Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News

Old 7th October 2002, 19:09   #121
Kazuko

Location: In this chair. and that bed over there...and in front of that fridge down there.
Send a message via AIM to Kazuko
I say: If you're not smart enough to use Linux when windows ends up taking your firstborn, you should get an Apple. They're not a bunch of rights-thieving bastards. Sure, their stuff costs more, but at least they aren't pulling clandestine "hide in the EULA, which nobody reads anyway" tactics.
Kazuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2002, 21:10   #122
BDA7DD

Send a message via ICQ to BDA7DD Send a message via AIM to BDA7DD Send a message via Yahoo to BDA7DD
Speaking of Apple, I vow that the day Apple releases an x86 build of Mac OS X is the day I use it as my primary OS, keeping Windows as my secondary OS in a dual-boot setup for gaming purposes ONLY.

The three best things to come from Apple are OS X, FireWire and the iPod. The former is something I'd hack off my right pinky finger for if I could get an official x86 build of it. Fortunately, the latter two have already made their way into the PC scene.

I don't see why Apple isn't making an x86 build of OS X. It's built on the BSD core, and there are already x86 builds of BSD (such as FreeBSD, OpenBSD and NetBSD,) so an x86 build of OS X would probably be very easily implementable for Apple. I'd wager a pretty penny that OS X on the PC would have a great chance of actually OUTSELLING Windows. There are many people who would buy it. There are the Mac users who also have PCs and hate using Windows. There are the Windows users who got to play with their friend's iBook and fell in love with OS X at first sight. There are the grandmas and grandpas who got their first computer at age 85 and are confused out of their friggin' minds with Windows, but had to settle for a PC (which came preloaded with Windows) because it was cheaper than a Mac. Last, and probably also least, there's me.

So yeah, the above in short basically says that I'd ditch Windows (for the most part, since I still want my gaming,) if Apple let me use OS X on my PC. And I mean every word of that, without a doubt.
BDA7DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2002, 21:20   #123
Kazuko

Location: In this chair. and that bed over there...and in front of that fridge down there.
How bout we get someone to make an online petition.. or something? Something to the tune of how we are being oppressed by the bastard who stole Steve's program and all... I bet they'd listen...
Old 7th October 2002, 21:40   #124
BDA7DD

Send a message via ICQ to BDA7DD Send a message via AIM to BDA7DD Send a message via Yahoo to BDA7DD
Quote:
Originally posted by Kazuko
How bout we get someone to make an online petition... I bet they'd listen...
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/petition/internet.htm
Old 7th October 2002, 22:11   #125
Kazuko

Good point. although I was not serious about it, I agree with you fully. Petitions never really work, hand-written or not, if they are organized by a bunch of teens. Once it has popular adult support, it can start to go somewhere. Simply asking Apple to miraculously roll out x86 versions of OS X (and actually having them DO it) is damn near impossible. Sure, the comment about teens and petitions was in no way directed towards ALL participants of this forum, but I sincerely agree with your point on petitions.
Old 7th October 2002, 22:44   #126
virulent

Send a message via AIM to virulent
Just for fun: I made over my Linux desktop to look like OSX, with a few touches of my own. Substitute a bsd kernel instead of a Linux one and you've got OSX!

www.violentfluid.com/desk-osx.jpg
virulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2002, 02:06   #127
BDA7DD

For those of you who want the best of both the Windows and Mac worlds, there's an AWESOME looking shell for WindowBlinds that looks JUST LIKE MAC OS X which I stumbled upon a few days ago. Check it out: http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/529913

YES, THAT'S ACTUALLY WINDOWS... believe it or not!
Old 8th October 2002, 09:05   #128
Kazuko

w00t looks like I got me a new viz style. (YES I HAVE WINDOWBLINDS YOU FLAMING MORON)
Old 8th October 2002, 10:12   #129
binary hero
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to binary hero
Re: Linux for dummies?

Quote:
Originally posted by jscriptstuff
I've never used linux before. Somebody please steer me in the right direction for dumping winblows forever. I would do it myself, but I'm a lazy SOB.
www.linux.org
www.linuxiso.org
binary hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2002, 12:23   #130
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

http://www.linuxnewbie.org/

.: fwgx.co.uk.:.My art:.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2002, 14:10   #131
virulent

The problem with the OS market right now is simply this. There is no middle of the road. Either you use Windows, and even long time Windows users know the problems and insecurities of it, or you use Linux. There is only Easy or Hardcore. There is nothing for the average user. Then you have these neat little Macs sitting over there all by themselves with a hold on this niche market. Who wants to go pay two grand to see if they like an OS? OSX needs to be ported to x86. If this was done, I see a LOT of people switching OS.

For people that just don't really think about their computers (My mom for example - she could give a flying foop about holes in her OS) there is Windows. It works, its moderately fast, its easy.

For someone that is a little more concerned and would like a bit more stability and requires a little more from their computer, I'd see them moving to OSX. The main draw of course is that its simply beautiful. But its also built on whats been known as the most stable *nix kernel. Of course, its not really a *nix, its basically NeXT running a bsd kernel. Thats not a bad thing at all.

And then of course you'll always have your hardcore people who enjoy all the "hassles" of a linux system. And for them, they have linux/bsd/etc.

I know for myself, if OSX was ported I'd no longer have a Windows partition. Linux and OSX running on the same machine (without paying $2k for Apple hardware) would be a beautiful thing.
Old 8th October 2002, 18:33   #132
Kazuko

Just wondering, what would I have to do to make my computer a Linux box? (with a GUI...not necessarily Lindows) Am I able to download all of it (LEGALLY)? Also, is there a media player for Linux?

Last edited by Kazuko; 8th October 2002 at 19:11.
Old 8th October 2002, 19:20   #133
idynkydnk

Quote:
Just wondering, what would I have to do to make my computer a Linux box? (with a GUI...not necessarily Lindows) Am I able to download all of it (LEGALLY)? Also, is there a media player for Linux?
go download a linux distro

yes it's legal, yes it's free, and yes there's a media player
idynkydnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2002, 01:18   #134
Kazuko

w00t. where?
Old 9th October 2002, 02:32   #135
fredowl87

Send a message via AIM to fredowl87
Quote:
to answer your questions...of course!!

quite a bit of the software for linux is open source, so its free!!
i have linux and windows and you ca n choose which to boot to...not that hard to setup.....and linux never crashes. ever.
fredowl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2002, 02:36   #136
fredowl87

Send a message via AIM to fredowl87
Quote:
Originally posted by Atmo

For the majority of users paladium wouldnt matter, they dont use any software that wasnt packaged with their pc when they first bought it, dont upgrade hardware, and most certainly dont use warzed or illegal copies of anything.
you are perfectly correct. this is especially true with buisnesses.

we have to stop this corporate menace.
fredowl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2002, 06:04   #137
Kazuko

Quote:
Originally posted by fredowl87

to answer your questions...of course!!

quite a bit of the software for linux is open source, so its free!!
i have linux and windows and you ca n choose which to boot to...not that hard to setup.....and linux never crashes. ever.
which brings me back to my original point.. where? I mean, i really do want linux on a part of my HDD, but I'm a bit of a n00b when it comes to linux.
Old 9th October 2002, 06:50   #138
BDA7DD

As has been stated before, go to www.linuxiso.org and get a distro. I recommend Red Hat, since it's easy for newbies to use, but is also a pretty powerful distro which even Linux veterans tend to enjoy.

Just download all of the Linux ISOs, then write the ISOs to CDs using Nero. Remember to write the ISOs as images, don't just burn the .ISO files to CDs in "data CD" mode.

Once that's done, put Disc 1 in your CD-ROM drive and reboot your computer. Your computer should automatically recognize the CD in your CD-ROM drive and begin the installation process. If not, you'll need to change the settings in your BIOS. Different computers have different keys to enter the BIOS, but normally it's the "Delete" key. Reboot your computer and press your BIOS entry key when everything's just starting up. If that doesn't work, try F10 if you're on a Compaq, F1 if you're on an IBM, and I think it's F2 for if you're on a Dell (I could be wrong on this last one, though.) In the BIOS, poke around the menus until you find something for the boot sequence. Make the CD-ROM drive the FIRST boot item, make the floppy drive the SECOND boot item, and make your primary hard drive (usually called "HDD-0" in the BIOS) the THIRD boot item. Then reboot and try again.

Oh, and don't listen to anyone who recommends Mandrake. Even though it's a good "gateway distro" for newbies, it's also very bulky, and once you get past the newbie stage, Mandrake will be useless to you.
Old 9th October 2002, 15:25   #139
virulent

Quote:
Originally posted by BDA7DD
Oh, and don't listen to anyone who recommends Mandrake. Even though it's a good "gateway distro" for newbies, it's also very bulky, and once you get past the newbie stage, Mandrake will be useless to you.
You finally said something I agree with.
Old 9th October 2002, 21:12   #140
Kazuko

btw, can I stream shoutcast in Linux? and is the Radeon 7200 (32 MB SDR) supported?
Old 10th October 2002, 06:45   #141
Kazuko

I burned it with WinRAR (it opened the ISO files and everything) and that didnt work. I burned it with nero and THAT didn't work (I have my BIOS set so that if there's a boot CD in the drive, it boots, the 1st device is CDROM) Any suggestions? btw, "n00b to Linux" does not necessarily mean "n00b to computers". I'm a CpE major at UCF.
Old 10th October 2002, 08:47   #142
BDA7DD

Quote:
I burned it with WinRAR (it opened the ISO files and everything) and that didnt work. I burned it with nero and THAT didn't work
Uh... what the hell? You burned it with WinRAR? That's impossible. WinRAR doesn't burn ISO files, it only reads and extracts ISO files. And with Nero, did you write the ISO directly to the CD as an image, or did you just stick the ISO file or its contents in a new "Data CD" compilation?
Old 10th October 2002, 19:59   #143
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

In Nero you have to goto File->Burn CD image or soething otherwise you just end up with an iso file on the CD and not it's contents proper.

If your a linux n00b i HIGHLY reccomend you buy a distro, make sure it comes with lots of manuals and also buy a book on linux. Otherwise you won't have a clue.

Old 10th October 2002, 20:02   #144
Kazuko

I burned it in the following order:

*Quit the dumbass wizard*
*File -> Burn Image -> RedHat-i386-psyche whatever...*

It whacked it upside the head or something. I burned it again like that and it worked. musta been some weird error.

I installed and when it got to the Desktop GUI, I had a big ass line of psychadelic colors for the top 1/3 of my screen. I changed my Video Card settings, I changed all off them, all different permutations... And then I noticed my mouse was a little X on my screen, not the pointer like in the install sequence, and it wouldn't "click" on ANYTHING. Any suggestions? I'm getting pissed at the penguin.
Old 11th October 2002, 11:54   #145
Greeneemer

Send a message via ICQ to Greeneemer
truly frightening, but i doubt that they will be allowed to ship it as described...
first it seemed like a bad joke to me, but when i searched the m$ homepage, i really found palladium. microsoft can go and die imho, freebsd to the people!!!
Greeneemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2002, 13:46   #146
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

Quote:
all different permutations
You see that's why you need a manual. You'd be a lot better off going to a n00b linux forum somewhere rather than a media player one to find answers to this type of thing. And also include some details about what your system is, what drivers are installed and all the rest. It's the only way you'll be able to get a solution.

Old 12th October 2002, 01:30   #147
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Phily Baby
If your a linux n00b i HIGHLY reccomend you buy a distro, make sure it comes with lots of manuals and also buy a book on linux. Otherwise you won't have a clue.
speaking from an ex-linux-n00b 1337-windows user (and pretty much still n00b linux user) i will agree with that

Mandrake i hear is good for n00bs (just cuz its for n00bs doesn't mean it sucks...ie.windows.) and Redhat has near universal support.

Get Linux for Dummies or something similar and something recomended by like amazon.com or something. and read the manuals which come with your shrink wrapped box throughly after reading your dummies book.

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2002, 07:02   #148
G3NeRiX

Location: USA - Home of the Slightly Retarted and Mentally Challenged
Send a message via AIM to G3NeRiX Send a message via Yahoo to G3NeRiX
Yikes, sounds scary! Another relevant privacy issue, but this one regards government actions:

http://www.stoppoliceware.org

G3NeRiX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2002, 12:01   #149
BDA7DD

Quote:
Originally posted by whiteflip
Mandrake i hear is good for n00bs (just cuz its for n00bs doesn't mean it sucks...ie.windows.)
Just a reminder that nine posts above this guy's, I had said...

"Oh, and don't listen to anyone who recommends Mandrake. Even though it's a good 'gateway distro' for newbies, it's also very bulky, and once you get past the newbie stage, Mandrake will be useless to you."

I still stick to that opinion. Go with Red Hat if you're new to Linux. It's just as easy to use (if not, easier,) is more secure, less bloated, has better support and a larger user base. Once you're sick of Red Hat, move onto Debian. Once you're feeling really daring and pretty much know Linux off the back of your hand, that's when it's time to go with LFS (Linux From Scratch,) which is basically a "build your own distro" package. No two LFS configurations are alike since YOU build them from the ground up, so use LFS to express your individuality, your computer conserveratism and the seemingly unlimited supply of time on your hands .

Last edited by BDA7DD; 13th October 2002 at 12:36.
Old 14th October 2002, 13:21   #150
jscriptstuff

Send a message via AIM to jscriptstuff
Damnit...

So I did make a mistake... The only reason I chose Mandrake is because it only required ONE installation CD, and I have limited bandwidth. Also, where are you on KDE vs. Gnome? I'm kind of undecided, seeing as how I have been using Linux for less than a week.
jscriptstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2002, 19:09   #151
BDA7DD

Re: Damnit...

Quote:
Originally posted by jscriptstuff
Also, where are you on KDE vs. Gnome?
Neither. I use the "enlightenment" window manager. However, when it comes down to either KDE or Gnome, I go with KDE, especially if it's KDE 3 (which is much better than KDE 2, in my opinion.)
Old 22nd October 2002, 18:21   #152
KTottE

Send a message via ICQ to KTottE

Hey guys, first post on these forums. I came here due to this thread actually.

I just wanna say that I'm very anti-palladium, and that I'm gonna go out of my way to stop it.
I'm from Sweden, and so I will write a letter to the swedish justice departement, and tell them about this. Also, I will write to the same instance in the EU, and tell them. Since this clearly violates the EU act of free competition (don't know if that's what it's called in english).
Either way, the EU said, very clearly, that everyone has to be able to compete on equal terms.

Installing special hardware and software which prevents use of competitors software should probably be violating that act pretty much, don't you say?

Are there any americans in this thread which are willing to write a similar letter to your justice departement and/or congress?
If not, I'll just translate my letter and send that to the US as well.

Let's all come together, and unite to stop Bill Gates. And we'll go save Terrance and Philip too, 'cause that's what Brian Boitano'd dooo

/KTottE
KTottE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2002, 19:48   #153
BDA7DD

*applause*

Quote:
Originally posted by KTottE
I just wanna say that I'm very anti-palladium, and that I'm gonna go out of my way to stop it.
I'm from Sweden, and so I will write a letter to the swedish justice departement, and tell them about this. Also, I will write to the same instance in the EU, and tell them. Since this clearly violates the EU act of free competition (don't know if that's what it's called in english).
Either way, the EU said, very clearly, that everyone has to be able to compete on equal terms.
That's a very good idea. I hope your voice is heard. Bravo on taking a stand against this and doing something about it instead of just sitting and whining about it like a lot of people are.

Quote:
Originally posted by KTottE
Are there any americans in this thread which are willing to write a similar letter to your justice departement and/or congress?
If not, I'll just translate my letter and send that to the US as well.
The United States government has pretty much changed its ways to benefit the corporations who want to oppress the people. There are many laws and legislature that clearly and blatantly violates the constitutional rights of the American citizens. Just look at the DMCA and the CBDPTA, these both violate the constitution in more ways than one.

You might be wondering now why these laws are being allowed to be passed. The general impression that a lot of people have about the U.S. constitution is that nobody fucks with the constitution and gets away with it. This used to be the case, and still is the case among citizens who value their rights, but not with government. The reason these unconstitutional laws are being passed is because the U.S. government allows anybody to participate in an activity called "lobbying." The people doing the lobbying consider it supporting Congress with monetary donations, but in reality, it's just bribing Congress to get stuff done. The RIAA and the MPAA bribe... uh, "lobby" congress with millions of dollars to get these oppressive and unconstitutional laws passed. In the past, lobbying has been used to get other unconstitutional things done, such as when the Knights of Columbus -- a Christian fundamentalist "special interest group" -- lobbied Congress to add the words "under God" to the Pledge of Allegiance, a clear violation of the seperation of Church and State laws.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping that this crap doesn't spread into Canada. I don't know what country I'd move to if Canada follows suit with this trend of kissing corporate ass, but I will move if it happens, and that's a promise. No fucking way am I gonna live in and support a country that shits on me and my fellow citizens to make a quick buck.
Old 22nd October 2002, 21:07   #154
Kazuko

I just wanna say Stop the Bushit. Kick him and his bro out of government. Starting a war to distract us from a fucked economy? Seriously folks, what the hell is up with the government? Canada regulates the medical companies there and a prescription that costs $85 here costs $3 there.
Old 24th October 2002, 23:05   #155
smeggle

I heard old Bill there was gonna be in the next Terminator movie but I thought I'd done to much Flyagaric at the time (well it is that time of year again Mushroom tea yum yum!) but now I wonder .
All we have to is remember what Mom Taught us when we were children,
JUST SAY NO ! or don't buy it and then he'll leave us alone ,I mean does he want all the MONEY!!!!!! him!!
Old 24th October 2002, 23:33   #156
Kazuko

Turns out those pompous asses ignored us students (Jeb and McBride) I'm a student here at UCF and they held a debate here on Tuesday. I don't know about you folks, but I hate any politician named "Bush." I'm surprised that bastard Jeb hasn't started a war with Cuba.
All they do is cause war. Given, this one in Afghanistan was unavoidable, but Iraq now? What the hell? Is Bush the elder getting kicks watching his son go after his old adversary? Seriously, If anyone votes for Bush simply because he was president on September 11th, I feel sorry that it hurts for them to think. Any president would have done what he did that day and the following weeks. The difference is that he is re-enacting the McCarthy era, scare tactics and all.
Old 25th October 2002, 22:03   #157
Mantis13

Send a message via AIM to Mantis13
Quote:
Originally posted by KelseyB
yet another reason why i am currently amasing all the good porn and programs i can get my hands on, along with all the misc. computer parts that i can lay my hands on, at which point as paillidum takes over the world, i will seclude myself and anyone who wants to to a little compound of free thought, free excange of ideas and LAN gaming...

wow so am i just on impulse "gotte get this and as much of that as possible" but im going to work my ass off (when im not at school) to turn people away from the ministry of truth

all except the porn part. we kids arent allowed to have that stuff
Mantis13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2002, 00:51   #158
BDA7DD

Quote:
Originally posted by Mantis13
all except the porn part. we kids arent allowed to have that stuff
Just because you're "not allowed" shouldn't let it stop you. Hell, I was downloading porn off the 'Net at age 12. If you're worried about getting caught, I've written a guide for people just like yourself: http://www3.sympatico.ca/you-oughta-...uides/porn.htm
Old 26th October 2002, 00:57   #159
I am Jesus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to I am Jesus
Quote:
Originally posted by BDA7DD

Just because you're "not allowed" shouldn't let it stop you. Hell, I was downloading porn off the 'Net at age 12. If you're worried about getting caught, I've written a guide for people just like yourself: http://www3.sympatico.ca/you-oughta-...uides/porn.htm
LOL, I could use some of those tricks.
I am Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2002, 21:13   #160
Kazuko

Just want to say I'm majoring in CpE (Computer Engineering) and since there is currently a MASSIVE tech boom in Australia (And they're only on the up-side, they haven't reached the top) I'm going to apply for work in Australia, probably with Telstra, if I can. At least, in Australia, I know that the socialist-democratic government is allowed to do things that are happening here.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News