Old 4th February 2004, 06:35   #1
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

Real "thinking" movies

There are a shitload of movies out in this strange and fascinating world that try to make you think. But, as my experience has shown so far, most just fuck you over and become gigantic cliches that could have been explained in about six pages of tight-written text.
Take the Matrix. What a fucking letdown. Yeah, good movies, but as far as the philosophy went, they should have just left the first one alone. When they tried to continue it, it turned into the Bible, and that's just fucking annoying. And I like the Bible. But think about it: They spent millions of dollars, revolutionized the use of cameras and computer imagery, to rewrite an ancient story that most people already fucking know.

Another problem with "thinking" movies is that they try to confuse you to hide the fact that they're just rewriting a book that was written by a dead Roman a couple thousand years ago. Look at Minority Report. What the fuck was that? I was told how it kept me guessing,how it really changes my outlook on the future. What? Obviously, if you were surprised by advanced technology involving crimes and such, you never read any Asimov, or Christ, even Bradbury delved into the subject.

But wait, there's more.

There are a few "thinking movies" that are quite good (surprisingly in some cases). Many of them are old, but most of them don't involve special effects as a plot line, feature huge actors of the time, or even try to create a whole new world. Somehow instead of trying to dictate how we see life, these films give you a different angle from which to look. These films can put strange spins on old thoughts with dialogue, or just completely skewer your current ideas by shining the light from a different place (something we all need at some point in time).

So, I want to create a list of Real "thinking Movies." Ones that don't so much "Change the way you thought about [insert generic object, like cows, here]" But instead just give you a good story that surprises as well as entertains.
  • A few good examples:
  • American Beauty
  • The Manchurian Candidate (sadly, they're remaking this one. I'm willing to bet it'll do decent at the box office but will suck terribly compared to the original)
  • Fight Club
  • Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
  • Pi
  • Memento
  • A Clockwork Orange
  • One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
  • 12 Angry Men
  • Pulp Fiction

There are more out there. Make some suggestions, as I'm eager to expand my strange fascination (and hate) of the people who think movies like Titanic or AI: Artificial Intelligence or even The Matrix Series to be life changing or well-thought out, or even thought provoking.

To all those who think I'm wrong about the Matrix: Watch it again. And every time someone says Neo say Christ aloud. And then read the bible. Either way, it's repetitious.

So, in conclusion, "little help?"

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Fickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2004, 09:17   #2
K-Can

I totally agree, but i still enjoy no brainers...100%!!!!

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas-That is THE best fucking movie, bloudy funny but twists to shit closer to the end...love it!

12 angry men, ya a thinker bit dry for my liking.

American Histroy X, not so much a twister..made me think tho (more about life than how the movie would end), that goes for "what dreams may come-robin williams" as well.

12 monkeys-bruce willis...EWWW! (been a while since i saw it so its a lil grey) i thought was a decent flick.

training day was aright, kinda twisted in a somewhat predictable way. Same as Insomnia.

not thinker's but i did really enjoy 28 Days.

The cell, most hate and i cant blame em..too much crappy acting and lotsa special effects. But hey who needs drugs when you got the cell...

lets face it most yank movies are made for morons. They spell EVERYTHING out. Who the fuck stupidifies a movie on purpose...? Love UK movies but just cant get many
K-Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2004, 16:42   #3
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

12 Angry Men

One of my all-time favourtie films. I just love it.

Secret Snacker & Accomplished Pen Thief At:
Cylob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2004, 18:06   #4
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

the real one or the remake. I refuse to see remakes now. You'd think they'd just base more movies on good books, but no, they'd rather rip off movies. It's like me rewriting a Stephen King book.

Old 4th February 2004, 22:20   #5
marvinbarcelona
Major Dude

This is not a list of the best, but of the more thought provoking films you might want to watch. I've seen and thoroughly enjoyed them all. Some are very challenging films, but well worth it.

I can highly recommend;

Rififi,
Les Diaboliques
Russian Ark
The Seven Samurai........bollocks! watch them all, they are all great films.

Solyaris
Russian Ark
Les Diaboliques
The Big Sleep
Rabbot Proof Fence
Once Were Warriors
Rififi
The 400 Blows
The Seven Samurai
Elephant
Dogville

It's been said that I could start an arguement in an empty room.....I see no reason to disbelieve this.
marvinbarcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2004, 08:05   #6
K-Can

LOL i have heard of Solaris and Dogville...took a look in the vid store and got some weird looks (i live in a small community so not much gets pulle dthrough here). they sold outside of UK?
Old 5th February 2004, 20:49   #7
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Quote:
Originally posted by Cylob

12 Angry Men

One of my all-time favourtie films. I just love it.
The color remake or the original B&W?

After reading the play script on "12 Angry Men" in my English class, we're now watching the original, and it's got me interested...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2004, 07:39   #8
K-Can

Ok just watched "Rabit Proof Fence" (watching Clockwork Orange tomarow). I will say that it is a decent movie, not really a thinker i thought. It is a good thing for someone who doesnt know Ausie's history with the native people, but i found it kind of weak as to what has happened to their culture (Far far worse that what happened here in North America). Even so a good movie.
Old 6th February 2004, 09:57   #9
Spazz333
Major Dude

Hmm.. Stigmata and Enemy of the State were good. But I got a tie for the ones that fucked with my mind the most. Fallen and The Devil's Advocate.

A bit off topic but I link books and movies pretty close. Angel's and Demons by Dan Brown did a good job about making me think. Then again just the fact they worked Illuminati : New World Order by Steve Jackson Games into it gave it extra points.

Spazz333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2004, 17:14   #10
marvinbarcelona
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by K-Can
LOL i have heard of Solaris and Dogville...took a look in the vid store and got some weird looks (i live in a small community so not much gets pulle dthrough here). they sold outside of UK?
All of these films are available from you friendly on-line retailer. When you say "Solaris", we ain't talking the remake with Clooney here. We're talking "Solyaris", the original by Tarkovsky. Sooooo much better.

It's been said that I could start an arguement in an empty room.....I see no reason to disbelieve this.
Old 7th February 2004, 06:16   #11
K-Can

"When you say "Solaris", we ain't talking the remake with Clooney here. We're talking "Solyaris", the original by Tarkovsky. Sooooo much better."

OOO.. will be looking them up and whiping out the credit card tonight
Old 7th February 2004, 11:32   #12
OutlawJim
Confused
(Major Dude)

Send a message via ICQ to OutlawJim Send a message via AIM to OutlawJim Send a message via Yahoo to OutlawJim
i didnt get the one with Clooney (i've never seen the original) can someone explain it at all? it was weird

Nobby:I have ADD.... Germ:No shit, Nobby? Nobody would have ever guessed.
OutlawJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2004, 21:04   #13
marvinbarcelona
Major Dude

Like all complex stories, its actually fairly simple, you just have to look through it. Whatever is attacking, its never explained what is attacking, is using the thoughts, dreams, and memories of the crew to communicate with them. However, as most of the strong memories of the crew seem to be of dead loved ones, it eventually drives them mad. In space is the place they can communicate with the dead.

Are the "aliens" attacking, trying to communicate or trying to understand us? This is left to the individual viewer.

The original is 3 hours long and much, much better. Interestingly, Tarkovsky always said he hated Solyaris, but it became his best known work.

Old 8th February 2004, 02:09   #14
Raz
Forum King

28:06:42:12

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2004, 11:01   #15
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by MidnightViper88
The color remake or the original B&W?
The original B&W. I'm a 50's & 60's film buff.

Old 8th February 2004, 15:41   #16
marvinbarcelona
Major Dude

I'm more of a 40's and 50's fan myself. Can't beat Bogey!

Old 8th February 2004, 16:21   #17
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

Casablanca's okay..... I usually watch it when it's on. The African Queen is awsome.

Have you seen the 1936 film 'Things to Come'?

It predicted WWII very well.

Old 8th February 2004, 23:14   #18
marvinbarcelona
Major Dude

...and you move on to one of sub-genres of my favourite films; sci-fi & horror.

Things to Come is a great film, but, I do prefer Metropolis in this sub genre.

Old 9th February 2004, 13:24   #19
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

It's a shame WWII happened - the 40's were virtually devoid of sci-fi films.

But the 50's more than made up for it.

Don't get me started on classic sci-fi.

Old 9th February 2004, 14:13   #20
Mrs_Mia_Wallace
has a crush on Bilbo
(Forum Queen)

Location: Switzerland Posts: The starting points at a racetrack.
Most of those Fickle mentioned right in the beginning, I have seen all of them except The Manchurian Candidate and 12 angry men (I put them on my list of movies to see though) and they are all high up there on my favorite movies list , I just cannot stand movies explaining every little detail, it's much more fascinating to find out things for yourself...but there are apparently not many people who think that way since there are so many bad movies where each decision of the protagonist is talked over and over again...

I'd like to add American History X and Trainspotting, not because of the complex plot but because they really make you think about your life and others...

By the way, out of marvinbarcelona's list I only have seen 2 movies - dogville and elephant (the latter I didn't find much thought-rpovoking but I ranted about that movie in a nother thread already so I leave it at that, dogville was exceptionally good in my opinion)

I haven't seen solaris/solarys but I have read the original book by stanislaw Lem (I think it was him) and I heard the movie just messed up the book so I didn't go and see it, maybe I should and compare it to the book...

Mia
Mrs_Mia_Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2004, 15:06   #21
Raz
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by Mrs_Mia_Wallace
I'd like to add American History X and Trainspotting, not because of the complex plot but because they really make you think about your life and others...
Exellent choices. Good stuff.

Old 9th February 2004, 15:08   #22
zootm
Forum King

i find "natural born killers" quite a "thinky" film, actually. there's a lot more going on than you realise at first.

as for "fear and loathing" - yes. read the book, too... it's excellent.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2004, 07:22   #23
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

Robinson Crusoe on Mars....

A real thinker.

Old 10th February 2004, 10:58   #24
K-Can

ok this thread is literally breaking the bank. First i rent then i gotta buy...

Couple more i think were quite good.

What Dreams May Come
Instinct*
Backdraft
Boys Don't Cry-Dont remember ever thinking...but good flick.
Medicine Man
Old 10th February 2004, 18:58   #25
marvinbarcelona
Major Dude

*BUZ* Okay, I'm going to have to call in a judge here....What Dreams May Come? Backdraft? Medicine Man? Thinking films?

Old 11th February 2004, 04:01   #26
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by K-Can
ok this thread is literally breaking the bank. First i rent then i gotta buy...

Couple more i think were quite good.

What Dreams May Come
Instinct*
Backdraft
Boys Don't Cry-Dont remember ever thinking...but good flick.
Medicine Man
I disagree. I've never seen backdraft, but other than Backdraft, I hated the others. Backdraft was not a thinker.

Old 11th February 2004, 23:44   #27
Abarabusto

Location: A small cave on the planet siiikar with broadband access
Try "Donnie Darko". Great flick. Will make you think but I don't know about what, and you won't come to any conclusions when you are done. But that's what makes it great.
Abarabusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2004, 16:46   #28
>anny<

I can mention some movies I really like:
Pulp Fiction
Fight Club
One Flew Over Cuckoo's Nest
A Beautiful Mind
Magnolia
What Dreams May Come

and some others. Do you like European cinema? Personally, I admire Amelie and La Fille Sur Le Pont (The Girl On The Bridge).
>anny< is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2004, 20:50   #29
hgnis
Hobbit Humper
Forum King

My Concubine.
Temptress Moon.
The Last Emperor.
Ghandi.
JFK.
The Day The Earth Stood Still.
Big Fish
(Other stuff I cannot recall at this moment...)

I am so important I feel the need to let it be known like a liberal discovering the internets for the first time. Uh hur hur hur. I also wash myself with a rag on a stick.
Realitybites
<3
hgnis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2004, 21:19   #30
Seikan

Fight Club is awesome. In fact one of my college professors regularly sited Fight Club during our lectures.

Another movie, maybe not a "thinker" but more of a "mover" if Life Is Beautiful.

Also, though not many people liked it, I liked Masked And Anonymous.
Seikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2004, 20:12   #31
mark
Forum King

6th sense
mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2004, 05:25   #32
Raz
Forum King

You sicken me.

Old 4th March 2004, 21:42   #33
Doktor
Forum Doctor
(Senior Member)

Send a message via ICQ to Doktor
My sig says enough!
Plus:

Life is beautiful
Kolya
Fight club
Run Lola Run / Lola rennt - a german one
Memento
Space Odyssey 2001

How do they call the Big Mac? Big Mac's a Big Mac, but they call it Le Big Mac! LE BIG MAC?!

Vincent & Jules in Pulp Fiction
Doktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2004, 18:18   #34
meerak

Send a message via AIM to meerak Send a message via Yahoo to meerak
Matrix series makes you think
meerak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2004, 23:35   #35
Raz
Forum King

Except for the fact that it's a tired plagiarised concept shoved into piss poor cheesy digital style films with fight scenes that look like they're from one of those parodies of old kung fu movies.

Old 18th March 2004, 23:32   #36
yxs

Mulholland Drive
yxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2004, 01:08   #37
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally posted by Raz
Except for the fact that it's a tired plagiarised concept shoved into piss poor cheesy digital style films with fight scenes that look like they're from one of those parodies of old kung fu movies.
*yawn*
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2004, 03:13   #38
White Raven
Little Winged One

I saw 'Rabbit-Proof Fence' last year in my Humanities Class. I thought it was quite a good movie.

I can't really say that a lot of movies that I've seen made me think a whole lot about them. Usually I just observe and understand and develop a further understanding as the movie goes on. Donnie Darko was a pretty neat film, though it didn't make me "think."

I'll have to rent the Manchurian Candidate, it sounds good.

I don't like remakes as a general rule, too.

just as feathery as ever | portfolio | a poignant quote
White Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2004, 15:04   #39
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by Raz
Thanks for shutting him down, simply because Rewatching the last matrix movie is what set me off on actual thinking movies to begin with. Do people ever read the post that designates the thread? Or do they just go by the title and post? gah. People.

Old 25th March 2004, 23:28   #40
godoncrack
Forum King

not an ACTUAL movie
How to operate your brain
was a nice brain fuck
and lets not forget about kill bill, although it was the music that made it

Monster
American History X