Old 28th July 2008, 19:39   #161
gameschild

You could drop all samples from left and right when both are below a threshold yes but you'd have to check each sample which is a little pointless halfway through the track so I'd be better of checking, say, the first and last 500ms I guess.

Is that what you're talking about? Removing silence from the end?

If so I'm not sure what the API call to Winamp is to determine the length of the track to determine when to start checking etc.

If you know please let me know!
gameschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 13:38   #162
Kaminari

ASIO sounds much better, but the scope and targeted usage are different.

Really, I can't hear any significant difference between DS and OpenAL. But maybe that's because I tried it on a good old SB Live in analog stereo (still, it's connected to a monster Onkyo receiver, which is not too shabby).

In my understanding, OpenAL is not supposed to sound particularly better than DS. It's just a (much welcome) open-source alternative. Properly configured and with a good set of audio drivers, DS will still deliver the goods. Of course with an SPDIF connection, that might be entirely different.
Kaminari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2008, 10:18   #163
NUA

I'm having a problem with OpenAL output in combination with FLAC files. After two or three seeks within the file, sound stops, Winamp's track time display doesn't advance, and although the time jumps to the correct point when I do further seeks, playback never resumes. When I stop and start the track, or move to another track, it plays normally. Do several seeks, it locks up again.

I've also found out that, when playback is frozen, if I go into OpenAL plugin configuration, change the buffer length (big or small, any change will do), and click Apply, playback is resumed. After a few seeks, it locks up again.

Interestingly, this problem doesn't happen with MP3 files and OpenAL output, or with FLAC files and DirectSound output.

Can you please look into this?

(Vista SP1 x64; Winamp 5.54; OpenAL Out 0.8b4, but also v0.7.3 had this problem)
Old 3rd August 2008, 10:15   #164
Tinuva

Hmm, I will have to test that flac problem again, I had it some time ago but not last time I tested which was around 0.8b1

As for the quality, openal sounds quite a fair bit better than DS_out in Vista on my Auzentech X-Fi Prelude connected to a Sony receiver on both Analog and Digital using DTS-C, I am not sure why but I believe the only thing to explain this is that openal in vista bypass's windows's unified audio interface and goes directly to the hardware buffers in the card, which DS_out only supports on WinXP/2K really.
Tinuva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 23:05   #165
gameschild

It's a known issue. On my Creative Audigy 2 on Vista i can BSOD by using the Left/Right keys to skip.

Seems fine on MP3, only affects FLAC. Only seems to be a case with hardware acceleration too. Will look into it; shouldn't be too hard to fix because like you said the other ways to resume it work fine so I just need to use the same method.

If anyone has source code you'll see what I mean if you look at Switch..Device() (or something similar) and SetTime (or something similiar) - it's been a while since I've read the code.
Old 10th August 2008, 18:47   #166
gameschild

Ok after an hour of scratching the old noodle (brain) I got the bugger. I have also listened to the first 5 seconds of Paint It Black by the Rolling Stones 50 bloody times.

I shall do all the things for a Beta 5 release and put it on SourceForge in a bit.

For those interested it was caused by Winamp calling APIs for pausing and my pause code wasn't checking if it'd been relocated (skipped) so after the skip it just played nothing and bam!! - BSOD. Other things is it thinking it's playing but nothing happening.

The source code also has the 3D stuff in there but its disabled, if anyone has a second please PM me and ill tell you which line to uncomment to get the GUI part up as I can't figure out why 3D positioning doesn't work.

Beta 5 (Skip fix)

Last edited by gameschild; 10th August 2008 at 21:19.
Old 24th August 2008, 13:40   #167
RejZoR

Hm, now i'm using this OpenAL plugin with ADI SoundMax AD2000b chip (on ASUS P5Q Deluxe board) and works great. Only thing that bothers me is that at start the sound "stutters" for like 2 or 3 seconds, similar to what happens when game locks up and a small fraction of audio sample is looped over and over again. After this, audio plays great and everything works just the same as with X-Fi soundcard. Do you have any idea what might cause this or how to fix it?
RejZoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2008, 14:11   #168
gameschild

Quote:
Originally posted by RejZoR
Hm, now i'm using this OpenAL plugin with ADI SoundMax AD2000b chip (on ASUS P5Q Deluxe board) and works great. Only thing that bothers me is that at start the sound "stutters" for like 2 or 3 seconds, similar to what happens when game locks up and a small fraction of audio sample is looped over and over again. After this, audio plays great and everything works just the same as with X-Fi soundcard. Do you have any idea what might cause this or how to fix it?
Could be the initial buffering running out, ill increase the prebuffer time.
Old 24th August 2008, 14:18   #169
RejZoR

It does this regardles sof the buffer lenght. Tried 1000, 2000 and 4000ms...
Old 24th August 2008, 17:36   #170
gameschild

Ah no, sorry - miscomunication - there is a prebuffer flag to get the initial data in there, a boolean. This should be an integer to get more data in the buffer before it starts playing.

I've updated the SVN code now and rebuild binary today or tomorrow.
Old 24th August 2008, 17:49   #171
RejZoR

Oh Let me know here when you'll update the binary.
Old 25th August 2008, 20:26   #172
RejZoR

Ok, it seems this is not limited only to SoundMAX.
Your latest beta 5 does this stuttering thing even on X-Fi Xtreme Music. I never got that in any earlier beta so it seems to be a specific thing for this build.
Just to let you know about this.
Old 25th August 2008, 23:11   #173
gameschild

Quote:
Ok, it seems this is not limited only to SoundMAX.
Your latest beta 5 does this stuttering thing even on X-Fi Xtreme Music. I never got that in any earlier beta so it seems to be a specific thing for this build.
Just to let you know about this.
Download Beta 6

Give this a shot and tell me how it goes...
Old 25th August 2008, 23:34   #174
RejZoR

Nope. It still does the same. It sounds different but it still stutters badly for the same period of time and then goes on with the music as it should. Donno what you've changed but i never got such problem before.

For example, version 0.5.0 works just fine and doesn't have such problems. So i'm just using this older build that i had in the backup.

Last edited by RejZoR; 26th August 2008 at 01:20.
Old 8th September 2008, 20:52   #175
Tinuva

Interesting error. I wonder what it is on that motherboard that makes this error you experience possible.

For example on my nForce 680 chipset and XFi Prelude this doesn't happen at all. I do notice though that with flacs the visualizer loses track if I skip a lot but the sound plays just fine regardless, and it is not something I am going to break my head over as I really just care about the brilliant sound.
Old 14th September 2008, 11:59   #176
Tinuva

I found a new bug. It must have been introduced in b5 or b6 since I have been using b4 mostly for a long time.

When the volume slider is not on 100% and you skip to the next song then instantly start skipping into the song around 20-40% then the volume change from what it's set to, to 100%. Of coarse this does not show on winamp but you can hear it.

Only reason this happen is, Winamp is quite a bit louder than media player classic, thus my Winamp is set to softer most of the time after watching a movie or so.
Old 22nd September 2008, 21:49   #177
gameschild

Hey guys sorry for the delay - work and projects taking up too much time.

Working on the volume thing now but not sure when I'll have a fix.
Old 27th September 2008, 10:38   #178
gameschild

Ok got a fix - will be testing this weekend and posting at some point on SourceForge so check it Monday!
Old 1st October 2008, 22:04   #179
gameschild

Gentlemen, for your consideration Beta 7.

Includes the volume fix, I'm still looking into RejZoR's problem.
Old 3rd October 2008, 21:35   #180
Tinuva

Cool, it works, but I now get a lot of problems. Specifically on some of my Soil songs. I open winamp, and it starts with the song I left it last on. It starts playing the song, but immediately windows pops up with an error saying the program caused a violation something while the song plays, but one cant control winamp anymore and it stops completely at the end of the song. Wierd error really.

I will download the source later and compile it myself with debugging symbols enabled to see if I can generate a better report. Buddy wants to go drink a beer now at a bar so will have to wait for later.
Old 3rd October 2008, 22:04   #181
gameschild

Sure, it's very hard to test with just one persons collection. I've been playing with FLAC and Mp3 without issue but I'll try a much broader range tomorrow on different machine.
Old 4th October 2008, 08:01   #182
Tinuva

Alright I solved the problem by placing the OpenAL32.dll I used to use with Windows x64 into my Winamp install on Vista.

I installed new drivers last week for my soundcard, RC8 for my Prelude and they might have completely broken openal again. I have noticed I do not have hardware devices anymore according to the plugin but only software...but this is probably due to the drivers again /sigh
Old 5th October 2008, 10:50   #183
andrebrait

Send a message via ICQ to andrebrait
Could you work on making the driver detect windows' sound configurations, speaker setup, for example, and make the sound expands to whatever is set there?
Would be nice =D
I mean... I just want this output because I want my 5.1 sound system to work like a 5.1 sound system, not cheap stereo speakers
andrebrait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 07:22   #184
andrebrait

I know it will take time, but, is this in your plans for the plugin?
Old 6th October 2008, 15:16   #185
soddit112

Quote:
Originally posted by andrebrait
I know it will take time, but, is this in your plans for the plugin?
have you turned on stereo expansion?

make sure your running one of the new version 8 betas, previous versions dont have it
soddit112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 18:08   #186
andrebrait

8 Beta 7.
Yeah, the expansion works, but only for 4.0, not 5.0 ou 5.1
Old 6th October 2008, 19:31   #187
soddit112

Quote:
8 Beta 7.
Yeah, the expansion works, but only for 4.0, not 5.0 ou 5.1
thats all it does so far, but the other two channels arent that important, or as noticeable as 4.0, most sound card/ speaker systems can pull out bass on their own, and the centre channel is pretty spurious as it is

though id imagine full 5.1 is on the wishlist. it certainly would be nice
Old 6th October 2008, 19:56   #188
andrebrait

yeah... 5.0 haha
the .1 is not so important to me, my own home theather automatically redirects bass to the subwoofer
The center is important, it's the most potent of the 5 speakers
Old 6th October 2008, 20:06   #189
soddit112

Quote:
yeah... 5.0 haha
the .1 is not so important to me, my own home theather automatically redirects bass to the subwoofer
The center is important, it's the most potent of the 5 speakers
from a positioning perspective, its not that important, its output can easily be emulated through the two front speakers.

but of course, if your speaker system has an immensely powerful centre speaker like some home cinema systems, its quite important
Old 6th October 2008, 20:51   #190
gameschild

I'm not entirely sure what I'd use the center speaker for - combine the left and right perhaps (you're emulating it so it has to come from somewhere).

As for a wishlist there isn't one! You can however submit feature requests to SourceForge.

If you add 5.0 (yeh most systems will add bass but in theory I could add LFE for 5.1 to the mix based on the lower frequencies) I'll get around to adding it; I was kinda hoping someone would add to the Open Source part but so far few takers.

All ideas welcome.
Old 6th October 2008, 21:04   #191
soddit112

Quote:
Originally posted by gameschild
As for a wishlist there isn't one! You can however submit feature requests to SourceForge.
i was speaking hypothetically, but big thanks for that link!!

Quote:
Originally posted by gameschild
If you add 5.0 (yeh most systems will add bass but in theory I could add LFE for 5.1 to the mix based on the lower frequencies) I'll get around to adding it; I was kinda hoping someone would add to the Open Source part but so far few takers.

All ideas welcome.
would adding an LFE channel to the plugin make bass sound any better? identifying it earlier and mixing it using openal instead of whatever algorithm the speaker system makers used should provide more accurate bass, right?

im really surprised no-ones contributed, as this is a really intriguing and useful plugin. i definitely would, but unfortunately i cant write code

yet
Old 14th October 2008, 20:54   #192
Tinuva

Quote:
Originally posted by Tinuva
Cool, it works, but I now get a lot of problems. Specifically on some of my Soil songs. I open winamp, and it starts with the song I left it last on. It starts playing the song, but immediately windows pops up with an error saying the program caused a violation something while the song plays, but one cant control winamp anymore and it stops completely at the end of the song. Wierd error really.

I will download the source later and compile it myself with debugging symbols enabled to see if I can generate a better report. Buddy wants to go drink a beer now at a bar so will have to wait for later.
This is a silly problem, in one of the "ml_" plugins that the pro or such version of the latest version of winamp 5 installs. I have had this exact same problem, I ended up moving all the plugins out and moving them back in in groups.

First all the out_ ones, then the in_ ones, winamp worked perfectly, except I like some of the other plugins like gracenote ect.

So I ended up moving back all the ml_ plugins and winamp broke. So the next move was moving those back in groups of the ones I thought I needed.

Now I only have these ml_ plugins and my gracenote works:
ml_autotag
ml_playlists
ml_plg
ml_pmp
ml_rg

Of coarse I just chose random ones which looked like the ones I needede and so far its been working.

You experience might differ but I think this should guide you on fixing the latest version of winamp.

Now I am really happy that I can be back on the OpenAL output plugin
Old 23rd October 2008, 18:32   #193
vxpulse

Wow you guys really took the ball and ran with this! I'd really like to thank and congratulate gameschild for actually working on this so hard and everyone else for helping him trouble shoot and debug! I had given up on openAL support for winamp and creative all together and jumped ship to the Asus Xonar DX which just has built in emulation for everything from the get-go instead of using a 3rd program like alchemy - but I think I'd like to give your OpenAL plugin a try!

Thanks again!
vxpulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 12:50   #194
RejZoR

Would it be possible to route output of other plugins thorugh this OpenAL output?
So i could for exmaple use AudioBirst Acuity FX and output it through OpenAL ?
Old 8th November 2008, 10:43   #195
gameschild

Quote:
Would it be possible to route output of other plugins thorugh this OpenAL output?
So i could for exmaple use AudioBirst Acuity FX and output it through OpenAL ?
No idea, what are they exactly? If they're Winamp DSP plug-ins then they already do don't they?
Old 8th November 2008, 11:56   #196
RejZoR

It's DSP plugin but acts like output plugin (basically output plugin with DSP processing). So you can't use your plugin to output...
Old 8th November 2008, 12:21   #197
gameschild

It depends if they have some kind of API that'll let me take the output data and do that part in OpenAL. I did a quick google and found the page but it just talks about it and links to the Winamp site.

Later on today I'll release 0.8 final - no real changes except the code has been cleaned up. One thing I may do is look at seeing how it would be possible for others to extend it although I'm not sure of the need as there seem to be very few people interested.
Old 10th November 2008, 17:34   #198
Goujon

Hi!

I've been using your plugin for over a month now, works like a charm. Finally no more playback stuttering when my CPU is under heavy load

One tiny thing nagged me though: When winamp was in paused state, jumping to another location in the current song also continued playback, unlike the behaviour of the default output plugins. I've included a very simple patch (diff & patched source file) to fix this, in case you're interested.

And btw, thanks for all your work
Attached Files
File Type: zip out_wumpus.zip (7.7 KB, 254 views)
Goujon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2008, 18:14   #199
gameschild

Quote:
Originally posted by Goujon
Hi!

I've been using your plugin for over a month now, works like a charm. Finally no more playback stuttering when my CPU is under heavy load

One tiny thing nagged me though: When winamp was in paused state, jumping to another location in the current song also continued playback, unlike the behaviour of the default output plugins. I've included a very simple patch (diff & patched source file) to fix this, in case you're interested.

And btw, thanks for all your work
Ah i didnt even notice that, must have slipped in whilst i was fixing the skip problem. Will add the fix into the code tonight.

Update: 0.8.1 released Get it 'ere

Last edited by gameschild; 10th November 2008 at 19:45.
Old 25th November 2008, 12:24   #200
soddit112

ive found an annoying glitch when compiling in 64bit vista: out_openal.dll goes to "program files\winamp" when winamp installs itself in "program files (x86)\winamp".

not a major problem, but still a problem. i hope its fixable ^^
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion