Old 23rd December 2000, 04:22   #1
jwnin

Send a message via AIM to jwnin
Hi,

I've noticed that when I click on a stream from live365.com, i'm prompted to open a .pls file. It would be great if Winamp could automatically open them, like it does for .m3u files. Is anyone else having problems with .pls files from live365.com?

I think I know why this occurs, but am not quite sure how to fix it.

I've checked to ensure that Winamp is registering .pls files. The registry entry for .pls is there. The value for (Default) is Winamp.PlayList. The content type is listed as audio/scpls.

However, when I go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type, i note that audio/scpls is not present.

I've added the key manually, and put in the value of .pls for 'Extension'. However, it need one more item -- the CLSID for Winamp. I'm guessing it doesn't have one, as I don't see a 'Winamp.Application'-type entry in the registry. If you happen to use one of the CLSID's for Windows Media Player, it actually brings up winamp. I'm not sure why/how that works.

Hopefully what I've written is pretty clear. Winamp's a great program, and this is such a minor ding that it's almost not worth commenting on. However, it'd be a nice perk if this was fixed (or, if someone could tell me what I did wrong, if anything)

Thanks,

John
jwnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2000, 04:42   #2
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

Are you using Internet Explorer 5.5, by any chance?
Winsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2000, 04:45   #3
jwnin

Yes, I am using IE 5.5 (sp1).
Old 23rd December 2000, 22:58   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Did you fix the problem?
Anyway, see if this helps (it may prove useful for someone else anyway):

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pls
(Default) | "Winamp.Playlist"
ContentType | "audio/scpls"
Winamp_Back | "file_type_pls"

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\
audio/scpls
(Default) | (value not set)
Extension | ".pls"

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.Playlist
(Default) | "Winamp playlist file"
AlwaysShowExt | ""
EditFlags | 00 00 01 00

There'll also be sub-entry keys under Winamp.Playlist
DefaultIcon
Shell
|_ Play | (Default) | "&Play in Winamp"
|_command | (Default) | ""C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINAMP\WINAMP.EXE" "%1""

To make a new "EditFlags" key:
Edit menu -> New -> Binary Value
Name = EditFlags (-> ENTER)
Edit -> Modify : change data value as above

For new (Default) = Edit -> New -> String
String name = (Default)
This should be automatically created in the right pane when you create any new key,
so all you have to do is : Hi-lite (Default) string -> Edit -> Modify -> Enter value data

Exit RegEdit

Confirm Winamp is default player for PLS & M3U (Prefs -> FileTypes) -> Exit Winamp

Confirm everything:
Windows Settings -> Folder Options -> FileTypes
Scroll down for "Winamp playlist file" -> Hi-lite -> Edit
Description = Winamp playlist file
MIME = audio/scpls
Default ext = .pls
Action : Play in Winamp = default (if not, hi-lite & click "Set Default")

Checkmark : Always show extension (optional)
UNCHECK : Confirm open after download

Action : Play in Winamp : hi-lite -> Edit
Command line = "C:\Program Files\Winamp\winamp.exe" "%1"

Okay everything & voila!

If this still doesn't work, try changing the MIME to audio/mpegurl instead.
Some people have reported that audio/mpeg works best for them.
Other have used : audio/x-scpls | audio/m3u | audio/x-mpegurl | etc etc.
Changing this in Folder Options -> File Types will automatically adjust the Reg settings.

eg.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\audio/x-scpls
(Default) | (Value not set)
Extension | .pls

Hope this helps

Further MIME settings (possibly relevant) can be found here:
How to Unassociate RP8 from Streaming Playlists & Make Winamp the Default Instead

----------
DJ-Egg
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2000, 03:03   #5
jwnin

After trying your solution, I figured I should just watch what happens in the registry when I click on a stream on live365. I downloaded regmon (http://www.sysinternals.com/regmon.htm) and watched what went on. It looks like internet explorer is actually looking for audio/x-scpls (perhaps just in this one case?)

I created the key below, and put in the value below:
HKCR\MIME\Database\Content Type\audio/x-scpls
Extension | ".pls"

Everything works fine now.

Perhaps the Nullsoft guys can look at the registration code for .pls, and see if something's gone wrong there? Thanks again for a great product.

Old 24th December 2000, 04:01   #6
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

Coolness! Yeah, ya gotta love Regmon. It's come in handy several times for me too.
Anyway, thanks for the info.
Winsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2000, 15:49   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Nice one!

