Old 29th April 2002, 09:45   #41
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

While the research may not have been as good as your knowledge (am i right in thinking that you work in an IT department with Linux?), there is no need to be so acidic within your post to people. It is better to share your knowledge with people than to gloat it at them.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2002, 15:18   #42
ILikeFinch

I used to work In an IT department with unix, but you can only take so much of the corprate atmosphere...so I became a geologist.

And yes, maybe I did get a little carried away, but I felt I said What had to be said.
ILikeFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2002, 09:55   #43
plasticparadox

Quote:
Originally posted by sub1zero

Your just another loser that just hates microsoft for no reason at all and linex really blows anyway its hard to use hard to find drivers for and barely anything works with this peice of garbage you call an OS
First off, it's "You're", not "Your". "Your" is a posessive adjective, as in "Your grammar sucks", while "You're" is a contraction of "You" and "Are", as in "You're a flaming fruitcake".

Other spelling/grammatical errors include "microsoft", "linex", "its", "peice", and the missing period at the end of your run-on sentence.

Secondly, I find it hard to believe that someone of your caliber was able to install Linux. Frankly, the concepts of FAT partitions, mount points, and the Linux file system seem to be out of your grasp. Don't talk about something you don't know. When you manage to get an installation of Debian up and running, you can voice your opinion about this particular topic.

If you don't know why Microsoft is hated, then you're stupider than you appear, and that's saying a lot.
plasticparadox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2002, 17:15   #44
pigdartus

Quote:
Originally posted by ILikeFinch
Oh and one more thing. Considering your amount of education on this kind of subject I am going to assuem you havent heard about the SUn Microsystems lawsuit against Microsoft. How MS left java out of the XP OS. JUst one more point about how MS is all about money rather than the advancement of technology.
I've heard of that, lawsuit. Microsoft, is a business. The point of a business is to make money, so put down the duby and get a hair cut, you hippie.

On the subject of this thread, to the rest of you
Your all idiots
I'm using linux at home, right now as I'm typing this. I use 2000 at work, they both work fine and haven't crashed.....
I've never done a reinstall of windows or linux or os8,9,x.
It's more likely your an idiot. Please contact someone with at least a half of a brain.
pigdartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2002, 17:52   #45
zootm
Forum King

the main advantages of linux are:
[list=a][*]it's open-source (big-one that)[*]it has a strong following from amateur coders (read "nerds")[*]it's not micro$oft [*]it's not apple[*]its extremely versatile command prompt[*]muchos support for more open-source software[/list=a]

yes, i like linux. but i don't use it. two reasons: no hard drive space left, and windows does everything i want. extremely efficiently and (i know this is sacriledge) stably (if that's the word). i've said this in other forums, but i have never had a fatal system crash on my win2k PC. i have caused one using JDK on a university linux machine, however . but i digress. what you people have to realise is that linux is not for everybody, especially in the form it exists in now.

and just to prove i'm not an MS employee, my pledge here is that i will install linux (i can get a brand spanking new SuSe or redhat for free, just like i got my win2k ) when i buy another hard drive.

that's if i get a job, and money for said hard drive.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2002, 08:09   #46
Zergo

Send a message via AIM to Zergo
Linux.. the wave of the future. Try it today :)

I loooooooooooooooove linux. I am a home user, and my school uses linux (on about 30-40% of their computers). It's really nice for students because almost everything for linux is free. Gotta love free stuff. And linux is more reliable because it has dedicated programmers giving away their work for free. They are programming for the joy of programming, not to make $50billion per year. I do have winblows 98 (and have tried Windows XP). I have tried to crash Linux left right and center (without logging in as root). I have tried crashing Windows (pretty much all versions and not logged in as the Administrator). I would say that Windows crashes a LOT easier than linux. In fact, Windows crashes even when I am aiming for a good uptime. I think that for business Linux has proven itself to be just as, if not more, powerfull as Windows (all versions). When you take a look at Star Office it is almost 100% compatible with MS Office. For the average home user who wants to do a LOT of gaming and little office work and doesnt care about reliability or uptimes, Windows is perfect. For anyone who wants to get some work done in a stable environment, use Linux. Linux has everything you need in an OS (and more).
Zergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2002, 09:31   #47
TWiSTeD SHaZaM

Send a message via AIM to TWiSTeD SHaZaM
ok I have never used linux and alot of thins that were said through this thread interested me. I mainly use my home computer for games and school if anyone can throw some info at me email me I use windows 98 nowand I swear to GOD if I see another error message my computer will end up in the street of my balcony.
TWiSTeD SHaZaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2002, 09:16   #48
Bilbo Baggins

Quote:
I mainly use my home computer for games
Then you won't want to use Linux for a while, because there is limited compatibility of games with Linux yet.
Old 13th May 2002, 10:06   #49
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by TWiSTeD SHaZaM
ok I have never used linux and alot of thins that were said through this thread interested me. I mainly use my home computer for games and school if anyone can throw some info at me email me I use windows 98 nowand I swear to GOD if I see another error message my computer will end up in the street of my balcony.
if you want your computer for games, try upgrading to win2k (the patched version, which is really good, much as it pains me to say) or winXP (but it's not quite "done" yet)...

for business use, linux is probably a good bet as Zergo pointed out. however, since the games libraries available are fairly poor at this point compared to directX, and since the user base is so little compared to windows, for games you're better off with windows.

Old 23rd May 2002, 04:58   #50
chris_b_hall

Send a message via AIM to chris_b_hall
Linux vs. Win XP vs. Win 9x

Lesse here, place it out perfectly.

Win 9x:
Crashes hourly
Piece of crap
Sux
Sux
Sux
Blue Screen
Sux Sux SUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ctrl+Alt+Delete used dayly to attempt to save system from software crash but usually doesn't help

Linux:
Stable, stable, stable
Not for the average home user
Fun if you really like to do hands on stuff
not completely compatible with software and hardware, but getting better
NEVER CRASHES
DOESN'T KNOW WHAT A BLUE SCREEN IS!!!!!
Ctrl+Alt+Delete used once in a blue moon to shut down computer

Win XP:
Stable, stable, stable
Useful for all (Home and Pro)
Really cool look
98% compatible
if its not compatible, you can make it compatible with the click of a button
NEVER CRASHES!!!!
DOESN'T KNOW WHAT A BLUE SCREEN IS!!!!!!!!!!
Ctrl+Alt+Delete used dayly to log on and sometimes to stop shitty 3rd party programs from being in the way after they've locked down, not like they're hurting anything. just in the way.

in conclusion, Bill Gates, take 9x and cram it up something stinky. All you users who don't wanna waste time trying to learn how to do stuff go with XP, anyone else get Linux. I personally run both on my system. Use XP for most stuff and just play around with Linux, learning it slowly on my own. I have never had a problem with either. I even screwed up my boot sector the other night playing with LILO. When I'd turn on the computer, i would get lines and lines of 0's and 1's(binary code of some sort????) but with a pop-in of the xp cd, a few enter's and mouse clicks, i was hot to trot again. if you don't wanna switch to linux, get xp. don't put up with the blue screen of death another day. I've already forgotten what it looks like :-)
chris_b_hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2002, 06:07   #51
baafie
feminazi
(Major Dude)

Windows 9x really isn't that unstable. Don't be so quick to bash 9x, because it brought us all where we are today.

Windows XP does in fact crash often (in my eXPerience). I have also encountered various Blue Screens.

As for Linux I can't judge because the installation program terminated and deleted most of my files.
baafie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2002, 10:29   #52
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

98 crashed on me about 4-5 times at least a day. XP doesn't crash. IE occasionally does but that's no major thing, usually when viewing flash or have about 15 browser windows open.

Linux will be tested in the summer when I can live without all my programming tools etc.

.: fwgx.co.uk.:.My art:.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2002, 11:13   #53
zootm
Forum King

i managed to blue-screen win2k the other day.

it was a deliberate effort, but i managed it.

Old 23rd May 2002, 22:13   #54
kcg795

It sucks!!!

I downloaded both discs of Mandrake 8.0 with my 56 Modem, loaded it on my old computer and it ran slow as hell, it was VERY unstable, the sound didn't work right. The sound was distorted, stereo sound was reversed, and it skipped like hell. Windows, especially XP, is WAY more stable than Linux and a hell of a lot faster too. Linux is a piece of shit and I'd wipe my ass with sand paper before I even TOUCH linux again. For now, I'm sticking with XP. WAY better than Linux. Shit, Windows 3.1 is more stable than Linux.
kcg795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2002, 00:12   #55
Bilbo Baggins

Don't use sandpaper to wipe your excess faeces away. It hurts.
Old 24th May 2002, 01:13   #56
Zergo

Send a message via AIM to Zergo
Quote:
Windows, especially XP, is WAY more stable than Linux and a hell of a lot faster too.
HAHAHA!!!!
I actually went out and bought WinXP Pro last weekend... first error I had was in the middle of the setup. then I started it up and it wouldnt boot. so I rebooted it, and I got into it. now I keep getting errors at the logon screen. I also get all these annoying little "did you know?" sort of tips. They are annoying, and I could see how a newbie to computers or a complete dumbass (possibly also someone who does gaming) would want linux over windows. Linux is way faster than Windows XP and much more stable.
Linux =
Windows XP =
Zergo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2002, 02:03   #57
Aeroe
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Aeroe
xp has a noticeable better responsiveness compared to kde 2.2x of gnome 1.4x (or whatever it was). kde3 supposely is faster but it never would install. fluxbox was fast as hell but too basic.

still i can get my work done faster and more efficiently on xp. i never had an xp related crash, or bsod. sure once a week a program might freeze but i got that a lot too on linux.
my hardware works, there's tons of software and it's perfect for what i do.

Why Switch, Why Bother? just for a grudge? nah... i tried linux again for awhile but it took too long to get everything to work. then i missed certain games that aren't ported, also certain other software like filesharing and graphics and multimedia. streaming media is also a bitch on linux unless you fork more money to codeweaver's cross over plugin just to get windows functionality.
Aeroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2002, 13:34   #58
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Zergo

I actually went out and bought WinXP Pro last weekend... first error I had was in the middle of the setup. then I started it up and it wouldnt boot. so I rebooted it, and I got into it. now I keep getting errors at the logon screen.
your computer is most likely poorly compatiable and badly put-together. you're lucky you can get one operating system to run on it. the likelihood of this happening to the XP installer is about the same as it happening to the linux installer. dear.

Old 28th May 2002, 17:40   #59
WarezKiddy

Quote:
Originally posted by vslick22
Read in there this :
Industry analyst IDC now rates Linux as the fastest growing operating system in the market, with 24% growth in 2001 and a 37% rise projected for this year. In comparison, Windows NT (2000) is expected to grow 6%.
Endorsement from the UK's biggest accounting software developer adds to Linux's commercial respectibility.
Hey, I love linux and hate windows too, but here's why what you just posted is totally moot.

Windows has a ri-goddamn-diculous share of the OS market, so it's pretty hard to go up even 6% - that shows there's a lot of people who like it.

Linux, however, has jack of the market, so it's pretty easy for them to grow by leaps and bounds percentage-wise.
WarezKiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2002, 19:40   #60
djd5000

OK

Its a while since I have been on the forums and as soon as I saw this thread had to dive in. Let me tell the story. I'm a 16 year with a small network a linux server, some win 9x laptops and a win2k workstation. It was originally jus the laptops and the workstation on 9x. This is how my opinions have grown
I got the linux server about 2/3 months ago and installed RedHat Linux onto it! It is a basic firewall/router with a DNS server and FTP (haven't got round to Samba Yet). I haven't really tested any games on it as its a server and that it the role of linux (allthough i did test Uplink a nifty little game).

We don't need pretty interfaces for linux. KDE and Gnome may look really catchy but the point of linux is quick and effective command line interfaces. My server is very stable and hasn't crashed at all. The uptime is 100% with the odd restart here and there to test new startup configs. I can VNC into it and use it remotly. Wot more do i need.

And all of you people who say win9x is stable r off your nuts. It isn't stable and as much as you like to stay mainstream, you are wrong and this has been scientifically proven. I read a quote that went summit like
where would we b today without win9x?
you seem to miss 1 small point here. We are on WinXP. It has the NT kernal. This started development b4 95 (i think) and although it was released afterwards it was always the more stable OS. That was why it was accepted as the professional choice of OS for loads and loads of companies.

Anyway when I moved from Win9x to 2000 i have experienced a big suprise. It is both stable and doesn't need constantly restarting to remain like this. It works quickly and happily. No more to say.

GOD this is dragging on a bit isn't it
Have a cup of T and continue after if u like

Actually I think thats it
apart from to say linux also kicks PalmOS and PocketPC in the PDA market.
Lots of love your bestest friend
DJD aka DiGiTaLFX
djd5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2002, 00:48   #61
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

2000 ISN'T XP!!!! "k is plain awful when it come to IRQ's. I admit that my machine is fuller than most but 12 IRQ sharing one?? I couldn't rip a CD because of this, it just gagve me white noise. XP is stable, rarely crashes and is compatable with most software. I'm going to dual boot XP And/or RH 7.2/Mandrake. I tried Corel Linux ages ago but the lack of mouse wheel support and Netscape browser put me off. Now I only need som space.

.: fwgx.co.uk.:.My art:.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2002, 17:04   #62
Dunkalis

Send a message via AIM to Dunkalis
Windows leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. Therefore, Windows leads to suffering.

Lycoris Desktop/LX

Has integrated WINE, KDE (or the God of Window Managers), and its not overly heavy in the packages department. Boots a bit slower than XP, but GOD! Its FUN!

You should go get it. Its free. Unlike Windows XP.
Dunkalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2002, 22:22   #63
Aeroe
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Aeroe
fun maybe, but have you compiled software or learned anything? if you want just a clone of windows with not even a tenth of the software library, why use it? i could understand if some hardware config just is a bitch on win2k/xp. or you enjoy messing with everything, what i do.

learning, that's the "fun" stuff right there.
it's lacking in the development department. those include the required compilers to build from source, and dependencies for rpms. they only offer the one cd for download without the additional development one.
Aeroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2002, 03:49   #64
Whimsy

Why Windows is better.

1) It has a majority of good applications. Note that i don't mean the appliactions taht Sourceforge spits out, which has a vast majority of "Coming soon!!!1!1!1!!!" ware. Which is not vaporware, since that would piss off Lunix fans.

2) Sourceforge support! yes, thats right, to the moron that implied that linux has a monopoly over at sourceforge, you are incredably incorrect. Hell, BeOS and DOS have applications under development at SF.

3) No "Kernel Panics". That's right! I've never gotten a kernel panic with Windows OS's. I get them with linux everytime the system crashes!
Yes, this is my diffuser for you trolls that say "Ahahaha BSOD ahahaha".

4) That whole "Not Apple/not ms" arguement is bullshit. Consider this: if Be were still developing BeOS, would you add that to your list? What about Digital Research? It's nieve to say "it's not companyname!". This is not an arguement, it's a blatent attempt to troll.

5) As for dude saying "my 3 friend sent back their delldos!". Have you considered that maybe the hardware was crap? i've run a windows 98 box for a month uptime, killed only by a poweroutage. yes, it's rare, but it's possible. i don't expect anyone to believe this either.
Additionally, I know someone that bought a dell recently with winxp home. I assessed it. I diden't think anyone sold computers with 4 MB videocards, especially in the 1 GHz bracket.

Anyways, I used to be pro linux. I can "mount /dev/scd0 /mnt" to access a scsi cd-rom drive. I played with potato(Debian) back in the day. I've even tried more recent releases, and likes a few things, but linux serves no purpose to me. it's a toy OS at this point.

When Linux matures, it will be a great OS, but until then, avoid these crappy troll posts.
Whimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2002, 06:34   #65
rolfen

Send a message via ICQ to rolfen
- My internet proxy and firewall works on Win 98, at it has been up for 12 days now (that is since i have installed my new proxy).
The thing with win9x is to be careful with the softwares you run on it, they can crach your system easily. the os is stable in itself.
use "start->run->msconfig" to remove any unnecessary applications at startup.
- Windows 2000 or XP, on the other hand, does not crash, whatever you throw at it. My heavily used XP workstation has only crashed once in 3 months (maybe a hardware problem?).
-A friend just installed XP on his 3 PCs. There was virtually no setup during installation. After that, we ran the network wizard on each computer, and internet sharing and file sharing configured itself with no user input at all!
-If you still feel like spending days tweaking your PC, you can do this on XP, you just have to be willing to look harder for documentation.
-Sure, linux/unix is better as a high load server, and geeks love it.
But as for "regular" people...
rolfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2002, 06:43   #66
rolfen

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
i managed to blue-screen win2k the other day.

it was a deliberate effort, but i managed it.
how did you do that?
tell me, I miss the blue screen
Old 30th May 2002, 20:53   #67
djd5000

OK People
I have come to a big descision (is that how you spell it).
There is no point in argueing any of this stuff. The same posts are appearing again and again. "Linux is stable" "Windows is more stable" "No Linux is"
And then theres the whole Apple thingy hitting in on occasions.
Why don't we just accept it
Windows has its place (workstations)
Linux has its place (Servers)
MacOS has its place (graphics and to an extent muzik)

-------

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung.
Live long and
Old 30th May 2002, 20:58   #68
djd5000

Quote:
Originally posted by Whimsy
I know someone that bought a dell recently with winxp home. I assessed it. I diden't think anyone sold computers with 4 MB videocards, especially in the 1 GHz bracket.
Thats a bit nieve isn't it?
Y does sum1 who needs to word proccess need a top of the range 3D card. I ran a 4MB 3Dcard until half a year ago. And a 1GHz bracket is low end/budget pc now a days.

-------

You can pretend to be serious; you can't pretend to be witty
Old 30th May 2002, 21:56   #69
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by rolfen
how did you do that?
tell me, I miss the blue screen
i changed some graphics card .dll files around, then ran max payne.

it wasn't the old BSoD, but it was blue... some kind of kernel fault i think...

Old 31st May 2002, 02:45   #70
Whimsy

Quote:
Originally posted by djd5000

Thats a bit nieve isn't it?
Y does sum1 who needs to word proccess need a top of the range 3D card. I ran a 4MB 3Dcard until half a year ago. And a 1GHz bracket is low end/budget pc now a days.

my point was that the OS is as stable as it's hardware is good. if you had a great 4 MB card, then it would probably be better in terms of stability than a 64 mb card that happens to suck. (as a side note, I place a 90% empheses on the quality of the video card,, as i've seen funny things happen with crap cards).

As for the comment about the linux fans/windows fans flinging shit, I hererby declare this thread a blatent attempt to troll. whoever posted this thread, please go to slashdot, where you belong, and post about windows or something.
Whimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2002, 03:55   #71
Demosthenes00

I felt it necessary to add something to this discussion. Mac OS X is Unix based, has good software support [MS Office, Photoshop, etc] (except for some games), has a gorgeous GUI, and is quite user-friendly.
Demosthenes00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2002, 16:14   #72
sub1zero
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by plasticparadox

First off, it's "You're", not "Your". "Your" is a posessive adjective, as in "Your grammar sucks", while "You're" is a contraction of "You" and "Are", as in "You're a flaming fruitcake".

