Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions

View Poll Results: Do you think there's a Tenth Planet, beyond Pluto?
Yes 25 92.59%
No 2 7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15th June 2003, 07:46   #1
Avion
Major Dude

The Tenth Planet [planet X] do you think it exists?

The Possibility of a tenth planet has grown quite strong in the minds of astronomers.
many believe it exists.

I wanna know if you believe it exists.

but first. here are the facts, theories and views....

----------
the following is from rocknroll.force9.co.uk

NASA's Tenth Planet
Specific deviations in the movements of the planets Uranus and Neptune have recently been detected, which NASA says is convincing evidence to prove the existence of an as yet unknown solar body of at least 4 - 8 times the mass of Earth. This planet appears to have a very large orbit which brings it close to the Earth every 3000 - 3600 years. And should start to become visible to us on Earth somewhere about 2012 - 2036.
The planet is just beyond 7,000,000,000 from The Sun and NASA have yet to give it a name, or confirm it's size and velocity. This planet has been taken seriously by astronomers since 1978, and they call it "Planet X".
In 1983 something was spotted by IRAS ( Infrared Astronomical Satellite ), unusual and unexplained perturbations were found in the orbit of Neptune in the infrared spectrum, which cannot be explained by Pluto alone because it is not big enough. But several astronomers went over this in the late 1980's, but they were all unable to confirm anything.

Back From The Past
If this planet does really have an exceptionally eccentric orbit that brings it close every 3000 - 3600 years, then you would have expected it to have been visible to our human ancestors, about 1600 - 1400 bc. Some people are claiming that the Sumerians observed the planet and new all about it, calling it NIBIRU. Sumer was supposed to be the "seat of civilization" or where civilization first emerged. These were certainly exceptionally advanced people for the time, but could any of this be true? The ancient Sumerian texts allegedly describe this planet as, watery and as glowing and brilliant. Are we going to rediscover this in the next twenty years?

Bode's Law
This is an interesting concept. It is a simple mathematical rule which can be used to predict where planets fall in a solar system. But controversially, we have one missing.
It goes like this,

Each of the known planets is roughly twice the distance of the previous one from the Sun

Now the trouble with this is that it advocates the EXPLODED PLANET HYPOTHESIS ( E. P. H. ), because of the gap between Mars and Jupiter where there is an asteroid belt.
The law itself is 220 years old, and was very popular with Astronomers at the time, but when the contemporary astronomers tried to use it to account for all the comets and meteors in the sky, it fell out of favour. However in the 1970's Modern data was achieved using telescopes and space probes, and it added weight to the theory. Indeed there has been recent studies to confirm it using computation, maths and statistics to wind back the asteroid belt, millions of years in time, to it's origin which appears to be the missing planet.
There are many Astronomers who still prefer the much more complex theory that asteroids and comets are the leftovers from planet formations. However it is said that this was the method used to discover Pluto.

The Lost Moon Of Venus
In the 17th and 18th centuries, there were many observations of a satellite of Venus. This is particularly odd because it doesn't have one at all now. The astronomers who observed this body were highly respected men, one was Cassini, who was the discoverer of the division in Saturn's rings.
The Satellite was accurately recorded as being a quarter of the diameter of Venus and it's orbit was 11 days and five hours.
The satellite no longer exists, we have failed to find it with telescopes and probes, where did it go?
------------
------------

the following was found at more.abcnews.go.com

Oct. 7 — Astronomers may have found hints of a massive, distant, still unseen object at the edge of the solar system — perhaps a 10th planet, perhaps a failed companion star — that appears to be shoving comets toward the inner solar system from an orbit 3 trillion miles away.
Two teams of scientists — one in England, one at University of Louisiana at Lafayette — independently report this conclusion based on the highly elliptical orbits of so-called “long-period comets” that originate from an icy cloud of debris far, far beyond Pluto.
“We were driven to this by rejecting everything else we could think of,” says University of Louisiana physicist Daniel Whitmire.

Clump of Comets
A couple years ago, Whitmire, along fellow physicists John Matese and Patrick Whitman, noticed the farthest points of the comets’ orbits didn’t appear random but bunched together, tracing a path across the sky.
“We accidentally noticed they weren’t uniform,” Whitmire says.
First, they tried to explain the clumping from the gravitational pull from a main disk of stars in the Milky Way stars. “That ultimately didn’t work,” Whitmire says. “We’ve gone through several other models trying to explain this.”
At around the same time, John Murray, a planetary scientist at The Open University in Great Britain, made a similar observation in similar comet data. “I started puzzling what this might could be,” he says.
The most obvious but seemingly unlikely explanation would be a planet. “I thought we’d better rule that out,” he says. But as he analyzed the orbits, the farthest points appeared to fall on a circular orbital path — “which is exactly what you would expect if there was a planet out there.”
As the planet — estimated to have a mass between one and 10 Jupiters — orbits, its gravitational wake disturbs the icy debris of the outer solar system, causing some of it to plunge toward the sun as comets, sort of like an elephant ambling through a china shop.
No one has yet directly observed a 10th planet, and there could still be another cause for the cluster of comets.
The University of Louisiana research will be published in an upcoming issue of the journal Icarus. Murray’s paper will appear in Oct. 11 issue of the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.

Very Distant
What’s surprising is just how far out there this supposed planet is. Both Murray and the University of Louisiana physicists put the planet in an orbit about 3 trillion miles — or half a light-year — from the sun. The nearest star is four light-years away.
To put this distance in perspective, consider a miniaturized version of the solar system in which Earth is one inch from the sun. On this scale, Pluto, the ninth planet would be a bit more than a yard from the sun. The new planet, by contrast, would be a half-mile distant.
At that great distance, the 10th planet would be too dim to see by current telescopes, although there is some hope that if it exists, the next generation of space-based infrared telescopes might be able to pick it up.
Murray hypothesizes the planet may have been wandering through the galaxy before being captured by the solar system’s gravity. Whitmire suggests it is a “brown dwarf,” or a failed star, a companion to the sun that was too small to light up.
Although suggestive, the findings are not conclusive. While Murray and the Louisiana physicists agree how distant the new object is, they trace out very different orbits. Murray considers the orbits of 13 comets with the most accurately known orbits; the Louisiana team considers 82.

Too Early to Look for a Name
“It’s possibly suggestive,” comments Brian Marsden, associate director for planetary sciences at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics in Cambridge, Mass. “I don’t want to bet on it. We’re certainly not going to name it.”
Whitmire agrees it’s too early to say definitely there’s something out there.
“Until it’s found, you can never be overly confident,” he says. “We know in science you can be fooled by statistics.” But he adds, “If I was betting, it’s better than 50-50 odds that it’s there.”

------------
------------
the following article is from sciencenet.org.uk/

Is there a Tenth Planet?

In 1930, Pluto was discovered by Clyde Tombaugh - an astronomer who was carrying out a deliberate and systematic search for a new planet.

Shortly after the discovery of Neptune, astronomers had realised there were irregularities in the orbits of both Neptune and Pluto, and had started looking for a ninth planet to explain them. It took many years of searching - principally because Pluto has such an eccentric orbit, and the searchers were naturally looking in the plane of the solar system, where all the other planets lie.

But almost as soon as Pluto had been discovered, it became clear that it was just too small to have an effect on Uranus and Neptune. Although Pluto was in exactly the right place, was this just a coincidence?

Some astronomers think that there is a tenth planet - much larger than Pluto, and much darker or further away - still waiting to be discovered. Others think that we have now found all the major planets in the solar system, and have made calculations to show how all the orbits of the outer planets are perfectly correct.

The answer to this puzzle may lie with Galileo Galilei, the first astronomer to use a telescope in the early 1600s. Researchers have recently discovered an observation of Neptune in his notes. Although Galileo did not realise what he was looking at (he also recorded Uranus without noticing), he logged the position. If his notes are as accurate as they usually were, then they show Neptune a considerable distance from where it should be - and prove that its orbit must have been affected by a tenth planet.

The only thing that can be said in certainty is that if there is a tenth planet, it might have been in the same direction as Pluto in 1930, and it must have an orbit with a high inclination to the plane of the solar system - the area of the sky in the plane of the solar system has been too thoroughly searched to hide any surprises.

Question Number: p00913a
©BSS 1993-2003

SO what do you think?

is there a Tenth Planet?

formely known as knightfairy > Theodis > DJ Theodis
Avion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2003, 07:55   #2
_Blackdog_
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to _Blackdog_
Quote:
Shortly after the discovery of Neptune, astronomers had realised there were irregularities in the orbits of both Neptune and Pluto, and had started looking for a ninth planet to explain them.
pluto is the ninth planet is it not?
_Blackdog_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2003, 07:57   #3
Avion
Major Dude

that's when they didn't know where Uranus was. don't look at me. it's there damn article. LoL

Old 15th June 2003, 08:21   #4
Viper007Bond
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Viper007Bond Send a message via AIM to Viper007Bond Send a message via Yahoo to Viper007Bond
Sure, I heard about this back in the early 90's when I was still a kid. If the other planets are being affected and stuff like that, I'm gonna go with it.

We'll just have to wait 10 years.

- Viper007Bond | Viper007Bond.com
Viper007Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2003, 11:35   #5
apollos
Forum King

sounds cool to me
apollos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2003, 11:54   #6
nierke

Yes! And on that 10th planet lives people just like us

...:::nierke:::...
nierke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2003, 12:45   #7
Kinetik*
Forum Antagonist
(Major Dude)

I vote aye. Once every 3000 - 3600 years? I wouldn't miss it for the world.

Procrastinators of the world unite!... Tomorrow!
Kinetik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2003, 13:17   #8
Janus Lunar
Space: 1 Pilot: 0
(Senior Member)

Send a message via AIM to Janus Lunar Send a message via Yahoo to Janus Lunar
I have my own theory: This thenth planet is not the tenth but the ELEVENTH!

THINK EVERY ONE!

The asteroid belt is supposed to be the remains of a planet that was torn apart by the gravity of Mars and Jupiter.

Mars is a small planet compared to Jupiter so that means that Jupiter has more gravity......

The planet should have been pulled INTO Jupiter......

I say it was struck by a very large rouge comet and blow apart.......

Well before man existed.......

"Love is what you make of it, if you wish it to last for all time, then you must be willing to risk it all for the one you love."

- Sean T. Wiliams (1983 - )
Janus Lunar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2003, 13:30   #9
Budgie
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Budgie
I believe there is a 10th planet beyond Pluto. I remember a NASA artice a while ago that they discovered some "interferences" that might be a planet-like object beyond Pluto.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a tenth planet. Would be so damn icy cold there though . Pluto is nothing but a dark ball of ice.

Please consider the Forum Rules before posting utter crap. Thank you!
Budgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2003, 14:09   #10
dj_rigo

thanks for the cool information A Knight of Euphoria (i just finished reading the whole thing, i never do that ).
i remember when i was in junior school i heard something about another planet, the tenth one, i believe (i hope, coz it would be neat) it exists.

i don't suck, right?
dj_rigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2003, 15:11   #11
Joel
Debian user
(Forum King)

Yes... I posted before...back in the 90's maybe before....
there were some talking about that there's another planet
after pluto....
Maybe is part of another solar system

* PC: Intel Core 2 DUO E6550 @ 2.33 GHz with 2 GB RAM: Archlinux-i686 with MATE.
* Laptop: Intel Core 2 DUO T6600 @ 2.20 GHz with 4 GB RAM: Archlinux-x86-64 with MATE.
Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2003, 16:02   #12
Avion
Major Dude

Yes. There's gotta be a tenth planet!

What if the planet was right at the end of our solar system, where all the icy left overs of our system's birth is. and the rest of Planet X's orbit was ice. so the hole orbit was like an astroid belt of ice chunks, and some where in the urbital path had the Tenth Planet[Planet X]. then you might not even find it, if we were able to look that clearly with the new "coming soon" infrared telescopes.

but the chances of our actaul astroid belt being a planet? could be possible. wow, how importent is it to travel to the astroid belt and grap all that stuff now?

the Tenth Planet having life? you never know. what if the Tenth Planet gets really close? where it's like almost the size of the moon. maybe half the size. there's a chance, that when our planet was super hot and coudn't support life, that, when the tenth planet[icy planet] came by. our planet plus the sun was able to melt some of planet X, causing some ice/water debri to fall towards us. this deri could have carried DNA from past Planet X civilizations.

could they be wrong about the time the planet comes to earth? leading to the question of, is Planet X the Star of Bethlehem?
Is the Star of Bethlehem Planet X or Venus when it was the closest ever to earth?

is god and all the angels written in the bible actually aliens from Planet X? who have more developed mental abilities?

who's who, and what's what?

what I find really interesting is the historical evidence, such as this, copied from above

Back From The Past
If this planet does really have an exceptionally eccentric orbit that brings it close every 3000 - 3600 years, then you would have expected it to have been visible to our human ancestors, about 1600 - 1400 bc. Some people are claiming that the Sumerians observed the planet and new all about it, calling it NIBIRU. Sumer was supposed to be the "seat of civilization" or where civilization first emerged. These were certainly exceptionally advanced people for the time, but could any of this be true? The ancient Sumerian texts allegedly describe this planet as, watery and as glowing and brilliant. Are we going to rediscover this in the next twenty years?

Old 15th June 2003, 16:27   #13
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Quote:
Originally posted by nierke
ssshhhh... you weren't supposed to tell!

i too have heard this theroy, and believe that there is a tenth planet. but to wait another ten years for possible confirmation... damnit i want to know NOW!
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2003, 18:33   #14
ujay
Forum King

Planet finding has always been a popular sport in astronomy, not least because the finder is assured a place in history and gets to give it a name and design the symbol. Of the ones I can remember there have been mixed results, some turned out to be true, some not.

The old way was through mystical laws that few place any faith in now, in fact it held back any more searching for centuries because of it's insistence that the system was already perfect.
The modern way is mostly from direct observation like the larger outer planets, and more recently from gravitational perturbations in these planets. Even this is not always safe. For some time it was believed there was a planet called Vulcan inside the orbit of Mercury, based on the shape of it's orbit. This was later explained in terms of Einstein's theories and I don't think anyone is still lookng.

There has also been a persistent story of a 'Counter Earth' that has the same orbit as Earth, but is 180 degrees further around so it always stays hidden behind the Sun. This is more founded in the occult than science, and gravitational theory and space probes have finally killed it off.

So who's to say with this latest one, have we got the science of planet finding sorted, or is there still more to be learned. For example there is the supposed 'oort cloud' of left over debris that is said to give rise to comets, and there is another smaller one closer in near Neptune, what effect are these having.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2003, 18:58   #15
virtlink
Major Dude

Ofcourse there is a tenth planet. But those guys at NASA don't want to tell us yet, until someone did spot it in 'real-time'. Or else everyone will say that they're just making this story up.

Did you know that there are people who think that the journey to the moon is fake? That it is computer generated?

"I'll quote you when you say something memorable."
- Claudia Pelsmaeker
virtlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2003, 19:23   #16
nierke

Quote:
Did you know that there are people who think that the journey to the moon is fake? That it is computer generated?

lol and there were no such thing as space station "MIR"

...:::nierke:::...
nierke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2003, 22:36   #17
dj_rigo

MIR what???

i don't suck, right?
dj_rigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2003, 00:54   #18
Budgie
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Budgie
Quote:
Originally posted by virtlink
Computer generated? In the 60'? Are you insane?

They taped the moon landing in a barn house somewhere in the mid-west of the US instead .

I've read the computer in the Apollo landing pod had less processing power than nowadays' simpliest pocket calculators *shudders*.

Please consider the Forum Rules before posting utter crap. Thank you!
Budgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2003, 01:31   #19
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Quote:
Originally posted by Budgie
Computer generated? In the 60'? Are you insane?

They taped the moon landing in a barn house somewhere in the mid-west of the US instead .

I've read the computer in the Apollo landing pod had less processing power than nowadays' simpliest pocket calculators *shudders*.
http://www.jimthompson.net/palmpda/Silly/power.htm

Neat!

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2003, 05:57   #20
[Ishan]
Major Dude

Send a message via Yahoo to [Ishan]
I found this in a book:
" PLANET X
Neptune's orbit is Oval which indicates that it has an influence of some external gravity,wich led to the discovery of Pluto.
Scientists now know that Pluto is too small to influence the Gravity of Neptune , so chances are that there is another planet beyond Pluto.
However scientists have found another belt of asteroids beyond Pluto named as 'Kupier Belt' which lessens the chances of a tenth planet beyond Pluto.
But if such a tenth planet exists it maybe too far away, maybe even double the distance of pluto from the sun."

Amateur AVS'er. All over again.

Last AVS Pack :
Resurgence

[Ishan] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2003, 07:56   #21
Kinetik*
Forum Antagonist
(Major Dude)

Quote:
estimated to have a mass between one and 10 Jupiters
I figured the sun was somewhere around that. That's fucking huge.

How big is the sun, anyways?

Procrastinators of the world unite!... Tomorrow!
Kinetik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2003, 08:34   #22
Jay
Moderator Alumni

i would have to see it.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2003, 09:03   #23
Viper007Bond
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Viper007Bond Send a message via AIM to Viper007Bond Send a message via Yahoo to Viper007Bond
Quote:
Originally posted by Fazer

Sun Diameter: 1.39 Million km
Sun Mass: 1.989E30 kg

Jupiter Diameter: 143.844 km
Jupiter Mass: 1.898E[EXP27] kg <- No f'ing clue what that means. My guess is the guy f'ed up when he typed it up and he meant "1.898E27".

So, doing simple math, the Sun is a mere 9663 times larger in diameter than Jupiter.

- Viper007Bond | Viper007Bond.com
Viper007Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2003, 19:02   #24
ujay
Forum King

The Sun contains almost all of the solar syatem's mass.
By contrast , the planets contain most of it's angular momentum.

UJ
Old 16th June 2003, 23:09   #25
hungryskull
Major Dude

Quote:
i would have to see it.
But you would be blind after.

Darn, I can't think of anything to put here.
hungryskull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2003, 06:36   #26
[Ishan]
Major Dude

Did you'll guys knew that one of the asteroids beyond pluto(in the kupier belt) has been named smiley

Last AVS Pack :
Resurgence

Old 17th June 2003, 16:40   #27
MrMagick
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to MrMagick Send a message via AIM to MrMagick Send a message via Yahoo to MrMagick
Want a bit more of article evidence?

The full article

And a snippet:

The Astronomical Evidence
“...no concrete problem is going to be solved as long as the experts of astronomy are too supercilious to touch "mythical" ideas -- which are firmly believed to be plain nonsense, of course -- as long as historians of religion swear to it that stars and planets were smuggled into originally "healthy" fertility cults and naive fairy tales only "very late" -- whence these unhealthy subjects should be neglected by principle -- and as long as the philologists imagine that familiarity with grammar replaces that scientific knowledge which they lack, and dislike.”

Giorgio de Santillana, Ph.D.& Hertha von Dechend, Ph.D.
Hamlet's Mill

A key underpinning of the Sitchin paradigm is the existence, now or in the past, of the tenth planet in our solar system, the home planet of the Anunnaki with the size, orbit, and characteristics described, as Sitchin has demonstrated, in the Enuma Elish and corroborated by Harrington, former chief of the U.S. Naval Observatory, now deceased.

Tombaugh discovered Pluto in 1930. Christie, of the U.S. Naval Observatory, discovered Charon, Pluto’s moon, in 1978. The characteristics of Pluto derivable from the nature of Charon demonstrated that there must still be a large planet undiscovered because Pluto could not be the cause of the residuals, the “wobbles” in the orbital paths of Uranus and Neptune clearly identifiable. The IRAS (Infrared Astronomical Satellite), during ’83 -’84, produced observations of a tenth planet so robust that one of the astronomers on the project said that “all that remains is to name it” -- from which point the information has become curiously guarded. In 1992 Harrington and Van Flandern of the Naval Observatory, working with all the information they had at hand, published their findings and opinion that there is, indeed, a tenth planet, even calling it an “intruder” planet. The search was narrowed to the southern skies, below the ecliptic. Harrington invited Sitchin, having read his book and translations of the Enuma Elish, to a meeting at his office and they correlated the current findings with the ancient records.

The recovered Enuma Elish document, a history of the formation of our solar system and more, says that, at the time when Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Uranus and Saturn were in place, there was a Uranus sized planet, called Tiamat, in orbit between Mars and Jupiter. Earth was not in place yet. A large wandering planet, called Nibiru, was captured into the system gravitationally. As it passed by the outer planets it caused the anomalies of their moons, the tilting of Uranus on its side, the dislodging of Pluto from its being a moon of Saturn to its own planetary orbit. Its path bent by the gravitational pull of the large planets, first its satellites collided with the large planet Tiamat and, on a second orbit through, Nibiru collided with Tiamat, driving the larger part of it into what is now Earth’s orbit to recongeal as Earth, dragging its moon with it to become our Moon with all its anomalies. The shattered debris of Tiamat’s smaller part became the asteroid belt, comets, and meteorites. The gouge of our Pacific basin is awesome testimony to the collisional event. Nibiru settled into a 3600 year elliptical retrograde (opposite direction to all the other planets) orbit around our sun, coming in through the asteroid belt region between Mars and Jupiter at perigee and swinging far out past Pluto at apogee. Harrington acknowledged that his information agreed with all these details and the maps they each had drawn of the orbits were almost indistinguishable. The current probable location of Nibiru (Planet X, our tenth) estimated by both was the same.

-~MrMagick~-
MrMagick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2003, 16:49   #28
Avion
Major Dude

Holy SHit!!!!

Thanks Mr.Magick. Your the best!
that was awesome.

Old 17th June 2003, 17:00   #29
SSJ4 Gogitta
Followed by Gnomes
(Forum King)

Location: West Virginia Googolplex: 10^10¹°° FB:/SSJ4.DominusDeus DeviantArt: DominusDeus XboX GT: A Wild Meeseeks Playstation 4: DominusDeus
Quote:
Originally posted by Fazer

Already been answered, but ill post too, with the info from NASA.

THE SUN:
Diameter
&nbsp;&nbsp;1,390,000 km (863,706 miles)
Mean Distance from Earth
&nbsp;&nbsp;149,597,890 km (9.30 x10^7 miles) or 1 astronomical unit
Age of Sun
&nbsp;&nbsp;4.5 - 4.7 x 10^9 years
Volume (Earth=1)
&nbsp;&nbsp;1.412 x 10^33 cm³
Mass
&nbsp;&nbsp;1.99 x 10^30 kg (7.02 x 10^31 ounces) or 332,830 (Earth = 1)
Density
&nbsp;&nbsp;1.41 gm/cm³
Surface gravity
&nbsp;&nbsp;28 (Earth = 1)
Length of day or Differential Rotation
&nbsp;&nbsp;25.38 Earth days. At the equator the surface rotates once every 25.38 Earth days; near the poles it's as much as 36 Earth days.
Temperature
&nbsp;&nbsp;5,503.85° C (9,935.93° F)

JUPITER:
Mean Distance from Sun
&nbsp;&nbsp;778,412,010 km (4.84 x 10^8 miles) or 5.20 astronomical units
Diameter
&nbsp;&nbsp;142,984 km (88,846.1 miles)
Volume (Earth = 1)
&nbsp;&nbsp;1,316
Mass
&nbsp;&nbsp;1.90 x 10^27 (66.97 x 10^27 ounces) or 317.8 (Earth = 1)
Density
&nbsp;&nbsp;1.33 gm/cm³
Surface gravity
&nbsp;&nbsp;2.34 (Earth = 1)
Rotation period (length of day in Earth days)
&nbsp;&nbsp;0.41 Earth day (9.8 Earth hours)
Revolution period (length of year)
&nbsp;&nbsp;11.86 Earth years
Mean surface temperature
&nbsp;&nbsp;14.85 - 19.85 C (58.73 - 67.73° F)
Natural satellites
&nbsp;&nbsp;Four largest are Ganymede, Callisto, Io, Europa. Two of next largest are Amalthea and Himalia. Total of 61 natural satellites as of May 2003.

That makes the sun 9.72 times bigger than Jupiter.

SSJ4 Gogitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2003, 17:47   #30
MrMagick
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to MrMagick Send a message via AIM to MrMagick Send a message via Yahoo to MrMagick
Xfacts.com seems to have most of the myth and evidence on Planet X all in one place

-~MrMagick~-
Old 17th June 2003, 18:47   #31
Avion
Major Dude

Quote:
Sig posted by MrMagick
If our brains are like computers, does that mean we can upgrade to better and faster hardware?!
yes! mwah ha ha ha ha. I'm serious too

I'll be the first one too. me ganna make sure the whole world does an upgrade. just give me 6 years, LoL

Old 18th June 2003, 13:45   #32
MrMagick
Major Dude

If you can find a way, I'm next!

-~MrMagick~-
Old 18th June 2003, 14:05   #33
iGod

Send a message via AIM to iGod Send a message via Yahoo to iGod
Nice post! Thanks alot!
iGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2003, 15:33   #34
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Quote:
Originally posted by Viper007Bond
Sun Diameter: 1.39 Million km
Sun Mass: 1.989E30 kg

Jupiter Diameter: 143.844 km
Jupiter Mass: 1.898E[EXP27] kg <- No f'ing clue what that means. My guess is the guy f'ed up when he typed it up and he meant "1.898E27".

So, doing simple math, the Sun is a mere 9663 times larger in diameter than Jupiter.
EXP is the same as E (E is an abrev of EXP)
so...
Suns Mass: 1.989*10^30kg
or
1989000000000000000000000000000 kg

Jupiter Mass: 1.898*10^27 kg
or
1898000000000000000000000000 kg

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2003, 17:18   #35
[Ishan]
Major Dude

man that is huuuuuuuge!

Last AVS Pack :
Resurgence

Old 19th June 2003, 02:00   #36
cyu
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to cyu Send a message via Yahoo to cyu
Quote:
Originally posted by nierke
yea, people like us who live in 0 kelvin conditions.
cyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2003, 15:18   #37
Vie
Forum King

Location: Thoron fields and Duranium shadows. Posts: Crap mostly
Quote:
Originally posted by cyu
yea, people like us who live in 0 kelvin conditions.
For those who dont know kelvin.

0 kelvin = -273 C

thats as cold as it gets, so its probably a little above that.

Member most in need of SpellCheck Lifetime Achievement Award

I'm a Twitch Streamer these days, it's weird.
Vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2003, 15:47   #38
xzit

Yes... if it's good enough for NASA, it's good enough for me.
xzit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2003, 19:02   #39
ujay
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by xzit
Yes... if it's good enough for NASA, it's good enough for me.
I rememmber people saying that about 'The Microbes from Mars' story the last time they were looking for extra funding

UJ
Old 20th June 2003, 13:44   #40
MrMagick
Major Dude

Yeah, just look at all the publicity that NASA is getting from this.

-~MrMagick~-
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions