Old 22nd August 2002, 17:04   #161
spikegrrrl
Banned

Send a message via AIM to spikegrrrl Send a message via Yahoo to spikegrrrl
hi....ive heard a lot of good things about linux (red hat??) my question is....do you need to have MS on your computer as well as Linux?? Thanks
spikegrrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2002, 17:30   #162
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by whiteflip

is the program allways running? i dont use winraw so i dunno
You don't use WinRAR? The disgrace! Err... that is, the disgrace if you use windows and don't use WinRAR! And if you use Linux, you should be using RAR for Linux! And if you use DOS, you should be using RAR for DOS and OS/2! And... Well, I like WinRAR as you can tell.

Anyway, WinRAR doesn't run resident (like it could with my task manager of death! ) - windows will load the WinRAR DLL dynamically, as you right click something. That's the problem -- it doesn't happen from the registry. The registry only tells it to load a DLL.

Speaking of Linux, I will reload it as soon as I reformat that other drive! I find it a cool O/S - my only problem is I'm much more familiar with Windows. But that will change! Once I get Windows and Linux fixed (ughh.. my boot sector is a nightmare) I WILL run Linux only, and will only run Windows through emulation! (VMWare! Yeah!)

Anyway, check out www.rarlab.com

Coollesstt... Commpresssion... Soffttwaree.. EEVVEERRR!
(Think Comic Book Guy)

By the way, would anyone happen to know of any efforts (close to completion) to get Linux to read AND write NTFS?
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2002, 14:49   #163
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by spikegrrrl
hi....ive heard a lot of good things about linux (red hat??) my question is....do you need to have MS on your computer as well as Linux?? Thanks
No, you don't need a Microsoft OS on your computer. However, if you need to run programs that don't run well under WINE (which allows windows programs to run in Linux), you might want to have Linux and windows installed.

The question is, do you need Windows on your computer to do what?
Old 23rd August 2002, 15:06   #164
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Conceive a sphere constructed with the earth at it center, and imagine it surface to pass through Sirius, which is 8.8 light years distant from the earth... Then imagine this enormous sphere to be so packed with microbes that in every cubic millimeter millions and millions of these diminutive animalcula are present. Now conceive these microbes to be unpacked and so distributed singly along a straight line that every two microbes are as far distant from each other as Sirius is from us... Conceive the long line thus fixed by all the microbes at the diameter of a circle, and imagine its circumference to be calculated by multiplying it diameter by Pi to 100 decimal places. Then, in the case of a circle of this enormous magnatude even, the circumference so calculated would not vary from the real circumference by a millionth part of a millimeter.
This example will suffice to show that the calculation of Pi to 100 or 500 decimal places is wholly useless.

- Hermann Schubart, A mathematics professor from Hamburg, Germany in 1889
i do like pi though. there's some weird maths things that relate circles to things wholly non-circular via pi.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2002, 09:38   #165
ctn|chrisw
Forum King

I actualy like winders (spelt it rong on purpose) better then linux. Im too lazy to use linux. It totally F***ed up my F***en Computer.

ctn|chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2002, 03:32   #166
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by cmw6988
I actualy like winders (spelt it rong on purpose) better then linux. Im too lazy to use linux. It totally F***ed up my F***en Computer.
how. did you know what you were doing? did you???

wonders why windows is spelt winders

the linux kernel is better no doubt
the windows kernel sucks. 9x wise. 2k wise its decent
linux software sucks no doubt. sure the OS doesnt crash but the software does
windows software kicks major ass and works well and there is a lot of it

the windows kernel improves with each expensive release
the linux kernel is alreay great. its improvement is for compatiblity speed and stability. small incrememnts
windows software works. dont need to upgrade
linux software is getting better but still sucks

windows costs a lot
linux is free or costs less than a lot if bought in a distro

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2002, 02:49   #167
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Did you spell "wrong" 'rong' intentionally too? Did you mean "I'm"? And what is "F***en"? Did you mean "F***ing"? And perhaps "actually"?

Sorry, I normally don't critique spelling, but when you say that you spell something wrong intentionally with bad spelling, one wonders why such a person is unable to use a spell checker.

And how the F**K did you get Linux to "F**k" up your computer. Did you delete the windows partition? Did you force your monitor to run at wrong resolutions? Did you delete the boot loader & wonder why your hard drive won’t boot anymore? Yes, you can screw your system up in Linux more easily than in Windows, but only with root, and only because you have more control than in Windows. It’s like having handcuffs taken off. Sure, you can cause more damage, but that's a side effect of more ability.

As for the above post Re software, yes, Linux software isn’t as good as Windows software, in general – but usually you’re comparing free software to commercial – the Linux commercial products are just as good, or better, than Windows commercial – it’s just that there’s a lot less of it.

Peter
Old 26th August 2002, 04:16   #168
devils night

well whichever OS is better you will be able to get both from MS soon

Microsoft Linux

this is weird

Proud Winamp user since 1997
(Winamp 1.006)
devils night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2002, 10:35   #169
ctn|chrisw
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by xzxzzx

Did you spell "wrong" 'rong' intentionally too? Did you mean "I'm"? And what is "F***en"? Did you mean "F***ing"? And perhaps "actually"?

Sorry, I normally don't critique spelling, but when you say that you spell something wrong intentionally with bad spelling, one wonders why such a person is unable to use a spell checker.

And how the F**K did you get Linux to "F**k" up your computer. Did you delete the windows partition? Did you force your monitor to run at wrong resolutions? Did you delete the boot loader & wonder why your hard drive won’t boot anymore? Yes, you can screw your system up in Linux more easily than in Windows, but only with root, and only because you have more control than in Windows. It’s like having handcuffs taken off. Sure, you can cause more damage, but that's a side effect of more ability.

As for the above post Re software, yes, Linux software isn’t as good as Windows software, in general – but usually you’re comparing free software to commercial – the Linux commercial products are just as good, or better, than Windows commercial – it’s just that there’s a lot less of it.

Peter
[bad mood] I got linux to fuck up my fucken computer when I tried to change the fucken screen resolution. And I cant spell check my posts because there is no fucken spell checker built into vbullitin is there? Nope dont see a mutha fucken button.

code:

_____
|_ _|
n (O O) n
H _|\_/|_ H
nHnn/ \___/ \nnHn
<V VV / \ VV V>
\__\/| |\/__/

[bad mood]
Sorry for talkin like that but their is no fricken spell and and im not gonna copy and paste my stupid post. If their was a spell check I think I would use it. DUH!

Thanx for pissing me off...Now i gotta go listen to my happy music

ctn|chrisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2002, 00:34   #170
meph137

hmm, ok i got here slightly late...and i cant be bothered to read through the whole post cus im tired...but why do people stillhave this discussion? I mean lets face it...linux has its good points, so does windows.

Without going into much detail, I'd say Linux has power and stability on its side while windows has hardware compatibility and ease of use on its side. I am aware linux is getting a hellof a lot better and becoming very friendly to use and compatible with most hardware out there but its stil not up to windows standards yet on those fronts yet...while windows I don't beleive is up to linux standards in regards to power and stability.

The most recent distro i used was Suse 8.0 and i must say it was astoundingly simple to install (the installation was a dream, much better than windows XP) and extremely simple to use. I would say Suse was very much on a par with windows XP in terms of ease of use.

However, I have had very many sour Linux experiances before Suse 8.0, for example:

The first distro I ever touched was Red Hat 7 (tried this a while back when it was just new). It was hailed as easy to use and stable, yet it actually crashed more times in a few minutes than windows 98, and refused to save my x video settings (i needed to adjust some refresh rates), no matter what i did (xvidconf, changing the x config by hand) nothing worked. So in the end (after not much help from the linux community) I decided to call it a day. Needless to say i was disappointed and annoyed because i really did want to try and start using Linux instead of horrible Windows 98se.

Second I tried Slackware (long time after Red Hat) just as a laugh really, i was aware it was a very hard distro for the newbie (if not impossible without help) but i tried anyway. It installed perfectly and ran fine, the trouble was that without a graphical UI I was just completey stuck. There i was using an unfamiliar CLI, without a damn clue as to what was going on and all my attempts to configure and start x resulted in failure, so I gave up. I didnt expect to get far with slack although I'd have liked to (just to try and dismiss the rumour that Linux was very hard to use for the newbie)

Third I tried the distro that is based on Red Hat (debian is it?), so anyway i got this installed and up and running very well and it was all happy until i tried to install my Network Card, which is where i met hell. Debian didnt support it so i had to use the driver disks that came with linux drivers (wow i thought, this will be easy) but that was not the case. After following the readme to the letter and using the EXACT compile options i was told to use, it still refused to compile, telling me i need to put the correct options in. I therefore gave up on debian (or whatever it was) simply because if a network card is so hard to install i dont really have to time or the patience to be messing around with future hardware.

So by now I had almost givin up on Linux, as much as i wish i could use it it simply seemed far too complicated to do such simple tasks as installing an NIC when it would have taken me 10 seconds in Windows.

Then, as a last ditch attempt (just today in fact) I tried Suse 8.0. Much to my surprise this installed fine (with the exception of a couple of errors that it explained perfectly and I was able to fix). I thought this might jut go the same as the rest though, easy to install and impossible to run or configure, but alas no! It booted up perfectly, found all my hardware and welcomed me nicely into the Linux world. From its lovely KDE desktop (and very nice looking virtual terminal) I was able to explore without worrying about trying to install this or configure that. Any problems I had were quickly countered by its online help or manuals.

So I guess what I'm saying is that no matter how competant someone is, or how powerful their Linux distro is, it doesnt matter unless they are lowered in at the shallow end. If i have only used an operating system for 2 minutes im hardly going to be able to configure things from the command line, or install things in a completely new way without some damn good help, which i didnt really get with any of the distros except suse. If Linux is to become popular then the people who make the distros are going to have to come up with much more user friendly ways of easing people into Linux, so that when they feel comfy they can THEN explore and change things and get used to the more complex side of it...thats the good side of windows.

So Suse managed to combine the ease of use of Windows, and stability and power of Linux, and i think thats what every distro aimed at new users needs to accomplish.
meph137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2002, 01:04   #171
jyvasaa
Major Dude

Re: why linux is better!

Quote:
Originally posted by Tw3NTy0n3
...all these blue screens...
i get green screens

jyvasaa
jyvasaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2002, 09:00   #172
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

i get purple haze

how much power can an OS deliver? power is CPU based its high bandwidth with few bottle necks. OS's just let you use that power. Windows with its more software has more power. Linux is just more configureable.

why the hell is this in breaking news?

I'm Back?
Old 30th August 2002, 09:23   #173
meph137

i was just wondering that actually...and power isnt just a measurement of how fast your CPU is, power can be assocaited with anything...Linux gives you the power to configure your system more, thats a form of power
meph137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2002, 14:39   #174
xzxzzx
Forum King

Re: Re: why linux is better!

Quote:
Originally posted by ¡Æ!

i get green screens
Mmm... Green screens - personally, I like green, with red text - It's christmas, every time windows BSODs -- err, GSODs. Plus, "Green Screen of Death" sounds better, and rhymes too
Old 3rd September 2002, 14:53   #175
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by whiteflip
i get purple haze

how much power can an OS deliver? power is CPU based its high bandwidth with few bottle necks. OS's just let you use that power. Windows with its more software has more power. Linux is just more configureable.

why the hell is this in breaking news?
Hmm...
[BORING]
pow'er n.
1) The ability or capacity to perform or act effectively.
2) A specific capacity, faculty, or aptitude. Often used in the plural: her powers of concentration.
3) Strength or force exerted or capable of being exerted; might. See Synonyms at strength.
4) The ability or official capacity to exercise control; authority.
5) A person, group, or nation having great influence or control over others: the western powers.
6) The might of a nation, political organization, or similar group.
7) Forcefulness; effectiveness: a novel of unusual power.
9) The energy or motive force by which a physical system or machine is operated: turbines turned by steam power; a sailing ship driven by wind power.
10) The capacity of a system or machine to operate: a vehicle that runs under its own power.
11) Electrical or mechanical energy, especially as used to assist or replace human energy.

[/BORING]

To me, this definition works the best:

The ability or capacity to perform or act effectively.

Now, following that, Power could be looked at in different ways: of course, with a P4 2.5 Ghz machine, you have a lot more power than a 386 33 Mhz. - BUT, you can also see that if you couldn't do anything on the P4, the 386 could have more power - the point is that Linux is generally for "Power Users" - those that can have the power of minute control, without f**king the PC up. In another way, Windows users have power, in terms of more software - totally dependant on your point of view.

I also heard something about power one time:

"Power is dependant upon the rapidity of particle flow" -- now, assuming practically anything could be looked at as a particle, this throws in a whole new angle - if you can have a high particle flow, then you can get a lot of things done (and therefore, you have a lot of power)

Anyway, enough of that:

<song quote of the day>
Say the word, and we'll be well upon our way...

Now, name that song!
Old 3rd September 2002, 15:01   #176
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:

[bad mood] I got linux to fuck up my fucken computer when I tried to change the fucken screen resolution. And I cant spell check my posts because there is no fucken spell checker built into vbullitin is there? Nope dont see a mutha fucken button.

code:

_____
|_ _|
n (O O) n
H _|\_/|_ H
nHnn/ \___/ \nnHn
<V VV / \ VV V>
\__\/| |\/__/

[bad mood]
Sorry for talkin like that but their is no fricken spell and and im not gonna copy and paste my stupid post. If their was a spell check I think I would use it. DUH!

Thanx for pissing me off...Now i gotta go listen to my happy music
I didn't mean to piss you off - just got carried away there.

I like your "finger man" - now if I could only find the one I have -- there's one floating about the internet that my friend made - it's insane, practically every time I see a ASCII art middle finger, it's his. Pretty cool, actually - it even got into some chat program one time.
Old 3rd September 2002, 18:54   #177
SNYder
Forum King

lol @ mslinux.org

Quote:
"This is horseshit. Horseshit, horseshit, horseshit. And for those of you who don't know what that means, it's the shit that comes from a horse!"
-- Greg, Columbia Internet
SNYder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2002, 18:57   #178
MOHAA

I hate those losers that say "linux iz better then wind0z"
Windows and Linux do the same exact thing but go about processing it in a different way.
MOHAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2002, 19:30   #179
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

P4's suck up a lot of power. Damn high electric bills damn them too hell!

The two OS's have different ways of going about things. Modules and Drivers, Root and C drive, Task bar and GNome. Linux just seems to be more configureable but more complex thus time consuming.

As for useablity and effiencty I would much rather have windows XP on a laptop vs linux. Servers is a different story.

I'm Back?
Old 3rd September 2002, 19:41   #180
SNYder
Forum King

anyone want to tell me, what is the best linux distribution?
SNYder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2002, 19:45   #181
MOHAA

Whats the point in using something thats alot harder to use then windows for a server? If Windows was a bad server OS then why do alot of webhosting companies use it?(i'm not saying you called windows a bad os whiteflip).

SNYder: depends on what you want? If you want one that looks like Windows go for Lycoris. It's the most popular for angry kids that like to jump on the linux bandwagon. www.distrowatch.com
Old 3rd September 2002, 21:20   #182
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by MOHAA
If Windows was a bad server OS then why do alot of webhosting companies use it?
Because they are stupid - or because they want to allow thier customers to use Windows based software on thier PCs. *NIX systems are, without doubt, more stable than Windows based OSes. Faster? Maybe - depends on configuration. But in the server business, RELIABILITY is supreme. That is the absolute most critical part of a server. After that, performance (which *nix systems usually win in too).

http://www.vcnet.com/bms/departments/innovation.shtml

http://www.linux-tutorial.info/Linux-NT_Debate/
Old 5th September 2002, 11:52   #183
zborgerd

Quote:
If Windows was a bad server OS then why do alot of webhosting companies use it?
Ummm... They do? http://www.netcraft.com/survey/

Looks like Apache, folks. Yes, there is an early Windows port of Apache, but why in the hell would you run it? Apache is at home on Unix machines.

I'm not saying that Windows NT/2000 is a bad OS. But only retard CIS majors that are MicroSoft-centric would run a Windows server. It's just dumb. It's closed, it's slower, and most of all it's *COSTLY*! For what reason? The Microsoft name? The audits? Yippy skippy!

Use Windows as a desktop. Use Unix/Linux as a Desktop. Use MacOS X for your desktop. But when it comes to servers, Windows is a silly choice unless you absolutely need some Windows specific feature. And 9 times out of 10, you don't. I don't care how much Windows advocates will claim that Windows 2000 is stable... Anything is better than 9x. It still doesn't compare to Unix or OS X (BSD).

I try to avoid conversations like these, but when people spread lies saying that "A lot of people use Windows for a server", I have to offer a few words about that.
zborgerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2002, 14:17   #184
trendboyireland

WinAmp on Linux

Hi guys

Does anyone know why WinAmp / Nulsoft are giving us a Winamp for Linux! they seam to support us however where is WinAmp for Linux?

I have been able to run the crappy old WinAmp (pre version 3) on Linux using WINE to emulate Windows. This works fine and speed aint bad either!

As fro XMMS, well come on! it sucks! and to correct a comment made above... XMMS is NOT from Nulsoft, in fact it is a rival! It may have skins but it is ugly and yuk. I used it for a while until I discovered that I could emulate WinAmp on Linux.

So anyone know when we will see a ported version?

Thanks
David

The People's Republic of Cork
......(No Longer Part of the Republic Of Ireland)
trendboyireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2002, 16:25   #186
virulent

Send a message via AIM to virulent
This debate again. :\

I do my best to stay out of these types of things, but it seems this arguement will never die. My two cents are as follows:

The first time I used Linux was in 1995. I will tell you, honestly, it was terrible. Since '95 its been developed so much that going back to it in '97 (after Windows died and I vowed to find a replacement) I didn't even recognise it. Currently Im running Red Hat 7.3 and very rarely so I need Windows at all. The "hard to configure" myth comes from the old days where editing text files was the only way to do anything. This is no longer the case as Red Hat has introduced "Druids" (as opposed to Wizards). Everything can be configured easily via a graphical interface.

That being said, and my OS preferance made clear, I still have Windows installed on my hard drive. There is are many reasons to keep Windows around, both for the home user and the business user.

Granted, WineX has almost full DirectX compatability, but there are times when running a game on the OS it was designed for is essential (such as multiplayer games where a few seconds can mean loosing).

As far as business goes, why use KWord and require an employee to learn yet *another* piece of software, when the *real* thing is easily obtained? It makes no sense. Linux in a business enviroment should be used for servers and servers only. For systems that only Admins touch. Your basic semi-educated Joe Schmoe that is in your office for a paycheck and a paycheck only, has no reason to even touch a linux system. Linux and Windows co-exist via Samba quite nicely.

Again, its a matter of choice. Free software exists to give the end-user the freedom to do and use what they're most happy with. Most of my time is spend online doing various things and Linux is fast and stable. Its my choice. However, saying there is absolutly no reason to ever use Windows and that Bill Gates is "evil" and "should die" is childish.

---
Ok, I have no sig yet. So sue me.
virulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2002, 17:29   #187
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:

Quote:
Originally posted by zborgerd

I try to avoid conversations like these, but when people spread lies saying that "A lot of people use Windows for a server", I have to offer a few words about that.

What an ignorant comment.
Oh boy - yes, there are people using MS web servers. The point is that they are not the majority. Apache is. By FAR. If I gave 100 names of people who have AIDS, would that mean ANYTHING? Would you never have sex again, and lock yourself up in your closet? I don't think (hope?) so.

However, you can look at statistics, and get a meaningful piece of data.

such as...
http://www.serverwatch.com/stats/ssp...le.php/1457161
or
http://www.netcraft.com/survey/

then again, neither of these actually show hosting companies separately. But following logic, one would assume that hosting companies would give their customers what they want, and if you look at the statistics, it's Apache (which does have a windows version, but why would someone use Windows ($!) vs Linux ($0) for that?

Maybe you just meant "a lot" (relative to nothing) - not the majority. In that case, you are absolutely correct - see my previous post.

There are also a lot of people with their heart on the right (wrong? ) side of their body (as opposed to the left, of course).
Old 5th September 2002, 18:52   #188
MOHAA

I meant to say Windows is used a lot as a server OS but Linux/BSD by far is used way more then Windows. The list of websites was just to prove zborgerd wrong about a lot of peeps using Windows as a server OS.
Old 5th September 2002, 22:14   #189
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
I meant to say Windows is used a lot as a server OS but Linux/BSD by far is used way more then Windows. The list of websites was just to prove zborgerd wrong about a lot of peeps using Windows as a server OS.
OK, good

I don't think anyone thought that people were not using Windows - I mean, http://www.netcraft.com/survey/ has it at 9,139,785, as of August 2002.
Old 6th September 2002, 03:05   #190
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Windows 98 SE. The best OS ever. ...Period...
Windows for a server is shit and I agree but for small servers for closed networks its pretty decent. But for web servers or roomfilling racks Windows is generally shit. Linux for a desktop? Ill have to wait till I get a new computer with fresh hardware to try redhat linux 7.3. I tried Redhat 6.1 and I didnt like it.

BeOS forever!

I'm Back?
Old 6th September 2002, 03:07   #191
MOHAA

BeOS was the best
Old 6th September 2002, 03:19   #192
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Quote:
BeOS was the best
BeOS will live again. Under OpenBe

I'm Back?
Old 6th September 2002, 12:32   #193
virulent

Another thing people don't seem to understand are that there are distrobutions of Linux based on skill level. You've got Mandrake and Red Hat that are "easier", as in: using Druids and graphical tools to make it go. Then you have more traditional distro's such as Slackware, which is closer to BSD-style. If you are a "Power User" and only need a base install and want to compile your own code and update everything yourself - you have that option. If you are new to it and have grown up on Windows and are used to how Windows works - you have that option as well in the newer distro's like Mandrake.

With Windows, you have no option. You have whats given to you, which is ugly and full of holes, and you have to live with it. Period. Something that is ONLY stable and useable after about 60 megs of updates. Sure, you've got that nasty little resource hog called WindowsBlinds but that is really your only option. Oh yes, there is Litestep and the various clones, but can you truely call those options? Litestep might be a nice "alternative" to explorer and can get you used to an X Windows style interface, but again, its all controlled by editing text files.

Computers have gotten really popular with the internet use getting so widespread. It used to be only the geeks who could navigate DOS or UNIX that used the internet and honestly, it was designed BY these geeks FOR other geeks. Now, everyone is scrambling to make everything as "easy" as possible. The backlash from that is WindowsXP, in its default configuration, looking like it was created for a 5 year old. For those of us that *don't* need our hands held in order to operate a computer, there is linux. There is a learning curve to use it. You will have to *gasp* learn something in order to make it go. Its not point and click. It should never be point and click.

If you're honestly happy with Windows and AOL making things nice and easy for you, excellent. My 70 year old grandmother uses the Internet every day (and forwards me crappy jokes every day *grrr*) and without Windows or AOL there is no way she could do that. She really enjoys it. Good for her. Im glad to see that. But don't expect me to be satisfied with the same tools that allow someone with *no* experience what so ever to use a computer.

---
Ok, so I dont have a sig yet. So sue me.
Old 6th September 2002, 14:37   #194
trendboyireland

Grandmother jokes

Can you send a few onto me! I'm having a boring day at work

doreilly@doubleclick.net

Thanks a million
Dave
trendboyireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2002, 18:05   #195
MOHAA

virulent: Umm.. you can change the skins on XP and it doesn't take up resources. There are so many ways to change XP tweaks, themes, icons and wallpaper. Too bad this is with XP(just the themes) only but the seconds paragraph was not true at all. XP is alot stable then what most people think, i've had XP up for about 3 weeks before i accidentally kicked the power cord out of the socket and it was fine.
Old 6th September 2002, 18:18   #196
virulent

Ok two things:

First of all, uptime is irrelevent. Uptime means jack unless you're running a coperate server. Because you can stay connected to IRC for a week doesn't mean your OS is in any way superior. The first thing people like to say is "Well I've had my system up for xx days!" Who cares? So you waste electricity, whats that got to do with a good OS? Put your system under some serious stress for 3 weeks and see what it does. Mission critial enviroments are the only places uptime means anything to me. I run linux. I turn my comptuer *off* at night. Silly me.

Secondly, I was mostly refering to the Win9x line when talking about updates/WindowBlinds/Litestep. As far as theming goes on XP I'll plead ignorance on that one. I don't have the experience with it to speak authoritativly, though my few attempts at skinning it failed and I opted for the old Win9x look before uninstalling it altogether. Tweaks and changing wallpapers, again, have little to do with the OS itself.

Personally my first experience with XP was along the lines of "If I get one more wizard Im going to shoot someone." You really dont need a Wizard to show you how to unzip a file, and if you do, stay far far away from linux.
Old 6th September 2002, 18:42   #197
MOHAA

I run a web and mail server and i play Medal of honor alot. Please, if you don't know anything about me then please don't act like you do thanks.
Old 6th September 2002, 18:56   #198
virulent

I assumed nothing about you, spanky. What I said was that uptime means little to me. And it still doesn't even with your reply. Webpages serve what, 50-100k at a time? You can run a webserver on a 486. Mail is about the same deal. Medal of Honor is a great game. I play it in linux often, and then when Im done, I go to bed and turn off my computer.

Here's another issue to toss out there. Why is it that just about any Admin worth their weight in salt recomends a stand alone BSD box as a firewall/router? I don't hear many of them saying, "Man, I just HAVE to get that WindowsXP so I can have a secure network!" In fact, I've talked to *many* MCSE's that have quit jobs because of how bad XP is. Look anywhere. Hell, do some serches on security. You'll find referances to "stand alone BSD (unix)" machines all over the place. Why is that? I think the answer is fairly obvious.

As I said in my first post, if Windows is good for you, ok.. use it. When you start *seriously* using your computer for something *other* than Medal of Honor, then we'll talk about alternatives.
Old 7th September 2002, 06:43   #199
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

yeay virulent

never ever associate WINDOWS with AOL. i use windows. i DONT USE AOL.

if i did use dail up it would be nocharge.com. plain and simple.

i learned on DOS. my first computer was something old that ran DOS with a broken Hard Drive. it weighed 30 lbs or something. i found it and just started messing with it. i than got my hands on an IBM my mom bought. we didnt get the internet for a year after that so I grew up fixing windows without the internet just looking around.

linux is not an OS. its just a Kernel. its a damn good kernel. sometimes its frontends for accessing and using it are good. they use to suck a lot. the first GUI's for linux were shit. i cant say anything about the new ones. but comparing the linux kernel to the win2000 kernel its really debateable. the win2k kernel is pretty damn good.

I'm Back?
Old 7th September 2002, 15:35   #200
zborgerd

Quote:
virulent: Umm.. you can change the skins on XP and it doesn't take up resources. There are so many ways to change XP tweaks, themes, icons and wallpaper. Too bad this is with XP(just the themes) only but the seconds paragraph was not true at all. XP is alot stable then what most people think, i've had XP up for about 3 weeks before i accidentally kicked the power cord out of the socket and it was fine.
Whatever. Win XP's skinning capability is nothing more than a hacked, licensed version of WindowBlinds that was integrated into the OS. Aside from that, it is HORRIBLE on resources and breaks all sorts of stuff.

Don't believe me? Download WindowsBlinds for Win2k. It is the exact same thing... It even uses the same themes.
zborgerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News