Old 13th May 2008, 16:38   #1
fed0r

Send a message via ICQ to fed0r
PRESETS for the CONTEST

We've got the contest!!!
You see thread created only for posting presets.
Don't ask questions here, you won't be answered.
If you don't know the rules, please read milking-contest thread in this forum (thanks Flexi).

Post ZIPs or RARs.
Like that:
Attached Files
File Type: zip presets.zip (30.9 KB, 4744 views)
fed0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2008, 17:23   #2
hexcollie

Send a message via AIM to hexcollie
i think i just started lactating?

Gasp! after so much hype, a real contest!! I feel like a mother whale...
PS: Nice submission fed!
Attached Files
File Type: zip hexcollie.zip (45.8 KB, 3976 views)

^_^ Don't Panic!! ^_^
hexcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2008, 05:39   #3
Saint Goody

Tool is the key...

Here:
Attached Files
File Type: zip goody - contest presets.zip (31.2 KB, 3580 views)

I am the purple heathen.
Saint Goody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 08:34   #4
fed0r

lazy?

Hey guys!!! You better hurry up now... I'd like to finish the contest in one month - by 20th July we'll have finished.

Last edited by fed0r; 19th May 2008 at 11:15.
Old 22nd May 2008, 16:03   #5
fed0r

Please more activity...

I see people reading this thread are not very competitive... But we'll include your best presets in the next release of WINAMP so it is the way to become famous and satisfy yourself! So please try to put your best presets here, even if you think they are not good enough for others.
(Flexi,ORB,Hex,Stahlregen,Nitorami etc. - WHERE you are??)
Anyway, here's my best presets so far, excluding ones that are in my first post.
Attached Files
File Type: rar new stuff.rar (11.6 KB, 3043 views)
Old 23rd May 2008, 18:06   #6
Saint Goody

Give it time. July is still quite a ways off. I think that this may have been posted quite prematurely if the 20th of july is the goal. I thought that it was the end of may.

If I had know that july was the date, I've got some new effects that I would have included.

AROUND THE 19th OF JULY.

I am the purple heathen.
Old 26th May 2008, 21:44   #7
ORB 13

I'm working on it just have not had much spare time to come up with some really good stuff. Fed, two of your presets have syntax errors.
ORB 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 08:31   #8
fed0r

Which version of MD do you use? It seems these errors are "undeclared identifier 'tex2d'". And this error was removed in MD2.08c - so update. Bu anyways sorry for not thinking about older versions.
Old 27th May 2008, 11:48   #9
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Flexi
well i do stuff, but i keep changing and changing my presets over some time until i am assured they are really cool. and i'm still carving out brandnew effects...

btw: i haven't watched your presets on this thread yet
I am convinced the are all more or less unique - i will sift them thru when i've finished my submission.
Flexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 20:09   #10
Nitorami
Major Dude

Yes, sorry for the silence from my side - am working on it. Just haven't got the time I wish I would have.
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2008, 15:37   #11
fed0r

Ok. Then I'm quiet and cold until 18-19 July. P.S. watch this: STEAM UPDATE http://alexander.sannybuilder.com/Fi...ct/steamup.gif
Old 29th May 2008, 11:16   #12
fed0r

j1m

only the best
Attached Files
File Type: milk fed's blur 5!.milk (6.7 KB, 2322 views)
Old 29th May 2008, 21:03   #13
Saint Goody

Okay, what the hell is going on with this contest?

Are we just going to keep updating our submissions or what?

It's probably a GOOD IDEA to figure that out before we just start posting randomly in this thread Fed0r.

I am the purple heathen.
Old 1st June 2008, 16:09   #14
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

i packed my bundle.

have fun
Attached Files
File Type: zip submission.zip (52.0 KB, 3014 views)
Old 1st June 2008, 20:36   #15
Phat
Major Dude

Not to be a nag but... I see a lot of me and Eo.S.' code used here with no credit given... (Eo.S.' glowsticks waveform code comes to mind, but is not the only example)

I just ask if your not going to put our names into the file name, please at the very least put a thank you inside of that area of code. (For instance some of our presets use Krash's beat detection, or Zylot's rainbow generator... We put a comment that denotes that after that section of code).

I'm just saying it's fine to use our code for stuff, but using it and giving no credit is kinda unethical. Although I still think it's fine to leave us out of the file name if you choose to.

I just don't want 3 years from now people thinking someone else created some of our code.
Phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2008, 20:51   #16
Saint Goody

I've tried to do that with the presets being put on here as much as I can, but I think I've only used Unchained's beat code for a couple of mine. Some of them come from a long time ago before I discovered the forums or even thought of posting presets online, so I'm not entirely certain of that...

Let me know if there is anything else that I've forgotten to mention on mine. Come to think of it, I don't think anyone would mind if you were more specific in which presets need citations/renaming.

For the rest of you I ask again:

WHAT THE GODDAMN HELL IS GOING ON WITH THIS CONTEST? It really doesn't make sense if we are just going to keep on posting presets because we can just do that on the forum anyway.

Come on.

I am the purple heathen.
Old 4th June 2008, 00:22   #17
Phat
Major Dude

okay I totally will, it's easy for me to tell cuz i know eo.s.'s comment style. Just didn't want to point any fingers and such, and be a prick, but I'll make a list totally.
Old 4th June 2008, 15:34   #18
ORB 13

Yeah i noticed that to, the "rotate arm" comment gave it away that that was glow sticks waveform code. Give credit were credit is due.
Old 9th June 2008, 12:39   #19
Phat
Major Dude

I also saw Rovastar's Fractopia per frame code used...
Eo.S.' Chasers custom waveform code
" " GlowSticks custom waves
Fishbrain's Witchcraft custom waves
Shifter's Feathers custom waves
and...
Zylot's Spiral custom wave.

Almost every single artist that posted in this thread had at least one. I'll post a list of which .mlk file in this thread had code that needs to be credited.

Even though these people have given the code out freely online, they still own the copyrights to the code they have written.
Old 9th June 2008, 13:35   #20
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

Quote:
WHAT THE GODDAMN HELL IS GOING ON WITH THIS CONTEST? It really doesn't make sense if we are just going to keep on posting presets because we can just do that on the forum anyway.
do you wish for a bashing orgy?

As for crediting... i really don't know how to handle... On the one hand you can lose track of the artists as fast as you do mash-ups and on the other hand, there's also some code of mine remixed here and there and i think that's no big deal as long as the presets look really different.
(@Demon Lord:!)
But i must admit, that it is an issue.
Of course there are some brilliant pieces which can be remixed on and on and that will always carry their very own special character, but sorry - running up for credit is somehow lame (let's correct that as fast as possible!)

i thought of this as an open and peaceful competition, where everybody is inspiring each other.
Are'nt we one family?
Old 9th June 2008, 15:49   #21
Phat
Major Dude

Of course there are some brilliant pieces which can be remixed on and on and that will always carry their very own special character, but sorry - running up for credit is somehow lame (let's correct that as fast as possible!)

i thought of this as an open and peaceful competition, where everybody is inspiring each other.
Are'nt we one family?

No, I don't know any of you. If 'running up for credit' is somehow lame, taking a uber unique preset someone spent quite a bit of time conceptualizing, spending 5 min changing the colors, and taking their name out is lame beyond reason.

Now I'm sure most of this wasn't malicious, but I can look at these presets and instantly tell what code was was from what. Most of those preset authors don't actively post anymore, thus cannot speak up for themselves. Remember, quite a bit of people download Winamp... I'm just asking you guys give credit where it's due when we're talking about including stuff in a major release. If not in the file name, in the applicable area of code, that way copyright knowledge is preserved.

It's just a clean and ethical way of doing things.
Old 9th June 2008, 16:42   #22
Phat
Major Dude

DemonLD_-_Gambit's_disco uses Eo.S. Glowsticks custom waves
DemonLD_-_Future_dominanta uses FiShbRaiN Witchcraft custom waves
fed's chasers in the sky4 edit uses Eo.S + Phat chasers 11 sentinel C custom waves
fed's witchcraft (Grow mix) -crusher
and
fed's witchcraft 2 uses FiShbRaiN Witchcraft custom waves
Hexcollie Lightshow of the future2 uses Eo.S. Glowsticks custom waves
Hexcollie Lotus Plumage in Flight uses Shifter feathers (angel wings) custom waves
Hexcollie Melodic pulsing leds uses Zylot Spiral
Hexcollie Scaly Clouds uses Rovastar Fractopia (Unspoken Mix)
Old 9th June 2008, 16:51   #23
Phat
Major Dude

anyway, I'm not 'running up' for MY 'credit' here. I've spent a decent amount of time doing this even though it doesn't get me anything really. Most of these authors where my friends... I was pretty sure it was most likely the people just forgot who's code they where using, thus I'm just helping them out. Notice none of my code was being used, thus no one is 'running up for credit' here.

I'm sure each different author would have a different opinion on the situation, but I know Eo.S' reaction was "that's so fucking lame". She spent quite a bit of time on some of that code.

In the end, every one of them really was a pretty groundbreaking 'people really haven't made milkdrop look like this ever before' preset. Which means it's not just the time it took to write the actual code, but the entire process of conceptualizing it...

I'm not even asking people put their names in the .mlk name, just maybe a "such and such" wrote this in the area's of code.

Although I know personally Eo.S. wants her name in the .mlk file saves....
Old 9th June 2008, 21:14   #24
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

Flexi picture of some mathematicians homeplanet uses Rovastars Fractopia as well
*blamingmyself*
Old 10th June 2008, 08:40   #25
Saint Goody

Flexi, clarify your statement about a bashing orgy. I may just want one.

What I'm asking is if it even makes sense to just keep posting new presets as we make them and call it a contest.

Eh, fuck it. I've been too busy with UltraFractal recently anyway.

I am the purple heathen.
Old 10th June 2008, 16:25   #26
hexcollie

hmmmmm, I move from indiana to michigan and when i finally get the internet and load straight to the preset forum this is what i see....guarana, tisk tisk...Anyway, sorry for the lack of credit, but i'm sure there are a lot more violating such issues of respect. But hey, I gotta nice HD screen displaying 1360x768 and a new video card so im ready to redeem myselph and form a more funkchunel family

^_^ Don't Panic!! ^_^
Old 11th June 2008, 21:00   #27
Nitorami
Major Dude

Here is my input finally. Five ps2 and ps3 each.
Attached Files
File Type: zip subm_martin.zip (34.3 KB, 2614 views)
Nitorami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2008, 10:44   #28
Flexi
wellspring of milk
Major Dude

absolutely insane, martin!

i just saw you isengard preset and i only had one track on my mind:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=bwq61tHiEG0
Old 13th June 2008, 09:36   #29
Eo.S.
Milkdrop Moderator

yes, there have been some presets posting that use other people's code without credit, for example my glowsticks code has been used, but my name is nowhere in the title, that's plagiarism.
There has been a pretty standard method for giving credit for as long as presets have been getting posted in these forums. If you remix someone else's preset you name the preset as your remix of it. If you borrow code from someone's preset rather it being a full on remix you put those author's names in the title, either as your own name + that author's name, or to comment in the title as such [e.g. authorName - preset title [krash's beat code] ].

I have no problem with people using my code or remixing my presets [if i did, i wouldn't post them in the forum], but credit must be given, otherwise you are presenting work as if it were your own. Part of collaboration is giving credit where credit is due.

The cases here where it's already happen i can totally accept as unfamiliarity with how the community has worked, but if credit isn't given i can name names and presets [i'd prefer to avoid that sort of conflict, i think this can be resolved peacefully and quite easily].

Eo.S.
Eo.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 17:00   #30
Stahlregen

The way I see it, you should give proper credit whenever possible, but that can be quite difficult with the new "Mash-up" remixing function, because you have elements of 3-4 different presets (the two shaders fall away in PS1 presets, and the post-processing is done by shaders in PS2+) at once, which are possibly remixes or mashups themselves - and sometimes you can't identify who wrote which part of the preset you're using.

So you end up with very long names, and you need to remember 4-8 author names - sometimes you just accidentally forget someone. Then there's also bug: the mashup slots will shift 1 position down in the preset list if you save the mashup under a name that's alphabetically before whatever preset you entered the mashup fuction through.

Some people also just saved their mashups without proper credits for personal use, and decided to simply share them after all somewhen later, with no ill intentions. An additional problem is that when you mashup such a preset again, you'll have no idea who to credit...

So again, when you discover your code somewhere without credit, you should simply ask to be credited properly. If that's important for you.
Stahlregen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2008, 17:16   #31
hexcollie

^^^what he said, I try to credit everyone that I use in my mashes or take pieces of code from and i add my name at the beginning not for credit, but so i can find them out of the giant mass of presets i have. However, I have no problem whatsoever with fixing any errors in credit that bother anyone

^_^ Don't Panic!! ^_^
Old 14th June 2008, 03:09   #32
Phat
Major Dude

It's one thing to post presets that aren't credited. It's another all together to try to get code that isn't yours predominantly in a major release of Winamp without credit....

It's just lazy and sloppy, it doesn't take long to jot down someone's name so you can put their name in the section of code your using from them. (If you don't like long file names) Or to track them down before you try to get them released in Winamp..... Or just not use mash ups, and write some of your own code....

I mean most of the presets that where used where not some 'I have to look all over the forums for the last 6 years' to find them. Most of them where defaults in previous versions of Winamp.... I could look at them and tell you what they are right off the bat, I only checked to make sure of spellings....

Whatever, I doubt any of it was malicious...

I am just saying people do license milkdrop presets for various things. Milkdrop preset authors retain rights for the code they have written... I know most of you might not have experience with this...

Whatever.
Old 14th June 2008, 03:17   #33
Phat
Major Dude

ops... hickup
Old 15th June 2008, 17:41   #34
fed0r

Oh god... I was out for 2 weeks and what do I see? Please don't blame anyone - it looks not like a contest, but is totally insane! Can you just stop busting the thread, OK? We all must keep authors in comment, and it's never mind if you forgot the name. By the major release all included code will be detected, right? So please be loyal.
Old 27th June 2008, 07:09   #35
HeAdRuSh

my first creation!
Attached Files
File Type: milk [headrush-groundshaker].milk (4.8 KB, 1705 views)
HeAdRuSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2008, 19:35   #36
dyermaker01

nice work nitorami some of those are beauties
dyermaker01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2008, 18:07   #37
Saint Goody

holyfuck this failed...

Nice presets here, but holyfuck...

I am the purple heathen.
Old 10th July 2008, 22:03   #38
AdamOrosco27

Adams Master Mashup FX

I dont write or create them though i can Mash the heck out of them let me know what everyone thinks
Attached Files
File Type: zip presets.zip (191.6 KB, 2238 views)
AdamOrosco27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2008, 19:00   #39
ORB 13

Finally done, I really need to sort out my presets some.

Here is my selection got some old stuff for md1 and some new stuff for ps2 and ps3, looks quite nice
Attached Files
File Type: rar orb preset selection.rar (43.4 KB, 2157 views)
Old 18th July 2008, 04:32   #40
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

I've also posted in the other 'milking-contest' thread.

As Phat & Eo.S. state above, if you are remixing someone else's preset, then you MUST include the original author & preset name in the new title.

e.g. original = Mr Mong - Mind Meld
Remix = Mr Mong vs Bong Crisby - Mind Meld Remix
Remix = Mr Mong vs Pluker - Spock on Acid (Mind Meld Remix)
etc etc

If there's been any presets already attached that don't follow this rule, then please list them below, and/or post them again with the corrected filenames.

Other than that, keep them coming!
Only submissions posted in THIS thread will be considered
(saves me having to go through hundreds of other threads).

Also, I'd be interested in hearing from you if you think there's any of the currently included presets that can be removed.

We'll probably have to get rid of the some of the older ones to make way for the newer ones.

I could just remove some myself, but I don't want to upset anyone, so any help would be appreciated.

DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Presets