Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Old 12th August 2013, 21:47   #1
-Px-

Problem deleting embedded cover art (flac) + undesired file locking (various formats)

Winamp 5.65 (build 3438)/5.64
Clean install, no 3rd-party skins or plugins
Language Pack: English
Skin: Winamp Modern skin

OS: Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit)/Windows 7 Enterprise (32-bit)
Locale: Ukraininan
CPU: AMD Phenom X6 1075T/ Intel Core i7 3520M
Memory: 12 GB RAM
Graphics: AMD Radeon HD 6950/AMD Radeon HD 7570M
Sound: Creative SB X-Fi
DirectX 11

Problem:
Winamp does not delete embedded cover from flac files, when you press Delete on Artwork tab art does disappear, but after reopening it is still there. Moreover, on pressing Delete on embedded cover an external cover from same folder deletes while it must stay.

Method of Reproduction:
1. Take flac with embedded cover (if you don't have one, create it with GoldWave, for example)
2. Go to File Info - Artwork, observe origin:ebmedded
3. Press Delete, cover disappears, press Ok and reopen File Info - Artwork - cover still there
4. Put cover.jpg file in same folder as test file, repeat 2-3, observe as external file became deleted.
-Px- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2013, 03:17   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Px- View Post
Problem:
Winamp does not delete embedded cover from flac files, when you press Delete on Artwork tab art does disappear, but after reopening it is still there. Moreover, on pressing Delete on embedded cover an external cover from same folder deletes while it must stay.
I can replicate the first part of this problem. The embedded artwork is removed when clicking "Delete", but returns when clicking "OK" to close the Alt+3 editor.

Furthermore, when I used thinktink's plug-in to replace the artwork, it appears to work. But after clicking "OK", the original artwork is saved in the file.

I don't use folder art, so did not try to confirm that part of the issue.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 17:20   #3
-Px-

Same systems, Winamp Modern skin, when I delete currently playing file from playlist previous one became highlighted as if it is playing now.

Also, there is a problem when Winamp doesn't close handle to folder (and it can't be deleted till Winamp close) when I open file properties via Alt+3, but I don't have solid steps to reproduce for now...
Old 14th August 2013, 18:33   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Same systems, Winamp Modern skin, when I delete currently playing file from playlist previous one became highlighted as if it is playing now.
This is normal behavior for Winamp. When a file in focus is removed, the focus moves to the previous file as opposed to the next file in the listing.

Quote:
Also, there is a problem when Winamp doesn't close handle to folder (and it can't be deleted till Winamp close) when I open file properties via Alt+3, but I don't have solid steps to reproduce for now...
If one or more files within a folder are opened by any app or process, the folder containing these files can not be deleted until they are closed. However, the unopened files in the folder are deleted. Check to see if the file is opened by something else at the same time (even another part of Winamp).

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 14th August 2013, 22:08   #5
-Px-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
This is normal behavior for Winamp. When a file in focus is removed, the focus moves to the previous file as opposed to the next file in the listing.
You're confusing selection focus with currently playing highlight, I'm talking about second, before it disappears after currently played file deletion from playlist, now it stays and this is bug

Quote:
If one or more files within a folder are opened by any app or process, the folder containing these files can not be deleted until they are closed. However, the unopened files in the folder are deleted. Check to see if the file is opened by something else at the same time (even another part of Winamp).
I explicitly defined what is left
Let's look at first picture, I have one currently opened file (red) and one "file properties" file (green)

Now I closing file properties dialog, opening it for other file, close it, but Winamp still holding opened file handles to those dirs
Old 14th August 2013, 22:23   #6
DrO

it is expected that the last file which an input plug-in had to work on will be locked. it's a side-effect of how the plug-in system works (and has worked for most of Winamp's existence). so not technically a bug but is an undesired behaviour in some cases - will have to have a think about what can be done to change it whilst maintaining the caching of the file tag access which is done in conjunction with it.

and the other issue (embedded flac artwork removal failing) has been noted as something to be checked, just hasn't been the time to determine the cause of it (though it has been internally replicated).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2013, 22:48   #7
-Px-

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
it is expected that the last file which an input plug-in had to work on will be locked. it's a side-effect of how the plug-in system works (and has worked for most of Winamp's existence). so not technically a bug but is an undesired behaviour in some cases - will have to have a think about what can be done to change it whilst maintaining the caching of the file tag access which is done in conjunction with it.
But this was not present in previous versions+if I call file info on 10 files in separate folders in row all 10 became locked (10 folders, not 10 files in them, opened in test case files can be deleted just fine)
Old 14th August 2013, 22:56   #8
DrO

i've only ever seen single file locking going on though it's possible for multiple locking if looking at different file types e.g. flac, mp3, mp4, etc. there were changes with in_flac.dll but that did not relate to the fundamental cache/locking of the file when working on it's tags so in that respect, 5.64/5.65 should be the same as prior 5.6x releases.

so maybe there is something else going on that i'm not seeing but when trying to fix issues, i can only at the moment work against the limited details i have seen and from what i can a) see in the source code and b) replicate myself and so far, there's no additional locking going on that i can replicate. does process explorer verify that it is definitely Winamp at fault and that it is keep the multiple handles open on the files ?

however locking multiple instances of the same type (as i think you're implying but need confirmation) is not right and so far i've not been able to replicate the issue and so would now need to see an info report -> http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins
Old 14th August 2013, 23:07   #9
-Px-

Okay, I'll try to make proper report and regression testing to find when problem first appeared on weekend...
Old 14th August 2013, 23:14   #10
DrO

all i need is specific and consistent steps to replicate it against the current release which can be made on other machines than just specific to your setup (it's just too painful trying to go back to v5.63 and earlier clients due to the age of them in relation to the current code base).
Old 15th August 2013, 00:39   #11
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi -Px-,

Thanks for the screenshots. They help explain things. I'm also not able to replicate your issue. I'm using version 15.40 of Process Explorer, set to update every .5 seconds. I'm also using the latest Winamp beta instead of the version you have, but they are supposed to be the same in this area.

When I play a mix of mp3 and flac files, the mp3s don't even show up and only the flac file that is playing is listed. As I change from 1 flac to another, the previous one goes away and the current one takes it place. As for the mp3s, I'm loading the entire file into RAM before Winamp plays it (an in_mp3.dll configuration option). I guess that happens faster than Process Explorer can detect the mp3s loading.

When I open one of the non-playing files of either type in the Alt+3 editor, neither type shows up in Process Explorer. Maybe because I'm not trying to change any of the tags or the opening and closing (to read the metadata) happens faster than can be detected.

So, I think something else (a 3rd party plug-in?) is holding these files open on your system. Maybe the support plug-in for your ASIO device. See if you can replicate things using only official Nullsoft software components.

The Winamp Info Tool report will place an " * " next to official plug-ins. Winamp also now has a "safe mode" that will only let official components load. Look in General Preferences and select the header for the Plug-ins section. There is a button on the lower right side to restart in safe mode.

EDIT:
When I open either file type in the Alt+3 editor, change a tag (including artwork) and save the files, they still do not show up in Process Explorer among the files associated with the Winamp process.

Last edited by Aminifu; 15th August 2013 at 03:05.
Old 16th August 2013, 23:19   #12
DrO

Quote:
and the other issue (embedded flac artwork removal failing) has been noted as something to be checked, just hasn't been the time to determine the cause of it (though it has been internally replicated).
seems it was a known issue in the code (based on a comment left in it) and technically the artwork is correctly removed when the delete action is pressed, the problem is a different copy of the metadata information (which deals with updates from the rest of the dialog) is then re-written which happens to contain the artwork which was removed.

will have to have a work through the flow of things in the in_flac.dll plug-in to see what can be done to resolve it without breaking anything in the process (i don't expect a fix for this to be included with the next 5.7beta build which is planned for next week).

[edit]
i need to do a bit more testing but seem to have a solution which doesn't appear to break anything else that i can tell at the moment.
Old 17th August 2013, 20:57   #13
-Px-

Quote:
all i need is specific and consistent steps to replicate it against the current release which can be made on other machines than just specific to your setup (it's just too painful trying to go back to v5.63 and earlier clients due to the age of them in relation to the current code base).
So, after spending a half of an hour, I reliably reproduce problem on clean installation of Winamp without any additional plugins, here are steps:
1) Create test setup, root folder Test with two subfolders 1 and 2, put in each of those one audio file (I have tested with mp3 and flac) and folder.jpg file.
2) Add audio files to Winamp playlist, start playing first, open file properties for second, close it, stop playing first, but do not close Winamp.
3) Go to Test folder, delete subfolder 2 with Shift+Del, it looks like it deleted properly, now go out from Test folder and try to delete it (no matter, with Del or Shift+Del), you will receive message "Folder in use" pointing to Test folder.
Old 18th August 2013, 19:40   #14
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi -Px-,

I assume the artwork in subfolder 1 is still being read by Winamp (and would be displayed if using a view that displays art). If so then a file in that folder is in use, preventing the deletion of it's parent folder.

What happens if you switch to a 3rd song that is not in either of the subfolders?

Old 18th August 2013, 19:43   #15
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
[edit]
i need to do a bit more testing but seem to have a solution which doesn't appear to break anything else that i can tell at the moment.
Does this mean a fix might make the next beta after all?

Old 18th August 2013, 23:14   #16
-Px-

Quote:
Hi -Px-,

I assume the artwork in subfolder 1 is still being read by Winamp (and would be displayed if using a view that displays art).
Nope, you wrong, subfolder 1 deletes just fine

Quote:
What happens if you switch to a 3rd song that is not in either of the subfolders?
Nothing changes, you can check it by yourself
Old 19th August 2013, 14:07   #17
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Nothing changes, you can check it by yourself
You have convinced me. Something unexpected is going on here! Good catch.

Old 21st August 2013, 10:42   #18
DrO

Quote:
Does this mean a fix might make the next beta after all?
possibly
Old 22nd August 2013, 14:53   #19
DrO

there's a new labs build up now which has the fix for the deletion issue present -> http://www.winamp.com/labs/pc
Old 22nd August 2013, 15:50   #20
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi,

I can confirm that embedded art in flac files can now be deleted by v5.7.3444. But the ability of thinktink's plug-in to embed art in flac files no longer works. Embedding art to flacs works with 3rd party apps, so an immediate fix is not needed.

Old 22nd August 2013, 16:04   #21
DrO

meh, had a feeling i'd break something in the process. oh well, back to the drawing board...
Old 23rd August 2013, 19:12   #22
-Px-

I've tested labs build, problem with deleting artwork is gone, two others (locking dir on viewing file properties and incorrect highlighting as currently played) still present...
Old 23rd August 2013, 19:50   #23
DrO

Quote:
incorrect highlighting as currently played
that is completely expected (even if undesired) as it's effectively in an unknown state. maybe it shouldn't highlight anything in that scenario but it's staying as it is for the time being (as deleting what's currently playing is a bit of a weird situation to be in anyway).

and i never said i'd done anything towards the file locking issue (which still i've no way of replicating the issue).
Old 23rd August 2013, 20:34   #24
-Px-

Quote:
that is completely expected (even if undesired) as it's effectively in an unknown state. maybe it shouldn't highlight anything in that scenario
Right, not highlight anything, as it was before

Quote:
and i never said i'd done anything towards the file locking issue (which still i've no way of replicating the issue).
Steps from comment #13 working fine for you?
Old 24th August 2013, 12:47   #25
-Px-

Btw, if currently played track is first track, on its deletion new first track became highlighted (we know from where it coming from, right? )
Old 24th August 2013, 13:06   #26
DrO

i've not been able to replicate the issue from your steps in post #13.

there have not been direct changes to how the highlighting of the items works - unless it stems from fixing how things work when removing the playing item and it setting a valid track to play next (which is then possibly going to cause the highlighting to be applied to something else).

though really, when you remove what's playing, you're setting Winamp into an invalid state and what the UI display is going to be at fault however you view it. simple option is don't remove what's playing from the playlist editor until it's finished player. i may look into changes to lessen the UI mis-match, but it's extremely low on what i'd consider to work on.
Old 24th August 2013, 14:58   #27
-Px-

Quote:
i've not been able to replicate the issue from your steps in post #13.
I can reproduce this reliably on three my PCs and Aminifu was able reproduce too, but if you can't, well, then I just go back to 5.63 where all things working correctly and disable update notification.
Old 24th August 2013, 15:08   #28
DrO

reverting back to v5.63 is not a solution but do whatever as i don't know why i bother updating the desktop client at times - i've only tried on my dev machine, i haven't had a chance to try on a different machine to see if that replicates the issue or not - so i haven't finished all of the testing needed, but if you're going back to v5.63 then there's no point in giving up more of my weekend to try to look into the issue (which suits me).
Old 24th August 2013, 15:27   #29
-Px-

Quote:
reverting back to v5.63 is not a solution
Do I have other choice? Changing 10+ years habits without any gain is not
Old 24th August 2013, 16:33   #30
DrO

just do whatever the hell you want.
Old 25th August 2013, 10:46   #31
-Px-

Turning away from founded bugs is not a good choice, and this is not mine problem, but yours, you may save some time by not fixing it now, but you will waste time every time some other person find it, report and you will need to check what is behind it.
But - "just do whatever the hell you want."©
Old 25th August 2013, 13:19   #32
DrO

don't you think i know that already? ofcourse i want to see the issue fixed but i cannot fix something i cannot replicate and especially when i've a load of formal work that needs to be done in addition to giving up a lot of my free time to try to fix things which take a lot of time for little reward - hence the frustration of my post.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports