Old 22nd August 2013, 02:26   #1
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

DE-4 TEE Train

Once upon a time, Holland and Switzerland bought a train together.
Actually, Holland bought 3 and Switzerland bought 2, the engines were made in Holland and the coaches in Switzerland.
And with those trains they operated a service between Amsterdam and Zurich.

One of the trains crashed in Germany and was scrapped.
These trains were diesel trains, and in time as the tracks in Europe were electrified, they became obsolete.
So four trains were sold to Canada, where they operated as the Ontario Northlander.

Shortly after arriving in Canada, the numbers on the locs were changed, it seems CN already had engines with those numbers.

These were nice trains, but the engines could not stand up to the Canadian winters. The Dutch motorcoaches were scrapped and replaced by the North American FP7Am.

One of the trains crashed in Canada, from the leftover cars, five went back to Holland were they are being restored to full former glory in the original colours.
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 14:33   #2
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Oooh... I was born on 8th August 1966 in the West-Part of Berlin, and I remember also the journeys with the train in my childhood, mostly in the dark green trains...
http://www.aolsearch.com/image?s_it=...g%20ddr&v_t=na

In the Sixties we had traveled very often with the train, after 1971 my family began to travel with the car. Mostly we visited my father's sister in Holzweissig near Bitterfeld in the "German Democratic Republic". At first we had slept there for a few nights, later we got up very early in the morning, we visited my aunt with the car, and before the evening came, we travelled back home...

1975 we visited my mother's niece in Ludwigsburg near Stuttgart for some days. I wanted to have a journey with the train, and my wish became true. I was sitting again in the dark green train with a diesel locomotive. Later we wanted to make a journey in Austria for 3 weeks, but after 3 days we had to cancel the trip, because my grandfather had suddenly died. We travelled back to Berlin, and then we took again the train, to attend the funeral. On the way back to Berlin we traveled in a double deck train with a steam locomotive...

1977 and 1984 we travelled to the Switzerland with the car. We lived in rental houses, and we travelled to Luzern and to the Vallis with the regional train. The trains in the Switzerland were more modern then the trains in the East-Part of Germany...

1989 the Berlin Wall came tumbling down, and in the beginning of the Nineties I visited the surroundings of Berlin. Mostly I used the Berlin S-Bahn and the regional trains, which were also dark green like the distance trains. Later other trains were used, which are more modern. At the Bahnhof Zoo I had often passed the people, who had visited us for some days. At first I saw the dark green trains, in the Nineties I began to see also the "Intercity Train". September 2003 a girl-friend came back to Berlin after some days...

If I use the Berlin S-Bahn, I'm sometimes passing the interchange stations, where I see also the regional trains and the distance trains, but I don't see the dark green trains anymore. They are in the museums now...

I remember also the Stadtbahner and the other very old S-Bahn trains, which are in the museums now, too, like the old Berlin U-Bahn trains, the old Berlin busses and the old Berlin trams...
http://www.aolsearch.com/image?s_it=...erliner+s-bahn
http://www.aolsearch.com/image?s_it=...erliner+u-bahn
http://www.aolsearch.com/image?s_it=...q=berliner+bus
http://www.aolsearch.com/image?s_it=...r+strassenbahn

PS, nice photos from the DE-4 TEE Train, although the story about this train itself isn't so nice (so many crashes). It's very good, that those trains, which went back to Holland, got back the original colors, and they should be kept in the museums...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 15:10   #3
rockouthippie
Banned

I think the train in the first photos is the "Edelweiss". 1928-1999.

http://goo.gl/pfNafz

Sure looks like it beat Amtrak.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2013, 15:25   #4
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Nice music-video, and I remember again the journey to Stuttgart and Ludwigsburg. It looks like a journey in the Seventies...

Old 22nd August 2013, 17:46   #5
rockouthippie
Banned

Frankly, I could live without the electronica. Yeah, looks like early 70's. People still dressed nice.
Old 22nd August 2013, 19:50   #6
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

In the Seventies my parents were dressed similarly, and they had similar suitcases. I remember the coats of my father, and he weared also glasses. In the train on the way to Stuttgart and Ludwigsburg there was also such a buffet...
I am back at home now. I had visited my mother in the short term, and I had listened to my MP3s in the S-Bahn. But in the Seventies walkmen and MP3-player didn't exist yet...

Old 22nd August 2013, 20:48   #7
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockouthippie View Post
I think the train in the first photos is the "Edelweiss". 1928-1999.
The train service between Amsterdam and Zurich was called Edelweiss, Different types of trains provided the service.
The top two in the picture provided the service from '57 till '74.
Old 22nd August 2013, 22:15   #8
Widdykats
The Forum Slut

Great Photos, TrainMan™!
Widdykats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2013, 20:53   #9
rockouthippie
Banned

It must have been cool to take first class trains back in the day. An express track must have been nice too. Amtrak shares with too many log trains around here for a pleasant ride.
Old 24th August 2013, 19:12   #10
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

amazing how close the northlander's colors are to the Dutch NS colors - both yellow with blue

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Warrior of the Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2013, 19:17   #11
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

"yellow with blue"... I want to post a track now, "The Timewriter - Yellow And Blue"...
Edit: I have found a track on YouTube...

Old 24th August 2013, 21:54   #12
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior of the Light View Post
These trains were related.
First there was the DE-4, developed in the Netherlands with its aerodynamic head.
From there they developed the Mat '54 "Hondekop", the head was rounded out because of concerns about the rain on the windows.
And the last of this development was the Mat '64, pictured above. the head was again slightly altered. This Mat '64 was not a "Hondekop", but it sure looked similar.
Another train that should be listed in this "family" would be the DE-3 (Plan U), the head is the same as on the Mat '64, but that is were the similarities end.
The picture below is the Mat '54, also know as the "Hondekop", in its original colour.

And finally, in its original red colour, The DE-3 (Plan U). It had the nickname of "Red Devil".

Footnote: The DE-3 and DE-4 are Diesel-Electric trains with 3 or 4 cars. Mat '54 and Mat' 64 are electric trains, this Material was first ordered in 1954 and 1964.
Old 27th August 2013, 02:36   #13
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Recently I bought two Marklin trainsets on eBay from a seller in Germany. They are here now and they are beautiful.

Old 27th August 2013, 16:08   #14
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

1996 Frank and I began to buy some trainsets from the older Berlin S-Bahn, we did that until 1999. They were very expensive, and we have only small incomes. We have them up in the bin in the small corridor, well packed in cartons...
My mother had a sister in law, the sister in law herself had a sister, who had lived in Nidda-Harb. She had an own house and 2 children, a son and a daughter. 1977 we were on the way back from the Switzerland to Berlin, and we had stopped by at 4 places, in Alzenau, where one of the 2 cousins of my father had lived (also in an own house), at the house in Nidda-Harb, in Ludwigsburg, where the sister in law took care of her little grandson, and in Bad-Hersfeld, where the previous partner of my father had lived (they had never married). In the house in Nidda-Harb the son had a model railway in the loft. We children saw it in action. Later the son got a stroke at Christmas, with only 40 years, and then the model railway had been sold. His wife, who was widowed, and his sister got the house many years later...
I wish to have also an own house with a loft and with a garden and also more money, then Frank could have a much better railway and more trainsets. But we have to live in a leased apartment with 2 rooms, and we don't have enough place...
Edit: I have called my mother in the nursing home (she is 84 now), but she didn't remember the name of the little city or village. She forgets more and more (1 year ago age dementia had been discovered). But my cousine was able to answer my question...

Old 14th September 2013, 13:46   #15
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

I have these two trains, a Northlander and a TEE. No tracks yet, but they should be on the way soon.

Over the past few weeks I have bought these, so I will have some beginner track. I would say my grandson is going to be here often.

First picture, NS Class 59 Freight Train Starter Set to get us going.

Than I had to order this for the boy, comes with its own track.

Both these were ordered from Euro Rail Hobbies in Langley, BC.

Than, of course I could not stop, so I bought these on eBay:

This will be it for trains for now, next will be more track, more track, and maybe a little more track.
Old 14th September 2013, 15:59   #16
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I am very anxious to see the first photos of Your railway with Your trainsets...
These are some other very good photos:
http://www.aolsearch.com/image?s_it=...anlagen&v_t=na
Frank and I need an own big house...

Old 15th September 2013, 07:18   #17
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Heh, Thomas. I love the old video's, the CGI ones are nice but are nowhere as good as the old ones.

Jesus loves you [yes, you] so much, he even died for you so that you will not need to die, but live forever
Old 2nd November 2013, 16:04   #18
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I want to come back to this thread with the trains now, after I have remembered another part in my childhood last night...

1973-1978 I went to a primary school with "Montesorri Pedagogy". After the fifth class my parents forced me to change the school, although I wanted to stay there until finishing also the sixth class. I had some schoolmates, who lived in a house with a garden (all their parents had well-paid jobs). One of them lived together with his younger brother in such a house. The family had a little swimming-pool in the garden. They had not only their rabbits, at first 2, later more and more rabbits. They had also a model railway in their loft. The trainsets had a bigger normed size than the trainsets in Nidda-Harb, and I saw this model railway in action more than once. In the Seventies & Eighties the children in Germany had to go to school 6 days per week, early in the morning until midday. After the school I visited one of my schoolmates very often, or one of them visited me. We got our lunch, we did our homeworks, and we played with the toys or in the different gardens. We holded also the rabbits in our arms and we played with the trainsets, when I visited this boyfriend. I think, he and his brother are owning the house now or they will own it some day, and the model railway will be still in the loft, if the children of the next generation have been born. I didn't hear something anymore from this boyfriend since a long time, but I wish to know that, of course.

Many children wish to have an own model railway with many trainsets, but only for less of them their wish will become true some day. High incomes and very much place are needed, but only less adults have enough incomes and enough place at home to have an own model railway for themselves or their family. An own house with an own garden is very good. Mostly these people have their model railway in the loft. Thousands of cables are connected, and they have to be checked from time to time. The people with their own model railways need also enough free time to manage them, and they are true fans of the model railways.

I have another question now, but I want to stay in this thread. Does it happen also in other cities and in other countries than only in Berlin and in Germany itself? Many people seem to have fun, if they throw their garbage on the railroad tracks, although there are enough trash cans on the train stations. It is forbidden to throw garbage on the railroad tracks, and it does not look very nice with lots of garbage there. In September I have seen, that also much garbage is thrown into the fountains and artificial waterfalls, and I absolutely do not like that...

Old 2nd November 2013, 16:55   #19
rockouthippie
Banned

When we were kids model trains were expensive. Hell... when we were kids, toys were expensive. Ah the smell of burning machine oil and ozone... nostalgic..
Old 3rd November 2013, 08:18   #20
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

also, most toys of then will still be allright if maintained properly today. Try that with today's Chinese crap. Toys are made to break so parents have to buy new stuff that will break just as easily.

Old 3rd November 2013, 14:02   #21
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
My daughter plays with my old toys from 30 years ago more than she plays with her own new stuff. They're not as clean or new looking; some of the stuff from the sandbox still has traces of sand in it, and small amounts of rust, but for some reason she likes the old stuff a lot more. I can't seem to figure out why.

Renee's old play tea set is ceramic with metal rims and designs; kinda classy looking compared to the pink injection mold plastic Disney stuff that was given to her recently. The baby seems to know to treat the old one gently and loves it.

She also knows she can be rough with the old steel Tonka toys from my old boxes. Those things are pretty much indestructible.

Sadly, I don't have a train set. They were very expensive when I was little and my parents didn't have a lot of money. They sent me to the woods to build play cabins out of sticks and rocks together with old steel Tonka toys, and quite honestly I had fun with it.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 14:26   #22
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Like · Comment · Share
Wildrose-Wally likes this.
Old 4th November 2013, 12:27   #23
webthing
Forum King

webthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 19:25   #24
rockouthippie
Banned

Quote:
also, most toys of then will still be allright if maintained properly today. Try that with today's Chinese crap.
What toys? Man. I didn't get anything like kids have to play with today. I was a grown up before slot cars didn't suck. Trains were the same, except for one big metal one I had. But the transformers would burn out and stuff. A modern train set is a lot more fun.
Old 9th March 2014, 17:28   #25
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Line up photos

From left to right:
Marklin 37500 - Northlander
Marklin 37421 - Koploper
Marklin 37781 - NS ICE-3M
Marklin 39700 - RAm TEE 1
Marklin 37269 - NS 1773

Old 9th March 2014, 23:12   #26
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
Quote:
Originally Posted by webthing View Post

Knuckles are probably the one thing that scare me the most about trains.

EDIT/ Just noticed, the red car is missing a lift bar. Lol

EDIT// I guess it's that thing on the top, I wonder how well that works.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2014, 02:46   #27
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

The trains in Post #25 look very good. I cannot remember exactly anymore, if the man in Nidda-Harb had also a model mountain, model houses, grass & trees in his loft, but the former classmate in Berlin had a self-built model mountain, a little bit provisoric, but very good. We played there very often. I had left the address-lists of my class in the primary school in my mother's home, because I had thought, they would be at a very good place (I didn't know, that a fire could happen).

I could do a earch for communities in Google+, and I think, there are also some communities with model railway fans in Berlin. We ourselves don't have enough place (and money), and a new leased apartment would be smaller than the current one, not bigger (maybe we have to move to find back our inner peace). I had still fun to see the model railways, when I had visited the events on S-Bahn Stations. It is associated with much effort to build up and break down the model railway systems in the halls. After connecting all cables (which can be up to thousand cables) the operators have to check, if everything works.

If I would have had more luck in my life, maybe I could have had a well-paid job. Also a workplace in the Berlin S-Bahn or Berlin U-Bahn sounds beautiful. I had learned to know a bus driver and also 2 motormen, who worked for the S-Bahn and the U-Bahn. And I am very glad, that the U-Bahn-Museum and the Historische S-Bahn in Berlin exist...

Old 12th March 2014, 13:43   #28
webthing
Forum King

"Knuckles are probably the one thing that scare me the most about trains - Mike."

Why? Because of the train scene from the movie..... Damien the Omen 2
Old 12th March 2014, 13:50   #29
webthing
Forum King

My train set!

Old 13th March 2014, 03:02   #30
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

It looks very gigantic. Is it in the attic or in the garage? There are 3 sizes for train sets. Which size is that?...

It reminds me a little bit to the S-Bahn-Station Olympiastadion. This is the link to the routemap:
http://www.s-bahn-berlin.de/pdf/VBB-Liniennetz.pdf

This is the English Version of the Wikipedia (a little bit shorter than the German Version):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_S-Bahn

Old 15th March 2014, 12:17   #31
webthing
Forum King

Sorry Sabine I'm pulling your leg.

I wish that were my train set. That would be awesome though!

That's pictures taken on Dec 25 shows trains in Wuhan, Central China's Hubei province get ready for the operation of the 2,298-km high-speed line connecting Beijing and Guangzhou.

Links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuhan_Railway_Station

https://www.google.com/search?q=Wuha...w=1232&bih=930

http://www.chinatrainguide.com/wuchang-railway-station/

World’s Longest High-speed Rail Line Opens in China
http://www.irrawaddy.org/z_china/wor...-in-china.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=trai...w=1232&bih=930

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/chin...ns/high-speed/

https://www.google.com/search?q=worl...ed=0CAkQ_AUoAQ

http://megaconstrucciones.net/?const...alta-velocidad

Old 16th March 2014, 04:12   #32
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

https://www.nfb.ca/film/railrodder
Old 20th March 2014, 14:50   #33
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to mike-db
Quote:
Originally Posted by webthing View Post
"Knuckles are probably the one thing that scare me the most about trains - Mike."

Why? Because of the train scene from the movie..... Damien the Omen 2
Never watched that movie, but. My first day on Railhead came with some scary images before getting to work.

Like the guy who was squished between two knuckles, he was alive up until the moment they pulled the knuckles apart.

It's a rather dangerous job.

SEX APPEAL UP IN HERE!
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2014, 17:03   #34
webthing
Forum King

Sound Track Runaway Train Scene

Runaway Train Coupling scene

Another executive with the Thorn Museum (they own a museum which is acquiring Satanic artifacts including the wall upon which Damien’s face is engraved) shoots his mouth off about the son of the devil. These people tend to talk a lot, as if it takes a shouting match to awaken Satan. Damien’s cousin Mark overhears this, and is convinced with one read of the Bible. After a walk in the forest, he is cornered by Damien, who demands his loyalty as he declares himself The Desolate One. Mark refuses and Damien force chokes him to death. Not an interesting death, but kind of a cool power to have. Which brings us to the 
executive who shot his mouth off. He is standing in a railroad yard, and a train bearing evidence of Damien’s identity is about to leave the station. He is hit from behind by a train coupler, which pushes him along, and he hangs on for dear life to avoid being cut in two.

As the train couples with another car, pinning our friend in between. In reality, this could takes hours to kill a person as there would be only slow blood loss with the major vessels under clamp. No survival would be possible, as there is no practical surgical way to cut the body in half. There would only be the slow and agonizing death while realizing you have failed to stop Satan’s offspring.

Old 8th February 2015, 19:19   #35
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildrose-Wally View Post
These trains were related.
First there was the DE-4, developed in the Netherlands with its aerodynamic head.
From there they developed the Mat '54 "Hondekop", the head was rounded out because of concerns about the rain on the windows.
And the last of this development was the Mat '64, pictured above. the head was again slightly altered. This Mat '64 was not a "Hondekop", but it sure looked similar.
Another train that should be listed in this "family" would be the DE-3 (Plan U), the head is the same as on the Mat '64, but that is were the similarities end.
The picture below is the Mat '54, also know as the "Hondekop", in its original colour.

And finally, in its original red colour, The DE-3 (Plan U). It had the nickname of "Red Devil".

Footnote: The DE-3 and DE-4 are Diesel-Electric trains with 3 or 4 cars. Mat '54 and Mat' 64 are electric trains, this Material was first ordered in 1954 and 1964.
One more train was derived from these, the mP3000 Motorpost:

Old 11th October 2015, 12:18   #36
webthing
Forum King

Old 25th October 2015, 19:59   #37
webthing
Forum King

Watching a train go by.
http://i.imgur.com/FJALmgu.gifv
Old 27th October 2015, 01:57   #38
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Didn't see that coming!

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2015, 01:38   #39
webthing
Forum King

Dewanganj to Dhaka, Bangladesh - 6 Hour 4K Resolution Train Ride

4K resolution, also called 4K, refers to a display device or content having horizontal resolution on the order of 4,000 pixels. Several 4K resolutions exist in the fields of digital television and digital cinematography. In the movie projection industry, Digital Cinema Initiatives (DCI) is the dominant 4K standard.

The DCI 4K resolution standard is defined as 4096 x 2160 pixels (256:135, approximately a 1.9:1 aspect ratio). This standard is widely respected by the film industry along with all other DCI standards.

DCI 4K should not be confused with ultra-high-definition television (UHDTV) AKA "UHD-1", which has a resolution of 3840 x 2160 (16:9, or approximately a 1.78:1 aspect ratio). Many manufacturers may advertise their products as UHD 4K, or simply 4K, when the term 4K is traditionally reserved for the cinematic, DCI resolution. This often causes great confusion among consumers.[5]

The use of width to characterize the overall resolution marks a switch from the previous generation, high definition television, which categorized media according to the vertical dimension instead, such as 720p or 1080p. Under the previous convention, a 4K UHDTV would be equivalent to 2160p.

YouTube and the television industry have adopted Ultra HD 1 [UHD-1] as its 4K standard and "UHD-2" for NHK/BBC R&D's 7680x4320 pixels

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

Directed, filmed, edited and graded by Toby Smith

Over 6 hours of footage from the window of a train ride from Dewanganj, on the bank of the Jumuna River in the North of Upazila State, to Dhaka, Bangladesh's bustling, mega-city capital.

This 6 hour slow-tv feature is shot in stunning 4K resolution and presented without a single dropped frame or interruption to either image or sound. The journey begins in the quiet rural North of Bangladesh with the sunrise streaming through vegetation and reflecting off paddy fields. After 5 hours the landscape begins to close in on the trackside revealing many of the development issues that face this rapidly growing and urbanising country.

Recorded on a travel day after completing an editorial assignment for Friendship Bangladesh, SES and Getty Images Reportage. The original footage is recorded at 3804 x 2160 pixels and was captured in Pro-Res 422 giving a total capture of 1.65 TB which represented 558,000 uninterrupted frames. The graded, edited version was compressed down with Adobe Premiere CC to an MP4 file at 126GB which took over 72 hours to process. Within an inch of YouTube's technical limit the file took 5 hours to upload on Getty Images' enterprise ISDN connection and YouTube's servers spent 4 days processing the file quality from 320p upto the full 2160p.

Old 28th October 2015, 18:27   #40
Warrior of the Light
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingdjted View Post
Didn't see that coming!
Neither did the driver of the car

Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions