Old 7th September 2002, 15:40   #201
MOHAA

Sounds like someone doesn't know what they are talking about
Have you even used XP? Have you ever tried XP skins? If you have you'd know skins don't take up resources.
MOHAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2002, 17:10   #202
virulent

Send a message via AIM to virulent
I don't think you'd be aware of the resources it takes up if it did take them up. Its been integrated into the OS itself. Its not a seperate program like WindowBlinds. You run WindowBlinds, you see your resources drop. Well, now with XP, you load the OS and whatever resources it *does* take up, are already gone. I don't think you can really monitor what it takes up and what it doesn't.

Thats like saying "Netscape takes forever to load". Yeah, so does IE, exept that its loaded into ram as soon as the OS boots and it stays there. You can't really guage how long it takes to load, other than how long your computer takes to boot up.

And I do associate AOL and Windows together. They both have the same aim and have done the same thing. That is, take what used to take knowledge and skill, and make it so that anyone that can click a mouse can use it. Thats fine, but as I said, don't expect someone that *knows* a little more about computers and networking to be satisfied with them.
virulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2002, 22:16   #203
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by virulent
Thats fine, but as I said, don't expect someone that *knows* a little more about computers and networking to be satisfied with them.
two words

what ever

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2002, 05:39   #204
virulent

Quote:
what ever
The inteligence and fact that last statement was based on astounds me. As far as your arguments for linuxs' first GUI's sucking: Win 3.1 *cough* And I'd like to know your definition of an OS, since you seem to say linux isn't one.
Old 9th September 2002, 13:10   #205
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:

And I do associate AOL and Windows together. They both have the same aim and have done the same thing. That is, take what used to take knowledge and skill, and make it so that anyone that can click a mouse can use it. Thats fine, but as I said, don't expect someone that *knows* a little more about computers and networking to be satisfied with them.

Couldn't agree more
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2002, 18:46   #206
rm'
Banned

Quote:
Personally my first experience with XP was along the lines of "If I get one more wizard Im going to shoot someone." You really dont need a Wizard to show you how to unzip a file, and if you do, stay far far away from linux.
Funny how the people who claim intellectual superiority due to their use of Linux are too dimwitted to figure out how to turn off/circumvent XP's wizards and Mickey Mouse interface.

Get your head out of your ass
rm' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2002, 19:10   #207
virulent

First of all, I said it was my *first* experiance with XP. As such one wouldn't expect one to know the ins and outs of the system and how to turn off all of MS's "helpful" things.

Secondly, you admit XP has a Mickey Mouse interface.
Old 9th September 2002, 19:23   #208
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by rm'

Funny how the people who claim intellectual superiority due to their use of Linux are too dimwitted to figure out how to turn off/circumvent XP's wizards and Mickey Mouse interface.

Get your head out of your ass
But why one someone WANT to use XP long enough to "fix" the OS like that?
Old 10th September 2002, 00:17   #209
myass

Hahaha...

I run Linux. I run Win2000.
Load bad drivers for any of those and both will crash.
When drivers are good, none crash.
I still have an old NT4 machine that I haven't rebooted for years.
Linux is a bitch to maintain. Linux software support is shitty.
If I could get Maestro for Win2000, I would not use Linux.
I run IRIX on SGIs as well and they crash far more often than Win2k machines...
myass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2002, 06:36   #210
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

"Use Classic Interface"
its right their in the window.

I'm Back?
Old 10th September 2002, 12:51   #211
virulent

Quote:
"Use Classic Interface"
If you've been following my posts (or even if you haven't, reread them) I mentioned that when trying to change the "Mickey Mouse" theme, I was unable to. Maybe support for skinning has improved? Either way, as I said, I switched back to the "Classic" skin. Then every time I wanted to do something I was confronted with a wizard. No, I don't want a wizard to do it all for me, I don't know what the hell that wizard is modifying. Uh-uh, let me do it myself.