Other spelling/grammatical errors include "microsoft", "linex", "its", "peice", and the missing period at the end of your run-on sentence.

Secondly, I find it hard to believe that someone of your caliber was able to install Linux. Frankly, the concepts of FAT partitions, mount points, and the Linux file system seem to be out of your grasp. Don't talk about something you don't know. When you manage to get an installation of Debian up and running, you can voice your opinion about this particular topic.

If you don't know why Microsoft is hated, then you're stupider than you appear, and that's saying a lot.
Buddy i didn't think it was possible but you by far are the biggest nerd i ever winessed

and you are because you bitch about how many typos i have in my post now how cool are you
sub1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2002, 20:57   #73
WarezKiddy

LMAO. he went off on a tangent about your grammar and spelling, and then called you 'stupider'. lmfao.
WarezKiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2002, 17:15   #74
zootm
Forum King

do you have to say "more stupid" now?

damn.

Old 5th June 2002, 20:19   #75
rolfen

useless

What is better, a truck or a bus?
Old 5th June 2002, 20:34   #76
rolfen

question

Quote:
Originally posted by Demosthenes00
I felt it necessary to add something to this discussion. Mac OS X is Unix based, has good software support [MS Office, Photoshop, etc] (except for some games), has a gorgeous GUI, and is quite user-friendly.
I agree. but what about the price difference (win xp vs mac)? Please give me some details. I have heard the difference is unbearable. Is it true?
Old 6th June 2002, 07:18   #77
chris_b_hall

Send a message via AIM to chris_b_hall
Why Mac OS isn't so great.

Ok, so Mac is Unix based, Mac is user friendly, and Mac OS may be cheaper than Windows. That is, if you can find it. How many stores can you go into and buy Mac OSX? I've never seen it. Also, I build my own machines. That way I know I'm getting top quality everything cause I am the one buying it and putting it in. Can't do that with a Mac. All parts are specific. If your sound goes out, you can't run to Comp USA down the street and buy a new Sound Blaster. You gotta send it in. Have Mac fix it. So, I disagree with Macintosh even being in the running because in my opinion, they are on a completly different tangent. Windows and Linux can be run on MOST of the same systems. If you buy a Dell or Packerd Bell, or even build you own computer with Windows on it, you can wipe the drive and USUALLY install Linux without a hitch. Can't put OSX on that computer, nor could you put Linux or Windows on a Mac. They are in a completely different class. Its like comparing lemons, limes, and.... I dunno, strawberries. Sure they're all fruits, but who would put a strawberry in their water?
chris_b_hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2002, 08:14   #78
Trigear
bear!

ok, kiddies, so let's all stop the argument while it's stuck here on a downer. we're all big dogs, yes, and we've all got sharp teeth, but must we keep bearing them?

in other words, bob likes linux, john next door likes windows, and mike down the street has a mac. now can't we all just throw a block party and make peace or something?

grow up guys, we've all got our own preferences. but your choice of operating systems isn't cause to call each other stupid and dumb.

unless of course, that sort of thing floats your boat, in which case, who am i to stop you?
Trigear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2002, 08:26   #79
Trigear
bear!

although i gotta admit... seeing this topic on the forum list was too tempting. you know it's an invitation for a flame war...

oh well, i guess it's better to keep the flaming to a separate thread rather than somewhere MUCH more important, like for instance a thread about what dave matthews had for breakfast...

geez...
Trigear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2002, 13:32   #80
zootm
Forum King

Re: useless

Quote:
Originally posted by rolfen
What is better, a truck or a bus?
truck, definately. that'd be great fun.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News