Old 10th March 2008, 09:57   #1
ame

Another DVD Format, but This One Says It’s Cheaper

<<No sooner has the battle for the next-generation high definition DVD format ended, with Blu-ray triumphing over HD DVD, than a new contender has emerged.

A new system that is incompatible with Blu-ray, called HD VMD, for versatile multilayer disc, is trying to find a niche. New Medium Enterprises, the London company behind HD VMD, says its system’s quality is equal to Blu-ray’s but it costs less. By undercutting the competition in production, replication and hardware costs, it thinks it can find a market among consumers with less disposable income, particularly outside the United States.>>

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/10/technology/10dvd.html?ref=business

Last edited by ame; 10th March 2008 at 12:53.
Old 23rd March 2008, 23:34   #2
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
What are the specs? What makes it competitive to Blu-ray or HD DVD? I'm curious to know what the format can do in addition to costing less. If I wanted something to cost less, I'd get a cheap dvd/vcr combo for $48.00.

About the only difference is that it can play HD movies. How much data can one disc store? At what data rate can a typical player read/write to a disc? It just seemed to be a rather long read just to find out that something that can play HD at a lower price has been released.

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News