Old 26th September 2002, 19:08   #241
virulent

Send a message via AIM to virulent
Quote:
Is this the last relevant message to be posted? Nooooo!
Man. Just went without internet access for the last 2 weeks. Longest in 3 years I've been without it.

So uhm, right.

Linux rules, Windows drools.

Actually, it was amusing when the cable guy came to install it.

"Whats this?"
"Linux"
"Oh, we don't support that."
"I don't need your support."
"Uhm, ok. Well, I'll be going now."
virulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2002, 23:50   #242
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by virulent

"Whats this?"
"Linux"
"Oh, we don't support that."
"I don't need your support."
"Uhm, ok. Well, I'll be going now."
That is pretty funny.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2002, 03:16   #243
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

i do have to admit. that is pretty funny.

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2002, 11:11   #244
binary hero
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to binary hero
Quote:
Originally posted by whiteflip
i do have to admit. that is pretty funny.
yep
binary hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2002, 11:17   #245
zootm
Forum King

hehe. i like it.

(in other news UT2003 is gonna have out of the box linux support )

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2002, 11:19   #246
BDA7DD

Send a message via ICQ to BDA7DD Send a message via AIM to BDA7DD Send a message via Yahoo to BDA7DD
I don't have the time to read through this entire thread, so if the opinions below have already been said, forgive me.

While I respect Linux for its many usages and features, there are a few things which are holding me back from using Linux as my primary desktop operating system:
  • Hardly any of my software is supported on Linux, even when trying to get it to run in Wine or WineX. As for VMware, last time I checked, the latest binaries still don't have support for the latest Linux kernel.
  • I hate having to use the command line for nearly every task imaginable. I want to configure everything from my desktop. Why use a pretty window manager like KDE when you're spending most of your time in a shell?
  • The Linux user community, from my experiences and observations, are too caught up in their Slashdot-esque zealousy and self-righteousness for my liking. I refuse to be a part of that crowd.
  • Getting technical support is a lot harder with free software than with commercial software. Also, free software lacks such fundamental elements like internationally standardized quality control. I don't just buy software for the software, but also for the peace of mind.
  • Also on the subject of technical support is with the computer itself. If you've got Linux installed and you need to take your computer in to be serviced by a professional, it's pretty hard to find a professional PC serviceperson that'll fix your computer, since almost all of the PC servicepeople out there are strictly Windows-oriented. The same applies if you've subscribed to a new broadband ISP and the idiots require you to have a serviceperson come in to install the NIC and hook it up to the Cable/DSL modem because apparantly they don't trust you with your own computer. If you're running Linux, it's dialup or nothing for you.
  • Let's face it, reading through countless man pages is about one of the most boring activities one can partake in. At least with Windows you get a full instruction manual and graphical help features built within the OS, and if you still can't figure something out, there are many more people out there that know their way around Windows than Linux and can teach you how something is done.
  • ... and probably a few other things which I'm forgetting...

I have used Linux for a while and I'm actually in the process of building a PC strictly for use with Linux, so I'm not just some dumbass Windows user trying to talk about something he knows nothing about. Like I said, I respect Linux for its many usages and features. Hell, the second someone makes a Linux distro that hardly ever requires you to even look at a shell and has near-100% compatibility with all the Windows software out there, I'll ditch Windows for good then and there, and that's a promise.

There's my $0.02 in Canadian funds.
BDA7DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2002, 18:56   #247
xzxzzx
Forum King

• Hardly any of my software is supported on Linux, even when trying to get it to run in Wine or WineX. As for VMware, last time I checked, the latest binaries still don't have support for the latest Linux kernel.
  • That I can see
  • I hate having to use the command line for nearly every task imaginable. I want to configure everything from my desktop. Why use a pretty window manager like KDE when you're spending most of your time in a shell?
  • ?!?!?!? what? I mean, sure, there is a lot that is much easier to do from the shell, but how is that a disadvantage, compared to not having that option at all in Windows? But sure, there are some things which have to be done in the shell, (not much anymore).
  • The Linux user community, from my experiences and observations, are too caught up in their Slashdot-esque zealousy and self-righteousness for my liking. I refuse to be a part of that crowd.
  • Hehehheh. That I can see But what's up with the "I'm defined by those I'm with" thought?
  • Getting technical support is a lot harder with free software than with commercial software. Also, free software lacks such fundamental elements like internationally standardized quality control. I don't just buy software for the software, but also for the peace of mind.
  • Piece of mind? With MICROSOFT?
    Phffhehheh.. HAHAHHAHA!
    Uhhh... right.
    www.redhat.com
    www.suse.com
    www.mandrake.com

And have you SEEN how many bugs Windows XP SP1 fixed? Including this one:
    hcp://system/DFS/uplddrvinfo.h...
    (Link removed to keep idiots from making their system non-bootable)

Amazingly, just clicking that link (if it was there in entirety) will delete c:\windows\* - and you won't be able to boot. And do you know how long this vunerability been known by MS? 11 Weeks. You know how long something like this would have lasted in Linux? A couple of hours - a day, at most. QA control my @#$.
  • Also on the subject of technical support is with the computer itself. If you've got Linux installed and you need to take your computer in to be serviced by a professional, it's pretty hard to find a professional PC serviceperson that'll fix your computer, since almost all of the PC servicepeople out there are strictly Windows-oriented. The same applies if you've subscribed to a new broadband ISP and the idiots require you to have a serviceperson come in to install the NIC and hook it up to the Cable/DSL modem because apparantly they don't trust you with your own computer. If you're running Linux, it's dialup or nothing for you.
  • Apparantly, you didn't even have the time to read the last few posts. go up, oh, 5 posts.
  • Let's face it, reading through countless man pages is about one of the most boring activities one can partake in. At least with Windows you get a full instruction manual and graphical help features built within the OS, and if you still can't figure something out, there are many more people out there that know their way around Windows than Linux and can teach you how something is done.
  • A full manual for windows? Ohh, I want one! Where do you get that? I sure havn't got one the last 5 windows purchases I've made (buying windows? sad, I know )
  • ... and probably a few other things which I'm forgetting...

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
Old 27th September 2002, 18:58   #248
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:

Man. Just went without internet access for the last 2 weeks. Longest in 3 years I've been without it.
I know your pain . Fortunately, I havn't been without net access at all (with minor execptions) for about 4 years now. But it's been annoying when it's been some stupid access only, such as my cell phone, was it.

Old 28th September 2002, 09:29   #249
BDA7DD

Send a message via ICQ to BDA7DD Send a message via AIM to BDA7DD Send a message via Yahoo to BDA7DD
Quote:
Originally posted by xzxzzx
That I can see
What the fuck? You don't even know what software I use, so you really are in no position to say this. Jesus Christ, you're dense.

Quote:
Piece of mind? With MICROSOFT?
Phffhehheh.. HAHAHHAHA!
Uhhh... right.
Way to misinterpret my post. I never once specifically named "Microsoft" in that point. My point is that Windows is a commercial operating system which has a lot of commercial software available for it. The software selection for Linux is almost entirely open-sourced software (which I have my qualms against, such as the previously mentioned lack of quality control standards, among other things,) with just a handful of commercial software (almost all of which I am very pleased with.)

Commercial software as a whole has its plus-sides which can't be denied. Besides, this isn't a communist work-for-nothing-but-the-people world we live in. Almost the entire world now is capitalist. You make something, such as a software application, and you should expect to get compensation in return. Money is a motivator. The more money the developers get, the more motivated they are to continue developing to make their software better and more powerful. With the open-source community, the collective of developers just work on the software whenever they get some free time and feel like contributing.

Quote:
www.redhat.com
www.suse.com
www.mandrake.com
Oh, give me a fucking break. You call yourself a Linux user and you can't even do so much as post links to GOOD, COMPETENT DISTROS?

Mandrake is the most stupidest, insecure, bloated resource hogging distro around. RedHat isn't as bad as Mandrake, but it still ranks up there in the "shit distros" category. SuSE... well, to tell you the honest truth, I've never tried it, since I really don't see the sense in paying for a Linux distro. The other free distros are goon in the sense that you can try them out and remove them if you don't like them WITHOUT having to pay for so much as a peek at the distro.

Debian, Slackware and LFS are the true Linux distros. Accept no substitutes.

I'm just waiting for the FreeBSD trolls to come in here and attempt to stir shit with both us Windows users and us Linux users... heheheheh...
Old 28th September 2002, 20:07   #250
virulent

These complaints seem to be typical of someone that is fairly new to linux. Note that "fairly new" and "newbie" are not the same thing. That was not in insult. What I mean to say is that either there are Linux versions/clones of Windows software, or the Windows software can be made to run via emulators or projects such as Wine. In the event that you have some sort of specialized software (I, for example, play guitar. I use a Windows based effects processor that has no equal in linux and will not run properly due to its use of DirectX) then you will need to run Windows for that specific task. However, these types of programs are few and far between.

Now I realise that you've not read the entire thread, thats fine but let me say again what I've been saying since I started posting:

If Windows works for you, use it.

If the majority of the programs you use on a daily basis have no linux equal and they are unable to be run properly under linux.. then use Windows. To argue that point would be like saying "You can use a Mac emulator in Windows and never buy a Mac." Sure, but it will suck if all you use is Mac software.

The point here is that Linux is a great OS. As has been stated over and over and can be backed by statistical and real world means. Is it THE best OS ever? There is no objective answer to that question. I am not a gamer. I work with networks and internet based software, so my answer is a resounding yes. Yours might not be.
Old 28th September 2002, 20:18   #251
virulent

One more thing.

The command line interface is THE most powerful tool you can have. Linux can be set up to run on a 386 with 16 megs of RAM, stuck in a closet and route packets perfectly. We're talking about virtually no overhead, no need for super fast graphics, tons of RAM, etc. We're talking about a system that is designed to do what it does and do it well.

Everyone tells me that Win2k is as good as linux. My answer is usualy "Well its about time". Then again, if Win2k is "as good" and can do "all that linux does" I say install it on a 368 with 16 megs of RAM and then tell me which is the *better* OS.

Of course, Im talking about machines used in mission critical enviroments, not home use. Home desktop PC's are a different story.. still, Linux can be set up to run with a GUI on very low powered machines that Windows would choke on.
Old 30th September 2002, 22:54   #252
xzxzzx
Forum King

• What the fuck? You don't even know what software I use, so you really are in no position to say this. Jesus Christ, you're dense.
    I'm not sure what you thought I said, but what I meant is that I can undersand that point, in general sort of terms. For anther thing, my IQ is above 150 - I'm not that dense. And why are you insulted? I was agreeing with you.
  • Way to misinterpret my post.
    Thank you :P
  • I never once specifically named "Microsoft" in that point. My point is that Windows is a commercial operating system which has a lot of commercial software available for it. The software selection for Linux is almost entirely open-sourced software (which I have my qualms against, such as the previously mentioned lack of quality control standards, among other things,) with just a handful of commercial software (almost all of which I am very pleased with.)

I'm sorry, but to me, the implication was Linux vs. Windows. If you indeed, "don't just buy software for the software, but also for the peace of mind" then you won't want to use Windows, would you?
  • Commercial software as a whole has its plus-sides which can't be denied. Besides, this isn't a communist work-for-nothing-but-the-people world we live in. Almost the entire world now is capitalist. You make something, such as a software application, and you should expect to get compensation in return. Money is a motivator. The more money the developers get, the more motivated they are to continue developing to make their software better and more powerful. With the open-source community, the collective of developers just work on the software whenever they get some free time and feel like contributing.
    I am *NOT* saying that commertial software is bad. I'm a programmer. I expect to get paid for my work, and I pay for plenty of software.
  • Oh, give me a fucking break.
    No
  • You call yourself a Linux user
    No I don't.
  • and you can't even do so much as post links to GOOD, COMPETENT DISTROS?
    What? Who said anything about distros? I was talking about *SUPPORT*.
  • Mandrake is the most stupidest, insecure, bloated resource hogging distro around. RedHat isn't as bad as Mandrake, but it still ranks up there in the "shit distros" category. SuSE... well, to tell you the honest truth, I've never tried it, since I really don't see the sense in paying for a Linux distro. The other free distros are goon in the sense that you can try them out and remove them if you don't like them WITHOUT having to pay for so much as a peek at the distro.

Personally, I don't like Mandrake - I havn't used Redhat, and I like Suse. Then again, I use Windows most of the time, becuase I use Windows-only programming tools. I'm not a Linux expert - though I do prefer Linux.
  • Debian, Slackware and LFS are the true Linux distros. Accept no substitutes.
    Good to know
  • I'm just waiting for the FreeBSD trolls to come in here and attempt to stir shit with both us Windows users and us Linux users... heheheheh...
    Now THAT's gonna be funny

Old 1st October 2002, 20:49   #253
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

im sorry im sorry im sorry i have to chime in

almost the entire world is mixed economics. capitalism died in the early 1900's. there are no more pure economies left on the planet. all mixed.

Doesn't opensource insure quality control?

I'm Back?
Old 1st October 2002, 21:13   #254
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Yes, IMHO.

Old 1st October 2002, 21:24   #255
virulent

Quote:
Of course. If its broken, it won't be used. Better yet, you'll get 2345587 emails TELLING you its broken. Then you fix it, or let it die. Open Source gives the USER a voice in what gets done and what features are implemented in future versions. Or someone might even take it upon themselves to entirely rewrite something and do it better. The fact that huge coperations (MS, to name only one) keep their code entirely to themselves does more to hinder development than help it. If I coded something and you found a bug, I could have it fixed and posted by the next day. How long does it take for MS and the others to release fixes, patches and new versions?

Quality control is then defined by an developer/user relationship, rather than entire R&D/Help Desk/Support departments. I find that to be a far more reassuring.
Old 1st October 2002, 21:29   #256
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Oh wait I read that angry quote post wrong. I thought it was stating open source has no quality control and all that is in the Commerical Software only...

I'm Back?
Old 2nd October 2002, 00:47   #257
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Oh wait I read that angry quote post wrong. I thought it was stating open source has no quality control and all that is in the Commerical Software only...
no, i think the angry post was (if i remember) talking about there being very little user support for linux, because if you don't know how to use it, noone has time to help you, as they're too busy fixing their code

open source is great for people who know what they're doing, and what they want.

Old 3rd October 2002, 19:02   #258
penguinxp

Send a message via Yahoo to penguinxp
look at my name

and also look at my ava...... both os have their advantages/disadvantages....... cant we all just get along?
penguinxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2002, 19:24   #259
virulent

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
open source is great for people who know what they're doing, and what they want.
I hate screaming RTFM at people, but really.. there is so much information in the way of general linux help sites like this one, or in the way of simple HOW-TO documents which can easily be found en masse by doing a search on Google.

Not to mention literally megs and megs worth of documentation almost every distro offers to be installed.
Old 3rd October 2002, 19:40   #260
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
I hate screaming RTFM at people, but really.. there is so much information in the way of general linux help sites like this one, or in the way of simple HOW-TO documents which can easily be found en masse by doing a search on Google.

Not to mention literally megs and megs worth of documentation almost every distro offers to be installed.
a point well missed. what i mean is, if you know exactly what you want your computer to do, and exactly how it should do it, linux is great. otherwise its strengh of vision is kinda wasted. people who prefer just to kinda guess their way through will be more at ease with a windows or mac operating system.

Old 4th October 2002, 05:56   #261
JADias1

Re: It sucks!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by kcg795
I downloaded both discs of Mandrake 8.0 with my 56 Modem, loaded it on my old computer and it ran slow as hell, it was VERY unstable, the sound didn't work right. The sound was distorted, stereo sound was reversed, and it skipped like hell. Windows, especially XP, is WAY more stable than Linux and a hell of a lot faster too. Linux is a piece of shit and I'd wipe my ass with sand paper before I even TOUCH linux again. For now, I'm sticking with XP. WAY better than Linux. Shit, Windows 3.1 is more stable than Linux.
Ok. Let's see why. IT'S AN OLD COMPUTER. Its probably a 486. You say Win 3.1 was more stable. That's probably true. But guess what? it had NO FUNCTIONALITY and it was built for SIMPLE COMPUTERS like your old one. You say Linux runs slower. Did you TRY disabling processes you don't need? That's the difference. You can control what process you do and don't need.
JADias1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2002, 06:44   #262
JADias1

Quote:
i thought driver had a different name in the linux world. like module or somethin
A module is a bit of code that expands functionality. In many cases, it works like a driver. The thing about modules that make them different from standalone drivers, however, is that they can be added and removed to and from the kernel (insmod and rmmod, if i am correct) when not needed, so that you can gain some more power when you don't need it.

Now thats cleared up------------------------------------------------

I am tired of this Linux argument. Not because im getting bored, not because "i don't know anything," but because of the people (both for linux and windows) who dont realize that they are insulting other people who are doing nothing more than speaking from EXPERIENCE. Computers are not standard! What will/won't work on one person's computer may not/may work on another's! How about quitting with the first person saying "It's shit cuz i couldn't get it to work" and the second person saying "well, that's because you're a dumbass. I got mine to work. You most definatly know absolutely nothing about computers." Let me tell you a story. After making absoluelty no changes to my computer, one day it abruptly decided to not boot properly. I rebuilt 5x. It never worked. Remember that I had made no changes. On the 6th, it booted. Why? To be honest I have no clue to this day. But that proves a point. COMPUTERS ARE QUIRKY. get over it. Forget about what may work on one person's computer may not work on another's. One may work on one person's computer 1 day may not work the next. It that weren't true, then Bill Gates' support staff (and Red Hat's support staff, for that matter) would be out of a job.

Windows and Linux has their pros and cons. I will not go through them all because, frankly, im not smart enough. But I dual boot Win2000PRO with RH Linux 7.1 on a 466 Celeron. They both function smoothly and well. I've had problems with both. But I will say this: Linux is much more stable than Winows and it has been documented to be so. Now I don't want some person saying "Well, I run Win XP and I've never had a problem!!! So you're dumb!" If that's true, congratulations, good for you, and I wish you the best. But I know someone who refuses to shut down their Linux box because he is afraid the hardware may not startup again. Is this a bit rash and to be quite frank pointless? probably, but itshows Linux' proven reliability. Blue Screens. We have all experienced those (except a certain minority of replies to this group who seem hellbent on insulting people because they have not had problems and dont see a reason why anyone else would). It is not there in Linux. If there is a problem, there is a core dump, that you can take care of in your convenience. But you can still use your computer. Turn off the service that is causing the panic fix it and turn it back on again without changing the computer's "power status."

So, without this turning into a pro Linux post let me post some of the pross& cons

Windows Linux
Customizable to a degree Y
Mainstream Y N
On the rise N Y (IBM, HP,
US GOvt, Amazon, etc)
software advantage Y N
Gaming Y N, though it is rising
Can be used as a server win2000advserver Y
More Hardware compatibility N Y
Kernel Size strict custmizable
GUI Windows too many to count Windowmaker, Kde, Gnome, Ximian, etc)
Memory Management Y Y, but better

Overall, they're both good. If Microsoft wants to charge for their product, that's fine. They have every right to do so, just as Linux Programmers have every right to do what they do for free. And I will continue to dual boot with future higher end Microsoft OS models and Linux.

I know this goes contrary to what i said earlier, but i can't help but wonder if whoever said that win 3.1 was better than linux was serious? I mean c'mon! Unix variant vs Win 3.1? That's comparing a 2003 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra to a 1996 Honda Civic (pay attention, tll you ricers.)

But hey, in the end, no one can MAKE you do anything, so whatever floats your boat, so to speak.
JADias1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2002, 10:43   #263
zootm
Forum King

well posted JADias1... the only thing i can really argue with is that you said that linux has more hardware compatibility than windows - which isn't true, unless you mean that it'll run satisfactorily on lower-end machines... but even so, i have a computer that ran win2k fine, but can't run KDE at all... which is a bit weird...

Old 9th October 2002, 21:50   #264
blackjackel

Linux rules, windows sux

The only reason i am not using linux on my laptop is because it dosent have support for my soundcard and i have a crapload of MP3's

For whoever claimed they can put their XP system against a linux system, your on, i use both linux and XP. First of all 2000 is WAY more stable than XP despite what microsoft claims, second of all, there are linux distros out there that are extremely newbie freindly.

IF YOU ARE A N00B GO GET Lycoris linux.

I have tried it myself and can say that is almost as easy to use as windows XP since it does almost everything exactly like XP does.

You can get other n00b freindly distros like mandrake and redhat but those require some reading (windows users have a hard time with that)

so lets take a comparison

1) Linux is rock stable only crashes on beta and unstable software released by vendors if used by the user,

XP crashes on 3rd party softwares and memory errors and even on supposedly "Stable" programs out there

2) linux is one of the most secure OS's one can own.

Any windows version is a joke when it comes to security, and thats not a joke. New holes are discovered every day with windows (one recent hole in XP allows anyone to delete any file from your computer.

3) linux is 100% free

Windows hmmm 100? 150 bucks?

4)WHEN you get games running on linux through Wine (windows emulation) etc, games run at framerates double, triple, or even qudruple the speed of windows.
Ive seen people run games on linux that go over 400 frames per second

Windows cant even touch linux. Anyone who says windows sux and calls themselves a 1337 H4x0r is a moron PERIOD.

And if you claim i hate microsoft, who wouldnt? they force you to pay 100 bucks for crappy software?????? You guys that like microsoft havent even heard the first thing about microsoft, they OWN people. They will do ANYTHING to suck every last penny out of your pocket.
blackjackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2002, 00:03   #265
zootm
Forum King

wow blackjackel! that added nothing to the conversation, while being completely one-sided at the same time!

read the thread first, please.

Old 10th October 2002, 02:56   #266
BDA7DD

Quote:
Originally posted by blackjackel
I'm an idiot, ding ding.,
Old 10th October 2002, 03:22   #267
I am Jesus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to I am Jesus
Quote:
Originally posted by BDA7DD

LOL
I am Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2002, 03:33   #268
BDA7DD

Quote:
Originally posted by I am Jesus
LOL
There's plenty more where that came from. 306 images and growing steadily, to be exact.
Old 10th October 2002, 03:55   #269
I am Jesus
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by BDA7DD

There's plenty more where that came from. 306 images and growing steadily, to be exact.

I take it you use those a lot on cs forums?
Old 10th October 2002, 04:39   #270
BDA7DD

Quote:
Originally posted by I am Jesus
I take it you use those a lot on cs forums?
CS? Counterstrike? HELL NO. If there's one thing I hate more than Counterstrike, it's the majority of rabid 13-year-old Linkin Park fanboys who swear like sailors and claim to be "hax0Rz" when in reality the only thing they've ever "hacked" in their entire pathetic worthless lives is a wall with help from their "EZ 2 USE" quick options menu in OGC Hook. If it weren't for the hoards of imbeciles who make up the CS community, I might actually still be playing that poor excuse for a "realism" mod.

However, I do use these images quite often on the Something Awful forums, since nearly all of the images in my collection were made by members of that forum. The SA forums are probably the only forums which I can truly say I'm proud to be a member of.
Old 11th October 2002, 13:46   #271
jscriptstuff

Send a message via AIM to jscriptstuff
Yipee!

I just got Mandrake Linux...

Did I do the right thing, or should I dump it and go with another Linux? I have no expreience with Linux at all, but I thought it would be a good idea to learn. I just came across Mandrake, and it seems to work fine.
jscriptstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2002, 14:00   #272
I am Jesus
Major Dude

Re: Yipee!

Quote:
Originally posted by jscriptstuff
I just got Mandrake Linux...

Did I do the right thing, or should I dump it and go with another Linux? I have no expreience with Linux at all, but I thought it would be a good idea to learn. I just came across Mandrake, and it seems to work fine.

Thats good, Mandrake is noob friendly anyways. Just mess around and read and have fun with it, it's not a Job, just fun.
Old 12th October 2002, 01:36   #273
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

counterstrike online... crappy from hacking
counterstrike lanparty is all good.

I'm Back?
Old 12th October 2002, 01:40   #274
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
counterstrike online... crappy from hacking
counterstrike lanparty is all good.
but not quite as all good as lanparty ut2003 on bombing run! which runs through linux from the box! so it's almost relevant!

Old 12th October 2002, 01:46   #275
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm

but not quite as all good as lanparty ut2003 on bombing run! which runs through linux from the box! so it's almost relevant!
damn right.

ut > cs*10^23

Quote:
From Yamamoto
Linux is only good for game servers

I'm Back?
Old 12th October 2002, 05:46   #276
BDA7DD

Quote:
ut > cs*10^23
No no, you've got the formula all wrong. The proper formula is:

code:
Counterstrike < *

Oh, and to anyone who thinks CS actually has some form of "realism", read the report on cs.summerblue.net and see for yourself how CS is hardly "realistic" at all and would be more accurately described as "team deathmatch with weapons inspired by the real world."
Old 12th October 2002, 11:49   #277
zootm
Forum King

which is why i preferred playing the original UT with the old version of tactical ops, which allowed you to play the original game with the weapons of tacops, which was uber-fun. bullet weapons do feel more powerful and right, in general, but a game totally populated with them can only have so many weapon skills to use. not being a tactician, i find this quite boring, as once everyone is a half-decent shot, it comes down to who spots the other player first 9 times out of 10, which just ain't that fun. in UT, you have to learn some real skills, and there's no attacks with no counter.

oh, and it supports linux out of the box, assuming this is still a linux thread...

Old 17th October 2002, 13:24   #278
kermittfroggy

Freebsd Troll in the house...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xzxzzx
[[*]I'm just waiting for the FreeBSD trolls to come in here and attempt to stir shit with both us Windows users and us Linux users... heheheheh...

There isn't much difference between freebsd and linux. Freebsd you just have to use the command line more, and its completly customizable, from the ground up. It's a working man's os You can't even compair it to Winblows, it has far better uses then just an average desktop system. While Winblows and Linux are all good for desktop oses, some one has to deal with the server end. Thats where freebsd comes in place. Hell even microshaft uses it for thier hotmail system. So if they use it over thier "2k and Xp" servers, then you know somethings up. Besides, Freebsd isn't for the average user, its more for the admin community, and the professionals. So leave us trolls out of it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Gates created windows in 2 years, Linus created linux in 10 days.
kermittfroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2002, 17:54   #279
BDA7DD

Re: Freebsd Troll in the house...

Quote:
Originally posted by kermittfroggy
Winblows... microshaft...
Wow, there goes your credibility. Go back to Slashdot, idiot.
Old 17th October 2002, 18:24   #280
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

Your claiming his post is wrong or what? Was 100% true if you ask me.

.: fwgx.co.uk.:.My art:.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News