Old 5th June 2011, 08:39   #1
Robm1955

Winamp and Windows Vista

Since installing the latest version of Winamp on my pc, it's hit & miss whether it works or not. Sometimes, it will load the files, then not play them. When I close Winamp down, Windows displays the message 'Winamp has stopped working'. Another problem is with UAC. I realise that Windows is trying to protect my system, but when Winamp tries to run, I get asked for permission to run the program. Not once but twice. Is there a way of stopping it, without actually turning UAC off?
Robm1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 16:56   #2
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

1\ A list of plug-ins will help.

2\ If you are not on 5.61, the latest installation, make sure you install it.

3\ UAC, Winamp and Vista. What you are seeing is Winamp attempting to reset your File Associations at startup. All you need to do is RIGHT CLICK the Winamp shortcut, and do one RUN AS ADMINSTRATOR... startup. Accept the UAC prompt. Go into the Preferences. untick the "Restore Winamp File Associations at Startup" tick (found on File Types page) While on this page, it is worth setting the associations you need. Close the preferences and quit Winamp.

Next time you start, you can start as normal from the shortcut and you will see no UAC prompt.

Remember that any time you want Winamp to change the files it is associated with, you need to startup with the RIGHT CLICK, RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR... trick.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 17:05   #3
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
Go into the Preferences. untick the "Restore Winamp File Associations at Startup" tick (found on File Types page)
that's the main thing which needs to be done and 5.62 (or whatever the next version is marked as) will automatically disable that on Vista / Windows 7 to resolve the UAC prompt that option can cause on loading (since the OS is told what file extensions to keep associated with Winamp).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
Remember that any time you want Winamp to change the files it is associated with, you need to startup with the RIGHT CLICK, RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR... trick.
that shouldn't be needed if using 5.61 (or any of the late 5.5x versions) as things were heavily tested to ensure that it'd elevate only when needed when changing things via the 'File Types' preference page.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 17:14   #4
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
that shouldn't be needed if using 5.61 (or any of the late 5.5x versions) as things were heavily tested to ensure that it'd elevate only when needed when changing things via the 'File Types' preference page.
Ahh... me and out of date advice again. Noted...
Old 5th June 2011, 17:22   #5
DrO

well as long as a current Winamp version is being used then there shouldn't be a problem especially once the restore option has been unchecked - but then again it is potentially possible for things to fail with A/V programs, etc doing things not quite right.

is the main reason there's a lot fewer UAC issues now compared to the early 5.5x builds i think plus Microsoft removed the shim they put in for Winamp a while back now so they must view things as being ok

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 19:21   #6
Robm1955

Thanks guys, that's solved the UAC problem, but I'm still getting the annoying 'winamp has stopped working' message when I close it down. The only plugins I have, are what came with the program.
Old 6th June 2011, 09:27   #7
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

What are you playing when it crashes? Or will it crash if it is just opened and then closed?
Old 11th June 2011, 11:29   #8
Robm1955

It doesn't actually crash. It's just if I stop a song from playing, and close Winamp down, I get the message that it's stopped working, and Windows will find a solution to the problem, which never happens.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support