Old 3rd September 2014, 15:13   #1
mjpettersen

install based on config

Hello.

I've been using NSIS in order to serve workarounds in a company enviroment, and have started thinking about letting my users run them themselves through Microsoft SCCM. The problem then being that I should have a way for the user to choose what workaround should be run.

The way I hoped to get it done:

Have a quickfix main installer that I'm going to distribute to my users, that reads a config file serverside that I could update as new fixes are produced and let the user choose what file should be run and the main installer goes on to start that fix with a silent switch (all quickfixes are distributed packaged in NSIS).

Is there any way to get this done?
mjpettersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 16:55   #2
Anders

NSIS is not really the best tool for dynamic lists of things.

If you know there will never be more than 25, 50, 100 or whatever items then you can create hidden sections and use the components page. If the max number of items is unknown you will have to use a custom page with a listbox, listview or treeview...

IntOp $PostCount $PostCount + 1
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 18:41   #3
mjpettersen

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to be using more than a 100 fixes at one time (At that point we would really need to start working on permanent fixes I'd wager). Is it possible to get description and component name from an external configuration file positioned on a common network share?

On a totaly unrelated topic... any reccomendations for better tools for listing and launching the NSIS-installers (preferably with description)?
mjpettersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2014, 19:31   #4
Anders

If it is a SMB/CIFS/UNC share you can just store the info in a .ini and use the NSIS ini instructions. To access something over HTTP you need to use a plugin and download the file before you can parse it...

IntOp $PostCount $PostCount + 1
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Developer Center > NSIS Discussion