Like I said before, read before you post, I never said it was slow,
just that it was GARBADGE, and by the way

256MB RAM, with an empty slow for more :-)
366 Intel Celeron Processor,
X86 Based System,
with a 5 GB drive and a 2 GB, slave
With 3 CD rom drive holders, 2 floppy drive holders.

I doubt its that bad. This was top of the line '4 yrs ago' Most newer-ish computers have less ram than that, this computer works fine. Opera isn't slow, its like any other browser, except its crap, and has ADS!!!!!

And yes, there is better are more costly computers, but I'm 15, how am I to afford a brand new computer with a 1.2 GHERTS Anthon or Duron processor... Think... THINK...

Come on now

Jaz
Old 26th August 2002, 17:22   #61
Schismx

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
To be honest, I'd have to say the best alternative to IE is Well Mozilla... no 3rd party garbadge, "NETSCAPE" THE WAY IT SHOULD BE (YES I KNOW ITS NOT THE SAME, BUT IT LOOKS LIKE YAH KNOW 4 OR WHATEVER) Yeah, and it doesn't crash and slow down my computer like Opera. And note: I downloaded it all today.
*shrugs*
Old 26th August 2002, 17:32   #62
Jaz

and with the lil thingy about crashing, it only does that with, lets see, mozilla, ie, winamp, aol, and tons of other things opened, how come it becomes so shitty with nothing left? I try to download stuff from it, it messes up, I try to go to an enhanced site, it messes up,
tripod sites, sure, if it can't handle the stuff I want to display, and it crashes (crashes, hmm, my system doesn't stop responding, my computer doesn't restart, it becomes shitty :-) )BECAUSE OF THAT, thats slow, and shitty, but no it doesn't slow my COMPUTER down literally. Learn me, know me, and don't patronize me for who I am... :-), if you notice, most people aren't power users, are you one with yer 2000 dolla computer and preppy clothes :-) (just playin, I dunno)

Anyways, New Subject, I'm not replying to this anymore,

Opera Sucks, even if its the best for hand helds,
it costs money, and not all want to pay for a browser that doesn't support the non-things, and its not supported for small viewed screens (trust me), and you can't get rid of the things (bars) like in netscape, mozilla, and IE. Live and learn, then you stick with what you like.

So no more on what I say, and just use what you like, you like downloading new browsers when you got dialup, can't use things like GO!ZILLA (even if it is spyware), and the like? But you have a decent one installed ALREADY, most peeps are lazy, I take care of the computers in the house, win95! win98! winME! YAY... And by the way, winamp 2.72 works in a 33 MHERTS enviroment, just, uh not that well

I may be wrong with what I say, or what others think, but I feel IE is the best out there, with Mozilla second in line. And this is a good place for updates too

Jaz Winamp User for life :-)
Old 26th August 2002, 17:52   #63
Schismx

BTW, to get scrollbars in fullscreen mode, press Ctrl+F7
Old 27th August 2002, 19:39   #64
Delicates

Mozilla 1.1 is out.

By the way apart from Image Blocking, Mozilla has popup windows blocking, status bar link text blocking, and so on...

You want add-ons for Mozilla? Sure! Knock yourself out! Over 80 projects. Skins and everything.

Especially I recommend checking out Optimoz. It's Mouse Gestures and Pie Menus should blow you away.

And if Mozilla's built-in tabbed browsing support is not enough for you, there's always MultiZilla.

I'm not sure if all these projects will work with new sizzling-hot 1.1 release though. They might require 1.0
Old 28th August 2002, 12:19   #65
BDA7DD

EDIT: Crap, beaten to it.
Old 30th August 2002, 10:32   #66
griffinn
Court Jester
(Forum King)

Microsoft has issued a patch to fix an exploit that would allow a malicious website or HTML mail to wipe out your cryptographic certificates (used for SSL web transfer and S/MIME e-mails). Details are here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec...n/ms02-048.asp

Windows 98/ME/NT4/2000/XP are all affected. You can download a patch for your version of Windows from the link above. It should also be available from Windows Update shortly.

This one is actually a Windows patch, because (as previously mentioned) cryptographic functions areimplemented in Windows and IE is a mere user of those functions. However I cover it here nonetheless because IE is tightly coupled with the cryptographic functions in Windows.

Old 31st August 2002, 00:50   #67
dylman
Forum King

Thanks, Griff. Keep up the good work, it's appreciated.

There's no need to tell me when I'm right;
I operate on that principle exclusively and with absolute certainty
dylman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2002, 02:24   #68
Jaz

SO THATS HOW YOU GET SCROLL BARS IN FULL SCREEN. Do you have to do that everytime you get full screen?

I dunno, but thanks, don't see why they assume EVERY person has that scroll on their mouse... Its costs extra and we have to replace our mouse every 2-4 yrs anyway.

Yeah, about the 80+ projects for mozilla, isn't it true there is only like 8 skins?

But the Tiny skin is sweet :-)

Oh well, thanks for the 411!!! MUHAHAHA

Jaz Winamp User For Life
Old 31st August 2002, 02:50   #69
Jaz

Optimoz is cool.... Try it, the dude knows what he is talking about, this makes me love Mozilla even more...

But IE is still for me...

For now

Jaz Winamp User For Life
Old 31st August 2002, 05:54   #70
BDA7DD

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
don't see why they assume EVERY person has that scroll on their mouse...
I think what they're assuming is that every person has arrow keys on their keyboards. I could be wrong, though.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
isn't it true there is only like 8 skins?
LIES.
Old 31st August 2002, 19:09   #71
Jaz

I love doing that

Yeah, but that wastes time with the key board... its the MOUSE DAMN IT lol. (Shift and Space kick ass too TRY IT!)

YAY! DIRECT LINKS TO THEM DAMN IT! I only managed to find like 20 on my own, (to lazy...)

And on assuming, they assumned EVERYBODY used the keyboard to go up down left and right. Thats to slow and not precise enough (SPACE AND SHIFT BABY). I wasn't thinking of the keyboard cuz who the hell in their right mind wouldn't use the damned bars to go up and down? I use a tribrid of options. Keyboard, MOUSEEEEEE, and space (Well this is Keyboard2). But I rarely use anything other than mouse. They assume to much, and its not custimizable to my needs... I don't want to look up how to make the bars appear, I don't want to have to pay for it to have a decent view on the screen. There're a cheap company trying to jip people into buying its decent payed software. Its good for some things, just not for me :-) HEH...

But Mozilla is FINE. Nothing stupid :-). Its slower than IE, on this computer, but barely noticeable. Operas fine for those of you who like it. :-)

http://themes.mozdev.org/ this site only has 16 anyways.

http://mozilla.deskmod.com/?show=sh...at_name=mozilla

what about that site? You gotta log on to get em? or just search? I can't find them in a few mins. Isn't this the site with 8! GRRR..

Im still searching that fuckin deviant site... its a bullshit site too. Im not much of a skinner, but come on, at least I got a msn lookalike for yahoo .... lol

I dunno, seems like decent sites, go there for the skins they got, Im short on time, so its not easy to speed search with ease. Nice looks, perfect for skins,

and yes, if your not into the damned things, no one would of found these sites easily, I only found the second one, then the top one later after I posted, so they expect people to be into them. Thats an OUCHY on my part, but thats me,

perfect sites for mods, skins, etc for anything, and everything.

Jaz Winamp User For Life
Old 1st September 2002, 19:11   #72
BDA7DD

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
Its slower than IE, on this computer, but barely noticeable.
You may want to enable "Quick Launch". Just to warn you, it does take up a bit of memory, but if you have a lot of that to spare then by all means enable it. Click on the Advanced options in Mozilla's preferences and choose "Keep Mozilla in memory to improve startup performance." By doing this, Mozilla will start up just as quickly as Internet Explorer, if not quicker. You even get a neat little Mozilla tray icon.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
http://themes.mozdev.org/ this site only has 16 anyways.
16 good ones, that is. Sky Pilot is my personal favourite, and is the theme I'm using right now as I post this. Try it out, I'm sure you'll love it. Other good ones to try are Orbit Retro and LCARStrek (if you're a Trekkie like me, you'll adore that last one.)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
http://mozilla.deskmod.com/?show=sh...at_name=mozilla

what about that site? You gotta log on to get em? or just search?
???

I've never had to log into anything to get themes from this site. There's a link on every theme listed there that says "Install". It's at the bottom of every theme description, next to a link that says "Large View". Just click those links to install your themes.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
Im still searching that fuckin deviant site... its a bullshit site too.
You DID NOT just call DeviantArt a "bullshit site." Repent, sinner!

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
and yes, if your not into the damned things, no one would of found these sites easily
I'm guessing you've never clicked the "Get New Themes" button in the Appearance -> Themes section of the Mozilla preferences. If you did, you'd have seen the first two links I posted. As for DeviantArt, it's pretty much assumed that any skin fanatic knows about that site .
Old 4th September 2002, 21:57   #73
Signal Box

Hmm, I remember reading news somewhere that AOL plans to make the software they use to intergrate better with Netscape. Any truth to it?I knows it seems obvious since Netscape is pratically AOL. Personally, I don't like it, though. Will this also affect software relations with IE?

-Signal Box-
Signal Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2002, 22:07   #74
BDA7DD

Quote:
Originally posted by Signal Box
Hmm, I remember reading news somewhere that AOL plans to make the software they use to intergrate better with Netscape. Any truth to it?
They're completely redesigning the AOL software so that the upcoming AOL 8.0 will be built on the Gecko rendering engine. That said, we can assume that the AOL browser which is integrated into the AOL software will be replaced with a modified version of Netscape, since Netscape is built on the Gecko rendering engine (as is Mozilla.)

This won't affect any other software, just the AOL software, so you don't need to worry about it screwing up anything else you have installed on your system. Even if you have Mozilla or Netscape already installed when you install AOL 8.0, it still won't be affected, since those are external applications and are not integrated with the AOL software.
Old 5th September 2002, 07:32   #75
griffinn
Court Jester
(Forum King)

Microsoft has released a patch for Windows NT 4.0 and XP (but not yet for 98/ME/2000) for the SSL certificate chain validation flaw reported here earlier.

TechNet article about the flaw
Patch for Windows NT 4.0 and Windows XP

Old 5th September 2002, 19:51   #76
Signal Box

Quote:
Originally posted by BDA7DD

They're completely redesigning the AOL software so that the upcoming AOL 8.0 will be built on the Gecko rendering engine. That said, we can assume that the AOL browser which is integrated into the AOL software will be replaced with a modified version of Netscape, since Netscape is built on the Gecko rendering engine (as is Mozilla.)

This won't affect any other software, just the AOL software, so you don't need to worry about it screwing up anything else you have installed on your system. Even if you have Mozilla or Netscape already installed when you install AOL 8.0, it still won't be affected, since those are external applications and are not integrated with the AOL software.
Thanks. Though I think it will be no improvement aesthetically if the look remains the same. I always use external browsers anyway.

-Signal Box-
Signal Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2002, 19:33   #77
Jaz

Yep.

Thanks for the Information heh :-). And as for quick enable, I know of it, but I use Mozilla for Browser-FTP. Its the best for it. :-) And its only a second or so so the delay is not a problem. So a few 'uses' every couple days is no biggy.

Nah, not a theme fanatic. Just a user. I learned of Mozilla only a few months ago. Always disliked Netscape for some odd reason (who doesn't...)

AOL is crap, yet my parents still use it. Dynamic IP's seem nice... but Firewalls are fine, and you yeah. $26 US is it now to use AOL? We still use 5.0. They won't update to get rid of the bug where it dials twice. I'd rather use NetZero.

Oh and about the little sin, I was mad cuz I didn't feel like looking.
I repent!!!! Its a great site. Plenty of "crap" (thats a good thing) for all things. Deviant is great.

And I hate icons, desktop items, and the like. Winamp is sweet with None, and always on top. :-) Stays outta the way and still works great. Does '3' still have this option? I haven't had to much testing going on. Cuz clicking the playlist window to maxmize it to change the song is great, then minimize it to a bar to see song title. It doesn't block the 3 corner program buttons up top, nor the menus. So it works for me. Hopefully its still integrated in '3'.

And why doesn't classic change the playlist window in '3'? The light color hurts my eyes. I know its to be a new program, but others still like the FULL classic look. Such as me . So make the colors change, but keep the newish options, got it? But wrong place to post???

Yes I know of installing with the links in the mozilla website. I'm just new to the site. I was asking WHERE TO FIND THEM. Not how to download. But its pretty organized, and by the way, I use the wood theme and that one Small one? whats it called?:-).

Is AOL still giving away all those "free software" cds? Since we became a user, we don't recieve as MANY.

And with the Integration of the Modified Mozila (Netscape) with the Gecko engine in AOL, does that mean it will take longer to start up AOL? Just wondering.

Ever install IE from the aol cd? lol I hate that AOL icon where the windows icon should be, and America Online at the top of the <title>Title</title> bar with Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Is the 98/ME/2000 SSL update to come soon? Thanks for keeping us posted.

Thats all for now.

"Just cuz I'm wrong, doesn't mean your right." :-) Misquoted on purpose from somewhere.

Jaz Winamp User For Life
Old 7th September 2002, 08:28   #78
BDA7DD

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
I learned of Mozilla only a few months ago. Always disliked Netscape for some odd reason (who doesn't...)
I'm confused by this. Are you referring to Netscape as being Mozilla, and vice versa? Because if so, you need to re-read this thread a few more times. Netscape is NOT Mozilla. If not, I apologize in advance for misinterpreting.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
AOL is crap
Come on man, that's just like saying "water is wet". It's just common knowledge that goes without saying.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
Dynamic IP's seem nice...
AOL is using dynamic IPs now? Last time I heard they were still having to use those AOL proxies since they had so many customers and not enough possible unique IP addresses on the entire Internet to give to everyone. Has this changed?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
Firewalls are fine
Exactly WHAT do firewalls have to do with AOL in particular? Don't tell me AOL has some brand new fancy pants integrated firewall feature, because if so, I'd be willing to bet my cock that it's got more holes in it than the contents of my sock drawer.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
by the way, I use the wood theme and that one Small one? whats it called?:-).
Wood theme? Excellent choice, sir. I am a fan of that as well. As for the small one... is it Pinball you are thinking of? Whatever it is, you can check the names of the themes you have installed by going into your preferences.

Once again, I strongly recommend Sky Pilot. It is my most favourite Mozilla theme at the moment. Very stylish and very "comfortable" (ie. the interface is actually USABLE, unlike a lot of others where everything is all over the place and the backgrounds blend in too much with the buttons.)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
And with the Integration of the Modified Mozila (Netscape) with the Gecko engine in AOL, does that mean it will take longer to start up AOL? Just wondering.
Not really. The AOL software still takes its time to load up now, because it loads all the other useless AOL crap and not just the AOL browser when you run it. Chances are it'll actually IMPROVE the startup time of the AOL software since the Gecko rendering engine is pretty damn fast.

You're probably still comparing the startup time of Mozilla to Internet Explorer, which is NOT a very intelligent comparison seeing as Internet Explorer is integrated into Windows 98 and above, and therefore is ALWAYS loaded into memory and ready to run. Mozilla loads itself into memory when you start it up and releases itself from memory when you close it down unless you use the Quick Launch feature. Just so you know, this is the proper right way for any program to behave, so it isn't a flaw in Mozilla. Wouldn't you hate it if every program you THOUGHT you closed or THOUGHT you never opened was running in the background, hogging up resources and lagging your system to a crawl? See what I mean?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
America Online at the top of the <title>Title</title> bar with Microsoft Internet Explorer.
Ha ha ha, I hate that too. That's what's known as "browser branding," and the only way to get rid of it is with a registry hack. Besides, why the fuck would you want to install IE from the AOL CD in the first place? It's already included in Windows 95 and up (fortunately for you Windows 95 users (yes, I'm talking to both of you,) IE is an optional component,) and you can easily upgrade to the latest version by going to Windows Update.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaz
Jaz Winamp User For Life
You really should just put that in your sig. It'll save you the hassle of having to type it in every one of your posts, and it'll save us the hassle of having to trim your posts when we quote you.
Old 9th September 2002, 01:31   #79
Jaz

GRRRRRRR. It said I learned of Mozlilla a few months ago. NOT NETSCAPE. I used Netscape in the early 90's. Netscape is a cheap rip off of the Gecko Engine thing. The same thing Mozilla uses. (Heres the break down, Netscape is using the Gecko Engine with the crap, ie: the stupid messenger thing, and Mozilla is using the gecko engine and is something else, made by... users!?!?! and doesn't have all that crap.) Thats correct, right?

Yep, that "AOL is crap" Is common Knowlodge.

With "Dynamic IP's seem nice... but Firewalls are fine, and you yeah.", it was just saying they are nice, then the rest. Shouldn't of been there Like a two thing sentence with "to be continued" a second thought, my mistake.

(I dunno if they have them or not, I didn't read the plan, they prolly have cheap proxys like you said)

I don't have a firewall WITH AOL, but I use outside ones, everyone knows AOL doesn't have one, or do they? .

Oh, well, I am a kid. Its not slow :-). And quick enable does improve it, and I know of backgroud running programs.

And, with my signature, I wasn't sure how to change it, cuz the original thing is something different, (new to winamp forums )

And that article is funny. From that one dude:
"We all suck." LOL.

AND SORRY FOR ANY STUPID WRONG INFORMATION!!!

Shouldn't be to much??

How do you change your profile, signature, and so on anyway? I just log in and post... Is it that 'My Control Panel' thing?

I'll figure it out.

Jaz (none of the other crap)
Old 9th September 2002, 01:42   #80
Jaz

OHHHH yeah.

Why would I install from an AOL cd anyway? I wonder... Lets see:

I have a PC in my room. An old Win95 OS.

It had 3.0 or something of IE.

I didn't have the Install disk.

To old to upgrade to ME, 98.

No internet connection, so does it really matter with windows update?

What was I to do?

WHY YES!!! The AOL cd.... it has an upgrade!!!

So I use 5.0 in my win95 os.

No Internet. But... I use it to debug a few webpages I make.

3.0 DOESN'T EVEN SUPPORT CSS, DOES IT?

I know of the hack, just to lazy to do it. (Just run regedit and follow any basic downloadable instructions. "The Internet Has Infinite Possibilities" )

I use 5.5 with SP2 on ME and WIN98SE heh
Didn't even bother with 6... HOW does that look anyway? I don't care. As my Computer Illiterate dad says: If it works, use it, no need to upgrade.

(For some odd reason, Browser ftp doesn't work with IE... And its a hassle to use an outside program... so MOZILLA IS DA BOMB BABY)
Thats all.

Jaz
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News