*Then* I look at my hard drive. 4 gigs left. What? Of 20 gigs, there is only 4 left? So I do a little investigating. It appears that for each login in XP, files are copied to the users directories. A *lot* of files. So much so that I had 4 gigs left having 5 users setup in XP. Yes, there were other programs installed, but I found *GIGS* of "hidden" files in my user directory. Why? I deleted every last one of them. When I talk about resources, its not just RAM Im speaking of. Do I need an 80 gig drive just to have a few accounts under XP?

Linux copies files to your user directory. It creates hidden files that control how system wide programs look for each user. They are TEXT files, not GIGS worth of crap.
Old 10th September 2002, 12:53   #212
winamp DARK

What about BSD

you guys talked about microsoft's XP and Linux
but what about BSD (FreeBSD...)
what do u think of it if u have tried it?
winamp DARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2002, 13:06   #213
virulent

The "BSD's" are great. (FreeBSD, NetBSD, etc) I mentioned once before that you'll find just about any Admin that knows anything about networking will recomend a stand alone BSD machine as a router/firewall. Its secure, its fast, its stable.

I actually was told that someone was honestly argueing that his Win2k machine did routing/firewalling better than any cisco hardware. I just don't get these fanatical Windows users. UNIX is what the internet was built on. Your "multipurpose" OS cannot out preform a BSD machine that is running with one job and one job only: routing.

And before you get on me for saying "Windows Fanatics" think about which came first, which was used to build a global network and which still runs most of it. UNIX is old. And its *still* kicking. Microsoft has *admited* to not caring much about security until only recently. (if you need me to find the link, I will) Where as the UNIX's have been built on security from day one. UNIX has been tried and tested. Windows has been exploited over and over.
Old 10th September 2002, 14:33   #214
zootm
Forum King

what i don't get is fanatical linux/unix/whatever users. i'm don't use windows because i'm fanatical, i do it because it's THE BEST AT WHAT I WANT IT TO DO. no matter what you say, that will not change. you have to realise that there are advantages and disadvantages to every OS - for example, i want to play computer games, and i want to do it now. i don't especially want to play tux racer, and i don't want to have to play games at 8fps on some "superfast" linux-windows port.

i'm sorry, i know there are people who will defend windows with no reason, but i won't. i use windows because it does what i want it to do, with the minimum of fuss. if i was running a network (which i'm not) or a webserver (which i'm also not) i *might* use linux. in fact, i'm thinking of installing it anyway, just to communicate to my computer science department. hey, it would be good for that - so i might use it. but for what i use it for right now? it just can't compare.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2002, 15:23   #215
trendboyireland

8fps? Hello !

I love the way people decide to add their point of view by picking out of context subject lines from others, get real like! that's what Bible-bashers try to do.

I would like to add the following to the conversation:

1) Both OS's have pro's and con's:

Ok, I would love someone to actually TELL us what these are! I am not able to add any opinion here that says that Windows is better at anything because I have to say it has no pros in my experience.

I have worked for a long time with computers and now I work for a company supporting software on both systems. If I look through the amount of cases from last year 80% of them come up on Windows rather than Solaris or a Linux based OS. To fix these issues is a complete nightmare as windows is a typical 1-monitor 1-keyboard type OS, completely useless with security as just to have some connection I got to have every client install SSH. The time scales to resolutions on Windows based systems then is like 10 to 1!

2) People seam to judge an OS by it's "graphics"!

Come on like! we are not talking about Sonic vs Mario here! days like that are gone and every modern harware set up can display anything almost, so even if MS decides to copy Gnome and make XP that is all well and good but because they have this amazing talent that no other OS has by putting a "BLUE TASKBAR" in place of a dull and grey bar doesn't mean the system is in any way better. Yet you would be amazed to see how many people look at XP and think "wowwwwww" HELLO?

Gnome with Sawfish is still a step beyond of course with it's powerful theme's set up. Lol beets the you what out of Microsoft Windows Plus! (can you believe they changed people for a crappy picture of flowers and grass.... I know my government sells Ireland to the Amercan tourists as the Green Country but can you imagine it works for Microsoft too! :-).

3) Wizards and the "hard to use" thing:

Lads come on! A computer is a device that does nothing more use logic gates, the fact that a command shell exists like BASH makes computers completely easy to use... yet it's amazing that if people don't have this stupid box saying NEXT >> they freak out! but the amazing thing is that all these so called "wizards" exist for the 'slow' people also on any good dist of Linux. So would someone please tell me what EXACTLY is hard to use of say Redhat 7.3 ? ok the default setup is yuk as it looks like Windows but after a change of the "look and feel" it can look any way you want it!

4) Games.... hehe this is the best one! would someone please tell me how they can really think windows is a good platform for games? most games run on DOS so a two second command before the DOS program/game called WINE fixes all! as for 8fps, have you ever played UT? Wine generates a faster refresh than Multishaft Windows.

So can someone please tell me what I am missing out by not running Windows.... I have yet to see? ! ? :-)

Love ye all
David
trendboyireland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2002, 15:38   #216
virulent

I personally get 40fps in Diablo with linux. *shrugs* Like I said in a previous post: When you want to do something with your computer besides <insert game title here> then we'll talk about alternatives. Until then, you can claim how good your OS is because it can pump out graphics for your Quake session, meanwile UNIX will continue to provide you with the servers you play your games on, host the webpages you visit daily and provide the backbone for the internet.

Something else I find amusing. There is a SHOUTcast server for *NIX, but no player. Heh. Whats the deal with that? Has Nullsoft realised what you people haven't? That if you want to set up a standalone server, UNIX is the choice? That if you want to do anything that actually stresses a computer where uptime is actually important (unlike you gamers with your computers in your living rooms touting your uptime, which means nothing) that Windows is a complete waste of time and effort (not to mention money for anyone in a business enviroment)?

Call me fanatical? At least Im backing something that WORKS. You're backing something that plays games. Get a PS2 and leave the computing to people that know what they're doing/talking about.

Gah.

Sidenote: Sony is realeasing a version of linux for the PS2. The system that used Windows died. *cough*Dreamcast*cough* Hm. I'll try not to draw and conclutions here.
Old 10th September 2002, 16:04   #217
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
I personally get 40fps in Diablo with linux. *shrugs* Like I said in a previous post: When you want to do something with your computer besides <insert game title here> then we'll talk about alternatives. Until then, you can claim how good your OS is because it can pump out graphics for your Quake session, meanwile UNIX will continue to provide you with the servers you play your games on, host the webpages you visit daily and provide the backbone for the internet.
you know, you're right. and that's why i'm going to continue to use windows.

and diablo is what, 4, 5 years old now? i get 200+fps... which is more than my monitor can display...

Old 10th September 2002, 16:10   #218
trendboyireland

Hmm and you found that out how?

Hehe are u trying to tell us that Microsoft Windows told you that :-p

What did you do to find out this? run MSD.COM? hehe or do you have a super brain that is able to see how many frames are flashing per second.

Long Live the graphical version of MS Dos (Windows) it can now tell lies too... did it crash after you tried to run a diagnostic?

Reality: 200 FPS is not realistic mate.

Dave
Old 10th September 2002, 16:39   #219
rm'
Banned

I've come to the conclusion that the overwhelming majority of Linux users are complete fucking self-absorbed morons (*cough*Slashdot*cough*). I think I'd have more success trying to convince Hitler that Jews aren't all that bad then even suggest to a Linux fanboy that Windows serves my purposes perfectly

You fanboys are the ones keeping Linux down, not Microsoft.
Old 10th September 2002, 16:57   #220
virulent

Yes, complete morons. We're morons because we know something. Something you apparently don't. Such as basic networking, TCP/IP and security. Right. I'm a moron. A complete idiot for using something that isn't exploited on a daily basis. I keep linux down with my attitude that its currently the best choice for an OS. Waaah. Bad me. Oh, Im so ashmed. I should be a sheep and go along with the rest of the crowd because, even if Windows isn't good, its *good enough*.

Excuse me. It is not good enough. Not for me and not for anyone that can read facts (ie: statistical data). Just for the hell of it, I played around with wine here between posts. I currently have IE6 running under Linux. Neat.

I'll put up a screenshot to infuriate you some more when I get around to it. I wonder if IE's holes are still exploitable while being run under Linux. *laughs* Wouldn't that be amusing.
Old 10th September 2002, 19:30   #221
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

any game below 40 should be shot

anyway everyone should use macs. i like how you uninstall proggies in mac. drag to trash can and delete. plus macs have their patented file system which got windows in trouble and is built on unix/linux something kinda. linux proggies can be ported to macs more easily and their is PC2Mac software that emulates windows much better than wine.

Plus even microsofts software is better on Macs.

(here comes mac protected mem and sys resource bashing)

I'm Back?
Old 10th September 2002, 19:43   #222
virulent

Now someone is talking sense. Don't want to use a full blown *nix OS? Go with a Mac. OSX is built on the BSD (unix variant, again, that shows the power of *nix) kernel. Really for me, BSD is the best OS there is. And there are many flavors of BSD as well, but they're all good. I run linux because it supports my hardware the best of any of the unixs. If you can't/don't want to run a full Unix, OSX is the next best choice.. even though everything is proprietary.

I don't really mind that to much. Mac produces its own hardware. Good for them. At least the customers aren't being ripped off with shotty parts in their machines like Compaq used to do.

I've just had it up to here <points at his neck> with Microsoft. They rip off DOS, they steal the Windows code from IBM, they copy the Mac interface, they release software that is flat out buggy and insecure.. and worst of all, they make YOU pay for it. Come on! Isn't it time to expect a little more?
Old 10th September 2002, 21:24   #223
zootm
Forum King

pay? for microsoft software? sucker!

no, as i pointed out before, windows is better for my needs. you can't change that. i am completely aware of the advantages of unix/linux/BSD/mac/whatever. i don't need them.

let me repeat that:

i. do. not. need. them.

not grammatically correct, but i think it conveys the message.

but yes, i occasionally have need for the advantages of these operating systems. in those cases i (SHOCK! HORROR!) use them. i'm a computer science student, for the love of god. i am aware of the issues. but at the moment, i can guarantee that my computer, running windows 2000, is more secure than yours.

how? it's locked in my room. with no internet connection. try and hack that.

Old 10th September 2002, 21:34   #224
rm'
Banned

Exactly.

The thing I don't like is that Linux users tend to be stuck in the mindset that their choice of OS is the best for ALL situations, therefore, users of other OSs know nothing about computers, and in essence, are dullards. Am I an idiot for using Windows? No. Am I stupid for thinking that Windows can serve my needs? No. Do I not know what packets, bits, gateways and routers are simply because I don't use Linux? No. Are you an arrogant moron for shitting on users of Windows simply because you think Linux is the BEST OS EVAR!!!1 Yes.
Old 11th September 2002, 09:24   #225
trendboyireland

Exactly

Yes you are right.

But it's ok, it may not be your fault if you can only point and click, not all of us were blessed with brains darling.

While you are there banging your head against your wall and constantly rebooting, we are taking computers into the next world.

Mac OS X - yes good system! however have you tried Linux on the PPC hardware! now we are talking. And of course... you can ditch Apple's YUKKY GUI and stick in Gnome on X.
Old 11th September 2002, 21:45   #226
zootm
Forum King

Re: Exactly

Quote:
Originally posted by trendboyireland
Yes you are right.

But it's ok, it may not be your fault if you can only point and click, not all of us were blessed with brains darling.
lol@you

as i said before, i am a computer science student. beyond that, i am a geek. i have to use linux once in a while. beyond that, i have a linux box, in my bedroom, that is not quite equipped to run an x-win interface, so is command-based only. and i'd appreciate if you'd stop confusing good systems analysis with stupidity. see how different they look?

wow. if only i had to constantly reboot (windows 2000. never crashed. takes a little effort, but worth it). then i might be a little pissed off. but no, wait, i'm not. my computer works fine. i've already discussed how it's more secure than yours. i don't use macOS because i don't like how it feels, all i know is windows and linux (wait, he knows linux?!). yes, as it doesn't seem to be getting through any of your thick, *nix insulated skulls, let me spell it out.

i k n o w e x a c t l y h o w t o u s e l i n u x .

and to be perfectly honest, i think you people are being close-minded, and all-out dumb in places. you know what makes for a clever person? admitting they were wrong.

my OS matches my computer use. i can guarantee you that. through the university i could have any OS i wanted, for free (except the obvious exception of having to have mac hardware for macOS, effectively).

and you can't convert me to linux. i already have it.

Old 11th September 2002, 22:52   #227
virulent

Le Sigh.

Once again, let me say what I've said 3 or 4 times now: If Windows works fine for you, use it.

Windows does not work fine for me. Windows crashes for me. Windows corrupts files for me. Windows won't even run included diagonstic tools such as Scandisk and Defrag properly for me. Windows has been nothing but a source of irritation for me. I use linux for that reason.

Windows plays all your happy little games? Excellent. Use it. I find that my linux machine plays those games too, and is stable, and is secure. Wow, 3 for the price of one. I use linux. I am happy with linux. Just seeing the ugly ass screen Windows pastes on my screen as its booting irritates me. *shrugs* Its my choice. Its what I stick with.

The problem I have is that people will tell me that a Windows machine works *better* is *more* stable and has even remotely the uptime in mission critical inviroments (a 100,000 node network for example) and I reject that. Once again I ask why it is that I've never heard an Admin say "I just HAVE to run out and get that Windows XP so I can have a stable network!" Tell me Mr. Computer Science Major, why is that? Tell me why a week after XP was released the friggin FBI (The FBI!) is issuing urgent security warnings.

Granted NT is a little bit of a different story. I've seen an NT 4 server up for 3 months. And before you jump up and down screaming that 2k/XP are built on the same kernel, you've got to realise all the other *junk* included in it that bogs it all down, XP specifically.
Old 12th September 2002, 10:30   #228
trendboyireland

Computer Science

hehehe it's ok mate.... I feel your pain.... it must be hard to read in a book with "MSCE" on the front that Linux applications are "basic" and then to find in the real world that it's different story...

Imagine this for a minute...

Imagine if could learn computers....
Imagine if you had a book that had all the answers....
Imagine a howto which told you how to fix all situations....
Imagine if you could learn everything there was to know about computers....

Imagine no longer.... Computer Science is the Answer!!!

GET REAL!

What does computer science teach... nothing... a bit a perl, a bit a C, that's it mate! oh and maybe to feel you know a bit more than the rest... your reply for example!

So does everyone out there agree with me that experience is gold??

Who knows more... the hacker or the Computer Science person?

So convert you to Linux... well matey it sounds like you turned it on one day because you discovered that your Windows box just couldn't do what you wanted... but because you couldn't leave the point and click world you had to hide it in your bedroom and just use it in the background.
Old 12th September 2002, 12:52   #229
virulent

Once you set up linux to do what you want, its virtually all point and click if you use a GUI. I don't see where this "hard to configure" thing works into it. You can install Mandrake in 15 minutes and have a completly working system that takes little to no configuration to work and get online. And its all point and click I might add.

I use Slackware on every machine but the one Im currently typing this on. Red Hat supports the onboard sound (which I'll be replacing soon as I scrape together a little cash) better on this machine. Slackware isnt as "user friendly point and click" as some of the others. Slack is more of a "classic" bsd-unix style setup and its nice. While Mandrake installs nicely, its bloated.

It has the same problems Windows does. It has to support every single thing thats ever been produced and its got to be able to see it and recognise it completly on its own. There can be no user intervention because the majority of users aren't bright enough to install/tweak a driver.

God, I remember the good ol' days where it took an hour of tweaking autoexec.bat and config.sys just to get Jill of the Jungle or Doom 1 to play. Where you had to close Windows before playing games. Where no one held your little hand with pretty little wizards. You had to *know* something to make things work.
Old 12th September 2002, 13:19   #230
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
The problem I have is that people will tell me that a Windows machine works *better* is *more* stable and has even remotely the uptime in mission critical inviroments (a 100,000 node network for example) and I reject that. Once again I ask why it is that I've never heard an Admin say "I just HAVE to run out and get that Windows XP so I can have a stable network!" Tell me Mr. Computer Science Major, why is that? Tell me why a week after XP was released the friggin FBI (The FBI!) is issuing urgent security warnings.
now that's a sensible answer. i agree with you. and i'd like to point out i'm not defending windows security, i'm aware that it is shite. it does, however, suit my computer usage.

Quote:
Who knows more... the hacker or the Computer Science person?

So convert you to Linux... well matey it sounds like you turned it on one day because you discovered that your Windows box just couldn't do what you wanted... but because you couldn't leave the point and click world you had to hide it in your bedroom and just use it in the background.
don't be a fool. i got linux because i finally had a friend with a connection capable of downloading a distro (internet is not so cheap around here, at least until a few years ago). i was not one of the rich few who could afford to transfer to linux (and i know that sounds silly, but it's not really). i transferred my main PC to linux, but removed it when i realised that although there is a million and one utils for linux available, you're pretty much screwed with no internet connection. the university machines only recently got CD burners, so i had no chance of getting the progs i wanted.

when linux becomes more widespread (which it will, because it is a superior OS), i will probably transfer back. but for now it's simply not practical. don't draw false conclusions. and i don't hack for moral reasons, and due to the fact i have no internet connection.

besides, it's easy and boring.

Old 12th September 2002, 13:56   #231
virulent

Well we seem to have come to a truce. Heh. Agreed on the point that linux doesn't do much without net access. Although distros are getting better at packaging most utils with the install. Red Hat 7.3 was 3 cds. I appologise if I got a little snippy about the Comp Sci thing. I'm a Philosophy/Physics major myself and I tend to get long winded and grumpy when it appears facts are being ignored.
Old 12th September 2002, 14:00   #232
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Well we seem to have come to a truce. Heh. Agreed on the point that linux doesn't do much without net access. Although distros are getting better at packaging most utils with the install. Red Hat 7.3 was 3 cds. I appologise if I got a little snippy about the Comp Sci thing. I'm a Philosophy/Physics major myself and I tend to get long winded and grumpy when it appears facts are being ignored.
i've been in linux arguments before, and they always end like this. i'm sure you'll be glad to hear that today (TODAY!) i got a net connection in my room (T3-ish), and as soon as i find a way to get my CD-burner working through win2k, i'll get rid of my winME partition and install the happy SuSe distro my friend promised he'd lend me. or i could download slackware, i suppose.

Old 12th September 2002, 14:16   #233
virulent

End like what? I'm right, you're wrong. Nyah nyah nyah? I didn't see that happen. I've said all along if Windows works for you, great. The only thing I've maintained is that linux functions better in a coperate atmosphere and can be made more secure than anything Microsoft has ever produced. To deny that is foolish.

My girlfriends dad is a *hardcore* gamer. He'd never use linux. Ok, fine, I can understand that. Hes not an "idiot" but if he told me his computer could do routing/firewalling and was more secure I'd be having the same arguement with him. The rest of all this had to do with people making false claims about getting 8fps in games under linux, etc etc.

Linux does what Windows does. Either as good, or better. It can no longer be denied. In fact, Microsoft is planning an anti-linux advertising compagine thats aready started on the net and I expect to see it on Television fairly soon.

The purpose here isn't to be "right". Well, maybe for some. The entire reason I got into this thread was because I was seeing things being misrepresented and kids defending linux like "l1nUx iz c00l, n00b!". I can't abide by that. *That* is what hurts the linux community. My purpose here is to inform people that Windows is not all there is. Not by a long shot. Hopefully with the facts (most of which are common knowledge that no one really even bothers to think about. like: why are there so many updates/holes in my software?) displayed here and given out by other *nix advocates, someone might start to expect a little more from their computer and the makers of the software they use.
Old 12th September 2002, 16:04   #234
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

I'm bored after reading just this last page

.: fwgx.co.uk.:.My art:.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2002, 16:32   #235
virulent

Quote:
I'm bored after reading just this last page
I don't doubt it. Most people simply just don't care. This isn't a slam on you, so don't get excited and point fingers at my "linux superiority complex".

Honestly, with whats going on in the governemnt regarding hacking peoples computers (I wont get into that. There is a thread about it already) I think security should be on everyones minds right now. Its not though. The American public, and really everyone is included in this, are very complacent. They take whats given to them and they bitch quietly amoungst themselves, but DO NOTHING to stop it. "This sucks, that sucks" thats all I hear. What have you done to try to stop it?

Well the first thing you can do is stop buying Microsoft. There is a lot of buzz about Palladium or whatever its called. I personally think its a lot of hype about nothing.. but do you know how I'll be 100% sure that doesn't happen to my computer? I wont use it. Simple. I've found something better. Its not controlled by a coperation whos aim is to make money, its not influenced by government pressure. It simply works.

Be bored all you like. Keep on encouraging Microsoft to make shoddy software. I don't really mind. It doesn't effect me one bit.
Old 12th September 2002, 17:34   #236
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
End like what? I'm right, you're wrong. Nyah nyah nyah? I didn't see that happen. I've said all along if Windows works for you, great. The only thing I've maintained is that linux functions better in a coperate atmosphere and can be made more secure than anything Microsoft has ever produced. To deny that is foolish.
i think i went home for a weekend and missed the middle bit of this thread, actually... i may have skimmed over the part where you said that. or i made a comment, and you assumed it was about you... or i misunderstood you... whatever.

Old 12th September 2002, 19:54   #237
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

i thought driver had a different name in the linux world. like module or somethin

I'm Back?
Old 13th September 2002, 08:55   #238
trendboyireland

American Government Using Windows

I don't know if the the USA'S Government runs Windows? do they?

Wow I'd love if they were hacked now! just before they murder all those people in Iraq for nothing, might bring out their "real" reasons for murder (oil and money).

Long live windows..... and long live left-wing anti-war Linux hackers!!
Old 13th September 2002, 13:01   #239
zootm
Forum King

Re: American Government Using Windows

Quote:
I don't know if the the USA'S Government runs Windows? do they?

Wow I'd love if they were hacked now! just before they murder all those people in Iraq for nothing, might bring out their "real" reasons for murder (oil and money).

Long live windows..... and long live left-wing anti-war Linux hackers!!
i think they use unix, unfortunately. besides, any software they do use they modify for a few years before they start using it... you could try hacking the developers of america's army? it's a windows game made by the US army...

Old 16th September 2002, 16:10   #240
xzxzzx
Forum King

Re: Re: American Government Using Windows

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm

i think they use unix, unfortunately. besides, any software they do use they modify for a few years before they start using it... you could try hacking the developers of america's army? it's a windows game made by the US army...
Is this the last relevant message to be posted? Nooooo!

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News