Old 7th June 2008, 12:07   #121
gameschild

Quote:
Originally posted by hugo25
Thanks, 0.7.3 works fine.

Support 24 bit is in plan ?
I'll support it as soon as OpenAL does :-)
gameschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2008, 16:00   #122
Boz1968

It is not his plug in that doesn't support 24 bit, it is Openal itself. Someone would actually have to change the openal.
Boz1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 09:15   #123
themontygirls

Quote:
Originally posted by gameschild
Yep just found that one, it's when you dont have the settings already in Winamp.ini from a previous version. Will fix quickly but will take a while to get it all back onto sourceforge.

Version 0.7.3

Sorry about that chaps.
it still crash for me when i click 'config'. i'm on vista x64. i'm back on 0.6.1
themontygirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 12:08   #124
gameschild

0.7.3 should considered a proper release so remove the old configuration file (c:\program files\winamp\winamp.ini) or remove the section from that file for openal.

If you can PM that file so I can investigate that would help too.
Old 8th June 2008, 21:04   #125
FlyingHorse

@gameschild

Is your plugin looking in the right place for winamp.ini?

On my system winamp is setup on a per-user basis with separate winamp.ini files in \Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Winamp directory path.

HTH
FlyingHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 22:01   #126
DrO

if it's not using IPC_GETINIFILE then it needs to be adjusted to do so. that'll work on any winamp version from 2.90 and up.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2008, 23:01   #127
gameschild

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
if it's not using IPC_GETINIFILE then it needs to be adjusted to do so. that'll work on any winamp version from 2.90 and up.

-daz
I'm not, the SDK example uses GetPrivate etc so assumed (maybe naivily) that that was the correct way of doing it.

Will update this for next release although not sure it's up there on the important fix list (IMHO).

Update: Corrected to use newer version. Will make an SVN checkin tomorrow after some testing. Not sure if it's worth a whole new build though yet just. Will wait for more feedback 0.7.3 first to see if there are any other issues.

Last edited by gameschild; 8th June 2008 at 23:49.
Old 13th June 2008, 10:09   #128
RejZoR

Version 0.6.1 has been very stable for the whole time and now i just found you already released v0.7.3 (darn forum subscription). Well see how it works, so far so good though...
RejZoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2008, 23:46   #129
mezron

Just to let you guys know, the winamp.ini file doesn't get created unless you run winamp as administrator.

It doesn't really seem to matter though, the plugin works great either way! Thanks gameschild!
Old 20th June 2008, 06:33   #130
gameschild

Quote:
Originally posted by mezron
Just to let you guys know, the winamp.ini file doesn't get created unless you run winamp as administrator.

It doesn't really seem to matter though, the plugin works great either way! Thanks gameschild!
0.7.4 (SVN Build - there isn't a release yet) supports the proper winamp.ini location (user folder). 0.7.3 will default to the Program Files directory to which you might not have security privileges.

If I can find some time I shall put a release version for 0.7.4 up this weekend. So far that is the only known issue I know about
Old 21st June 2008, 16:08   #131
lod_19

Hi, is there a way to activate 5.1 channels just like VL 5.1 does, I don't want to use Speaker Fill, btw I'am on Realtek HD Alc 888.

thx
lod_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2008, 16:18   #132
gameschild

Quote:
Originally posted by lod_19
Hi, is there a way to activate 5.1 channels just like VL 5.1 does, I don't want to use Speaker Fill, btw I'am on Realtek HD Alc 888.

thx
If you enable Surroundsound in Winamp and have a 5.1 source then it should output in 5.1.

I don't have 5.1 here so might have to send you a debug version if you can't get it working
Old 21st June 2008, 16:32   #133
lod_19

so it requires 5.1 source, isn't there a way to copy the front channels to the back(just like the directsound from xp does)?

anyway the OpenAL output is great
Old 21st June 2008, 16:39   #134
gameschild

Quote:
Originally posted by lod_19
so it requires 5.1 source, isn't there a way to copy the front channels to the back(just like the directsound from xp does)?

anyway the OpenAL output is great
You could fake it in OpenAL by sending the data to the back too (4.0). You could also OR the two front channels to get the center channel too i presume.

I was playing with it but a little hard to test without 5.1.

I'm actually on Holiday for a week as of tomorrow so I might see if I can get some dev builds up in evening. If you have Visual Studio and TortoiseSVN you can check it every so often - it will be a branch build I'd imagine.
Old 21st June 2008, 17:02   #135
lod_19

10x and happy holiday
Old 21st June 2008, 20:46   #136
Tinuva

Once you have the source files upped I can check em out to test 5.1 or at least 4.0 since that should be very simple after checking that the file is 2.0 and then start sending out 2 extra channels.

As for the middle channel, I bet this will take some extra work as you will have to find which data is exactly the same in the L/R channels and only take that and output it to the center channel. You could possibly add a function that removes bass from all the channels and redirect it to the LFE channel and this is probably easier than the center channel but I personally never make use of this function and it is included with most soundcards and hometheatre receivers.

Perhaps the 2.0 -> 4.0 is the best idea and simplest to implement.
Tinuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 18:46   #137
gameschild

0.8.0 Beta is up. It's under the branches part for now. I think the name is branches/..._0_7_4_expand or similar (on holiday - care a bit less hehe).

It will be defaulted to on so that anything stereo is converted to quad (4.0). If you want to disable it just change the Open() operation.

Algorithm is fairly crap but I'm not too bothered. If it works I'll optimise it.

So yeh, check out the SVN, build and play! (and then tell me if it works)

SourceForge link
Old 24th June 2008, 19:24   #138
Tinuva

Just tested this after compiling it. It definitly works 100% here. Although I didnt check my compile settings thus I ended up with the SSE2 build with configuration box.

I am still trying to find a sound track with more than 2 channels just to make sure that the expansion will be skipped in such a case though I have no doubt about that after looking at the code.

Finally, I think I might just get too used to listing to 2 channel music over 4 channels! Having the channels duplicated sounds so much better than what my receiver would do with upmixing!
Old 24th June 2008, 20:14   #139
gameschild

Ah, excellent news. Yeh the code will only upmix for stereo so if you play anything else it'll ignore it.

I'll update the GUI and see if there's any work that can be done to the algorithm. Not sure if there's any need really depending on how clever the compiler is.

Either way that's in.

Still wondering what to do next, fading sounds kewl as I have no idea how that works so learning will be fun!
Old 27th June 2008, 23:06   #140
RejZoR

Ok, big problem detected.
Today i've upgraded my system with extra 4 GB of RAM (6 GB total) and Radeon HD4850. Now since graphic card has nothing to do with anything WinAMP related it has to be something with RAM capacity. The thing is, ever since this upgrade, your OpenAL plugin just isn't listed in WinAMP.
It's located in Plugins folder where it's suppose to be but in WinAMP preferences i can see only DirectSound plugin.

WinAMP 5.531
WinVista 64bit
OpenAL_Out 7.3.0
X-Fi Xtreme Music
2.18.0001 BETA drivers
Old 28th June 2008, 10:15   #141
Tinuva

It is not the memory that is the problem. Once again you are running 64bit Windows (probably clean install right?) with a 32bit Winamp (only flavour in which winamp gets released) and the openal installer will only install the 64 bit dll on a 64 bit OS.

The plugin doesnt show up if you dont have the 32 bit dll. I had the same so to fix this you can do 1 of a few things:

1. Trick the openal installer into thinking the OS is 32bit, I tried win2000 compatability mode
2. Install a 32bit game like UT3 and copy that openal32.dll to your winamp folder or to your windows\system32 folder

Either way the openal output plugin cant find the openal32.dll right now and therefor wont work at all.
Old 28th June 2008, 10:33   #142
gameschild

Have just updated the SVN build for 0_7_4_expand (under branches) with a new build option (Large Address Support > 2gb) which is off by default. If you're on x64 it may cause problems as 32bit can't see more than 4gb I think.
Old 28th June 2008, 11:20   #143
RejZoR

Then how come it worked just fine before on 64bit OS... till i upgraded the RAM.

btw Gameschild, where the hell do i get these builds?
All i can se on SF is 0.7.3... no branches/folders/whatever to browse.
Old 28th June 2008, 11:32   #144
gameschild

Quote:
Originally posted by RejZoR
Then how come it worked just fine before on 64bit OS... till i upgraded the RAM.

btw Gameschild, where the hell do i get these builds?
All i can se on SF is 0.7.3... no branches/folders/whatever to browse.
Branches

If you're using TortoiseSVN you need to navigate up one level from "trunk".

If you can only see 0.7.3 you're looking under "Downloads", the newer stuff is under "Code" where you'll need to compile it yourself.
Old 28th June 2008, 23:13   #145
Tinuva

Alright I played a bit more with the expansion and I think I have noticed a slight problem. Its actually quite difficult to hear it and when I did I had to play the start of a specific Muse song over and over where I could make this out the best.

It only happens when the stereo expansion for 2.0 -> 4.0 is enabled, I personally never enabled it on mono. It also happened in both the SSE and non-SSE versions.

If its enabled I hear kind of like static on my front left speaker, though it differ as the sound change which is why I had a hard time picking it up. First I thought it might be interferance on the cables somewhere however I use mostly digital up to my Receiver.

I tracked it down by going away as soon as I disable the stereo expansion.

Then one other thing, the Expansion setting, if you change it in the non-SSE version's config panel it only takes affect after restarting winamp. Not a big issue but I am sure someone else will also ask about it later.

For Rejzor and whoever else that wants to test a already compiled version (this is as is from the source). Alternativey you can wait for gamechild to compile his later.

link: http://www.eshara.za.net/test/out_op....4_0.8.0b3.zip
code:
http://www.eshara.za.net/test/out_openal%200.7.4_0.8.0b3.zip
Old 28th June 2008, 23:28   #146
gameschild

Ah I have also heard that (strange static with expansion on); only just got back from holiday today so will be testing it on my desktop tomorrow.

At the moment the PCM data for Quad is:
{FL1, FR1, RL1, RR1}, {FL2, FR2, RL2, RR2}, {FLn, etc

FL = Front Left.

That may be incorrect; I'm not sure.
Old 29th June 2008, 09:44   #147
gameschild

Version 0.8.0 Beta 4 is now in SVN.

Fixes static issue and configuration not updating Stereo/Mono expansion until reboot of Winamp

P.S: Today I shall be mostly focusing on 3D positioning.

Last edited by gameschild; 29th June 2008 at 10:19.
Old 10th July 2008, 15:53   #148
soddit112

afternoon all

im having an issue compiling 0.8.0 beta 4, ive dled it from SVN using tortoiseSVN and tried to compile the ".vcproj" files, none of which work. it throws up an error saying that several files cant find a file called "al.h", which ive checked and isnt anywhere in the SVN project, in case it should be. it also says

code:
1>Project : warning PRJ0018 : The following environment variables were not found:
1>$(OPENAL_SDK_DIR)

i have the SDK, if thats what its on about. as you can probably tell i have very little idea what im doing, and would really appreciate some help as im sick of CMSS-3D butchering my music, and i get loads of popping with the upmix turned on in beta 3. thanks!!

im running C++ express edition 08, if that makes any difference
soddit112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 16:14   #149
gameschild

Ok for a start you want to open the .sln (Soluton) file

Second al.h is part of the OpenAL SDK which is listed below:
http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/default.aspx and OPENAL_SDK_DIR is an environment variable (My Cmp, Right Click, Properties etc...) which points to where you have installed the OpenAL SDK so it can find files e.g. al.h
Old 10th July 2008, 16:31   #150
soddit112

thanks for the reply, but its still failing with the same errors. the "include" folder wasnt in the SDK when i checked earlier, but it is definitely there now. would it help if i restarted my pc at all?

and would it effect it if it was being run it a folder with a long list of sub-folders? due to my clumsyness its in
code:
c:\program files\tortoisesvn\bin\winampopenalout\branches\out_openal_0_7_4_expand\
Old 10th July 2008, 17:24   #151
gameschild

I've updated the Release build as it wasn't using OPENAL_SDK_DIR. On my machine it's
code:

C:\Development\OpenAL 1.1 SDK

If you're still having issues I've put a binary for 0.8 Beta 3 on SourceForge under the downloads section.

Last edited by gameschild; 10th July 2008 at 17:57.
Old 10th July 2008, 18:17   #152
RejZoR

Thanks! Now i don't have to use ALchemy anymore.
0.8 beta 3 works fine with 6 GB of RAM
Old 10th July 2008, 18:44   #153
soddit112

cheers, yeh its still not working :S

funny thing is, its still throwing up the same errors, and seems to have found some new ones aswell

code:
1>c:\program files\winamp\winampopenalout\trunk\configfile.cpp(48) : warning C4706: assignment within conditional expression

and

code:
1>cl : Command line warning D9035 : option 'Wp64' has been deprecated and will be removed in a future release

though the second one seems to be for 64-bit mode

for some reason its still showing

code:
1>Project : warning PRJ0018 : The following environment variables were not found:
1>$(OPENAL_SDK_DIR)

so something freaky is going down...

my brothers got visual studio 08, so hes going to try it in case theres something amiss on my pc

*EDIT*

just found i get a warning when converting out_wumpus.vcproj

code:
Web deployment to the local IIS server is no longer supported. The Web Deployment build tool has been removed from your project settings.

sorry for bombarding you with error messages and breaking the page. hope one of them helps

Last edited by soddit112; 10th July 2008 at 19:18.
Old 10th July 2008, 23:19   #154
gameschild

Quote:
Originally posted by RejZoR
Thanks! Now i don't have to use ALchemy anymore.
0.8 beta 3 works fine with 6 GB of RAM
Oh yeh I forgot about that, woot!
Old 11th July 2008, 10:31   #155
Tinuva

Alright:

Quote:
You actually need to set this up. On XP you go:
1. Right click on "My Computer" click "properties"
2. Click the "Advanced" tab
3. Click the "environment variables" button at the bottom
4. Click the "new" button. Anyone will do. For user you need to log out and back in to take affect. For System you have to reboot windows to take affect
5. Variable name: OPENAL_SDK_DIR
Variable Value: "C:\Program Files\OpenAL SDK 1.1.\"
Old 11th July 2008, 12:46   #156
soddit112

i think ive found something with the stereo expansion. after checking the expansion, playing a 6 channel track deactivates it, as it should. however, it doesnt re-activate after the track is over, and requires re-checking in the config box. although not a major bug, it is pretty annoying and could become irritating for someone with a mixture of stereo and mutli-channel tracks

thanks

Last edited by soddit112; 11th July 2008 at 15:27.
Old 11th July 2008, 15:25   #157
gameschild

It isn't just to do with that as it isn't switch it off, it's a bug. I'll investigate on Saturday; in Kent today and London tonight so not home till Saturday afternoon.
Old 26th July 2008, 09:19   #158
Tinuva

WoW I must say this plugin is real stable right now. Apart from the above glitch I can't say I ever wanted to move back to directsound output, even in XP.

This plugin just works. In fact when I accidentally had dsount on winamp on another user account I was like...wtf happened to the quality. Once I changed back to this plugin it was back. Sounds like dsound just doesn't have the edge anymore.
Old 26th July 2008, 10:01   #159
gameschild

Actually it is fixed in 0.8 Beta 4 which is in SVN but I haven't built it yet.

I'm working on Beta 5 which will let you position the 3D source but I'm kinda busy with work and it just isn't working hehe.

Will try and post beta 4 soon.

Download Beta 4

Enjoy

Last edited by gameschild; 26th July 2008 at 10:31.
Old 27th July 2008, 23:18   #160
Kaishi

Send a message via Yahoo to Kaishi
I've just installed wumpus_out_openal 0.8 beta 4. I think it sounds a fair amount better. I'm trying to see if I can find a really solid way to test. I know that directsound can lag at times when OpenAL shouldn't be lagging (when an optical drive spins up a CD that isn't being played, this lags most things, but OpenAL seems to avoid it).

A request to the plugin author:

Would it be possible to implement some of the kinds of controls present within out_ds? Namely, the elimination of data below a -db threshold? This allows us to effectively make MP3 tracks seamlessly link. If this isn't possible in OpenAL, then I'll ultimately be sticking with out_ds.

I do feel like the OpenAL quality is higher, even at 16-bit, than out_ds is at 24-bit. That may have to do with the software emulation of directsound requiring a resampling at some stage of the game... I've heard of things like that before. OpenAL is a great means of avoiding those resampling issues, though. That and ASIO.
Kaishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion