Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News

Old 5th November 2002, 14:51   #201
virulent

Send a message via AIM to virulent
Quote:
Originally posted by xzxzzx

Actually, I enjoy reading arguments against my posts. They are, of course, always wrong
Hey, FUCK you buddy.
virulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2002, 15:40   #202
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by kinson
Didn't microsoft sue lindows or something a while back because of having a similar name and interface...or similar something?
yeah, that and the fact that they were marketing it as a windows replacement, due to it being able to execute win32 code (through wine, i think).

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2002, 16:55   #203
Avalon
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Avalon
Okay, it may just be me, but I'M GETTING SICK OF THIS CRAP! Everyone leave my computer alone, it's MY computer, I PAID for it, I USE it, okay. I PAID for you expensive softwre, I patched it up, so stop trying to find out what I do.

You don't come to my house to figure out what I do, so don't come to my computer to do the same freaking thing.
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2002, 17:38   #204
virulent

Amen brother.

Cop wants to search your car/house with no warrent or probable cause? You have the right to tell them to fuck off.. well, not in those words, but still. I've done it myself. Cop asked to search my car, I told him I'd rather if he didn't. BOOM. Off I go, on my way. If you're an asshole about it, he'll probably detain you, but you know.

Anyways, the point is, if you can't search my property without a warrent saying a judge accepted the reasons, how on earth is it legal to search my computer? And WHAT IF *gasp* my computer has MP3's on it? Tell me how you know I didn't PAY for each and every cd it came from? Or I didn't download it from mp3.com or other such sites where I can PAY and download single songs?

Seems to me that after 9/11 rights have been flying out the window left and right. Seems to me our nice little government forgot what the term Civil Liberty ment. Look it up. Tell me if you honestly feel as though you have it.
Old 5th November 2002, 21:53   #205
BDA7DD

Send a message via ICQ to BDA7DD Send a message via AIM to BDA7DD Send a message via Yahoo to BDA7DD
Quote:
�fowl�
�you stupid asshole�
�stupid poopie-head�
I assume these should be quotation marks instead of question marks, but for some reason they're showing up as question marks on my end. Did you make sure to convert those awful "smart quotes" which MS Word and other word processors like to generate into regular quotes? 99.9% of the time when quotation marks show up as question marks, it's because of "smart quotes."

Quote:
Originally posted by virulent
Seems to me that after 9/11 rights have been flying out the window left and right.
Agreed. There are far too many people willing to just throw away their rights -- mostly their right to privacy -- in the name of "national security." While most of you may have nothing to hide, I still don't think you want to be viewed as a suspected terrorist along with every other person in your country. What the fuck is this, guilty until proven innocent? Is this what you call "America?" Huh?

And it's good that you and others are coming out and saying things like this. I'm sick of seeing people who are afraid to take a stand and say their opinion which might go against the views of our oh-so-caring government which is supposedly here to protect us from whatever "evils" the mass media isn't shutting the fuck up about with their repetitive, instant replay-style journalism.

Quote:
Seems to me our nice little government forgot what the term Civil Liberty ment.
Hell, liberals in general have forgotten what civil liberties are. By definition, liberals are supposed to be protecting and fighting for civil liberties, but nowadays they're all about OPRESSING civil liberties with censorship and "protecting us from ourselves." You'll notice it's always the left-wingers who're supporting tougher drug laws, public surveillance programs, outlawing abortion and cloning, among other things of that nature. In short, for the liberals to continue calling themselves "liberals" is a fucking joke. Not one thing they support these days has anything to do with protecting civil liberties, but instead have everything to do with oppressing them.

Quote:
Didn't microsoft sue lindows or something a while back because of having a similar name and interface...or similar something?
They got sued because their name is similar. Apparantly, Microsoft thinks that they own the rights to everything ending in "indows." All because of this fucking DMCA, too. I've never seen such a shitty, vague, five-minute hack-job of legislature since the DMCA. No wonder many lawyers, law students and legal experts I've spoken to consider the DMCA to be the "laughing stock of America's legal system."

Last edited by BDA7DD; 5th November 2002 at 22:13.
BDA7DD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2002, 23:21   #206
DJ Dark Moon

Send a message via AIM to DJ Dark Moon Send a message via Yahoo to DJ Dark Moon
it's not that i didn't read your post "xzxzzx", my posts are most typically a consortium of thoughts based on whatever posts i happen to read before i ponder the material for myself, it was in no way intended "just for you", and i whole heartedly agree with your veiws on just what it is that makes a word or phrase offensive... and i should be one of the first to acknowledge the "you shouldn't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive"... it's half of my signature for god sake... not that i beleive in the conventional form of god but that's a topic for another day... so to you "xzxzzx", if i offended you in some way, sorry, i guess... but oh well, it's just a friggin forum thread anyway
DJ Dark Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2002, 04:12   #207
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:

Hey, FUCK you buddy.

Quote:
Amen brother.

Cop wants to search your car/house with no warrent or probable cause? You have the right to tell them to fuck off.. well, not in those words, but still. I've done it myself. Cop asked to search my car, I told him I'd rather if he didn't. BOOM. Off I go, on my way. If you're an asshole about it, he'll probably detain you, but you know.

Anyways, the point is, if you can't search my property without a warrent saying a judge accepted the reasons, how on earth is it legal to search my computer?
First, "fuck off" is totally acceptable, legally (I believe). If he detains you for that, sue the police department. I don't think you should get nasty with someone for no reason (I mean, cop's doing his job, which is a positive one).

It isn't legal to search your computer. At least, not *yet*. I swear, does congress even realize we have a constitution? Really? Or is it just to look good?

Quote:
Originally posted by BDA7DD
[B]I assume these should be quotation marks instead of question marks, but for some reason they're showing up as question marks on my end. Did you make sure to convert those awful "smart quotes" which MS Word and other word processors like to generate into regular quotes? 99.9% of the time when quotation marks show up as question marks, it's because of "smart quotes."
This is due to my tiredness and deciding to use Microsoft word (hey, what's the biggest oxy-moron ever? Microsoft works!), and after looking at my post full of non-standard ASCII characters, going "should fix that... fuck it, I'm tired".

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Dark Moon
<-- what's up with the lack of interpretation?

It was in no way intended "just for you", and i whole heartedly agree with your veiws on just what it is that makes a word or phrase offensive ... < snip > ... not that i beleive in the conventional form of god but that's a topic for another day... so to you "xzxzzx", if i offended you in some way, sorry, i guess... but oh well, it's just a friggin forum thread anyway
Ok, good to have a clarification. Let's just leave that be either way.

As for god... perhaps another thread, sometime .

Hey, I'm not that easily offended. Actually, I can't remember the last time I was really offended. And even if I was, it is just some electrons in specific patterns, isn't it?

P.S. You can call me xzxzzx, or Peter (if you prefer), but what's up with the '"xzxzzx"'?

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2002, 04:45   #208
BDA7DD

Send a message via ICQ to BDA7DD Send a message via AIM to BDA7DD Send a message via Yahoo to BDA7DD
Quote:
You can call me xzxzzx, or Peter (if you prefer)...
Wait a minute. You're not... THE Peter... are you? Just curious.
Old 8th November 2002, 12:43   #209
kinson

Send a message via ICQ to kinson Send a message via AIM to kinson
Quote:

They got sued because their name is similar. Apparantly, Microsoft thinks that they own the rights to everything ending in "indows." All because of this fucking DMCA, too. I've never seen such a shitty, vague, five-minute hack-job of legislature since the DMCA. No wonder many lawyers, law students and legal experts I've spoken to consider the DMCA to be the "laughing stock of America's legal system."
Lol, wonder what would happen if some idiot with no taste in names named his kid windows(or lindows, I don't care )...bill gates would probably claim him as his kid and call fer a DNA test..

kinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2002, 14:26   #210
BDA7DD

Quote:
Lol, wonder what would happen if some idiot with no taste in names named his kid windows(or lindows, I don't care )...bill gates would probably claim him as his kid and call fer a DNA test..

Once again, I must remind you people that Bill Gates and Microsoft are NOT synonymous! Microsoft's legal department seems like the kind of group that might do something frivolous like this, but Bill Gates himself? Come on. He's just the Chairman and Chief Software Architect, he probably couldn't care less about shit like this, and he probably doesn't have the legal expertise to go suing someone anyway. You need an expensive, knowledgeable lawyer to get away with frivolous lawsuits. Bill Gates is a businessman, not an attorney.

There are many departments and protocols which the decisions of any corporation (including Microsoft) go through, and there are many people in the Microsoft corporation who are authorized to implement and approve ideas even without Bill Gates' knowledge just so they can get the features created and implemented as fast as possible to cut down production time. Imagine how long it'd take if Bill Gates had to rubber stamp every single feature of every version of Windows... the icons, default mouse cursors, start menu logo... Duke Nukem Forever would probably be out before Windows hit store shelves if they did that!

Hell, who knows if Bill Gates gave the final OK on this hardware DRM stuff with Palladium, or was even the person who suggested it be included in Palladium? For all we know, he could've just received an e-mail from the software engineering department one day saying: "Hey Bill, just so you know, we've decided to use hardware DRM features in the next version of Windows. Check the attachment for the speech we've prepared for you to give about it at tomorrow's press conference. See ya!"

Even though Bill Gates is considered to be the all-around figurehead who represents Microsoft and everything it stands for, he's not the iron-fisted totalitarian dictator of the entire corporation which a lot of people make him sound to be. Remember that next time you wanna argue against Microsoft.
Old 8th November 2002, 17:06   #211
virulent

Damn BDA7DD.. we agree again! What is this world coming to?!

Anyway, hes right you know. Bill Gates is a man. A smart man that developed a software company that has taken the world of computers by storm. Hate him all you like, but the fact remains the same. Before Windows 3.0 I was using a dialup UNIX shell account. You know how happy I was to have SLIP when I got my first copy of Windows? Netscape 1.1n baby! But yes, I do think that the company called Microsoft has engaged in some rather nasty business. Do I fault Gates exclusivly? No I don't.

All that aside: Linus is cooler than Bill.
Old 8th November 2002, 21:42   #212
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:

Wait a minute. You're not... THE Peter... are you? Just curious.
Besides the fact that I have *NO* idea what you are talking about:

Yes. Yes I am.
The One.
The only:
PETER

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
Old 8th November 2002, 21:46   #213
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
What the @#$%@!?!? I agree too! What IS this world coming to??

Old 9th November 2002, 04:09   #214
BDA7DD

Quote:
Besides the fact that I have *NO* idea what you are talking about...
I'm asking if you and this guy are one in the same.

Quote:
The end is near...
Old 11th November 2002, 04:01   #215
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:

The end is near...
Hmm. Yes, I think so....

Anyway, no, "Peter" is not me. Though "Bastard Developer" fits me perfectly. I can tell, because my ICQ number is wayyy smaller (I have a 6 digit number ). Hmm.. I wonder if it's still valid.

Old 11th November 2002, 18:29   #216
BDA7DD

Quote:
my ICQ number is wayyy smaller (I have a 6 digit number )
Whoa... nice. Better make sure you have a REALLY good password locking down that ICQ number. Why, you ask? Well, believe it or not, six-digit ICQ numbers are often hijacked by crackers and sold at foreign Internet auction sites. Yes, people actually PAY MONEY (and quite often lots of it) to get STOLEN six-digit ICQ numbers.

Also, if you use Direct Connect or any other file sharing service that requires you to meet a quota (ie. a minimum amount of files shared) to connect, this is one more reason why you should NOT share your entire hard drive(s). You wouldn't believe how many CD keys, ICQ numbers and other private, valuable information I've stolen from idiots on Direct Connect and even non-quota-based file sharing networks KaZaA (Lite, of course) who are sharing the entire contents of their hard drives. I figure that since they have it coming and are pretty much asking for it, I may as well dig into the goods while I can.
Old 11th November 2002, 23:29   #217
DJ Dark Moon

**runs off to auction his ICQ# and password**

can't beat a deal like that
especially since i never use it anymore
Old 14th November 2002, 13:52   #218
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Well, believe it or not, six-digit ICQ numbers are often hijacked by crackers
Whoa. I never thought of that. How could I never think of that?!? I think of all types of password "jacking" (I routinely use a 20 character password!) Hmmm... Maximum length password, here we come! Thanks for the heads-up! (And the IM networks are inherantly vunerable to that kind of attack... How could I not think of that!)

(My "normal" password is something like this

"RDa41+fDa-RE"

Old 14th November 2002, 13:55   #219
xzxzzx
Forum King

Hehehehe.. I don't use ICQ anymore either. But I just have to keep this number: "9-9-3-4-8-2"

Now if I had just waited another few 6518 registrations, I could have gotten 999999! How cool would that be? (insert geek smiley here)

Here I am!

http://web.icq.com/whitepages/about_...tml?Uin=993482

P.S. I find this forums lack of quotes disturbing.

Now, someone had better recognize this quote:
I mean, if you don't, do you watch TV?

L: I went to the McDonalds over in Shelbyville the other day.
Chief Wiggum: The Mc-what?
L: Yeah, I never heard of it either but they say they have over 2000 locations in this state alone.
E: Hmm...Must've sprung up over night.
L: But you know, its the little differences.
CW: Example?
L: Well at a McDonalds you can get a Krusty Burger with cheese. But they don't call it a Krusty Burger with cheese.
CW: Get out! What do they call it?
L: A quarter pounder with cheese.
CW: Quarter pounder with cheese...well I can see the cheese but? Hey, do they have Krusty's Partially Gelatinated Gum-Based beverages?
L: Yeah, they call them 'shakes.'
E: *Pfft* 'Shakes.' You don't know what you're gettin'.
CW: Well, I know what I'm gettin. Some Doughnuts!
CW: Uh, help me out of the booth, boys.

Last edited by xzxzzx; 14th November 2002 at 14:12.
Old 14th November 2002, 14:23   #220
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
http://web.icq.com/whitepages/about_...tml?Uin=993482

P.S. I find this forums lack of quotes disturbing.

Now, someone had better recognize this quote:
I mean, if you don't, do you watch TV?
you speak urdu?! TWICE?! cool!

as for the quotes, you've obviously never met our resident quote boy rm'...

i don't watch tv, except for uk programmes you wouldn't get, and some US cartoons...

Old 14th November 2002, 15:23   #221
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm

you speak urdu?! TWICE?! cool!

as for the quotes, you've obviously never met our resident quote boy rm'...

i don't watch tv, except for uk programmes you wouldn't get, and some US cartoons...
Of course I do!
(pause)
(searches...)
(thinks: shit! nothing!)
Yeah, your version of windows wouldn't display it correctly, though.

As for the quotes, how about:

"I find the lack of quotes on this thread disturbing"

Now, for the american TV-challanged ( ), the quote is from the Simpsons! The best animated TV show ever. Go and get it!

Old 14th November 2002, 17:07   #222
zootm
Forum King

lol, yeah. i knew it was a simpsons quote.

and the other one is a paraphrase of "i find your lack of faith disturbing" from one of the star wars films.

let's try a quote for you:
"you know mother, life is like a box of chocolates. you never know what you're going to get! ... your life, however, is more like a box of ACTIVE GRENADES!"

Old 15th November 2002, 14:47   #223
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:

let's try a quote for you:
"you know mother, life is like a box of chocolates. you never know what you're going to get! ... your life, however, is more like a box of ACTIVE GRENADES!"
Well, that sounds like a quote from Forest Gump ('paraphrased') - BUT, it's not. It is from Family Guy, as said so eloquently by Stewie. It's from the first episode

"I challenge you to "clawplach"!"

Old 15th November 2002, 22:33   #224
DJ Dark Moon

Quote:
it figures a quote like this would come from someone with stewie as there avatar
Old 16th November 2002, 12:53   #225
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
it figures a quote like this would come from someone with stewie as there avatar
blast you and your esterogenical treachary!

yeah, stewie's my hero

Old 16th November 2002, 12:57   #226
DJ Dark Moon

yeah... he's pretty cool, he preactically makes the show
Old 16th November 2002, 12:59   #227
DJ Dark Moon

oops... typo
Old 18th November 2002, 02:39   #228
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
"I challenge you to "clawplach"!"
Comon, can't someone figure out what that quote is from?

Old 18th November 2002, 05:53   #229
DJ Dark Moon

sounds like something from star trek... but wasn't it also in the cable guy?

P.S.

if i'm wrong, please understand, i'm not a "treky"... so i don't need a bunch of people in pointy ears and cheezy velour shirts chanting in klingon on my lawn for miss-quoting
Old 18th November 2002, 13:41   #230
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
oops... typo
you know, you could just it out...

this thread's gotten more derailed than that rocket car that wile e coyote had...

Old 18th November 2002, 13:54   #231
binary hero
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to binary hero
Quote:

this thread's gotten more derailed than that rocket car that wile e coyote had...
that car got pretty derailed...you should check your facts.
binary hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2002, 13:58   #232
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by binary hero
that car got pretty derailed...you should check your facts.
this thread's gotten pretty derailed too, 'twas my point...

Old 18th November 2002, 14:06   #233
binary hero
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to binary hero
i know, but i was wondering if it was as derailed as the rocket car.
binary hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2002, 17:03   #234
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
sounds like something from star trek... but wasn't it also in the cable guy?

P.S.

if i'm wrong, please understand, i'm not a "treky"... so i don't need a bunch of people in pointy ears and cheezy velour shirts chanting in klingon on my lawn for miss-quoting
No!!! You are SOOO wrong!! Everyone knows that Kepluk, the Grand Magistrate of Kemlar said it through the trans-dimensional warpgate in sector 3424-D23-54 orbiting Temsak, the 6th planet of the Yaturn system! Not cable guy! Are you brain dead or something?

Actually, no. Let give another quote, from the same show, but not the same person:

"That's the saltiest thing I ever tasted, and I once ate a big heaping bowl of salt!"

{edit}

Hmmm... that's a little too obscure, I think. How about this:

"You are now dead. Thank you for using Stop and Drop, America's favorite Suicide Booth since 2008"

Old 18th November 2002, 17:26   #235
zootm
Forum King

Quote:
"You are now dead. Thank you for using Stop and Drop, America's favorite Suicide Booth since 2008"
that's futurama - i remember the 'clawplach' thing now, but i've not seen that episode all the way through

Old 18th November 2002, 21:54   #236
DJ Dark Moon

ok... so i don't watch that much TV... sue me

but i sure am glad charges of stupidity wont hold up in court
Old 18th November 2002, 22:07   #237
DJ Dark Moon

Quote:

i dodn't know why i didn't see this before but... now it's crossed my attention... it's quite funny that microsoft would do such a thing considering that the original DOS was half Unix and "Q-DOS" wich microsoft bought from "quantum tecknowledgies" (i beleive that was the original coders) and not to mention the striking resemblance between windows and the MAC OS... rather Bass-Ackwards irony huh?
Old 18th November 2002, 22:48   #238
BDA7DD

Old 26th November 2002, 15:58   #239
Neural Riptide

Quote:
Hell, liberals in general have forgotten what civil liberties are. By definition, liberals are supposed to be protecting and fighting for civil liberties, but nowadays they're all about OPRESSING civil liberties with censorship and "protecting us from ourselves." You'll notice it's always the left-wingers who're supporting tougher drug laws, public surveillance programs, outlawing abortion and cloning, among other things of that nature. In short, for the liberals to continue calling themselves "liberals" is a fucking joke. Not one thing they support these days has anything to do with protecting civil liberties, but instead have everything to do with oppressing them.

???

That sounds more like extreme conservatives to me...
The only example I can think of is the Democratic rep from CA that wants to push through the stuff allowing the RIAA to hack into peoples computers...
I'm not challenging you, or trying to attack your integrity, but could you give some examples? I'd love to learn more.
Neural Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2002, 02:51   #240
BDA7DD

Quote:
Originally posted by Neural Riptide
That sounds more like extreme conservatives to me...
The only example I can think of is the Democratic rep from CA that wants to push through the stuff allowing the RIAA to hack into peoples computers...
I'm not challenging you, or trying to attack your integrity, but could you give some examples? I'd love to learn more.
Well, I've heard that some of the liberals in America are like that, but I don't have any names to give since -- being a Canadian -- I tend to follow Canadian politics more closely. Canada suffers from the "non-liberals claiming to be liberals" problem, too, though.

I'm just glad Canada doesn't have any of the shitty, oppressive laws America is so infamous for having (such as the DMCA, the CBDPTA and the Patriot Act.) Hopefully things will remain this way... I really hope none of Canada's federal politicians listen to the bald-faced lies about how laws like the ones I just mentioned are "beneficial" to fuck knows what cause and "helpful" to the people and try to get similar legislature passed. If that happens, I really don't know where I'd escape to, but I sure as hell won't tolerate living in a country where it's illegal for me to even rip my legitimately purchased CDs into MP3 or OGG files to listen to on my own computer.

Also, I realize I was being quite generalist back there, so I take back my comments which may be construed as such. I'm not accusing EVERY left-winger of having an identity crisis, I'm just saying that there are many out there who do.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News