Forum King

lol
SNYder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2002, 03:47   #322
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by devils night

LOL saying stuff like that will never make you cool or elete it'll just make you sound like a big geek. and i can't beleve how long this topic is going on reading all this crap that takes an hour to read each post i guess i can officially say all you nerds really do have no lives and for the guy saying the microshaft stuff and m$ your the biggest freak of them all well thats all i got to say kids what are ya going to do now go play some quake to get your anger out on me but instead get your butts whipped by some other loser LOL
These are the people that the <SARCASM> tag was invented for.

(in the render code for the forum)

if lSarcasmHere
if user.IQ < user.age
Insert("<SARCASM STARTS=HERE USER=DUMBASS>")
endif
endif

Of course, even this wouldn't be needed (to quote BDA7DD)

"just to try (while failing miserably) to sound all cool and elite"

Uh, and how does this get interpreted to mean that BDA7DD says that this would make somone sound "cool and elite".

What strikes me as funny is the total lack of the shift key, besides to use "LOL" - not only was there only one period (and other things), what he's saying is pretty stupid too.

1) Well, according to devils night,
"all this crap that takes an hour to read each post"
it takes a full hour to read each post. So, he's spent roughly 15.08 entire days (24 hour days) reading this thread.

2) Ugh, why bother?

Some advice I would give to "devils night":

1) Learn to use a period
2) Learn to READ
3) Learn to use the shift key (at this point, I'm convinced you use CAPS LOCK for your "LOL"s)
4) Learn to READ
5) Learn to use grammar.
6) Don't use those stupid abbreviations
7) Learn how to use a spell checker (or how to spell)
8) Learn how to WRITE
9) Buy a new keyboard
10) Buy UT 2003 -- who plays quake?
11) Seriously, get some tutoring or something
12) And if we are the "nerds with no life", then what are you doing spending over 350 hours reading this thread, as opposed to saying something meaningful on it?
13) Once you've learned how to read, actually READ.
14) .... Come back once you're done with all that, and perhaps then the immediate reaction to your post won't be what amounts to a flame.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2002, 12:17   #323
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by virulent
There seems to be a mounting unhappiness within the Linux community about things like KDE and Gnome. I can't figure out why. The whole idea of Linux is choice. If I like a fancy GUI, I can have it. If I want a black screen with grey text, I can have that too. I don't understand the opposition to bettering GUI tools and letting people set things up by clicking something. Personally, Im glad to see the Red Hats and Mandrakes making Linux easier to use. And Im also just as happy that Slackware is still thriving and making money so it can continue being developed.
i agree completely.

and i use emacs, because i'm not 1337 at all...

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2002, 05:24   #324
kermittfroggy

Lindows review from a lindows user.

Lindows is ok, I'm using ver 2.0 to type this right now. Its got its quirks, like its stupid "click and run". I first signed up for the insiders program last year. Ver 1.0 was a mess lots of bugs, and problems. This version is actually stable, and it has pretty good support for most hardware types. I really don't care for it cause I'm a freebsd fan at heart, but as far as the $100 goes its ok. I think its going to go for $125 in stores, but the problem with this distro is the "click and run". It requires you to pay for a $99 year subscription. With out click and run, you get no apps, zero, zip, nadda. No apps, no games, nothing. Its really ment for broadband users, since any app, game, package you want you have to download from the net. Also the shell, doesn't include bash, but you can install it. So would I recommend lindows? yes, but only to a non-linux user, that wants to get away from Bill's software. Its basically a really stripped down version of Debian, with kde 3 auto installed, and everything already configured. If you want an easy to install distro with everything already configured and chosen for you this would be a good distro. Another one similar to this one is Xandrios, but I'm not sure about the inner workings of that one. Xandrios is just like lindows, cept no "click and run" and it runs kde 2.2 not 3. Still at the $99 price mark though. Oh, and by the way it doesn't run even 5% of Bill's apps. It only runs Office (up to XP), and a handfull of other apps. I got a few Macromedia products to work, and some simple games, but nothing big. Of course it is just debian running a customized version of wine, so go figure.
kermittfroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2002, 14:31   #325
mkone

Look here

What you need to know is that Linux is very good and fortunately a lot of the programs you need are available free and you know exacty where to get them as long as you stick with the common distros, (Suse, Mandrake, Redhat).
Apps are not hard to find. Sourceforge, CNET.
Installation is always explained well if you are not using prepackaged software. I cannot write a single line of code, but have already installed applications from source.
Mandrake's driver base is actually better than WINXP's. Winxp does not recognize my soundcard at all, something that Linux does without me asking.
Linux gives you true choice. I can bet my desktop looks much better than any XP box here, unless you got a skinning program. Linux lets you change that from withing KDE and the interface can look like anything.
KDE actually uses png for its icons, so my kde icons have this incredible look to them.
So Linux software is not yet mature like that for windows. It still does mostly the basic things. But developers follow people and not the other way around usually. It a sad fact of life.
Admittedly, there are things I would like to Linux develop. I hate having to find dependencies for apps. But I now keep most of the ones I download. But I can see how it might affect 1st time users.
Also, some developers do not seem to care how their apps look. I think most of us would rather have good looking apps in Linux. So it loses a bit on that front as well. But it has the potential to look much better than windows. Need I say that Apple's OSX is Unix, like linux and that has proven that good does not have to compromise on looks.
But that is not to say that Linux looks ugly. On the contrary, it is very beautiful.
mkone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2002, 15:13   #326
zootm
Forum King

yeah, with enlightenment linux can be made to look better than any PC desktop i've seen. it's software support that's my problem. i have slackware though, and i intend to install it if i get enough money for a new hard drive to put it on.

Old 27th October 2002, 16:04   #327
virulent

Send a message via AIM to virulent
.png's are great. You gotta love alpha transparency. Icons can be made to look simply beautiful. You should check out the (semi) new .svg's. Scalable Vector Graphics I belive it means. Basically, an image can be resized and never loose quality. From small to insanely large (for super high resolutions) they look as crisp and as beautiful as it always did. I've currently got the whole Ximian "Gorilla" look going on my desktop which uses the scalable icons.

If you're into graphics or just love having a pretty desktop, X is the way to go. If you like using buggy hacked theming programs to cover up an OS's bad looks, then use Windows.
virulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2002, 16:08   #328
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
yeah, with enlightenment linux can be made to look better than any PC desktop i've seen.
Daggh! A PC refers to an "IBM-PC" (or a clone), which is basically an x86-based PC, capable of running the standard x86-based compliations of programs/OSes. A PC is NOT a computer which is running windows. Just because *most* PCs run Windows does NOT mean that a PC is a "Windows running computer". "PC" should be used to differenciate a Mac, or another type of architecture, not "Windows vs. *".

<calms down>

I don't mean to piss off/upset/whatever anyone, but most of the time, if I don't say something like the above, very few will listen...

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
Old 27th October 2002, 19:32   #329
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

everyone should run DOS and all programs should be built in delphi

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2002, 19:34   #330
virulent

I want an old school Indy. Or maybe an O2. Nah, an Indy would do me fine.

Irix, baby.
Old 27th October 2002, 19:57   #331
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by xzxzzx
Daggh! A PC refers to an "IBM-PC" (or a clone), which is basically an x86-based PC, capable of running the standard x86-based compliations of programs/OSes. A PC is NOT a computer which is running windows. Just because *most* PCs run Windows does NOT mean that a PC is a "Windows running computer". "PC" should be used to differenciate a Mac, or another type of architecture, not "Windows vs. *".
ffs i had 2 bottles of wine and a bottle of tequila last night, give me a break! i can't be expected to be right all of the time! stop getting so worked up over a silly error!

Old 28th October 2002, 16:42   #332
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:

ffs i had 2 bottles of wine and a bottle of tequila last night, give me a break! i can't be expected to be right all of the time! stop getting so worked up over a silly error!

Heh. That's fine - I'm just saying this so that this infection is at least slowed ("Hacker" is already beyond hope...).

By the way, what does ffs mean?

Old 28th October 2002, 17:00   #333
virulent

Ok. Since we're all about bashing Microsoft.. *chuckle* I thought I'd just share this mornings (mostly) legal activities.

*ahem*

Using nmap, I just scanned my entire IP block. Port 139 open all over the place. THREE people had it filtered. The rest? Wide open. So then I employ the a handy little bash script and check out all these open port 139's. To my amazement, people are broadcasting information all over the place. I got computer names, networking names, the shares they have open.. Were I an evil person, I could mount those shares and "play". However, I just shook my head in amazement. When I told a friend of mine about it he said, "Yeah, I used to do that weekly and leave text files on their desktops saying 'You've been hacked - Take these steps to secure your machine.'" I found that amusing, personally.

Anyways, the point here is that just because there are updates, just because MS releases patches.. doesn't mean everyone has them or understands them, or even knows what the hell they're doing. If I can scan my IP block (256 ips) and get a good majority of those IP's returning share information.. I can say the same would hold true for most everywhere else. In which case, regardless of how well MS has tried to plug the holes.. for a LOT of people, those holes still exist.

For anyone that knows anything about anything, this should frighten you. This should start to get you into the mindset that most "anti-MS" people are in. Patches don't mean jack when faulty, buggy, insecure software is still in cirulation. What if you happened to have just installed Win98se and hadn't hit the MS Update site just yet, and I was an evil hacker and just nmap'd you like I discribed above? I could do some major damage.

You all can talk about people saying M$ or Microshaft all you like, the point still remains - as the above should prove - MS software is horrible. Hell, even running Samba in Linux opens you up to MS insecurities because of the Windows protocal. Its garbage. End of story.
Old 28th October 2002, 21:42   #334
zootm
Forum King

the security is rubbish, that's not in doubt. there's a guy doing that very same nmap trick on our uni network. it's kinda boring though. they'd have to have shares set up all kinds of silly for people to mess with the desktop, unless they're on win9x...

and ffs = for goodness sake

Old 29th October 2002, 17:15   #335
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:

For anyone that knows anything about anything, this should frighten you. This should start to get you into the mindset that most "anti-MS" people are in. Patches don't mean jack when faulty, buggy, insecure software is still in cirulation. What if you happened to have just installed Win98se and hadn't hit the MS Update site just yet, and I was an evil hacker and just nmap'd you like I discribed above? I could do some major damage.

You all can talk about people saying M$ or Microshaft all you like, the point still remains - as the above should prove - MS software is horrible. Hell, even running Samba in Linux opens you up to MS insecurities because of the Windows protocal. Its garbage. End of story.
Well, if I had *just installed* Win 98se, then I would promptly shoot myself... err, I mean, I wouldn't really care about security anyway, would I? I mean, 98 security is a joke, and if the person uses outlook express for E-mail? Hah! Regaurdless, I don't think anyone on this board is *defending* Microsoft, but if you're wanting to be taken seriously, using "M$" and "Winblow$" isn't going to help your case. And regaurding Samba, how does it open you to insecurites, beside weak password hashing?

Old 29th October 2002, 17:55   #336
virulent

Quote:
unless they're on win9x...
I nailed (er.. uhm, I mean "scanned") a Win2k machine. Told me exactly what OS it was and what service pack was installed. No different from 9x. Just as easy to get share names and get in. You'd be supprised how many people allow guest or administrator logins.. or even no password at all.

As for Win9x - I know a lot of people that are still using it. People who didn't like the ME, 2k, XP releases one right after the other. People that get annoyed when they're supposed to upgrade over and over. Or even the people that have upgraded and have taken no steps at all of securing thier machine.

I was helping a guy out today.. just installed Mandrake and wanted to mount his shares from other computers. Well, he went to edit /etc/fstab and got all pissed because he had to be root "AGAIN!" to do something. I told him, "Look, with Windows, anyone can do anything they want. Say I don't like you. How hard is it for me to sit down at your computer, get a dos prompt and deltree c:\windows? Linux just doesn't allow that kind of nonsense." He seemed to understand a bit better.
Old 29th October 2002, 18:01   #337
zootm
Forum King

winME = win9x

yeah, well, admin logins are ok if you have a secure password, and there's not to much you can play with in the windows shares in win2k anyway, unless someone shares their whole hard drive... guest passwords with no pass are a bit more dodgy, which is why i've resorted to FTP for file sharing.

Old 29th October 2002, 20:30   #338
rm'
Banned

There's nothing I hate more then having to enter a password to make the smallest, most insignificant tweak to the system. Sure, Windows may leave your computer open to the rest of the world, but Linux locks you out of your own computer. Seeing as I have nothing the world would be interested in on my computer, I'll go with the former.
rm' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2002, 21:03   #339
virulent

Quote:
Originally posted by rm'
There's nothing I hate more then having to enter a password to make the smallest, most insignificant tweak to the system.
I guess thats what sudo is for, eh? And I guess this dislike for passwords is why most peoples machines are able to be hacked in about 3 seconds, or as long as it takes for the port scanner to return the share names. *shrug* Just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 31st October 2002, 06:24   #340
LodeRunner

If someone could do a good MS Windows replacement and make it so I don't lose anything (Ok, desktop preferences area all right to loose but icons shortcuts, the like, must stay), I'd take it. I currently use Windows XP Pro on my 3 workstations and Windows 2K Server as a server rig. It works great for what I use it for (server is just for domain log-ins, simple web site, an auto-forwarding gateway page, and a Q3 server for map testing).

But here's the real catch: All that software that I've bought and paid for over the years; it must work. If I have to replace something and it costs me, than the Windows-alternative becomse unnacceptable. And that is the corporate mindset. If it costs more money than sticking with what we have (and maintaining what we have) than it is unnacceptable. IT managers can complain all they want, but when the CEO/CFO and accounting say work with what you got, you know the fix is in.

I like Linux, used it before, albeit experimentally. I just don't have the hardware or time to spare on it (I have OpenCaldera 2.2, RH 5.3 and Mandrake 8. Also Lindows Beta 0.9) It's good stuff, solid like a rock. And once you learn it, it's wonderful. Best security too (provided you set it up).

Anyways, g'night y'all. Oh and please don't hate me for being a MS user. It's really not by choice (anymore).
LodeRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2002, 16:33   #341
mistertea

Send a message via ICQ to mistertea Send a message via AIM to mistertea
I triple-boot Windows XP Home Edition, Red Hat 8, and Mandrake 9 (I'm trying it out). I've never been more OS-happy since I found out about the wonderful world of Linux.
mistertea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2002, 10:08   #342
The Carpy

I will just mention one example of the default setting that makes Windows Network Security sound a bad joke. Obviously you can tweak it out, but hardly anybody does ....

In a Micro$oft Domain with a domain user logged on just klick start - run type

\\Computer\c$

Where Computer is the name of the computer you want to access ... now you have unlimited access to the C drive, in my previous company they had that on their exchange server .... why not just have a btchfile formatting drive F in the startup group. . . . . Nobody please talk to me about Security and Microsoft ... they must be doing it on purpose ... bunch of silly idiots!

Now can anyone here explain the use of sharing files and assigning rights to these shares .... LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Well, by the way, the guyz mentionning Windows XP as beeing good ?????????????????????????????????????????????
the best Microsoft OS ever was poor Windows 2000 pro ... all the rest sucks ... really. XP is just so cute with its colors but honestly, brings only disadvantages over Windows 2000.

There are currently 3 virusses for Linux and 62396 for Windows .... there are about 4000 for MAC, only 400 if you don't use micro$oft Office ....

MS Sucks 2002
The Carpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2002, 12:48   #343
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

swtch to Linux might be expensive in the long run but over time the cost benifits are repayed many times over. Killby & Gayford, a construction company recently switched it's servers and server apps to Linux at a cost of £500,000. A lot of monet you night say until you realise that this year alone they're saving £200,000 on NT server licences alone and £100,000 a year generally. It doesn't take a maths professor to see that Linux is far cheaper even if you do have to buy/ bring in some new s/w.

.: fwgx.co.uk.:.My art:.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2002, 13:57   #344
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by The Carpy
I will just mention one example of the default setting that makes Windows Network Security sound a bad joke. Obviously you can tweak it out, but hardly anybody does ....

In a Micro$oft Domain with a domain user logged on just klick start - run type

\\Computer\c$

Where Computer is the name of the computer you want to access ... now you have unlimited access to the C drive, in my previous company they had that on their exchange server .... why not just have a btchfile formatting drive F in the startup group. . . . . Nobody please talk to me about Security and Microsoft ... they must be doing it on purpose ... bunch of silly idiots!

Now can anyone here explain the use of sharing files and assigning rights to these shares .... LOLOLOLOLOLOL

Well, by the way, the guyz mentionning Windows XP as beeing good ?????????????????????????????????????????????
the best Microsoft OS ever was poor Windows 2000 pro ... all the rest sucks ... really. XP is just so cute with its colors but honestly, brings only disadvantages over Windows 2000.

There are currently 3 virusses for Linux and 62396 for Windows .... there are about 4000 for MAC, only 400 if you don't use micro$oft Office ....

MS Sucks 2002

Uhhh... you can only do that if you have admin rights on that machine. It's like saying "Knowing the root password on linux allows me to connect to it by default - what crap!". And please, name a disadvantage of XP vs 2000 (besides slightly increased memory usage from themeing).

Also, please don't use "M$", etc. It's just stupid. I'm not saying microsoft isn't a bad company, or even that they arn't inherantly evil, but still. It's just @%#$^& stupid.

Old 22nd November 2002, 13:58   #345
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Phily Baby
swtch to Linux might be expensive in the long run but over time the cost benifits are repayed many times over.
Don't you mean *short* run?

Old 22nd November 2002, 22:58   #346
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

yes, oops

.: fwgx.co.uk.:.My art:.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2002, 21:41   #347
cptmorgan

to all the lamers...

linux is not hard to run if you RTFM. and why do you think all websites/servers use linux ??? maybe because its more stable. read up before you talk crap on the best OS available
cptmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 00:35   #348
zootm
Forum King

Re: to all the lamers...

Quote:
Originally posted by cptmorgan
linux is not hard to run if you RTFM. and why do you think all websites/servers use linux ??? maybe because its more stable. read up before you talk crap on the best OS available
wow, that's informative, you recompile kernels with that attitude?

linux is only more stable when set up right. windows is easy to use if you rtfm (as you so eloquently put it). yet there are people that just can't quite get it.

just because you're not a geek does not mean you can't be allowed to use a computer. some people don't want to read the manual. some people want to sit and chat on msn, and look at pretty pictures on the internet. and next time you cite website servers, remember - 90% of the people visiting those websites are using windows.

oh, and read the previous 8 pages, by the way. you might notice there's points on both sides of the argument. but don't worry - i won't think less of you for being an opinionated geek. but do try to remember that the choice isn't as clear-cut for everyone as it is for you.

this is the kind of post that you get at 1:30am after 4 hours of maths - angry

Old 26th November 2002, 04:00   #349
JADias1

well posted zootm. my feelings exactly
JADias1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 04:52   #350
cptmorgan

Re: Re: to all the lamers...

Quote:

wow, that's informative, you recompile kernels with that attitude?

linux is only more stable when set up right. windows is easy to use if you rtfm (as you so eloquently put it). yet there are people that just can't quite get it.

just because you're not a geek does not mean you can't be allowed to use a computer. some people don't want to read the manual. some people want to sit and chat on msn, and look at pretty pictures on the internet. and next time you cite website servers, remember - 90% of the people visiting those websites are using windows.

oh, and read the previous 8 pages, by the way. you might notice there's points on both sides of the argument. but don't worry - i won't think less of you for being an opinionated geek. but do try to remember that the choice isn't as clear-cut for everyone as it is for you.

this is the kind of post that you get at 1:30am after 4 hours of maths - angry
i never said "you have to be a geek to use a computer" i am just saying that it takes time to run linux as i did to learn windows. if some people cant quite get it then they need to read the manual. with windows being more "user friendly" i can see how it is more apealing to most users. i might say thats why i use to use windows because of the ease but after reading and using a computer more and more i saw the positive side of linux.

if people dont want to read the manual then that is their choice but thats the only way your going to learn how to use something. thats probably why they pack a manual with everything you buy like a tv or new vcr. you can catch on to linux in less than a month and have a stable OS that is free. i use to run windows and i read the manual and had excellent uptime with my win2k box. but i was fed up with the constant reboots because of stupid little errors that would happen. i finally noticed that i was using the wrong OS if it crashes very so often because microsoft rushes out operating systems and tells you to upgrade upgrade upgrade and all they are causing is backward incompatibility. its pretty obvious why the concept of perpetually upgrading is a bad idea for consumers. upgrading encourages Microsoft to ship bug ridden products because they can always charge for the upgrade after the bugs are fixed.

and should i even start on security ????
Old 26th November 2002, 12:16   #351
virulent

Re: Re: Re: to all the lamers...

Quote:

and should i even start on security ????
If you read this thread you'll see that I obviously have no love for Microsoft.. however, I have to cut them at least a little slack. Security for the private home user has only become an issue over the last few years. I think its mostly the popularity of broadband that has people using firewalls and what not to "protect" themselves (software firewalls are next to useless). In any case, Windows from 3.0 to ME was never designed for security. Didn't really need it. No one gave a shit about security and MS simply didn't bother coding for it. A virus was a mystical and strange thing that people knew about, but almost never experienced when Windows 3 came out.

The difference is basically between the customer now and the customer then. MS hasn't really adapted or changed coding practices to satisfy the now security minded home user. This is where Linux comes in and appears to be so much better. Linux is a clone of UNIX, which was built from the ground up around the concept of security due to its multiuser nature. Of course its going to be more secure. Thats what it was made for. Win3.x can't handle multiple users and even 98SE stuggles to do it right. Now when we get into Win2k and XP, this is where I really start to dislike Microsoft.

Brand new products built on *good* kernels, the NTFS filesystem which actually beat linux (but not by much) to a journal structured way of storing data.. I mean, 2k and XP had a lot of potential. Unfortunatly, they're still as insecure as most Win9x installations. There is no excuse for that, imo.

Anyways, the point here is that every linux user goes for the throat on the security issue, but MS never designed windows for security. It started as simply a pretty shell for DOS. What the linux user should really go after is shotty programing skills and the corperate money grubbing style of business. I wonder when MS is finally going to suck the life out of computer users..
Old 26th November 2002, 12:25   #352
binary hero
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to binary hero
Re: Re: Re: Re: to all the lamers...

Quote:

The difference is basically between the customer now and the customer then. MS hasn't really adapted or changed coding practices to satisfy the now security minded home user.
i think you have been misinformed. microsoft can't really give out a hardware firewall of some sort with every version of windows now, can they? So, they now have a software one with xp. Granted, it probably isn't the best firewall ever, but then they aren't firewall makers. they write OS's and office software, not firewalls and encryption software.
binary hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2002, 12:47   #353
virulent

How exactly am I misinformed? Are you saying by throwing a crap firewall into the OS that they've "expanded and adapted" to the "security minded home user"? Pah! MS swollows applications that make money and puts them in their OS. They always have. There are free firewalls that do a better job. MS saw a market for them, thats all.

What I was actually refering to with all that I said, which apparently you missed, was that MS still continues to make the same mistakes over and over. Even in light of people being made more aware of security issues. Its not lack of features (a firewall being a feature), its the actual coding. Its the actual structure of the OS they've designed. I think 2k/XP had so much potential that ended up being completly wasted. This coming from a Linux person, even. I was excited to see Win2k.. I couldn't wait.

And then.. you know, the disapointment settles in, as it does with all MS products after time. You start thinking, "This is really annoying.." but you truge on anyways because its something new.. until you're so sick of it you delete the partition its on and format it with ext3.
Old 26th November 2002, 13:16   #354
zootm
Forum King

Re: Re: Re: to all the lamers...

Quote:
i never said "you have to be a geek to use a computer" i am just saying that it takes time to run linux as i did to learn windows. if some people cant quite get it then they need to read the manual. with windows being more "user friendly" i can see how it is more apealing to most users. i might say thats why i use to use windows because of the ease but after reading and using a computer more and more i saw the positive side of linux.
it takes more time to learn linux. particularly if you are not the the kind of person who prefers to do things by the command line. this means that about 90% of people who aren't geeks are alienated already (don't mention the control centre in mandrake). a lot of people don't want to do this. the ideal for most people would be an OS that was controlled like windows, and had a linux basis (although i have issues with its monolithic kernel) - unfortunately, most people who develop for linux see this as counterproductive, and those who don't would be widely shunned for creating such a system.

and i don't have an issue with win2k security. as with linux, once it's set up, it can be made pretty much bombproof (i know my win2k system's resilent to hackers, as i asked people i know who do these things to test it). i hail open source, and all its advantages, but the way things are now, linux needs a little more work before it works in the mainstream.

Old 27th November 2002, 00:03   #355
cptmorgan

Re: Re: Re: Re: to all the lamers...

Quote:

and i don't have an issue with win2k security. as with linux, once it's set up, it can be made pretty much bombproof (i know my win2k system's resilent to hackers, as i asked people i know who do these things to test it). i hail open source, and all its advantages, but the way things are now, linux needs a little more work before it works in the mainstream.
i could not agree more
Old 27th November 2002, 00:28   #356
zootm
Forum King

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: to all the lamers...

Quote:
i could not agree more
then stop labelling posts "to all the lamers" and i might stop hassling you

Old 27th November 2002, 03:08   #357
BDA7DD

Send a message via ICQ to BDA7DD Send a message via AIM to BDA7DD Send a message via Yahoo to BDA7DD
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: to all the lamers...

Quote:
You might want to change the subject line on your posts to stop it from automatically being filled in on his quoted replies.

Notice the "Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: to all the lamers..." subject line in this post that vBulletin ever so kindly filled in for me.
BDA7DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2002, 05:45   #358
cptmorgan

whoops

Quote:

didnt even notice i was doing that, lol
Old 27th November 2002, 21:54   #359
Escuchamezz

People here have praised Linux left, right and centre and I think it's great too. But how many of you actually use Linux as your only OS for desktop use? perhaps one or two, or more probably zero. Linux is not ready for prime time for everyday desktop use, and before bashing microsoft os's (which you are all probably using) you all must realise this.
Old 27th November 2002, 22:45   #360
virulent

Uh, neither I nor my girlfriend use Windows in any way shape or form. It took my gf about 6 months of using Linux to ditch Windows completly. There is nothing that I do with my computer that I can't with Linux. Including every game I play. I've spoken alot about the good that MS has done in both this and other threads, but as far as a straight up Windows vs Linux arguement, Linux wins. The only valid complaint I've heard is that the game support for Linux is lacking, which I agree with. That is up to developers however. Linux is growing steadily in popularity and this is forcing distributers of Linux to make them more "prime time" and its also causing gaming companies to take notice. ID for one has always made games that work on linux.. UT2003 is another major game that has a "linux version".

As for anything else, I've had excellent results with WineX. It can be tricky and take a little tinkering, but everything I play works like a charm. Hell, even the Doom III alpha, which is totally unoptimized and barely runs under Windows does just fine in Linux.

*shrug*
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News