Old 20th December 2001, 12:51   #1
>ur

2.78c Win2K Audigy problem

I just downloaded 2.78c to my AMD 1.4, Win2K SP2, machine and it kills the right front and rear channels when playing mp3s. I have the sound driver set to 5.1 mode with Klipsch 5.1 speakers connected. I have to remove the audigy drivers and re-install them to get the channels back. This only seems to happen with Winamp, creative's player seems to work fine. I have all the latest drivers. Anyone else experience this problem? Any ideas, I love winamp and don't want to settle for creative's crappy player.

BTW - I just fixed my cracking problem by removing ACPI and giving the Audigy it's own IRQ. It must be by itself or it will crack or skip or pause. What a pain!
>ur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2001, 13:59   #2
peter
ist death

go to winamp preferences / plugins / output and select DirectSound plugin.
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2001, 14:53   #3
>ur

I saw that in one of the previous posts for front and rear channel problems, so you think it will also work for right front and right rear problems? I was going to try that, but I am so tired of uninstalling and re-installing drivers and cards, that I was hoping someone had seen this exact problem and had a known fix. Can you add any further explaination on this sound output setting or point me to a place to read about it?
Old 20th December 2001, 16:23   #4
peter
ist death

isn't changing output plugin more simple than writing a new post ? it has nothing to do with reinstalling drivers.
Old 20th December 2001, 16:51   #5
>ur

It has something to do with drivers if your suggestion doesn't work. Then the only way to get the right channels back is to uninstall and re-install the drivers. So as I stated I was tring to see if anyone had any knowledge on the topic first. I take it from your smart ass reply with no further information in it that you have no knowledge on the topic. Thank you anyway.
Old 20th December 2001, 17:02   #6
peter
ist death

look. you ask question. then you get an answer, which worked for 99% of people who asked this question before. what else do you want ? you seem to have absolutely no knowledge about soundcard drivers anyway.
Old 20th December 2001, 18:29   #7
>ur

Wow, you can tell that about me from just these posts. Amazing, you really must be smart! Do you feel better about yourself now?

I hope that there are people smarter than you reading this forum, since your suggestion didn't work. I have to go for now, I'll be reloading some drivers.

Can we stop insulting each other and just focus on the porblem? I really would like my winamp to work. Thanks.
Old 20th December 2001, 18:39   #8
Wish
Major Dude

>ur,

You should show some respect to Peter, he's the one that writes the WAV, MIDI, MOD and Vorbis input plugins for Winamp. His new waveout and directsound output plugins will be in the next version of Winamp. He also has a SB Live, and he knows of the terrible messups that their drivers do, having to code a lot to workaround their bugs. Expect the Audigy to have similarly poor quality drivers, since Creative doesn't give a damn about writing half decent drivers. Just try the solution that Peter has given, if it doesn't work, then reply back.
Wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2001, 18:44   #9
>ur

Sorry, I didn't know. Thank you for that information and Peter, thanks for the suggestion. Keep up the good work, I love your stuff. Any further help would be appriecated.

Regards,
Old 20th December 2001, 20:48   #10
peter
ist death

first, Winamp itself DOES NOT mess with your speaker configuration (you might have some freaky third-party plugins which do that, if yes, uninstall them now).
with default Winamp config, waveOut is the only interaction between Winamp and your soundcard drivers. again, it shouldn't affect your soundcard's speaker config, waveOut doesn't support any permanent global config changes except for changing volume (yes, i've just thought of that - you might have simply set balance in winamp max to left). sounds like your drivers somehow change speaker config (?) when Winamp uses waveOut. that's why you should switch to DirectSound, it interacts with your soundcard in totally different way it's nearly impossible that it clones weird behaviors of waveOut. also, there is a well-known problem with waveOut eating rear channels while DirectSound works OK.
Old 20th December 2001, 20:54   #11
BeerBaron

Send a message via ICQ to BeerBaron Send a message via AIM to BeerBaron
the problem can be solved by doing one thing... get rid of that soundcard, Soundblasters are horrible, they give no support for new software or hardware... sb live/audigy = death on: Anything ACPI, Anything shared IRQ, Anything by VIA Technologies. Creative takes advantage of gullibility. there are better cards out there that will support 5.1 surround, 24 bit audio. Soundblaster is not the way.

Sympathy, prayer... Crew of the space Shuttle Columbia, do i need to say more?
BeerBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2001, 21:01   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by peter
yes, i've just thought of that - you might have simply set balance in winamp max to left
LOL, yes, that would've been my first reply.
Switch to DirectSound Output, and make sure the balance slider in the main winamp window is centralized.

[edit]
Yo BeerBaron! Tell it like it is!
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2001, 21:09   #13
peter
ist death

Quote:
Originally posted by BeerBaron
the problem can be solved by doing one thing... get rid of that soundcard, Soundblasters are horrible, they give no support for new software or hardware... sb live/audigy = death on: Anything ACPI, Anything shared IRQ, Anything by VIA Technologies. Creative takes advantage of gullibility. there are better cards out there that will support 5.1 surround, 24 bit audio. Soundblaster is not the way.
i absolutely agree. sblive drivers are a troublemaking POS for me all time (that was why i had to start making my own output plugins - default ones were seriously messed up with win2k/sblive)
Old 21st December 2001, 12:13   #14
>ur

It really pisses me off that Creative acts like it is not their problem that I have to turn off ACPI to get their card to work. I did see a bit of this don't care attitude from their tech support. If it were not for a few features like, remote control, (headphone jack, firewire, and mic on front of case), and 5.1 24 bit sound, I would have looked for some other card. Also in the past, I had a turtle beach sound card, and I could never get it to work with quake. So I was a little gun shy about tring anything other than sound blaster cards. If someone knows of a card with these features, AMD, Win2k, and Quake compatibility then post it. I will give it a look and turn in this SB POS.

Anyway back on the topic, it seems it was a combo of problems. I had a few things still not right from the ACPI switch over process after that the orginal direct sound suggestion worked. The wav out dll permently disabled my right channels and going to direct sound stopped this problem. Is this why the wav out dll is being re-writen? Anyway thanks for the help and sorry for the grief, keep the good stuff coming. How about a feature that goes to the CDDB and updates the id3 tags automatically??
Old 21st December 2001, 12:30   #15
peter
ist death

yes, waveOut plugin is being rewritten, and the new version is opensource - more info here. again, if soundblaster drivers are really to blame, i don't think we can fix it on waveOut plugin side (good news: final Winamp3 will probably use DirectSound by default, like other modern media players do).
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports