Old 29th March 2002, 02:58   #1
Tw3NTy0n3

Send a message via AIM to Tw3NTy0n3
why linux is better!

Alright, first off, Linux is way more powerful than any microsoft OS. Linux is much much more customizable than Windows will ever be. You can do unimaginable things with Linux as for Microsoft OS's , you have to go by the rules, all these blue screens, alot of errors because of one thing or another. Just to tell you, i havent had one error message since i first got Linux, it never froze on me, it never gave me hassle, its like a man, and Microsoft OS's look like a chick on her period.
Tw3NTy0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2002, 10:41   #2
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

However:

1) Linux is a bitch to use and configure

2) Linux has no decent software

3) Windows is a much better deal

4) Windows is more newbie friendly

5) Linux plane sucks
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2002, 10:45   #3
YtseJam
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to YtseJam Send a message via AIM to YtseJam
1) That just means you're incompetent.

2) Only thing Linux is lacking is games support, educational tools and a little bit more work on KOffice("MS-Office") -- All of these things are being taken care of as I write this, btw.

3) Money-wise? Eh?

4) True.

5) Do you live on Mars? And it's "plain", not "plane".
YtseJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2002, 16:07   #4
Aeroe
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Aeroe
hell... linux's nice little kernel can be as stable as it likes.

the problem is that the bulk of software is unreliable, very buggy, turns into vaporware and causes CRASHES. that's even if you can figure out how to compile it, or find the millions of dependencies it needs if you have an rpm.
also kde and gnome are still bug infested messes, and it's unreliability runs far short of the uptime i can get with xp.

it's still too far from the desktop, or the large home users market. i know it's improving there, as MS loses it's grip. give it a couple more years and we'll have some real competition to the desktop windows os.
Aeroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2002, 16:27   #5
Flynnz
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Flynnz Send a message via AIM to Flynnz Send a message via Yahoo to Flynnz
The only time I've had to reboot my [WinXP] computer is when I've installed some new hardware/Windows/IE updates. After all my tweaking, I'd be willing to put it up against any Linux box in terms of stability.

PS: CAN WE PLEASE FUCKING LEAVE CRAP OUT OF THIS GODDAMN FORUM--IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE FUCKING NEWS!#!@$!@@#%$#@@##@ GOD!^^&!
Flynnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2002, 13:02   #6
winsocker

LINUX IS FOR PRO'S

LINUX IS FOR PROFESSIONALS NOT KIDDIES

XP HAS A BUG WHICH F**KS H/DRIVES, I KNOW 3 PEOPLE WHO BOUGHT DIRECT FROM DELL AND ALL HAVE RETURNED THEIR PC'S AND CHANGED THEIR OS
winsocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2002, 16:38   #7
Bilbo Baggins

Quote:
Originally posted by nant
1) That just means you're incompetent.

2) Only thing Linux is lacking is games support, educational tools and a little bit more work on KOffice("MS-Office") -- All of these things are being taken care of as I write this, btw.

3) Money-wise? Eh?

4) True.

5) Do you live on Mars? And it's "plain", not "plane".

1) Yes I am incompetant.
2) Linux also lacks commercial support. I do not see Linux when I go to my local software vendor, yet I can still see Windows ME.
3) I can't remember what I was on about.
4)
5) English is not my first language.
Old 2nd April 2002, 17:38   #8
Aeroe
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Aeroe
i see about eight linux distros on the shelves at bestbuy and circuit city. along with a dozen games and a couple dozen other programs. it's still not nearly good enough.
the good thing is that you can download just about everything you need, which favors the minority on broadband.

i would believe germany would have a larger selection, they seem like tech geeks like us fat hoosiers.
Aeroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2002, 22:54   #9
sub1zero
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo Baggins

1) Yes I am incompetant.
2) Linux also lacks commercial support. I do not see Linux when I go to my local software vendor, yet I can still see Windows ME.
3) I can't remember what I was on about.
4)
5) English is not my first language.
Your just another loser that just hates microsoft for no reason at all and linex really blows anyway its hard to use hard to find drivers for and barely anything works with this peice of garbage you call an OS
sub1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2002, 00:10   #10
winsocker

HARD FOR A SCRIPT KIDDIE
Old 5th April 2002, 08:45   #11
dopey

Send a message via ICQ to dopey
Quote:
Originally posted by Aeroe
hell... linux's nice little kernel can be as stable as it likes.

the problem is that the bulk of software is unreliable, very buggy, turns into vaporware and causes CRASHES. that's even if you can figure out how to compile it, or find the millions of dependencies it needs if you have an rpm.
also kde and gnome are still bug infested messes, and it's unreliability runs far short of the uptime i can get with xp.

it's still too far from the desktop, or the large home users market. i know it's improving there, as MS loses it's grip. give it a couple more years and we'll have some real competition to the desktop windows os.
Bolloz, linux has everything windoze offers and more. The kernel is rock solid. Its strange people try to compare linux uptimes with windows put a windows machine under starin and put a linux machine under strain windows will buckle like the bitch it is. windows xp is just win2k with a different gui. Trust me windows will never be able to compare with *nix uptimes. Why hasent windows cornered the server market if their os is so stable and easy to use ?.
Why does the head developer of id software use *nix ? why is it the best mods plugins etc are coming out of sourceforge ? Why is it sun and ibm both have pledged supprt to linux ?.
Kde and Gnome are not bug infested your talking complete crap. kde is gonna be on 3 in a couple of months and gnome on 2 have u seen the screenshots. Man they are looking more and more excellent day by day and also there is more alternatives than just these 2 theres fluxbox enlightenment i can be bothered to go into the full list because theres too many and most of them excellent. As for rpm dependency never had that problem i use debian the package management is the best by far from any other os. It makes windows update look like a joke.
And going on about games support check out
http://www.transgaming.com
hey guess what directx 8 is nearly completely ported to linux. ID software has been supporting the linux community for a while and every game they make they port to linux aswell including rtcw. Which runs better on my linux box than it does on my brothers windows box and he has the newer hardware.

with winamps offerings to the linux community all i can see is things getting better.
And with suns upcoming star office 6 i see a mean and pwerful tux to a weak and feeble billG.

v
dopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2002, 14:14   #12
winsocker

AMEN! BRINGON THE "LINAMP"

LINAMP "It really whips BG's ASS!"
Old 6th April 2002, 14:46   #13
baafie
feminazi
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally posted by Flynnz
PS: CAN WE PLEASE FUCKING LEAVE CRAP OUT OF THIS GODDAMN FORUM--IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE FUCKING NEWS!#!@$!@@#%$#@@##@ GOD!^^&!
What exactly do you mean with 'crap'? Is Linux what you call crap? Or is it just something you aren't familiar with so you just go ahead and call it crap?
So you feel this is a 'god damn' forum. Indeed this is a news forum, but does that mean we can't have discussions on 'new' Operating Systems?
I don't know what the hell is wrong with you but if you don't like it hear just take yourself and your shit the fuck out of here.
baafie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2002, 21:19   #14
Bilbo Baggins

Quote:
Originally posted by sub1zero

Your just another loser that just hates microsoft for no reason at all and linex really blows anyway its hard to use hard to find drivers for and barely anything works with this peice of garbage you call an OS
At least i am not a loser who has to jakk off to 80 year old grandmas fucking little boys in their tight assholes

I personally like MS, and their OS. Maybe you are a miscreant who thinks it is fun and cool to hate the company that allows the majority of computer users to use their computers, but I am not one of you.

SHIZZLE MY NIZZLE.
Old 7th April 2002, 03:10   #15
sKyZ

Send a message via AIM to sKyZ
My Ideas About OS's

Alright, I use both linux and windows 2000 SP2. They both have their good points but I would like to say....LINUX KICKS MICROSOFTS ASS ANY DAY OF THE GODDAMNED YEAR...

First off I'd like to say that windows programs can be ran in linux with a little time and effort using VMware or WINE [theres a few others that I don't feel like listing.] These programs will simulate or load windows so you can run just about any win32 program. [I'd like to see windows run some linux programs ]

And about your XP box being secure/better uptime/performence I'd like to say thats a bunch of bull. I've used winXP Pro and all that it is is WIN2K with a 1000MB version of WindowBlinds. One word for all you Windows lovers = Pimp.c

For all you people that whine that it's too hard to use/configure/figure out I'd like to say that I'm a 15 year old kid and I can use it with ease. Sure in the begining it can be a pain but, so is watching windows install for the 10th time and you know your just gunna have to install it again because it will either crash during installation or your gunna get another virus because you were too stupid to update your virus scanner or haven't figured out how to use sysedit and regedit [hey, your an idiot. why else are you using windows?]

This bringing me to another thing. There are _TONS_ of viruses written for windows. Linux does have some but not nearly as many. This making it more secure and safer to use. Windows is also full of exploits and other holes [Netbios, Netbus, Subseven, ILOVEYOU, IIS, \con\con just to name a few.]

I'm more than willing to help anyone who wants to make the big leap over to linux and enjoy the world of great uptimes, more configuriation, and speed that can kill windows in one shot.
But for the rest of you I'll understand that your too scared that a 15 year old kid will outsmart you and you feel bad to ask for help.
Just don't come running to me when you want an account.

Enjoi
-sKyZ
E-Mail: sKyZ@Adelphia.Net
IRC: Datoware.Homeip.Net:6667 #Datoware [Nick: sKyZ]
AIM: zZsKyZz

P.S. - There is a winamp for linux. It's called XMMS and it can use winamp skins
sKyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2002, 12:22   #16
Bilbo Baggins

Quote:
great uptimes, more configuriation, and speed
Yes, Windows XP does provide these luxuries.
Old 7th April 2002, 13:29   #17
c2R
Stereotype?
(Forum King)

Quote:

Yes, Windows XP does provide these luxuries.
So does NT4... I've been running an NT4 server for over a year with the need to restart only twice. Neither of these were to do with the OS itself, once was when I went away to Europe for a month I saw little point with leaving it running and using up electricity, and the other was when there was an actual power cut. Basically Micorosft's bad reputation is mainly down to the buggyness and instability of the Windows 9x line, in particular Windows ME.
c2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2002, 14:14   #18
baafie
feminazi
(Major Dude)

Re: My Ideas About OS's

Quote:
Originally posted by sKyZ
I'm more than willing to help anyone who wants to make the big leap over to linux and enjoy the world of great uptimes, more configuriation, and speed that can kill windows in one shot.
But for the rest of you I'll understand that your too scared that a 15 year old kid will outsmart you and you feel bad to ask for help.
Just don't come running to me when you want an account.

Enjoi
-sKyZ
E-Mail: sKyZ@Adelphia.Net
IRC: Datoware.Homeip.Net:6667 #Datoware [Nick: sKyZ]
AIM: zZsKyZz

P.S. - There is a winamp for linux. It's called XMMS and it can use winamp skins

Yes I would like to make the leap to Linux. However, since this is a 'public' computer I would like my original xp installation to run as usual. Is this possible? Using partitions methinks.
On another note, I do want to be able to use my internet connection as before, and of course Trillian
Old 7th April 2002, 15:49   #19
sKyZ

Linux

You can partition your computer to have linux running and as for trillian there is a program just like it called GAIM [http://gaim.sourceforge.net] and it supports all the things that trillian does [maybe more?] as for everything else just look it up
-sKyZ
Old 7th April 2002, 20:51   #20
baafie
feminazi
(Major Dude)

Which Linux distro would you recommend?
Old 7th April 2002, 21:43   #21
dopey

if your a complete newbee
probably mandrake 8.2 or the new suse
i think its 6.3.

by the way is that your actual picture ? because you look really nice

v
Old 7th April 2002, 23:02   #22
sKyZ

yeah

or try out qnx [qnx.com] or redhat
Old 8th April 2002, 05:09   #23
baafie
feminazi
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally posted by vslick22
if your a complete newbee
probably mandrake 8.2 or the new suse
i think its 6.3.

by the way is that your actual picture ? because you look really nice

v
No, it's a picture of a forums member, lilvixen

I needed a hot girl for the hot girls for avatars army.
Old 25th April 2002, 02:25   #24
miniguinea

Linux is more stable then windows. I've used both, windows is easier to use, but once it starts crashing you have to reformat. Xp has crashed on my machine.. I will say its a lot more stable then other microsoft products but it will start crashing on you eventually. What I do when windows start crashing is format and reinstall and everything is fresh. I partition my drives and put my mp3s, documents and important things like that on seperate partitions, so when I format I do not lost them and I just have to reinstall all my programs, then everythings great for about 6 months then my computer slows down and starts crashing and I have to do the same thing again.... you dont have to do this with linux...I have a 700 mhz amd running XP and a 166 mhz intel running linux, I've had linux on that machine for over 3 years and its never crashed on me. granted I do use my windows machine more.
miniguinea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2002, 17:15   #25
angelus35

Send a message via ICQ to angelus35 Send a message via AIM to angelus35 Send a message via Yahoo to angelus35
In my opinion the two operating systems have very different purposes.

I believe Windows to be a good basic server operating system and a superior Workstation/Home PC operating system.

From a server standpointk, Windows NT based OS's are easier to configure and are more effecient in configurations (it's plain easier). That can save a company a lot of time and money. I heavily respect Linux in it's serving abilities too. In itself, the Linux kernal is a very stable set of code; however it doesn't do anything. A kernal that is more stable than another isn't too much to speak of. Linux has the ability to be a very powerful server platform because it can be very customized to a specific need. If you want to make a web server, you install Apache and be done with it. You don't have the extra overhead of the other NT processes (although most of which can be tweaked to only start what you need).

From a Workstation/Home PC level, Linux has a lot to be desired. It's very difficult to understand from a beginning user point of view. Linux doesn't have a corporate overhead which makes it's software distribution very unorganized. This is an issue when it comes to getting updates to software and bugs. This also makes it difficult to find help when you're new to the OS. With that being said, I'd definatly say you want see a large market share for Linux on the desktop computer for quite some time. As for a workstation at the office; it all comes down to communication. I can't forsee a legitmate business installing Linux and using StarOffice to communicate with the rest of the Microsoft world. It's just not feasible. The average secratary or office person is not going to be happy typing commands into a console when they can just as easily install Windows XP and point and click everywhere, it's just not practical.

My final thought would definatly be that Windows is superior in it's ability to stabalize communication within a professsional level and it's just easier to use. I think both platforms are good server solutions just depending on your needs. And for all those who are trying to learn more or think you know everything and just have a hard-on for typing in a console and using software that doesn't work with anything else, Linux is for you.

Happy computing no matter what platform you use! It's all one world and it's all 0's and 1's when you figure it out finally. Have fun!
angelus35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2002, 20:32   #26
dopey

>I believe Windows to be a good basic server >operating system and a superior >Workstation/Home PC operating system.

Bollox.
windows is inferior in every department starting from its crap filesystem to its bloat kernel and its annoying wizards, that cant be cancelled.

linux beats windows in looks as far as desktop is concerned beats it in speed beats in reliability beats it in scalability beats it in security beats in toc. Any need to continue ? .
Anything windows does linux does better. Thats it to the point and straight fact. Oh yeah not to mention the fact that its the most heavily developed os on this planet every jump windows makes from 2k to xp for eg linux does about 10 jumps. And what is xp ? Same kernel as 2k slightly optimised older hardware knocked out but the same crap with a different gui.
Oh yeah what are you talking about bugs get fixed slower on linux what are you on ? As soon as a bug is detected its worked on and usually fixed very quickly what about windows ? ok lets tell ms they got a bug they will then hide it under the carpet, until that bug is exploited by some1 somewhere and then ms will take their finger out n try and fix it.
Sorry but if they handed out xpee free i wouldnt pick up a copy

-= =-
v
Old 25th April 2002, 21:28   #27
dopey

infact check out

http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/cgi-b...id=79120&d=448

Read in there this :
Industry analyst IDC now rates Linux as the fastest growing operating system in the market, with 24% growth in 2001 and a 37% rise projected for this year. In comparison, Windows NT (2000) is expected to grow 6%.
Endorsement from the UK's biggest accounting software developer adds to Linux's commercial respectibility.

anything need be said further ?

-==-
v
Old 25th April 2002, 22:17   #28
Bilbo Baggins

That may be true for server systems, but what about home users? Any figures for that area?
Old 25th April 2002, 23:21   #29
dopey

For desktop there is no way of tellin cos ms packages there crap onto retail machines and even if the user gets home doesnt even let windows boot and installs linux its seen as a tick under ms' belt. But it is increasing rapidly in this field aswell. Just check newsgroups / linux public forums and you see the masses of linux desktop users.

-= =-
v
Old 25th April 2002, 23:26   #30
Bilbo Baggins

[img]http://djslain.*************/Fabulous.gif[/img]

LOL. OK. i guess that at the end of the day it is the choice of the user.
Old 25th April 2002, 23:33   #31
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by miniguinea
Linux is more stable then windows. I've used both, windows is easier to use, but once it starts crashing you have to reformat.
That's shit for a start. If my WinME laptop crashes, I can find the root of the problem and solve it, no reformat needed. It has crashed, multiple times, and I have recovered it. Now I'm having no problems at all; so even the worst of it is recoverable. Ideally it wouldn't crash in the first place, but I grew up with DOS so I'm grateful for anything. Compatibility is also very nice. And all you people saying "Linux is for professionals"... true, but professionals can use Windows, just like their clients.

You can get "great uptimes" with linux, huh? Why would I want to leave my laptop on 24/7 doing fuck all? Waste of power. Some people might need to do that, and I'm thinking website operators, but not the average computer user.

So I don't really mind you badmouthing windows - i'm no fan of 9x/millenium myself - but don't be arrogant and claim that all it's users are stupid. We are not.

as he faced the sun, he cast no shadow
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2002, 23:46   #32
dopey

Quote:
[img]http://djslain.*************/Fabulous.gif[/img]

LOL. OK. i guess that at the end of the day it is the choice of the user.

what the hell is that geezer?

is that u bilbo ?

lol

v
Old 26th April 2002, 00:48   #33
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)

It's just the camp guy who says "Fabulous"...

as he faced the sun, he cast no shadow
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2002, 01:08   #34
DJ Ulti Z

Send a message via AIM to DJ Ulti Z Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Ulti Z
If you think about it, Linux is great for network use. It would be great to see Linux on the PS2 for online play since it can support the play more stable. I'm not sure how it would react to just plain old online surfing, but I guess that would be for further plans.
DJ Ulti Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2002, 09:06   #35
dopey

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Ulti Z
If you think about it, Linux is great for network use. It would be great to see Linux on the PS2 for online play since it can support the play more stable. I'm not sure how it would react to just plain old online surfing, but I guess that would be for further plans.
In japan a ps2 running linux has already been released it has/will be released in america aswell i dont think us guys in uk will get it but heres hoping im wrong. The ps2 kernel was written and debugged on linux. The ps2 creators admittted to this then decided to stick a 40 gig drive on the ps2 provide a keyboard n mouse onto it and i think a network card and a copy of mandrake linux. and there u have a linux ps2 box

v
Old 26th April 2002, 09:13   #36
Bilbo Baggins

But will you be able to get into the OS nd use it?

No.
Old 26th April 2002, 11:37   #37
dopey

what do u mean exactly ?
you can get into linux and you can get into the ps2. By rebooting.
You can use both but not both at the same time atleast i dont think u can use both at same time.
Old 26th April 2002, 12:11   #38
jns
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by nant
Games support? Nahh. There are some games that work for linux. At least the best ones do.
Isn't Quake ported to linux?
UnrealTournament is, I know for sure.
There are most certainly others..

jns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2002, 05:25   #39
Greven

People People!!! www.lindows.com. Windows and linux in one!
Greven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2002, 06:53   #40
ILikeFinch

I have a buddy who did the trial lindows thing, It blows. Its a sad and pathetic attempt to turn linux into something its not.

Quote:
LINUX KICKS MICROSOFTS ASS ANY DAY OF THE GODDAMNED YEAR...
Its people like you who degrade the credibility of a good OS.
Chill out with the MS bashing. Yes thier OS my be inferior when compared to linux, but when you script kiddies and people who want to sound cool with thier friends post shit liek that, it reflect upon linux.

Quote:
Read in there this :
Industry analyst IDC now rates Linux as the fastest growing operating system in the market, with 24% growth in 2001 and a 37% rise projected for this year. In comparison, Windows NT (2000) is expected to grow 6%.
Endorsement from the UK's biggest accounting software developer adds to Linux's commercial respectibility.

anything need be said further ?
Umm yes.

Industry analyst also said Enron was a strong and stable company.

Quote:
From a server standpointk, Windows NT based OS's are easier to configure and are more effecient in configurations (it's plain easier). That can save a company a lot of time and money.
Save time and money? Guess you have never even seen an I.T. department let alone worked in one.

What happend when thier server crashes, and it will crash. Thousands upon thousands of dollars are lost in mission critical enviroment. Then you have the man hours of repairing and reconfiguring, on top of having to install unix cause you just relized how stupid you were to depend on windows NT. No comapny would risk that.

Quote:
Linux doesn't have a corporate overhead which makes it's software distribution very unorganized.
WTF are you saying, you are just talking out of your ass. Go to www.redhat.com www.suse.com www.linuxmandrake.com and if you still think there is no "corprate overhead" you dont know wtf you are talking about. There is more support out there for linux than there will ever be for windows.

Quote:
The average secratary or office person is not going to be happy typing commands into a console
Have you ever even used linux, or are you just reading what these script kiddes write. All I need to say about this part is :

GNOME
KDE

Quote:
My final thought would definatly be that Windows is superior in it's ability to stabalize communication within a professsional level
I cant think of the words. Stablize communications?
If you can find one, just one major player in the communications market that depends on windows servers. I will give you my wife, kids, cars, and house (not really). and that sentance that you wrote doesnt make any sense.

Quote:
I can't forsee a legitmate business installing Linux and using StarOffice to communicate with the rest of the Microsoft world.
Where to start. The microsoft world huh? Jesus Fucking Christ. Have you ever used linux? Honestly? The stuff you are saying makes me think your just talking out your ass and have no clue about the technogical side of business.

First. Google, one of the greatest search engines out there. A good majority of thier computers run linux. From the secretaries to the developers. Why? Cause they can depend on it. Cause its FREE, cause the is a great deal of support for it. I could go on and on proving you wrong on each of you half assed attempt to discredit the stable and superior operating system that linux is.

Second. There is a Wired article I read not to long ago that said the entire government of mexico will be switching all of its system from a microsoft based enviroment to a Linux/Unix enviroment. That means every desktop, every server will be run on an open source and superior operating system. Why, maybe it was because of the exsorberant license fees or the lack of community (not corprate)
support.

Quote:
And for all those who are trying to learn more or think you know everything and just have a hard-on for typing in a console and using software that doesn't work with anything else, Linux is for you.
This just prove my point that you have never even touched linux.

And does Microsoft software work with linux. Thats sentacne of your is the poster child for Hipocracy. Can you run MS exchange server on Linux.....nope, what about office.....nope.

Do your research before you talk about a subject you have no clue about

Oh and one more thing. Considering your amount of education on this kind of subject I am going to assuem you havent heard about the SUn Microsystems lawsuit against Microsoft. How MS left java out of the XP OS. JUst one more point about how MS is all about money rather than the advancement of technology.

ILikeFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News