Does your Content Type now = "audio/x-scpls" in Folder Options -> FileTypes ?
(for : Winamp playlist file)
Or is it still "audio/scpls"

Anyway, another precautionary measure is to remove the checkmark for:
"Register files on Winamp start"
(Winamp -> Prefs -> FileTypes)
Otherwise, there's a possibility it'll keep resetting the PLS MIME association.
Old 24th December 2000, 16:03   #8
jwnin

It's odd -- I don't see 'Content Type' listed there.
I can only specify:

name: Winamp Playlist File
actions: Enqueue, ListBookmark, Open, Play
Confirm open after download: unchecked
Always show extension: checked
Browse in same window: greyed out.

I don't have a Win9x box around, but I seem to remember the content type being an option. I'm not sure where it's been moved to in Win2k. Thanks again!

John
Old 25th December 2000, 00:28   #9
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

That IS odd. There must be some way of editing the MIME apart from via the Registry.
Typical Of Micro$oft again. I'm stickin' to my trusty Win9x for the time being, methinks.

Okay, so there's no MIME config utility under the "Edit" button, but what about when you just hi-lite the entry for Winamp playlist file?
Underneath, does it still say (as in Win9x) :

Extension: pls m3u
Content Type (MIME): audio/scpls (or : audio/x-scpls)
Opens with: Winamp

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

The main thing though is that you've solved the problem.
If it hasn't been done already, this needs reporting to Microsoft.
People shouldn't have to go into the Registry to make pls playlists stream properly.
I'm also sticking with IE5.1 (SP1) for now aswell!
Judging by all the problems I've seen on the forums, it could be a long long time b4 I upgrade.
Old 25th December 2000, 02:09   #10
jwnin

When I highlight the entry for a .pls/.mp3/.m3u file, it says...

Details for 'MP3' extension

Opens with: Winamp [Change]
Files with extension 'MP3' are of type 'Winamp Media file'. To change settings that affect all 'Winamp Media File' files, click Advanced. [Advanced]

I've also talked to a friend of mine who is running Windows ME; he confirms that the dialog is similar to the one in Windows 2000.

I've been running win2k for quite a long time now, and really like it. It's been very stable, both at home, and work.

I agree; one shouldn't have to go into the registry to make pls playlists stream properly. One should just click the .pls extension in winamp, and have Winamp handle it.

John
Old 6th January 2001, 22:47   #11
tjd

Argh, this is terribly frustrating...

I've read through 5 threads about this, and there still doesn't seem to be a general solution to the problem. I'm running IE 5.5 SP1, Win ME, and WinAmp 2.71.

I managed to get the 'Always ask' box to not be greyed by doing what someone else suggested, adding a value "Extension" = ".pls" under HKCR\MIME\Database\Content Type\audio/scpls. But even when I uncheck it, I get the question again (and the box is re-checked) on subsequent attempts. Argh! I confirmed that 'EditFlags' under HKCR\Winamp.PlayList does get the value '00 00 01 00' which should mean "don't ask me".

What a mess... changing the mime type of .pls didn't work for me either, etc., etc... I'm out of ideas.

Has _anyone_ been able to get this to work under WinME?
tjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2001, 23:00   #12
tjd

err, i meant audio/x-scpls (actually I tried both...) and the extension == ".pls".
Old 6th January 2001, 23:25   #13
tjd

ok, so maybe i should have tried a little harder before i asked for help... because now i have it working

thanks (again) to jwnin for pointing out regmon... I downloaded it watched what was happening, and saw that it was looking for (and not finding) "EditFlags" under "HKCR\Applications\WINAMP.EXE". So, I added it (Binary Value "EditFlags" = "00 00 01 00").

This seems to have done the trick, even with 'Register types on Winamp start' and 'Agent/Maintain file associations' turned back on, I don't get prompted anymore. I tried deleting the 'audio/x-scpls' key (Extension=".pls"), but that one seems to be necessary as well, when I deleted it the box was greyed out again.
Old 6th January 2001, 23:27   #14
jwnin

Try this: Save the text below to c:\temp\pls.reg
and then import the .reg file into the registry.

Also, try disabling the winamp agent. (ctrl-p, winamp|agent, uncheck 'enable winamp agent').

------file begins below this line-----

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pls]
@="Winamp.PlayList"
"Content Type"="audio/scpls"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\audio/scpls]
"Extension"=".pls"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\audio/x-scpls]
"Extension"=".pls"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.Playlist]
@="Winamp playlist file"
"EditFlags"=hex:00,00,01,00
"AlwaysShowExt"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.Playlist\DefaultIcon]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Winamp\\winamp.exe,2"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.Playlist\shell]
@="Play"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.Playlist\shell\Enqueue]
@="&Enqueue in Winamp"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.Playlist\shell\Enqueue\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Winamp\\winamp.exe\" /ADD \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.Playlist\shell\ListBookmark]
@="Add to Winamp's &Bookmark list"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.Playlist\shell\ListBookmark\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Winamp\\winamp.exe\" /BOOKMARK \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.Playlist\shell\open]
@=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.Playlist\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Winamp\\winamp.exe\" \"%1\""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.Playlist\shell\Play]
@="&Play in Winamp"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Winamp.Playlist\shell\Play\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files\\Winamp\\winamp.exe\" \"%1\""

Old 7th January 2001, 07:29   #15
jwnin

Excellent, glad that tool helped. Its been incredibly useful for me...
Old 21st May 2001, 06:07   #16
kcobrien

This thread did it for me; I needed to modify the "audio/scpls" and "audio/x-scpls" MIME types. Of all the threads that I chased, and they were (very) numerous, this is the one with the most information beyond novice level. Way to go jwnin! And thanks DJEgg as well for providing the links to finally get me here. I will be making a redirect comment on the thread that you responded to me on.

Winamp is a fine application, and I use it because it is developed for the user and not the company. By that I mean it does not try to dominate the desktop and be vague and impenetrable like RealPlayer, who learned it from MS themselves.

But, I do have to agree with jwnin regarding whose responsibility it is to solve this problem, i.e. NullSoft must find a way for install and Winamp itself to diagnose and correct problems of this type. I don't think that it would take much to accomplish this, and I think that it is necessary in order to fight hyper-aggressive applications. Besides, you guys do such a good job of supporting the product, why not finally solve a problem that has already consumed some serious bandwidth.

To add my small part to this body of knowledge, I append the offending registry entry as it was prior to the fix. To assist product development, I follow that with the CLSID key and subkeys that are listed in it. MPlayer was owning both MIME types even after I had opened it and unassociated it from as much as possible and had confirmed via windows file types and regedit that the right extensions (.mp3, .pls, .m3u, .xpl, etc.) were pointed to the right file types. Also note that RealPlayer was uninstalled shortly after I began the debug process, and I scoured the registry to make sure it was not the culprit; in this case it was good old MS. Cheers.

The MIME type keys prior to editing :

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\audio/scpls]
"Extension"=".xpl"
"CLSID"="{22d6f312-b0f6-11d0-94ab-0080c74c7e95}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\audio/x-scpls]
"Extension"=".xpl"
"CLSID"="{22d6f312-b0f6-11d0-94ab-0080c74c7e95}"

The CLSID key and subkeys:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}]
@="Windows Media Player"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}\Control]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}\EnablePlugin]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}\EnablePlugin\.aif]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}\EnablePlugin\.aifc]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}\EnablePlugin\.aiff]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}\EnablePlugin\.mov]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}\EnablePlugin\.qt]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}\EnablePlugin\.ra]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}\EnablePlugin\.ram]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}\EnablePlugin\.rm]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}\EnablePlugin\.rmm]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}\EnablePlugin\MIME]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}\EnablePlugin\MIME\audio/aiff]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}\EnablePlugin\MIME\audio/x-aiff]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}\EnablePlugin\MIME\audio/x-pn-realaudio]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}\EnablePlugin\MIME\video/quicktime]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}\InprocServer32]
@="C:\\WINNT\\System32\\msdxm.ocx"
"ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}\LocalServer32]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Windows Media Player\\mplayer2.exe"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}\MiscStatus]
@="0"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}\MiscStatus\1]
@="131473"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}\ProgID]
@="MediaPlayer.MediaPlayer.1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}\Programmable]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}\ToolboxBitmap32]
@="C:\\WINNT\\System32\\msdxm.ocx, 1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}\TypeLib]
@="{22D6F304-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}\Version]
@="1.0"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{22D6F312-B0F6-11D0-94AB-0080C74C7E95}\VersionIndependentProgID]
@="MediaPlayer.MediaPlayer"
kcobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2001, 19:36   #17
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Thanks for the extra input & registry info!
However, I think you'll find that your problem was more caused by RealPlayer8 and NOT by MediaPlayer!
The reason being that only RP8 supports the evil .XPL format.
This is the extension affiliated to PLS playlists upon installation of RealPlayer8, where it converts the association to its own secure XPL format. I think you'll find that WMP, like Winamp, doesn't support the XPL format . . . heck, as far as I know, WMP doesn't even support the PLS playlist format, only M3U (or at least it didn't up until v6.4 . . . sorry, but I've never installed WMP7 to find out . . . and I honestly don't ever intend to!)
Judging from your evidence, it looks like RP8 has changed the MIME association for audio/scpls and audio/x-scpls from PLS to XPL, but the CLSID entries created by WMP are still intact. Sadly, the registry strings aren't restored upon uninstallation of RP8, further proving how badly coded it is . . . and also further disproving RealNetwork's integrity!

More information regarding this whole phenomenum = here:
How to Unassociate RP8 from Streaming Playlists & Make Winamp the Default Instead
Mugged by RealPlayer
Help! - RealPlayer is still screwing me
Old 13th August 2001, 00:42   #18
StanAccy

Windoze Registry entries

Ok, so it seems several people have figured out how to correct Winamp's installation problems.

Why dont the Winamp developers fix this?

There are a million other programs out there that can correctly manipulate the registry - surely, given that Winamp is so cool, the developers could fix this simple, but highly annoying install problem?

StanAccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2001, 02:29   #19
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Huh?

This is an old thread relating to Winamp versions pre v2.72

As far as I know, this problem is definitely fixed in v2.76

btw, the various problems outlined above were caused by bugs in either IE5.5, Win2k, or RP8 . . . not Winamp.

Are you still experiencing problems with streaming PLS files under Winamp 2.76 ?
If so, please explain in detail

And, for the record, there's also millions of happy Winamp users out there who've never experienced this kind of problem before, and many like myself who've never experienced any problems with Winamp whatsoever (apart from the occasional problem caused by some slightly dodgy 3rd party plugin, which is easy to fix by simply removing said plugin)
Old 13th August 2001, 15:17   #20
StanAccy

Still not fixed in Winamp 2.76 {:-)

Winamp Version: 2.76 (x86) Jun 4 2001.
IE 5.5 SP2
Win 2K SP2

Its the same installation problem thats been around for the last several releases.

After a clean install of Win 2K, IE 5.5 and Winamp 2.76, I opened up www.shoutcast.com, clicked on a stream, and IE didnt know what to do with the .pls extension.

After adding the missing values to the registry (using the reg file posted on this thread previously), everything works ok.

{:-)
StanAccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2001, 06:59   #21
windsor

Re: Still not fixed in Winamp 2.76 {:-)

Quote:
Originally posted by StanAccy
Winamp Version: 2.76 (x86) Jun 4 2001.
IE 5.5 SP2
Win 2K SP2
Same here. Just reformatted and did a fresh install of Windows 2000 pre-SP3, IE 6 and Winamp 2.77. ".pls" still do not open automatically after association. Perhaps the reason why many people do not seem to have this problem is because they do not bother to report it. It is relatively a small inconvenience. The audio/x-scpls trick still fixes the problem.
windsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2001, 20:15   #22
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Okay, sorry people, probably my fault for not adding this to
The Official Winamp 2x Bug List

Although I'm still convinced that this is a Win2k/IE5.5+ security-related issue (where */x-* MIME settings are secure; the default should be just audio/scpls), a simple fix can be incorporated into the Winamp installer to register:
HKCR\MIME\Database\Content Type\audio/x-scpls
Extension | ".pls"

Though I thought Justin had already included this (along with all other relevant MIME settings) to fix the old RealPlayer8 .xpl bug? Obviously not ?!?!

I'll update the official buglist this weekend
Old 12th October 2001, 03:37   #23
windsor

Interesting...

Here is something I noticed. After installing Windows 2000 pre-SP3, IE5.5, and Winamp 2.77 on another machine, I experienced the .pls association problem, but with a twist. I usually listen to classical music at MostlyClassical.com, and the .pls would not open automatically. The link is:

http://www.shoutcast.com/sbin/shoutc...e=filename.pls

But when I click on the equivalent link at sister site DigitallyImported.com, the .pls does open automatically. That link is:

http://www.di.fm/mp3/trance.pls

Maybe the problem has to do with redirection? I don't know. The audio/x-scpls fix does its trick again.
windsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports