Old 17th October 2002, 19:39   #281
BDA7DD

Send a message via ICQ to BDA7DD Send a message via AIM to BDA7DD Send a message via Yahoo to BDA7DD
Quote:
Originally posted by Phily Baby
Your claiming his post is wrong or what? Was 100% true if you ask me.
While his post was pretty true, I'm just saying is that it's very hard to take someone seriously as a credible source of information when they're going around using terms like "Winblows" and "Microshaft" just to try (while failing miserably) to sound all cool and elite.
BDA7DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2002, 20:48   #282
kermittfroggy

Dare I utter those words?

Quote:
Originally posted by BDA7DD

While his post was pretty true, I'm just saying is that it's very hard to take someone seriously as a credible source of information when they're going around using terms like "Winblows" and "Microshaft" just to try (while failing miserably) to sound all cool and elite.
Why should I even utter those fowl words that Bill Gates decided to name his products and company. I don't use any m$ products, nor want to. If you want a desktop solution try Lindows. They just upgraded it recently to ver. 2.0. Now, I think thats $100 well spent. Installs in about 10 minutes, hardly any configuration, plus there is over 1,000 apps, some open source some not. It even runs a few m$ products. I'll have to agree some of the m$ products out there arnt crap, but the ones that arn't are you willing to pay $150 - $800 for something thats going to be outdated in about a year or two, then turn around and buy the upgrade for about the same price? Why do you think gateway stopped shipping pcs with m$ office installed? They switched to corel because its cheaper. I'll stick with linux and freebsd anyday. IMHO m$ just needs to re-think thier pricing plans, and hop on the good foot and do the right thing.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Simon's Law: Everything put together falls apart sooner or later.
kermittfroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2002, 21:48   #283
zootm
Forum King

yes, but calling them microshaft, m$ etc. has been done a million times, and just makes you sound like a sad geek-type.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2002, 00:17   #284
BDA7DD

Send a message via ICQ to BDA7DD Send a message via AIM to BDA7DD Send a message via Yahoo to BDA7DD
Re: I'm an idiot, ding ding.,

Quote:
Originally posted by kermittfroggy
MY BRAIN IS MELTING
You really are a fucking moron. Seriously, GO BACK TO SLASHDOT. There are PLENTY of imbeciles like you who'll gladly mod up every one of your posts that contains words like "Micro$oft", "Microshaft", "Winblows" and other crap like that. Just don't mention anything even remotely Microsoft-related in a positive light or you'll get nothing but "1- (Troll)" ratings.

Oh, and I can't believe you're going on about how amazing Linux is, then mention LINDOWS as a desktop solution which you actually PAID FOR and USE. Fuck, ANY competent Linux user knows that you can run Windows applications with help from applications like WINE and WineX, and if all else fails you can install VMware or Virtual PC to run Windows itself in a virtual machine. Why waste money on Lindows to have Linux with Windows application compatibility built into it when you can do it just as well (if not better) with the applications I just mentioned?

Some people...
Old 18th October 2002, 00:50   #285
kermittfroggy

Re: Re: I'm an idiot, ding ding.,

Oh, and I can't believe you're going on about how amazing Linux is, then mention LINDOWS as a desktop solution which you actually PAID FOR and USE.

If your going to pay for something why pay for noseblows? I'd rather pay $100 to a company that uses linux as thier desktop, knowing that I won't have to pay anymore for support. Can you say that about M$?

Fuck, ANY competent Linux user knows that you can run Windows applications with help from applications like WINE and WineX, and if all else fails you can install VMware or Virtual PC to run Windows itself in a virtual machine. Why waste money on Lindows to have Linux with Windows application compatibility built into it when you can do it just as well (if not better) with the applications I just mentioned?

I'm not talking about "any competent Linux user". I'm talking about someone who wants to get away from microsoft, who couldn't tell the difference between a hole in his ass to a hole in his head.

Some people... [/QUOTE]

yeah some people... Just leave us trolls, alone, I was just puttin in my two cents, seems like you are the only one who has a point to argue, and your points are futile, and illogical.
To boldly go where no man has gone before.. the windows registry.
Old 18th October 2002, 01:27   #286
BDA7DD

Re: Re: Re: I'm an idiot, ding ding.,

Quote:
noseblows
Never heard that one before...

/me adds "noseblows" to mental list of stupid alternative names for Windows invented by equally stupid Linux trolls...

Quote:
a company that uses linux as thier desktop
Who the fuck cares what the people at Lindows use as their desktop OS? What YOU use is all that matters. And how do YOU know what they use? Don't assume that they use the product they make.

Quote:
knowing that I won't have to pay anymore for support. Can you say that about M$?
First of all, support is free for anything. You just need to put some effort into looking for it. And yes, I can say the same for Microsoft. Ever heard of msnews.microsoft.com? There's your free Microsoft support, not that you'd ever use it, being the oh-so-mighty Linux guru you are .

Quote:
I'm not talking about "any competent Linux user". I'm talking about someone who wants to get away from microsoft, who couldn't tell the difference between a hole in his ass to a hole in his head.
Yeah, well I'm talking about YOU, not anyone else. As in YOU, the person who went out and bought Lindows, despite already being a Linux user who should know about the alternative applications to Lindows by now.

Quote:
your points are futile, and illogical.
So not only are you a moron, you're also a hypocrite. This doesn't surprise me one bit.
Old 18th October 2002, 04:21   #287
dopey

Send a message via ICQ to dopey
in reply

hmm ok i have stayed away from this thread for a while. Infact i forgot about it, but saw this and had to step in:

BDA7DD
hmm what can i say u seem to be picking a fight first off u come with :

"I hate having to use the command line for nearly every task imaginable. I want to configure everything from my desktop. Why use a pretty window manager like KDE when you're spending most of your time in a shell?"

and u finish by saying

"The second someone makes a Linux distro that hardly ever requires you to even look at a shell and has near-100% compatibility with all the Windows software out there, I'll ditch Windows for good then and there, and that's a promise."

Oh man i cant stop laughing HA HA HA..

u go on to say in your latest posts:

"Oh, and I can't believe you're going on about how amazing Linux is, then mention LINDOWS as a desktop solution which you actually PAID FOR and USE. Fuck, ANY competent Linux user knows that you can run Windows applications with help from applications like WINE and WineX, and if all else fails you can install VMware or Virtual PC to run Windows itself in a virtual machine. Why waste money on Lindows to have Linux with Windows application compatibility built into it when you can do it just as well (if not better) with the applications I just mentioned?"

So what the fuck exactly is lindows ?

The answer to your primary thing about when some one makes a linux distro which is like windows.

U go off on a tangent with someone else for listing redhat mandrake etc.. as good distros

Well from what u want they are ideal for u not the distros u mention of debian slackware etc..

Cos obviously u dont know fuck all.

followed by

"So not only are you a moron, you're also a hypocrite. This doesn't surprise me one bit."

Thats exaxctly what you are a moron and a hypocrite.

I havent used windows for many years, I dont need it dont want it dont have no use for it. Everything that is available for windows is available for linux more or less. In most cases there are tools available for linux that will NEVER be available for windows.

All that said and done. You actually have the balls to try and make out that the command line is useless, and then try and come off like your some linux expert. What i find funny about that is windows with xp has been trying to improve their command prompt mac which is now running on bsd base (os X) and for the first time actually has a proper cli, People i know who use it cant stop talking about how good it is. How they use wget to download files etc..

Funnier still you try to compare windows support to linux support. U provide one link for windows support:
Ill provide u one link

http://www.tldp.org/

all u need to get any linux up and running, and become fairly compitent. On top of which distros like suse and redhat in their retail versions provide books which cover everything u will need to know. and also provide their own support hotlines. Now please try and tell me suse is shit.. U fool.

U know the names of some distros and spurt them like using them makes u an expert.
I use Debian btw.. The only reason i use it is cos i like apt-get and i like .debs and prefer them to rpm's, but thats a bit of a none issue as apt-get tools have been developed for rpm based distros now aswell, just cant be arsed to switch i like things the way i have setup. My desktop is debian (amdxp1800+geforce4mx440+tv-card+loads of other shit) and my server is debian . I am competent i know my way around but would never class myself as an expert or a guru. Just know my way around. Most of my mates run suse, Which is quality and if i could be arsed would probably switch to it, or to gentoo.

Check out redhat 8. Looks stunning set up in about 10-20 minutes easy as hell to install configure good for beginner and expert.

So whats wrong with calling an overpriced bug ridden shitty os by its real name

Micro$haft Winblows.

That describes the company to the bone.
I never seen linux using FUD tactics have u ? Hmm what was microsofts statements about opensource gnu is a virus. Then further saying that linux is unstable unreliable (ho hum -- i think they musta been talking about their own lame excuse for an os)

"Linux has achieved the top billing in terms of their No. 1 enemy,'' said Scott McAdams, chief executive of McAdams Wright Ragen, which manages about $1.7 billion and owns shares of Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft.

from
http://quote.bloomberg.com/fgcgi.cgi...7xmhVhTWljcm9z

Hmm linux vs windows;

M$ scared shitless about linux. Linux developers couldnt really give a damn,

Use it if u want dont use it your loss.
The way i have begun to see it. But Dont bash people who in the very first case made a relevent point about bsd* and tried to post it as funny.. Then u come in and try and slate the man calling him hypocrite when u cant even get your story straight, sit down and stfu.

About the only thing I hate about bsd is their licensing miscrosoft for years has been theifing their ideas and innovations. The whole of windows ip stack is from bsd. If they would change to a gnu/gpl based licensing instead of hey heres the source take it modify it and then sell it on if u want.

Micro$haft would then be fucked.
dopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2002, 04:30   #288
I am Jesus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to I am Jesus
People arguing over operating systems: GAY

It'll never end
I am Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2002, 06:36   #289
BDA7DD

Re: in reply

Alright, vslick22. You really need to learn to READ the fucking posts you're gonna respond to, because in that last post all you did was misinterpret my words, twist them around and OUTRIGHT LIE by quoting me as saying things I never said.

Let's go:

Quote:
Originally posted by vslick22
hmm what can i say u seem to be picking a fight first off u come with :

"I hate having to use the command line for nearly every task imaginable. I want to configure everything from my desktop. Why use a pretty window manager like KDE when you're spending most of your time in a shell?"

and u finish by saying

"The second someone makes a Linux distro that hardly ever requires you to even look at a shell and has near-100% compatibility with all the Windows software out there, I'll ditch Windows for good then and there, and that's a promise."

Oh man i cant stop laughing HA HA HA..
What's so funny about wanting a desktop OS that doesn't restrict me to a command line nearly all the time? That's not a bad thing. I actually like to use my mouse.

Quote:
u go on to say in your latest posts:

"Oh, and I can't believe you're going on about how amazing Linux is, then mention LINDOWS as a desktop solution which you actually PAID FOR and USE. Fuck, ANY competent Linux user knows that you can run Windows applications with help from applications like WINE and WineX, and if all else fails you can install VMware or Virtual PC to run Windows itself in a virtual machine. Why waste money on Lindows to have Linux with Windows application compatibility built into it when you can do it just as well (if not better) with the applications I just mentioned?"

So what the fuck exactly is lindows ?

The answer to your primary thing about when some one makes a linux distro which is like windows.
Lindows is pretty much what you get when you slap WINE and WineX onto Mandrake and give it a price tag. That's not my kind of distro.

Quote:
U go off on a tangent with someone else for listing redhat mandrake etc.. as good distros

Well from what u want they are ideal for u not the distros u mention of debian slackware etc..
Debian is the distro I use on my Linux machine. It's pretty ideal for me, since it's easy enough to install, and it comes with some pretty good X window managers for easy navigation.

Quote:
"So not only are you a moron, you're also a hypocrite. This doesn't surprise me one bit."

Thats exaxctly what you are a moron and a hypocrite.
Not ONCE did I ever contradict myself during this entire discussion. Don't go crying hypocracy when you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Quote:
Everything that is available for windows is available for linux more or less.
One word: GAMES.

Quote:
In most cases there are tools available for linux that will NEVER be available for windows.
In terms of TOOLS, then yes, I agree with that statement, which is pretty much the ONLY thing I can agree with you on at the moment.

Quote:
All that said and done. You actually have the balls to try and make out that the command line is useless, and then try and come off like your some linux expert.
First of all, I never said the command line was "useless." I said it was a pain in the ass, but not useless. Secondly, I never claimed to be a Linux "expert." I've already mentioned a few times that I'm far from being an expert at Linux and am still fairly new to it when compared to the experience and knowledge of veteran Linux users.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by vslick22
[B]Funnier still you try to compare windows support to linux support. U provide one link for windows support:
Ill provide u one link

http://www.tldp.org/

all u need to get any linux up and running, and become fairly compitent.

Quote:
On top of which distros like suse and redhat in their retail versions provide books which cover everything u will need to know. and also provide their own support hotlines.
As for the books, I already have plenty of those. As for the support hotlines, well, I admit that I didn't know about that certain benefit of buying the boxed sets.

Quote:
Now please try and tell me suse is shit.. U fool.
Yet another example of you PUTTING FUCKING WORDS IN MY MOUTH. I never ONCE said that SuSE was "shit" or anything even remotely close to that. Just fuck off until you get some God damn reading comprehension skills.

Quote:
geforce4mx440
I know this is drifting from the topic, but... HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, you got ripped off, bitch! Didn't you know? The GeForce4 MX is essentially nothing but a rebadged GeForce2 with a higher price tag. Even a GeForce3 can outperform a GF4MX. Hell, the GF4MX doesn't even have SHADERS for crying out loud. Oh God, that's hilarious. You may know your operating systems, but you sure don't know your hardware. Hahahahahahaha.

Quote:
I never seen linux using FUD tactics have u ? Hmm what was microsofts statements about opensource gnu is a virus. Then further saying that linux is unstable unreliable (ho hum -- i think they musta been talking about their own lame excuse for an os)
So Microsoft's PR department is full of shit. What else is new?

Quote:
M$ scared shitless about linux.
That's only human of them. I would be scared too if I were in their position.

Quote:
Micro$haft would then be fucked.
Microsoft WILL be fucked soon enough once there's a Linux distro out there that anyone can have a use for, including the server administrator, the software developer, the hardcore gamer, the grandmother and the casual Web surfer. Lindows seems to be heading in that direction, but by the time Lindows can truly be called a "complete" OS with all the usability and compatibility it says it'll have in the future, there'll probably already be a free alternative Lindows alternative Linux distro with a plethora of extra options and features.

This WILL happen some day. It's all just a matter of waiting for that day to come. Only in the recent years has Linux gained such mainstream recognition, which means that now is the best time for the developers and members of the open source community to band together and turn Linux into the desktop OS they'd like to see in every computer user's household. I give it five years, ten years tops. Unless and until Microsoft actually INNOVATES instead of slapping more eye candy on their currently existing OSes and calling them new products, they're absolutely doomed to failure.
Old 18th October 2002, 09:07   #290
kermittfroggy

Re: Re: in reply

You really need to learn to READ the fucking posts you're gonna respond to, because in that last post all you did was misinterpret my words, twist them around and OUTRIGHT LIE by quoting me as saying things I never said.

Seems like your the one misinterpreting posts....

If you'd quit nitpicking, and trying to find anything and everything wrong with someone's post you might actually start making a little sense. My first post that I ever posted on this board, and out of the whole thing, the only thing you could nitpick at was the fact I was using the whole micro$haft thing. You sir are a pathetic excuse of a poster. You probally sit back all day looking at posts, trying to find something wrong with something someone else said, then make fun of it.

This WILL happen some day. It's all just a matter of waiting for that day to come. Only in the recent years has Linux gained such mainstream recognition, which means that now is the best time for the developers and members of the open source community to band together and turn Linux into the desktop OS they'd like to see in every computer user's household.

Its been recognized quit often in the past, as one of the most stable oses in history, from the day it was created. Why do you think so many small isps use it as thier servers? I happen to work for an isp as an assistant admin. We use freebsd as our primary server. We have mail, dns, web serving, authentication, and everything that an isp needs running all on one PIII 500mhz. I'd like to see a NT box do that! Our server hasn't crashed once, and even if it did, we have a backup that is configured in the same fashon. Quite a few isps have the same configuration, if not they are using two or more unix boxes. We have been using unix on our servers for about 6 years now. Once again like the man said.. "obviously u dont know fuck all."

I give it five years, ten years tops. Unless and until Microsoft actually INNOVATES instead of slapping more eye candy on their currently existing OSes and calling them new products, they're absolutely doomed to failure.

They are already doomed to failure.

As for calling me a moron and a hypocrite. Well, I can't say the same about you, since you don't know what the hell your talking about. If you don't know what your talking about then obviously your a hypocrite. Calling other people names over something that a person has pointed out is just childish.

Oh, and by the way, notice, not once in my previous posts that I was immature and had to use fowl language. So your probally some little punk that doesn't know any better than to try to argue endless points and crying over spilled milk. God forbid when someone steps on your toes and hurts your feelings. Go to bed little one, why don't you just go to bed.
"... After all, all he did was string together a lot of old, well-known quotations." -- H. L. Mencken, on Shakespeare
Old 18th October 2002, 13:04   #291
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
I know almost everyone has seen it. But:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php...02-07-22&res=l

It applies here
it still applies guys. let's talk in english. or are you too 1337 to string a sentence together?

Old 18th October 2002, 22:18   #292
JADias1

3 Words: FREEDOM OF SPEECH
which includes, by the way, the right to say something like Micro$haft Winblows. Why? Because it's true.Windows is PREFECTLY WITH ME for anyone who does not need advanced computer uses.

Quote:
One word: GAMES.
LOL! You CANT BE SERIOUS!!!!! My god, i was crying when i read that. I refuse to dignify that statement with a response, less what I have said already.

Listen. You obviously don't like Windows. That's cool with me. Your loss. You want to use a mouse? Try an XWindow system like KDE, GNOME, Ximian (my favorite version of GNOME), Window Maker. The list is endless. Don't like one? Make your own. HAIL OPEN SOURCE!

Now don't get me wrong. I beleive that if someone wants to charge for their inferior product, they have every right to do so. Just as programmers have their own right to release distros gratis .

You obviously lack intelligence. YOu try to pull other people down by showing off that you might understand the slightest concept such as credibility, when it backfires and you shoot yourself in the foot.

Good Luck. Oh and by the way, if you have the intelligence to understand this analogy: I like Wine Red Cars. I don't like Yellow Cars. You cannot make me drive a Yellow Car.
JADias1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2002, 10:50   #293
zootm
Forum King

you obviously lack intelligence. we didn't say you couldn't type "micro$haft winblows". we said it makes you look stupid and geeky (geekier even than me, and i compiled my own darn linux kernel).

also, you say people don't like windows, then go on to try and convince them to use linux? chances are they're already converted. read your post again.

and i'm happy with my two metaphorical cars, thank you very much.

Old 19th October 2002, 14:27   #294
virulent

Send a message via AIM to virulent

Quote:
Debian is the distro I use on my Linux machine. It's pretty ideal for me, since it's easy enough to install, and it comes with some pretty good X window managers for easy navigation.
You talk about credibility, then say this? Do you realise that Lindows is nothing but Debian running a cusomized version of KDE? If you use KDE on your nice little Debian box, you're using Lindows for all intents and purposes.

The more I read from you the more I think that this isn't the place for you. I don't really give a rats ass if you have a problem with someone spelling Microsoft incorrectly. I think people that say "u" and "ur" are retarded personally.. if you can't spell out a 3 letter word, you don't belong online. Do you see me attacking them? No. Its called maturity and restraint.

Your arguements suck, your attitude is horrible and all you do is pick on peoples spelling. Maybe YOU need to go back to www.WINBLOWS.com *snicker*

As for the rest of you: Windows does lots of things, we know this. Like it or not, MS is King of the Hill. We're all aware of that. MS is currently trying to exploit that status by introducing many things that destroy the rights and freedoms of their consumers. You can read about that elsewhere, my point here is only that MS is in the wrong. They just are. Regardless of whether you like Linux or not, MS is a very frightening company with very frightening goals. When you argue for your OS keep all this in mind. Linux users, for the most part, have been aware of all this for a long time and it helped to push them to another OS. We tend to be very loyal people and chuckle when we see what MS is doing next. I don't really think you can blame us.
virulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2002, 17:05   #295
zootm
Forum King

Re: Re: Re: in reply

Quote:
Originally posted by virulent
As for the rest of you: Windows does lots of things, we know this. Like it or not, MS is King of the Hill. We're all aware of that. MS is currently trying to exploit that status by introducing many things that destroy the rights and freedoms of their consumers. You can read about that elsewhere, my point here is only that MS is in the wrong. They just are. Regardless of whether you like Linux or not, MS is a very frightening company with very frightening goals. When you argue for your OS keep all this in mind. Linux users, for the most part, have been aware of all this for a long time and it helped to push them to another OS. We tend to be very loyal people and chuckle when we see what MS is doing next. I don't really think you can blame us.
this is true. if longhorn does what it's planning, i won't use it. i'm not supporting microsoft in any way (i don't need to pay for OSs, and they can't access my computer, both due to the intervention of my university). i have recently (finally!) found some spare HD space to use for linux, which, admittedly, is of little use to me, but is handing for coding etc. (windows is a bitch for development imo). the only difference i see between your philosophy and mine is that i'm not loyal to anything - i take what does the job. which, hopefully, will soon be linux.

Old 20th October 2002, 00:07   #296
BDA7DD

Quote:
Oh, and by the way, notice, not once in my previous posts that I was immature and had to use fowl language. So your probally some little punk that doesn't know any better than to try to argue endless points and crying over spilled milk. God forbid when someone steps on your toes and hurts your feelings. Go to bed little one, why don't you just go to bed.
I use "fowl(sic) language" to add some emotion to my arguments. A lot of people do this. It helps them to better express their point. Besides, I talk like this offline as well, it's not just something I do over the 'Net.

Also, I am neither little nor a punk. I'm a 19 year old avid martial artist who plays curling during the winter and baseball during the summer. I don't dress, act or in any way even vaguely resemble a punk. I don't associate with the punk crowd and I sure as hell don't listen to their shitty music.

Quote:
Originally posted by JADias1
LOL! You CANT BE SERIOUS!!!!!
I am serious. There are hardly ANY games for Linux compared to those already available for Windows. It doesn't matter if Linux has 500 games or 5000 games, the fact is that Windows has pretty much EVERYTHING. The ratio of Windows games to Linux games is astronomical, and I don't see it even coming close to balancing out any time soon.

Quote:
Originally posted by JADias1
You want to use a mouse? Try an XWindow system like KDE, GNOME, Ximian (my favorite version of GNOME), Window Maker. The list is endless.
No shit. When I said I want to use a mouse, what I was referring to is that I don't like spending my time in a shell to perform simple tasks like installing and configuring software. Read the thread before posting.

Quote:
If you use KDE on your nice little Debian box, you're using Lindows for all intents and purposes.
While I understand that KDE is pretty much like the Lindows desktop, the fact is that I paid NOTHING for Debian instead of paying around $100 USD for Lindows. That's the point I'm trying to make here.

Also, I'm beginning to distance myself from KDE. I use Enlightenment most of the time now unless there's something I absolutely need to do in KDE.

Quote:
I think people that say "u" and "ur" are retarded personally.. if you can't spell out a 3 letter word, you don't belong online.
You know, it's a shame we can't get along. I also firmly agree with this sentiment. Personally, I blame AOL for this "Internet user penmanship retardation" epidemic, being the people who practically INVENTED many of the stupid acronyms you see frequently used in chat rooms (such as "A/S/L,") but I'm sure there are others at fault. I also find AOL/TW to be much more of an "evil monopoly" than Microsoft, but I'm not gonna derail this topic further by elaborating on that opinion.

Quote:
Like it or not, MS is King of the Hill.
I think that's generally what this all boils down to. Even if Windows eventually fails in the OS market, Microsoft has billions of dollars to invest in other projects. Even though Windows is probably their most top-selling product, as we all know, that's not the only thing they make. They've already entered the video game market with the XBOX, and although the XBOX isn't doing too well compared to the competition, it's still doing pretty damn well considering it's Microsoft's first step into the console gaming hardware market. When/If Windows fails, they can just focus on their share of the video game market, or whatever other market(s) they've stepped into at that point in time. If Windows goes down, I doubt it'll take Microsoft down with it.

Last edited by BDA7DD; 20th October 2002 at 00:34.
Old 20th October 2002, 00:10   #297
virulent

I went to NHL.com today, because I like hockey, looking for some video clips of my boys, the B's, in action since I no longer have cable television (internet only). So I click Sign In and then get this message.

Quote:
Unfortunately, you can not currently watch any video clips on NHL.com with a Mac or using a Netscape browser. This is because of a compatibility issue between the Digital Rights Management (DRM) we use to securely deliver our content and those products.
And this.. THIS is where it starts. THIS is exactly what Linux users have been talking about and predicting for a very long time. You notice that not only is Linux left out (which of course, they didn't bother to name) but so are Macs. This is how its going to be on increasingly more and more sites.

"Use Windows, or you're screwed. Sorry."

And you wonder why people like myself are pushing Linux? To keep information free, to keep content from being blocked by the software you run on your computer. To stop people like Microsoft from dominating every possible field of technology. Right now, its software based. NHL.com uses WMA's which can be given individual licenses to be played back on a specific machine. In the up coming OS/Processor's its all hardware based.

I simply can't see how anyone can back this or claim that I'm being reactionary here. This is just the very begining.. its only going to get worse. Whether or not Windows "is good" or not shouldn't matter when it comes to video playback. My Linux machine can play back video just fine.. but why can't it use this website? Because its "Microsoft only" technology. Its a file format that can't be copied due to legal issues. And it effectivly locks out any one not using their software. Whats going to happen when this "locking out" is hardcoded directly into your processor?
Old 20th October 2002, 00:20   #298
I am Jesus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to I am Jesus
Posted by BDA7DD
Quote:
I am serious. There are hardly ANY games for Linux compared to those already available for Windows. It doesn't matter if Linux has 500 games or 5000 games, the fact is that Windows has pretty much EVERYTHING. The ratio of Windows games to Linux games is astronomical, and I don't see it even coming close to balancing out any time soon.

I agree, probaly the only good game that I would play on Linux is Quake.
I am Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2002, 00:21   #299
virulent

Re: Re: Re: Re: tarded posts

Quote:
Originally posted by BDA7DD Also, I'm beginning to distance myself from KDE. I use Enlightenment most of the time now unless there's something I absolutely need to do in KDE.
Good. KDE, while being easy to use, is a resouce hog and is flat out ugly. Gnome is about the same, although Gnome 2 with its Anti-aliased fonts looks pretty spiffy.

Personally, I use Enlightenment and EFM (enlightenment file manager). One handles my windows, the other gives me a desktop with anti-aliasing and alpha blending - Gnome only does AA.

www.violentfluid.com/New-EFM2.png

Quote:
Originally posted by BDA7DD You know, it's a shame we can't get along.
Well, just for me personally, you come off as a little to arrogant and don't usualy have much to say to back it up.. either that or you jump all over someone and go completely overboard. Just my opinion of course. You know what they say: No one likes a know-it-all.
Old 20th October 2002, 11:55   #300
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
And this.. THIS is where it starts. THIS is exactly what Linux users have been talking about and predicting for a very long time.
funny, it's also what a lot of FreeBSD, mac and (perhaps unbelievably) windows users have been saying for a long time too. don't be so exclusive. the problem is that microsoft (shaft, $oft, whichever looks right to your eyes) have got one thing that linux does not - marketing. and that's because marketing requires money, and that's what linux is fundamentally against.

hope comes in the fact that between people realising how restrictive ms products are becoming, due to an increased level of computer literacy, and the conversion of commercial software developers over to the "other side" (as they know it's a better development environment), to help publicise the OS, and make it popular outside the realms of people who know what they're doing. it's already started (see unreal tournament 2003, shipped with a linux installer). not everyone likes to use the command line. inevitably, there's gonne have to be more distros that avoid it altogether, no matter what the "hardcore" linux junkies say.

linux will not become a more mainstream OS without support from commercial companies with software. it's not about paying for software, it's about advertising. and i'm sorry that it's the case, but advertising is the most powerful tool to sell things these days. features don't matter until you're as well-known as the competition - only then do people think they should compare the actual validity of products.

sorry, that's something i've been trying to get off m'back for a while.

Old 20th October 2002, 14:01   #301
virulent

Yes, I know.. I didn't mean to make Linux Users out to be some elitist group that knows all. We just happen to be talking about Linux here, so.. I said Linux users accordingly.

And I agree with you 100%. Marketing is the key. I've been saying for months that if AMD would decide to NOT make MS's chips and then get on the television and tell people that THEIR chips do not interfere with your activities using any OS you please doing whatever you please with your machine.. that they'd probably soar above Intel with sales. People are starting to get really disgruntaled with MS, even the Windows users. But you're right, all it takes is marketing. This is what Microsoft has:

http://www.fuckedcompany.com/images/dancemonkeyboy.mpeg

So, according to that gem of video.. if we got Linus on stage with a guy in a penguin suite, we should be all set.
Old 21st October 2002, 17:15   #302
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Alright, vslick22. You really need to learn to READ the fucking posts you're gonna respond to, because in that last post all you did was misinterpret my words, twist them around and OUTRIGHT LIE by quoting me as saying things I never said.
Well, time for me to put in my 2 cents

First, BDA7DD, you say the following:

Quote:
Then:

Quote:
This is clearly contradictory, if I understand what Lindows is supposed to be - perhaps I'm wrong, but isn't Lindows supposed to be a "distro that hardly ever requires you to even look at a shell and has near-100% compatibility with all the Windows software out there", or at least an attempt at one? So, if you WANT a "distro that hardly ever requires you to even look at a shell and has near-100% compatibility with all the Windows software out there", and Lindows IS a "distro that hardly ever requires you to even look at a shell and has near-100% compatibility with all the Windows software out there", then, besides the price, what's the problem?

Now, it is true that Lindows does cost money, which is fundamentally against a part of Linux - which I suppose may be your point. But for other people who are used to 150$ / license, 100$ once definitely doesn't sound bad. Now, I don't know how well Lindows is doing in terms of creating compatibility, but if they are doing well, then what is the @#%@#$ big deal?

Perhaps Lindows is crap (I honestly don't know), but since you've apparently never tried it, how do you know? If you're going to say something as fact, back it up, or at least offer to.

This is *not* an endorsement of, for, or against vslick22 - he/she is obviously incorrect in some ways -
Quote:
"Now please try and tell me suse is shit.. U fool."
Uhh, yeah, right:
Quote:
SuSE... well, to tell you the honest truth, I've never tried it
Heh, one more thing:

Quote:
You know, it's a shame we can't get along. I also firmly agree with this sentiment. Personally, I blame AOL for this "Internet user penmanship retardation" epidemic, being the people who practically INVENTED many of the stupid acronyms you see frequently used in chat rooms (such as "A/S/L,") but I'm sure there are others at fault. I also find AOL/TW to be much more of an "evil monopoly" than Microsoft, but I'm not gonna derail this topic further by elaborating on that opinion.
Oh yeah God, I remember using AOL - I remembering how I thought it was so cool the whole "R U gona talk lik this?" (hey, I was 8) .. then I ... developed a few more brain cells, or something, and realized how idiotic it was, and it only really saves time if you can't type - it only takes a few hundred milliseconds to type "are" or "you", if you can actually type, as opposed to hunt and peck .

Thank god I got over that (um, even though I never actually used that -- I'm not sure how that works, but whatever). Though I really could never understand the whole "Micro$haft Winblows" thing - another stupid way of changing things to make yourself "cool".

Y d0nt w3 ju$7 7a1k 1ik3 7h1s? W3 w0u1d b3 31137. Ewww...

Though I do think some acronyms are useful - IMHO (In my humble opinion), and.. well, that's pretty much it. Maybe TTYL (talk to you later). But only in private chat, when you know the person knows the acronym, and only sparingly. Don't post with those (although I will violate with IMHO occasionally ... what can I say? I'm hypocritical on that )

Well, I can type... just need to learn how to spell (thank god for a M1c5o$haft W1nb10w$ spell checker. hahahah )

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.

Last edited by xzxzzx; 21st October 2002 at 17:39.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2002, 18:50   #303
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by ?
3 Words: FREEDOM OF SPEECH which includes, by the way, the right to say something like Micro$haft Winblows. Why? Because it's true.Windows is PREFECTLY WITH ME for anyone who does not need advanced computer uses.
Hmm... I'm not sure who originally posted the above. Whoever you are, FREEDOM OF SPEECH INCLUDES the speech telling someone to "shut the fuck up". So, without further ado:

---

Dear whoever the fuck uses "M$" or "Winblows", et cetera,

Shut the fuck up, you're a god damn idiot for using "M$" or "31337" or "Microshaft" or "Winblow$" or any combination of the above. I do not care if Bill Gates is an evil Hell Spawn who should be struck down by GOD, if Steve Balmer really is a monkey, if Microsoft has killed thousands who were "going to talk", if Microsoft is Evil Incarnate, and is the sole reason for any problem, ever, including problems before and after it's existence, and the reason for speed limits (the most evil of all).

THE COMPANY'S FUCKING NAME IS "Microsoft", and the product is called "WINDOWS", and "elite" is spelled E-L-I-T-E. The rest you should look up in your dictionary, and if you need to, remove the "$" key from your keyboard. Yes, you will be forced to use the numpad for "4", but it's for the greater good.

If you can't speak with the proper names for things, then you can just fuck off, because no one is going to take you seriously.

So one more time, they are all stupid ways to "make yourself cool", and you should just go hump a rock like your god damned turtle. Go back to /., and Fuck you!

Love, xzxzzx
:P

This has been posted before, but one more time, for the benefit of all:

Fuck you!

Oh, and this:

Linky

and this:

Linky2

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
Old 22nd October 2002, 00:05   #304
BDA7DD

Quote:
Originally posted by xzxzzx
Hmm... I'm not sure who originally posted the above. Whoever you are, FREEDOM OF SPEECH INCLUDES the speech telling someone to "shut the fuck up". So, without further ado:

(stuff)
THANK YOU. Very well put. Hopefully some of these assholes who feel special by replacing the "S" with a dollar sign will read this, learn from it and exercize some APPLIED KNOWLEDGE.

Quote:
Now, it is true that Lindows does cost money, which is fundamentally against a part of Linux - which I suppose may be your point.
Yeah, that is the point I'm trying to make. Even though Lindows does do the things I'd like it to, I AM NOT PAYING MY HARD-EARNED MONEY for a distro just to get WINE, WineX and a tweaked out version of KDE preinstalled. I can do that shit manually on my own with Debian, thank you very much.

And even though I haven't used Lindows, I have seen some screenshots and reports on how it operates and stuff on various Web forums and Linux news sites, and they say that there are many times you'll find yourself having to type away in a command prompt to get stuff done.

kermittfroggy: Since you have Lindows, I'm just curious, does it have BASH as its default command prompt?

Quote:
Though I do think some acronyms are useful... But only in private chat...
I agree with that, too. In private chat, in chat rooms and on IRC are the only times I abbreviate conversation phrases, and even then I only use them if they're to abbreviate a long(ish) phrase like "if I recall correcty" (IIRC) or "talk to you later" (TTYL), and EVEN THEN do I only use them if I'm in a hurry to send what I'm typing, such as if I'm in a busy channel or if I'm hurrying to finish my conversation and get out the door to work.

Acronyms can be useful, but don't overuse them, only use them when necessary, and most importantly, don't RELY on them. Remember, there's a time and a place for everything, including acronyms. I hope that made sense...

Last but not least, I only see a problem with abbreviating conversation phrases, such as with TTYL and IIRC. Otherwise I'm alright with acronyms if they're used to, say, abbreviate a technical term, like MSCE or PCMCIA, which as we all know, respectively stand for "Minesweeper Consultant and Solitaire Expert" and "People can't memorize computer industry acronyms."
Old 22nd October 2002, 03:40   #305
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
THANK YOU. Very well put. Hopefully some of these assholes who feel special by replacing the "S" with a dollar sign will read this, learn from it and exercise some APPLIED KNOWLEDGE.
I hope so.
Quote:
Yeah, that is the point I'm trying to make. Even though Lindows does do the things I'd like it to, I AM NOT PAYING MY HARD-EARNED MONEY for a distro just to get WINE, WineX and a tweaked out version of KDE preinstalled. I can do that shit manually on my own with Debian, thank you very much.

And even though I haven't used Lindows, I have seen some screenshots and reports on how it operates and stuff on various Web forums and Linux news sites, and they say that there are many times you'll find yourself having to type away in a command prompt to get stuff done.

kermittfroggy: Since you have Lindows, I'm just curious, does it have BASH as its default command prompt?
Well, ok then. I haven't used Lindows, and actually don't know much about it. But don't you have to pay for WineX anyway?

Quote:
I agree with that, too. In private chat, in chat rooms and on IRC are the only times I abbreviate conversation phrases, and even then I only use them if they're to abbreviate a long(ish) phrase like "if I recall correctly" (IIRC) or "talk to you later" (TTYL), and EVEN THEN do I only use them if I'm in a hurry to send what I'm typing, such as if I'm in a busy channel or if I'm hurrying to finish my conversation and get out the door to work.
Wow, we seem to actually be agreeing now... Anyway, I agree completely with this.

Quote:
Acronyms can be useful, but don't overuse them, only use them when necessary, and most importantly, don't RELY on them. Remember, there's a time and a place for everything, including acronyms. I hope that made sense...
Yes, it did, and yes, you're right.

Quote:
Last but not least, I only see a problem with abbreviating conversation phrases, such as with TTYL and IIRC. Otherwise I'm alright with acronyms if they're used to, say, abbreviate a technical term, like MSCE or PCMCIA, which as we all know, respectively stand for "Minesweeper Consultant and Solitaire Expert" and "People can't memorize computer industry acronyms."
"Minesweeper Consultant and Solitaire Expert" <-- Brilliant! Haven't heard that one before

Another thing I hate: sheep (err, people?) out of MCSE farms who couldn't program a VCR, or administer a calculator. Not that someone with an MCSE couldn't be a good system admin, just that these MCSE farms don't seem to teach anything.

And one more time, yes, totally. I agree. I don't want to have to say "I would like some four-hundred megahertz double data rate error correcting code synchronous dynamic random access memory, please", instead of "400 MHz DDR ECC SDRAM".

Old 22nd October 2002, 05:31   #306
BDA7DD

Quote:
Another thing I hate: sheep (err, people?) out of MCSE farms who couldn't program a VCR, or administer a calculator. Not that someone with an MCSE couldn't be a good system admin, just that these MCSE farms don't seem to teach anything.
"Must Consult Someone Experienced"

There's another one for 'ya.
Old 22nd October 2002, 13:22   #307
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by winsocker
HARD FOR A SCRIPT KIDDIE
hey, check it out! the version of linux i'm using supports lower case letters!

dude, if you wanna code,that is, not be a script kiddie, you need to use these little letters. turn off capslock. calm down.

once again, the OS thing is a matter of preference. and linux will never be popular until it's more user-friendly, and better publicised. no matter what you can do with it.

Old 22nd October 2002, 13:26   #308
virulent

Ok.. this has gone on for a long time, so lets sum up shall we? *ahem* I regularly idle in a linux help channel on Dalnet. I'll share with you a recent conversation.

pls you could help me?

Sure, whats the problem?

when booting says damage to /boot and wont start.

Ok, what was the error message?

was unmounted uncleanly.

Ah, so.. what happened, power went out? Had to reset?

no.

Well why did it shut down uncleanly?

dont know. turned it off like normal.

Wait. Did you just hit the Power Button to turn it off?

yes

*stab*

This was not made up, nor is it as uncommon as you might think. And this is why we NEED Windows. By saying that Im not implying that YOU are stupid because you use it, but I AM saying that there ARE stupid people using computers and there HAS to be something to accomodate them. People like the person above, or my mother.. hell, even my grandmother is online, need something like Windows because they honestly DON'T care how hardware works as long as they can read their email.

The "normal" computer user probably doesn't care about hardware either, but they are aware enough and online enough to read about security and things like that. It concerns them, but they don't really know how to all that much. That is where Windows gets restricting. And that is why something else, a middle of the road os like OSX, should be availible. Then you have people like myself that were born with a keyboard in their hands and loves dealing with computers as a whole. I use linux because of that.

The point is that Windows will not go away simply because there are to many stupid people on this planet. Most people do not want to learn, gain knowledge, and fix their own problems. They want it to work. If it doesn't work, "My computer is dumb," or they blame the OS/Computer manufacturer. Yeah, MS has a lot of problems - we know that - but I have to say that my experience tells me about 90% of ALL problems, with ANY OS, is due to the user. My mom is thrilled with her XP system. She almost never reboots it and it works for her. Great! On the other hand, I never will see my mother open her case and fiddle with something.

UNIX/Linux/BSD/Solaris/Irix and all dirivitives of those ARE the best OS's you're going to get for your PC. OS is not measured by gaming potential, its measured by how well it runs your hardware. Im going to go with OSX as 2nd and probably more suited for the average person. Windows should be a last resort, quite honestly.

As a side note: The police force for all of England and Wales is currently in the process of switching over to Linux.
Old 22nd October 2002, 14:16   #309
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
... This was not made up, nor is it as uncommon as you might think. And this is why we NEED Windows. By saying that Im not implying that YOU are stupid because you use it, but I AM saying that there ARE stupid people using computers and there HAS to be something to accomodate them. ...
The point is that Windows will not go away simply because there are to many stupid people on this planet.
Absolutely. I think you hit the nail on head.

*sigh* ... now if only Linux was a *lot* more ... "user friendly" (this is like user protection - not protection of the user, it's protection FROM the user), then maybe it would.

Oh well, fanciful dreams for now (I certainly don't have the time )

Old 22nd October 2002, 16:06   #310
zootm
Forum King

i'd do it, but i would have to relearn C (i'm doing java right now), and i'd just get flamed, because nobody who liked linux would use it, and no-one who it was meant for would hear about it.

Old 22nd October 2002, 16:10   #311
rm'
Banned

For those of you who haven't been following along, here's the conversation so far:

Speaker #1: Woof, woof, woof!
Speaker #2: Bow, wow, wow!
Speaker #1: Woof, WOOF, WOOF!
Speaker #2: Bow, WOW, WOW!
Speaker #1: WOOF, WOOF, WOOF!
Speaker #2: BOW, WOW, WOW!
Speaker #1: Arf! grrr..... arf, arf!
Speaker #2: GRRRRRR.....owf, owf, owwooooof!
rm' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2002, 16:26   #312
zootm
Forum King

correction - line 5 should read "Speaker #1: Woof, woof, woof?"

Old 22nd October 2002, 18:25   #313
virulent

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
i'd just get flamed, because nobody who liked linux would use it, and no-one who it was meant for would hear about it.
This is a very good point about the Linux community as a whole. Linux people do NOt want "easy". They seem to associate that word with Windows. If you're using a GUI you aren't good enough to use Linux. Look at the beating Lindows is taking. Granted the name is crappy, but its aim is to help Windows users move to a Linux enviroment. Good! I can't say I'd use it, and I'd probably hate it.. but I already know what Im doing. Red Hat and Mandrake. Linux users hate them for the most part. "Use BSD! Use Slackware! They are the best!" Yes, but only if you know how to use vi.

There seems to be a mounting unhappiness within the Linux community about things like KDE and Gnome. I can't figure out why. The whole idea of Linux is choice. If I like a fancy GUI, I can have it. If I want a black screen with grey text, I can have that too. I don't understand the opposition to bettering GUI tools and letting people set things up by clicking something. Personally, Im glad to see the Red Hats and Mandrakes making Linux easier to use. And Im also just as happy that Slackware is still thriving and making money so it can continue being developed.

As I've said a million times, the Linux kernel is just about done. Its rock solid and stable. All thats going on now is keeping up with new hardware and redo'ing a few structural things. For all intents and purposes, Linux is done. Now, the focus needs to be on user experience. On desktop, on GUI, on configuration tools. Its a very powerful system and I doubt it'll ever be as point and click as Windows, but its getting there. Slowly and painfully, but its getting there.
Old 22nd October 2002, 19:55   #314
BDA7DD

Quote:
Yes, but only if you know how to use vi.
What?! No mention of pico? You are making me VERY angry, sir!
Old 23rd October 2002, 12:30   #315
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

ed is the choice of teh uber, but I use vi because it's very quick to type 'vi' and is pretty good.

.: fwgx.co.uk.:.My art:.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2002, 17:43   #316
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
i'd do it, but i would have to relearn C (i'm doing java right now), and i'd just get flamed, because nobody who liked linux would use it, and no-one who it was meant for would hear about it.
Hah! Yeah, I see your point.

Old 23rd October 2002, 17:45   #317
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
correction - line 5 should read "Speaker #1: Woof, woof, woof?"
To which was replied, "Bow wow GRRR...."

Old 24th October 2002, 00:21   #318
devils night

Quote:

LOL saying stuff like that will never make you cool or elete it'll just make you sound like a big geek. and i can't beleve how long this topic is going on reading all this crap that takes an hour to read each post i guess i can officially say all you nerds really do have no lives and for the guy saying the microshaft stuff and m$ your the biggest freak of them all well thats all i got to say kids what are ya going to do now go play some quake to get your anger out on me but instead get your butts whipped by some other loser LOL

Proud Winamp user since 1997
(Winamp 1.006)
devils night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2002, 00:45   #319
rm'
Banned

Oh my God, no! Somebody not using Linux! Quick, get him!
rm' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2002, 01:45   #320
virulent

Quote:
Originally posted by devils night

LOL saying stuff like that will never make you cool or elete it'll just make you sound like a big geek. and i can't beleve how long this topic is going on reading all this crap that takes an hour to read each post i guess i can officially say all you nerds really do have no lives and for the guy saying the microshaft stuff and m$ your the biggest freak of them all well thats all i got to say kids what are ya going to do now go play some quake to get your anger out on me but instead get your butts whipped by some other loser LOL
Damn that was one fuck of a run on sentance. Do you know what a period is?
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News