Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Movies and Television

Old 27th April 2000, 04:26   #1
justin
Moderator Alumni

In case you are wondering what this is, it was a stupid idea that originated a long long long long time ago, before the sea before the snow. It was pretty much cannabalized by Ask Steeves, I mean, Ask The Steves. But really what it is is a forum for you to ask questions and have me answer them. But damn them Steves. But I should hopefully answer a few a day, unlike the Steves' throughput of only a few a week. So if you have a good question for me, the (as Tom once put it) "king dick", reply to this message.

Peace,

Justin
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2000, 10:49   #2
MamiyaOtaru
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to MamiyaOtaru Send a message via AIM to MamiyaOtaru Send a message via Yahoo to MamiyaOtaru
I asked the Steves this a while back, who knows maybe they'll answer yet. Right. I submitted a skin a while back that I spent days on. All skinnned, avs, windowshade, blah blah, with awesome equalizer etc. BUT, I used the volume and balance button from the original Winamp cause it went well with the pic I used. According to likely to get deleted if "3) A skin where you 'borrowed' components from a skin you didn't create." would it have been deleted (it never showed)? That was all I used from the original. If I do HAVE to change it, how much is minimum? I need a grey raised rectangle, how much room for change is there? Last question, how long does it take, on average, for a skin to be posted? (looking for some number of days, weeks, whatever) Yeah, this was long, but its the only one so far so.. thanks for reading it
MamiyaOtaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2000, 09:12   #3
Kevin
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Kevin
Why can't we start topics here? Anyways, congrat's Justin! I saw an article about You and Winamp in the TIME book for 1999... $70 million? I bet Mom is proud
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2000, 20:02   #4
Gui

Hi, no sound cards, i plug my hearphones directly on the cd.
i can listen to cds no problem,

is it possible to play mp3's via the cd-rom and the hearphones ?

if yes how ?
Gui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2000, 00:36   #5
mtdew

AVS. Really dig it. However I would dig it more if I could get a decent framerate in fullwindow. I average about 10fps regardless of windowsize and other settings. Tried the video driver tweaks to no avail. I got one of those fancy DeForce 256 cards so I would asume the card has enough power. System is PII450 with 384mg ram. Tried it on a 200mhz with a 3dfx banshee and it rocked on framerate. My question is; is AVS 'optimized' towards a 3dfx chipset and is there anyway to get a decent frame rate on the GeForce256? Thanks for winamp, it gives my meager life meaning.

mtdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2000, 09:35   #6
Some1
Forum King

Okay, two questions:

1. I'm sure you probably get this one a lot, and I'm sorry if you're tired of hearing it, but when will LQT/AAC/Liquid Audio support be OFFICIALLY implemented in Winamp? The only plug-ins currently out are buggy and don't support the LQT info tags...it would be nice to know that you guys are working to make sure that winamp will alwasy support the current audio compression technology.

2. What is your opinion on all the lawsuits that are going on (ie RIAA vs. my.mp3.com, RIAA vs. Napster, etc.). Do you feel that the RIAA's actions are justified, or do you think that the industry is corrupt and they deserve what they are getting?
Some1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th April 2000, 09:44   #7
Some1
Forum King

Some answers...

Gui: There's no way to make Winamp (or any other Digital Audio player)play music through that little headphone jack on your CD-ROM drive...that jack was intended only for use with the CD drive, and it's the only way it'll work. If you want to listen to music through Winamp, you'll need to get a sound card. I'd recommend a Sound Blaster Live Platinum if you have the money to blow.

MamiyaOtaru: To the best of my knowledge, that rule only applies to stealing parts from other people's skins, and not to "stealing" parts from the basic Winamp skin. For example, if someone submits a skin without a skin for the playlist, they can still get their skin into the database (go ahead and look, there are a lot of incomplete skins in there). They just don't want you ripping off another person's home-made skin as your own. My guess as to why it's taking so long is that Winamp.com receives tons of new skin submissions every day, and it takes them a while to reveiw and then add them to the database.

Later,
Some1.
Old 30th April 2000, 12:05   #8
steve
Intolerant Ex-Administrator

Send a message via AIM to steve
Please kids, NO TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS HERE. THESE ARE JUST QUESTIONS ABOUT JUSTIN OR SOMETHING OF THAT NATURE... HE DOESN'T HAVE TIME TO ANSWER EVERY QUESTION ABOUT EVERY SINGLE PERSON WHO DOWNLOADED WINAMP. THANKS.

-steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2000, 08:50   #9
Some1
Forum King

wow...who died and made you admin??? The description of this forum simply says:
quote:
Justin's Yadda Yadda -- ask your (good) questions here

It doesn't say ask Justin questions about himself..and Justin even says "But really what it is is a forum for you to ask questions and have me answer them." He doesn't say "ask me about myself," and seems to be saying that technical questions are okay (that's what the "Steves" are for, right?). Why don't you go and admin some of the more active forums, and let justin tell us which types of questions are okay, and which ones aren't?
Old 2nd May 2000, 01:35   #10
Brad the Impaler

Send a message via ICQ to Brad the Impaler
OK, King Justin... something totally non-NullSoft. Are you still stylin' in your Quattro wagons? I remember the pix of the one that got skrunched, and I offered you my spare alternator once in a blue moon ago.

So, have you considered what kind of vehicular assult you're gonna do in El-Lay? Or are you gonna come back here and tear up some ecology

Happy May Day to you and all the staff
Brad the Impaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2000, 22:10   #11
justin
Moderator Alumni

quote:
Originally posted by MamiyaOtaru:
I asked the Steves this a while back, who knows maybe they'll answer yet. Right. I submitted a skin a while back that I spent days on. All skinnned, avs, windowshade, blah blah, with awesome equalizer etc. BUT, I used the volume and balance button from the original Winamp cause it went well with the pic I used. According to likely to get deleted if "3) A skin where you 'borrowed' components from a skin you didn't create." would it have been deleted (it never showed)? That was all I used from the original. If I do HAVE to change it, how much is minimum? I need a grey raised rectangle, how much room for change is there? Last question, how long does it take, on average, for a skin to be posted? (looking for some number of days, weeks, whatever) Yeah, this was long, but its the only one so far so.. thanks for reading it

Nah, we just mean if you borrow components from other skins.. if you use peices from the base skin, that's fine (i.e. suppose you just want to change the titlebar.. there's nothing wrong with that). We just wanted to prevent people from taking one skin that someone spent weeks working on and changing it a little and calling it their own.

As for your skin, I don't know why it hasn't been published yet. Everything is backed up, but we do have a lot of people going through them, so it should be published soon (I hope).

-Justin
Old 2nd May 2000, 22:11   #12
justin
Moderator Alumni

quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
Why can't we start topics here? Anyways, congrat's Justin! I saw an article about You and Winamp in the TIME book for 1999... $70 million? I bet Mom is proud

Uh I dunno. It's all stupid anyway. Maybe
we should be able to. Anyway.

-Justin
Old 2nd May 2000, 22:12   #13
justin
Moderator Alumni

quote:
Originally posted by Gui:
Hi, no sound cards, i plug my hearphones directly on the cd.
i can listen to cds no problem,

is it possible to play mp3's via the cd-rom and the hearphones ?

if yes how ?

If you have a CD burner, you could write your
MP3s to WAV, burn them to CD, and play them with your CD player.

-J
Old 2nd May 2000, 22:13   #14
justin
Moderator Alumni

quote:
Originally posted by mtdew:
AVS. Really dig it. However I would dig it more if I could get a decent framerate in fullwindow. I average about 10fps regardless of windowsize and other settings. Tried the video driver tweaks to no avail. I got one of those fancy DeForce 256 cards so I would asume the card has enough power. System is PII450 with 384mg ram. Tried it on a 200mhz with a 3dfx banshee and it rocked on framerate. My question is; is AVS 'optimized' towards a 3dfx chipset and is there anyway to get a decent frame rate on the GeForce256? Thanks for winamp, it gives my meager life meaning.

Try turning up the performance in the display settings panel of AVS. Turn of refresh waiting, turn it to near the highest framerate. Pixel doubling can help, too. Other than that, AVS is just very intensive. It's not very optimized towards one chipset or another, it's just simple 32bpp framebuffer rendering, so good 2D performance is pretty much what you're after for it. We're thinking about making it do 8bpp modes too, for higher framerates (ala Geiss/G-force,etc)

-J
Old 2nd May 2000, 22:16   #15
justin
Moderator Alumni

quote:
Originally posted by Some1:
Okay, two questions:

1. I'm sure you probably get this one a lot, and I'm sorry if you're tired of hearing it, but when will LQT/AAC/Liquid Audio support be OFFICIALLY implemented in Winamp? The only plug-ins currently out are buggy and don't support the LQT info tags...it would be nice to know that you guys are working to make sure that winamp will alwasy support the current audio compression technology.

2. What is your opinion on all the lawsuits that are going on (ie RIAA vs. my.mp3.com, RIAA vs. Napster, etc.). Do you feel that the RIAA's actions are justified, or do you think that the industry is corrupt and they deserve what they are getting?

1. It's on the way. I don't really have any timeframe I can give, though.

2. I think it's all pretty amusing.. you have companies trying to give the consumers what they want (music on their computers) in different ways (completely free (and stolen), free when you have the CD, etc)... and the recording industry which is scared shitless of hurting their CD sales. I don't think it's a result of the industry being corrupt, they're just scared. Probably some (but definately not all) of the RIAA's actions are justified. But mostly they're just running around with their heads cut off trying to figure out where to go.

That's my 30 second view.

-J

Old 2nd May 2000, 22:20   #16
justin
Moderator Alumni

quote:
Originally posted by Brad the Impaler:
OK, King Justin... something totally non-NullSoft. Are you still stylin' in your Quattro wagons? I remember the pix of the one that got skrunched, and I offered you my spare alternator once in a blue moon ago.

So, have you considered what kind of vehicular assult you're gonna do in El-Lay? Or are you gonna come back here and tear up some ecology

Happy May Day to you and all the staff

Yeah, I be tearing that shit up in my Audis. I saw a pimp ass RS4 when I was in France, and I was like "yo, bitch, you best be riding with me". But mostly I be cruising in my 2000 S4, which is so dope that all the girlies wanna get wit' my pimp ass. Sometimes for gettin' that last bit of badness I take my rx-7 out on the freeway and make owners of fresh new corvettes wonder where they're fat money went, yo.

Anyhow, I best be gettin' my ass to a meeting, bitch. See ya.

-Justin
Old 3rd May 2000, 23:45   #17
piranha

Send a message via ICQ to piranha
Question: I think this pertains to you, correct me if I'm wrong. A long time ago, I think on Nullsoft's old web page, you (or for that matter some other Winamp developer, but I think it was you) mentioned that your brother was working on some game... can't remember the name, but the guy seem pretty enthused about his neat little flamethrower. Has it ever been released? Where can I get more info on it?
piranha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2000, 04:06   #18
Some1
Forum King

Justin: Have you ever heard of the "mpg123" plug-in for Winamp? It functions as a replacement for the default in_mp3.dll and fixes an apparent "glitch" in the Winamp/Nitrane decoder. I've tried it myself, and it DOES sound better than the default decoder. It's based off of the LAME codec (yours is based off of Fraunhofer's, right?), and produces really incredible sound. Any plans of switching to this codec/fixing the "glitch" in the default in_mp3.dll?

Codec website: http://www.geocities.co.jp/Technopol...in_mpg123.html

Download of version 1.10 beta 2 of the plugin: http://members.xoom.com/mp3freeware2...g123_110b2.zip

Thread where the new plug-in is discussed: http://forum.napster.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002232.html
Old 4th May 2000, 04:13   #19
Some1
Forum King

Oops...replace the word "Codec" with "Plug-in" in my previous post.
Old 4th May 2000, 07:16   #20
Record

Send a message via AIM to Record
Justin -

Do you think Winamp will ever fully support IDEv2, complete with the ability to create IDEv2 tags, and display pictures embeded in mp3s? If so, when? If not, why? Thanks!
Record is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2000, 08:06   #21
justin
Moderator Alumni

quote:
Originally posted by piranha:
Question: I think this pertains to you, correct me if I'm wrong. A long time ago, I think on Nullsoft's old web page, you (or for that matter some other Winamp developer, but I think it was you) mentioned that your brother was working on some game... can't remember the name, but the guy seem pretty enthused about his neat little flamethrower. Has it ever been released? Where can I get more info on it?

It never really went anywhere, other than being a really cool, fun, playable technology demo. I'll see if I can get him to put it online somewhere... Stay tuned.

-Justin
Old 4th May 2000, 08:08   #22
justin
Moderator Alumni

quote:
Originally posted by Some1:
Justin: Have you ever heard of the "mpg123" plug-in for Winamp? It functions as a replacement for the default in_mp3.dll and fixes an apparent "glitch" in the Winamp/Nitrane decoder. I've tried it myself, and it DOES sound better than the default decoder. It's based off of the LAME codec (yours is based off of Fraunhofer's, right?), and produces really incredible sound. Any plans of switching to this codec/fixing the "glitch" in the default in_mp3.dll?

Codec website: http://www.geocities.co.jp/Technopol...in_mpg123.html

Download of version 1.10 beta 2 of the plugin: http://members.xoom.com/mp3freeware2...g123_110b2.zip

Thread where the new plug-in is discussed: http://forum.napster.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002232.html

the mpg123 plug-in actually uses mpg123, not LAME (lame is a patch for encoding, not decoding). The bugs in Nitrane will probably
be fixed in the next release.

-Justin
Old 4th May 2000, 08:09   #23
justin
Moderator Alumni

quote:
Originally posted by Record:
Justin -

Do you think Winamp will ever fully support IDEv2, complete with the ability to create IDEv2 tags, and display pictures embeded in mp3s? If so, when? If not, why? Thanks!

Coming in v3. In development now. In theatres soon.

Old 4th May 2000, 08:53   #24
Some1
Forum King

quote:
the mpg123 plug-in actually uses mpg123, not LAME (lame is a patch for encoding, not decoding).

Well, if you want to get technical, then the plug-in is based off of Mpglib, which was developed/tested by the makers of LAME, and is no longer a part of mpg123...though loom who I'm trying to argue with, I'd better shut up before I get burned.

Anyways, one last question, you didn't seem very surprised to hear about the problems with the Nitrane decoder...how long have you known that the bugs have existed?
Old 4th May 2000, 19:44   #25
AgentVoodoo

ok, i can't figure out where you hid it.
the damn thing used to be at the www.nullsoft.com site, but it must'a just got up and walked away. i know, none of you did it. you would never do anything to upset me or leave me feeling unloved. just give me the files i need and it'll be like none of this ever happened. what? you know what files. don't be stupid. the experimental player that i've been using for so long and i don't even remember it's name. i could drag stuff around and change colors and and and all kinds of cool stuff. remember that time when i got drunk and i used the tecra as a snowboard..... i don't either, but now i don't have the tecra or the software that was on it. please help me replace it. (the software i mean, although i could use a new laptop) thanks
AgentVoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2000, 06:41   #26
justin
Moderator Alumni

quote:
Originally posted by AgentVoodoo:
ok, i can't figure out where you hid it.
the damn thing used to be at the www.nullsoft.com site, but it must'a just got up and walked away. i know, none of you did it. you would never do anything to upset me or leave me feeling unloved. just give me the files i need and it'll be like none of this ever happened. what? you know what files. don't be stupid. the experimental player that i've been using for so long and i don't even remember it's name. i could drag stuff around and change colors and and and all kinds of cool stuff. remember that time when i got drunk and i used the tecra as a snowboard..... i don't either, but now i don't have the tecra or the software that was on it. please help me replace it. (the software i mean, although i could use a new laptop) thanks

Check out the aO general purpose plug-in in the plug-in section of winamp.com
Old 5th May 2000, 15:35   #27
Christian Becker

Hey Justin, tell something about Winamp 3 and your future perspectives, and what about that Winamp locker?

-Chris
Christian Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2000, 19:24   #28
mudlust

Regarding the AVS2 plug-in, I am unable to get any visualization in the small AVS window. I can see the frame count in the editor window, but nothing happens in the AVS window. When I make the AVS window full-sceen, everything seems to work beautifully. Anyway, how can I fix this??
mudlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2000, 05:02   #29
SlayerOfKings

Justin: Just wondering if there are any plans to upgrade IN_CDDA to support CDDB2, and if so, when.

Cheers
SlayerOfKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2000, 17:58   #30
Antony

Send a message via ICQ to Antony
One thing that seems to have disappeared from the WinAmp site is the 'finger updates'. What happened to them? I used to love reading them and keeping up-to-date on the latest "behind the scenes" news on WinAmp development and it's creators..

It's something I miss. Is it still here, somewhere, buried among 3 billion links and I'm just not seeing it? Or was it removed?
Antony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2000, 20:32   #31
Antony

Send a message via ICQ to Antony
Oh. Typical. A few hours after I'd found the forum and posted it here, I look back on the 'The Team' page and the finger updates are back. Just my bloody luck.
Antony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2000, 12:45   #32
AaronHorrocks

Send a message via ICQ to AaronHorrocks
I've followed Winamp over the years, and what have I seen that stays the same?

http://forums.winamp.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000018.html

The same glitch since the first released version, has never been fixed!
AaronHorrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2000, 12:28   #33
noah_T

Back in the early days of winamp, and the winamp website, I read a little peice of text about certain members of the WinAmp staff going clubbing on Halloween and hoping into a taxi with two girls, one of which was dressed like a cat...
the pictures were great!
This list of events was posted on the WinAmp website about a year ago or so.
Does this document still exist somewhere on the site?
noah_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2000, 06:39   #34
Record

Send a message via AIM to Record
Justin, man, you guys need to get some girls working for Winamp. No offence, but nobody wants to see your red hair goteed self - I'm much rather see Chasey Lain or Anna Kournikova featured with Winamp than a damn llama.

Record is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2000, 02:20   #35
Rygir

Send a message via ICQ to Rygir
are the old icons in winamp ever goin' to be reused, since version 2 i believe, the massive icon list was updated, and that's too bad, the old ones were cool.

Will it ever be possible to register MP3's alone? (some MPx files are images, or movies)
and possibly add more extensions, without plugins? (MPA was an extension for MPeg1)

It would also be nice if the MP3's had a different icon from the other file types (now, sorting by filetype doesn't help a lot in a dir where MOD's, waves and MP3's are listed, since it's all the same registered filetype)
Rygir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2000, 05:05   #36
DewDude

Send a message via ICQ to DewDude Send a message via AIM to DewDude
>Will it ever be possible to register MP3's >alone? (some MPx files are images, or >movies)
>and possibly add more extensions, without >plugins? (MPA was an extension for MPeg1)

This is possible, you can turn off many of the extensions in Winamp by going to preferences|File Types and turning them off. As for adding file types, you can have Windows add them into it's internal support by going to View|Folder Options and clicking the
File Types tab, you can add a file type. Tell it the extension. And on "Actions" select new, type in a name in the Action like "Play" and paste this into the "Program" box:
"C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINAMP\WINAMP.EXE" "%1"

That will play the file. If you look at Winamp File Type in that list, you can get the other commands, or just read the SDK on the commands you can feed to the EXE.

-J

DewDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2000, 00:00   #37
ojms

quote:
Originally posted by DewDude:
>Will it ever be possible to register MP3's >alone? (some MPx files are images, or >movies)
>and possibly add more extensions, without >plugins? (MPA was an extension for MPeg1)

This is possible, you can turn off many of the extensions in Winamp by going to preferences|File Types and turning them off. As for adding file types, you can have Windows add them into it's internal support by going to View|Folder Options and clicking the
File Types tab, you can add a file type. Tell it the extension. And on "Actions" select new, type in a name in the Action like "Play" and paste this into the "Program" box:
"C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINAMP\WINAMP.EXE" "%1"

That will play the file. If you look at Winamp File Type in that list, you can get the other commands, or just read the SDK on the commands you can feed to the EXE.

-J

Yeah get some fit birds working for nullsoft!!
ojms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2000, 04:14   #38
Rygir

Ok, I know you can unselect some of the file types. But that's not exactly what I meant;

I had an older version (1.73?) that registered file types differently :
It registered the MPegs and the other formats in a different entry, allowing you to choose a different icon for Mpegs and other sound files (its only cosmetic, but usefull when you have lotsa files in one dir, and you have to sort e'm out)
Old 11th May 2000, 04:18   #39
Rygir

This is probably a stupid question, but what does SDK mean?
Old 11th May 2000, 06:52   #40
Rage

Hello. Now is it just my senility? or do I remember a DDE plugin for winamp?
I have been searching low and lower for this thing and it's giving me a ulcer.

any help would be appreciated..
Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Movies and Television