Old 19th January 2001, 20:49   #1
-DON3k-

Sorry if this has been answered and I didn't notice.

As part of my personal web page, I take sound files from video and place them as 8-bit 11khz mono sound file links. If you click them, then you can hear the associated sound to match the text shown on the screen.

My site - http://www.picturethisquote.com/

However, I've noticed for quite a while that on my PC, and any others I've tried it on, WinAmp will sometimes cut the last second, or half-second off of the audio clip. If you play the same WAV file in any other media player, the full clip will play without the end being dropped.

I've submitted this as a possible bug a couple of revisions ago, but as of the last couple of WinAmp releases, it's still there.

If you would like to test it out and see, DL this small audio file and see if on your PC the end second of audio is dropped in WinAmp. Then try it in Media Player or whatever and see if it plays correctly. It is a small 66k file.

WinAmp shows it as 88kbps, 11khz Mono

http://www.recoind.com/don3k/winamp.wav

The final word heard should be "Industry", but WinAmp plays it as "Indus..."

These files are created in GoldWave.

Any info would be appreciated.

DON3k
-DON3k- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2001, 19:39   #2
-DON3k-

Anyone?

So, has anyone tried playing the sample listed in my message? Did you have the same problem, or did it play the full sample without cutting out the last half-second?

Any info would be appreciated.

DON3k

Old 22nd January 2001, 01:41   #3
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

It works fine for me. Which output plug-in are you using? And are you using any DSP plug-ins?
Winsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2001, 15:12   #4
-DON3k-

DSP?

It's just set for DirectSound output. At home I have a DFX DSP, but at work and on my girlfriend's PC there's no selected DSP's. Both of those PC's are also set for DirectSound. The problem occurs on all of them. Two of the PC's have SBLives and the other has some onboard Yahama chipset, I believe.

As a test, I selected Wave Output, and the cut-off stopped, but it also caused a new "problem" - There's a hic-up of sound at the end of the sample when Wave Output is selected.

So, I guess WinAmp just doesn't like 8-bit 11Khz samples much.

DON3k
Old 22nd January 2001, 15:49   #5
Winsane
Moderator Alumni

Oh ho. I get that cut-off too when using the DirectSound output plug-in. But the waveOut plug-in (which is what I tried before) works fine, without any more of a pop than is supposed to be there.
Mind if I move this thread over to the Bug Reports forum?
Winsane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2001, 16:07   #6
-DON3k-

8-Bit Direct Sound Bug

Sure. Move it on over. I'd appreciate it. I've gotten e-mails from people who've visited my web site reporing this problem to me (asking why I'm always sampling things but cutting the end off) so to have this fixed would be nice.

DON3k
-------------------------------------
MST3k - Picture This Quote! - MST3k
http://picturethisquote.com
-------------------------------------
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports