Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Music O'Rama

Old 4th January 2004, 09:48   #81
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
for someone who listens to so much music, you have a very narrow definition of "tune".
If Thom would stop wailing for just a second, maybe I could hear it... I once listened to Amnesiac on the way to work - the traffic was heavy as usual. I heard percussion and wailing.

Lucky I burned it on CDRW.

Secret Snacker & Accomplished Pen Thief At:
Cylob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2004, 17:39   #82
zootm
Forum King

lol. i guess that the traffic was cutting out all the wrong frequencies, then

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2004, 19:22   #83
Namelessv1
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by apola_anamisha
LOL!You think I'm afraid to tell the truth?
Not only in this forum, I can tell it to my bf too. When I'll return those cds to him.....I'll say that I don't like them at all, they are ridiculous Fuck off ..... and it was indeed a poor try by him!They can't take the place of Pop music ever.No matter whatever he thinks.(I know our relation won’t break for this stupid thing but even if it would break.........I would still have told it. See, I prefer boy bands to everything else, yes everything......’cause they are the best)
Yeah, it can't take the place of pop because it's real music.
Namelessv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2004, 21:02   #84
MontyGail

Quote:
Originally posted by Dawg4Life2K1
Yeah, it can't take the place of pop because it's real music.
You do know though that there is much more to pop music then just "boybands" and "pop princesses"......

My fav artists are considered pop music but they are a far cry from boybands and such.

Pure pop with heart and soul. As I say.

Jess
MontyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2004, 21:31   #85
Namelessv1
Forum King

My use of the word "pop" refers to the money-grubbing corporate tools of the music "industry."

I consider "bands" like Linkin Park and Good Charlotte as "pop."
Old 8th January 2004, 05:02   #86
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

The "Milkshake" song... it must die...
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2004, 06:42   #87
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

Quote:
lol. i guess that the traffic was cutting out all the wrong frequencies, then
If I play it at home will I end up smashing my stereo?

*What the fuck is this wailing??? SMASH SMASH SMASH*

*Sends bill to EMI*

Old 8th January 2004, 07:09   #88
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

I LOVE POP MUSIC!!!

Now excuse me, I'm late for my 12-step program...

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2004, 03:26   #89
locust85

I feel so at home here with all you people that realize that mainstream music sucks instead of being surrounded by preps at school all day. You know the kind. The 14-year-old girls with the too-tight Simple Plan T-shirt and the GC sticker on their folder right next to the N'Sync sticker.

I'm surprised no one mentioned No Doubt. "Girls say...boys say...hey baby, hey baby, hey." Truly inspirational. Those lyrics really speak to me. How they ever became popular is a mystery to me. Some people tell me that they used to be good, but the prospect isn't worth the trouble to me of typing their name into Kazaa. I've got hoards of better music a mouse-click away.

PS. You want real music, go to www.purevolume.com

PPS. Death to Simple Plan. Gotta hand it to them though. It's tough to "sell out" before your first album is released.
locust85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2004, 07:58   #90
Spazz333
Major Dude

Fuck it, I had a nice post written about how they technicly aren't sell outs (cheesy yes, sell outs no.) How No Doubt was making good music back when they first made it big (The Spiderwebs era) and how we like mainstream music too, beings we have our resident Slipknot groupie, and our resident Boy Band groupie.

However, my modem decided to disconnect immediatly after pressing reply the first time, then after I retyped it I accidently hit reset form. This is all you get.

Spazz333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2004, 16:06   #91
ViperJackson

Quote:
Originally posted by Spazz333
311 is actually a good band, at least their first CD was. I can actually listen to 90% of the songs straight through.
You don't listen to songs the entire way through? Huh?!
ViperJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2004, 22:14   #92
Spazz333
Major Dude

Heh, I actually meant that I can listen to 90% of the CD without skipping a song. Granted I am a bit schizto when I listen to music and do randomly hit the skip song button halfway through.

Spazz333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2004, 20:35   #93
Merlin
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by ShyShy
The "Milkshake" song... it must die...
That is truly an abomination. The vocals must have taken all of thirty seconds to think of, and the beat sounds like someone mashed the keys on a cheap Casio keyboard and looped the sound for four minutes. Anyone who buys it should be shot for contributing to easy-make no-feeling music.

as he faced the sun, he cast no shadow
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2004, 04:35   #94
Tarron_D
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Merlin
That is truly an abomination. The vocals must have taken all of thirty seconds to think of, and the beat sounds like someone mashed the keys on a cheap Casio keyboard and looped the sound for four minutes. Anyone who buys it should be shot for contributing to easy-make no-feeling music.
A-Fucking-Men! Its by far the most annoying song to ever enter my ears! And that bitch is ugly!

"If everything I didn't give a shit about died, the only thing that would be left would be me, my dick, and maybe some pizza!" -Two (Visit www.ranting-gryphon.com, it rocks.)
Tarron_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2004, 04:58   #95
MontyGail

I don't know which is worse....that a song like that exsists...or

the fact that the mindless fools that I call my friends love the damn thing...I swear...High Schoolers really piss me off. I would just like once for them to think for themeselves.

Funny thing is...they give me crap for what I like..and ever artist that I consider as one of my faves...isn't even known in the area I live. I base what I like on what I LIKE...and they accuse ME of following trends.

This from Avril and Good Charlotte fans!!....*groans*

Jess
MontyGail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2004, 07:23   #96
Cylob
Forum Music King
(Forum King)

I hate these readilly-made party albums.

Talk about LAZY!

Old 21st April 2004, 10:57   #97
lostonline
Where am I?
(Major Dude)

I dislike a lot of pop music, including but not limited to boy 'bands'. This isn't a blanket dislike, I will listen to something before deciding if it is crap or not but generally a bunch of people with no skills in music singing songs aimed at teens just doesn't do anything for me.

White Stripes aren't bad just overrated, the music is fairly simple but sometimes that is a good thing.

As an example of the stuff I listen to, the last five albums I've got are:
Biosphere - Substrata Vol. 2
David Holmes - Lets Get Killed
Fragile State - Voices From The Dust Bowl
Steve Reich - Music For 18 Musicians
Norah Jones - Feels Like Home

Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.
--
Homer Simpson
lostonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2004, 10:59   #98
yxs

Hm... so 14-year old girls are not people? Their emotions don't count?
Boybands are something they have to go through... it's that time. Every age group finds something for them in the type of music they listen to.
Going at someone because their taste differs from yours... well, it's just a bit... I don't know, immature.
The older you get, you start to realize that fighting over music is a bit of a waste of energy.
Music is a subjective thing. There is no good or bad... at least it's not so simply recognized in such thing.

Too much alternative music is not good for nerve system either.
yxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2004, 11:43   #99
NJK
The Frisian Spamfighter

Quote:
Originally posted by yxs
Hm... so 14-year old girls are not people? Their emotions don't count?
Boybands are something they have to go through... it's that time. Every age group finds something for them in the type of music they listen to.
Going at someone because their taste differs from yours... well, it's just a bit... I don't know, immature.
The older you get, you start to realize that fighting over music is a bit of a waste of energy.
Music is a subjective thing. There is no good or bad... at least it's not so simply recognized in such thing.

we've had this discussion some time ago - If it's a 14 year old girl there is a posibility she'll grow over it but on the other hand if these things are posted by a 19 years old girl that prefers "her boy bands" over her boyfriend there is something wrong.

it's not that we ( the regulars) have a disliking to certain music genres but we have a serious disliking about each and every post that has to do with one band or artist.

if you can't respect the choises some other members make, you can not expect "us" to have respect for the fact that this music genre is the only thing you live for!

I think this discussion about boybands should end right here and now.
we've spend far to much time on this subject already.
there's to much good music out there that could use a little boost.

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.
FORUMRULES
WINAMP
SHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2004, 17:43   #100
gaekwad2
Foorum King

I've always hated mainstream singers trying to sound "expressive". But that's nothing against so-called r'n'b singers trying to sound expressive.

I can stand a lot of bland poop (that's a typo, honestly!) for a few minutes at least but those... aargh!
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2004, 23:18   #101
Namelessv1
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by yxs

Let's make something perfectly, 100%, crystal clear here. No one has ever been personally attacked in a serious manner for their taste in music. It was soley because of their incessant and outright obnoxious posts about that specific artist/group or genre, not only in this forum, but every forum here at the Winamp forums. The posts were not even relavent to the subject matter of the thread. Music genre had absolutely nothing to do with it.
Old 11th May 2004, 22:19   #102
Cokebotle

Send a message via AIM to Cokebotle
I have an issue with metal music being called "real music." I'm sorry, but screaming into a microphone while playing heavily distorted guitar (so much so that I can't tell what they're playing) is not music. If you want to get technical about "real music" get ahold of some Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, etc.

That being said, I think every "band" made from a TV show should die in a horrible manner following that of the deaths of the people who made those stupid shows to begin with (I'm looking at you Fox Network).
Cokebotle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2004, 22:21   #103
zootm
Forum King

i have an issue with metal that deserves it not getting to call itself "real music" because some people have a narrow perception of "real music" as only the kind commonly created hundreds of years ago.

but that's possibly just me.

Old 11th May 2004, 22:26   #104
Cokebotle

I was just poking fun at metal, which I personally don't like at all. I have no narrow perception of good music, as I listen to damn near every genre out there and like a good 95% of it.

Also, has anyone heard Joss Stone's cover of The White Stripes' Fell in Love with a Girl?
Old 11th May 2004, 22:50   #105
lostonline
Where am I?
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally posted by Cokebotle
Also, has anyone heard Joss Stone's cover of The White Stripes' Fell in Love with a Girl?
It's not a bad cover, the album The Soul Sessions is quite good too for a collection of covers (including some collabarations with some well established artists).

--
Homer Simpson
Old 11th May 2004, 22:52   #106
zootm
Forum King

speaking of good covers, try getting the johnny cash version of "hurt" by nine inch nails.

this thread really should be about bad music, though.

Old 11th May 2004, 22:53   #107
MidnightViper88
Made In The USA
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88 Send a message via Yahoo to MidnightViper88
Quote:
What Cokebottle said...
I'm sorry, but screaming into a microphone while playing heavily distorted guitar (so much so that I can't tell what they're playing) is not music.
God knows whatever death or goth rock you've been listening to that people have told you was "metal"...

All I can say is that more melodic stuff like Pantera, Metallica, Ozzy Osbourne, and Judas Priest have better composed songs that whatever *insert crappy death rock band here* may make...You can understand the lyrics, and metal gods like Kirk Hammett and Zakk Wylde have been playing guitar since their teens and have been good at it since...How many teens in bands do you see today that have hardly any talent in playing a guitar, much less know what a chord or scale is?

I've always respected the metal and hard rock scene of the 70's and 80's...Personal opinions are what everyone have, but I'll gladly look at bands like Guns N' Roses or AC/DC that have more talent than bands like Mushroomhead or Mudvayne, or fuckin' whatever...

"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
MidnightViper88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2004, 22:53   #108
Cokebotle

Quote:
Originally posted by lostonline
It's not a bad cover, the album The Soul Sessions is quite good too for a collection of covers (including some collabarations with some well established artists).
I dunno. I really like the original, and I personally hate the cover. I'll probably look into some of her other stuff sometime.
Old 11th May 2004, 23:10   #109
lostonline
Where am I?
(Major Dude)

Quote:
speaking of good covers, try getting the johnny cash version of "hurt" by nine inch nails.

this thread really should be about bad music, though.
Yeah I know it should be about bad music, but you've picked another good cover (check the rest of the album American IV (I think), for a load more Johnny Cash covers while not all good are certainly different to the originals)

--
Homer Simpson
Old 12th May 2004, 02:06   #110
corkhead0
Major Dude

People that say that metal bands are talentless really need to get thier heads out of thier asses. Seriously.

Every tried doing guteral vocals for an hour long show? I bet nobody here would last five minutes before they started coughing up blood. And about not being able to understand the lyrics, look them up sometime. You will find it's natural when you get the feel for it.

If you're looking for technical skill, try Dream Theater, Meshuggah, Spiral Architect, Ion Dissonance or any of the huge number of prog and math metal bands.

If you're looking for speed try grindcore or black metal. Thrash metal can get pretty fast too.

If you're looking for melody, try Insomnium, Opeth, Edge Of Sanity, Amon Amarth, Soilwork, At The Gates... etc

If you're looking for pure brutality try one of the many death metal bands out there.

My point is that not liking metal is fine, but saying it's not music, that's just stupid.
corkhead0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Music O'Rama