Old 22nd February 2011, 11:46   #1
emacee1701

Won't Play MKV Files

I have attempted to play MKV (Matroska) video files in WinAmp. Nothing happens. WinAmp is set as the default program. MKV is listed as a supported file type. The file name appears in WinAmp when I click on the file or use WinAmp's file menu. The file does not start playing on its own and nothing happens when I click on the Play button. I have tried several different MKV files. These files do play OK in VLC media player but not in WinAmp.

-A List of Plugins - No additional plugins
-PC or Motherboard make/model - eMachines ET-1831-07
-CPU & RAM Pent Dual Core CPU E5400 @ 2.7 GHz 4.0 Gb RAM
-Sound card or chip RealTek Hi Definition Audio
-Videocard Nvidia GeForce 7050
-Windows OS (including Service Pack, eg. WinXP sp2) Win 7 Premium 64 bit
-DirectX version (start > run > dxdiag)
-Winamp version 5.601
-Confirmation of the Winamp installation type Pro
emacee1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 19:14   #2
CJ_Man

See http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=327101

Hopefully you already have the required codecs installed in Windows.
CJ_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2011, 23:50   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

You shouldn't need any extra external codecs if you're using a Pro-registered version of Winamp.

These are the instructions for the non-Pro (free) version of Winamp:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=155680#mkv

For Winamp Pro, you should be able to keep the Nullsoft MKV Demuxer (in_mkv.dll) and not need to use the in_dshow method as described in the FAQ link above.

When you right-click on the MKV file in the Winamp Playlist and select 'View File Info', what does it say the audio & video codecs are?
(you might need to resize the column to see the full Codec Name/ID)

Winamp Pro info for MKV
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....d=315355#video

Winamp Pro natively supports the following audio & video codecs inside an MKV container:
Quote:
in_mkv supports:
video: h.264 (avc), h.263*, mp4v2, theora
(mpeg-1 & 2 not supported)
audio: mp3, aac, ac3*, dca/dts*,vorbis

*Requires extra (h.263, ac3, dca) decoders from the Winamp Essentials pack to be installed!
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 01:20   #4
emacee1701

Here is the codec info:

Video V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Audio A_AC3

DJ Egg: Yes, I do have the Pro version. But the file info does not look like what you listed.

I did a search on "MKV" on the Winamp plug-ins site and got no results.
Since my earlier message, I've gotten Service Pack 1 for Windows 7 Premium 64 bit. Problem still occurs.

I tried CJ-Man's tweak to the Directshow filter list and got the following error message when I tried to play an MKV file:
HAALI MEDIA SPLITTER - Error: Can't open file. Class not registered.
Since I downloaded these MKV files, I've also been getting the same error message in Picasa (Google's photo organizer and viewing program) when I open the program and it loads my image library. I've gone back to the default setting.

I downloaded and installed Winamp Essentials and that seems to have solved the problem. The MKV files now play. (Strange that Winamp lists MKV as a supported file type when I needed an optional set of plug-ins to play them.)

Anyway, thanks guys, for your help.
emacee1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 19:15   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

You just needed to install the AC3 decoder from the Essential Pack.

You could've unchecked everything else in the EP installer options, if you wanted, except for AC3 Decoder, Extra FLV Decoder (H.263) & ALAC Decoder.

We're not licensed to natively support those codecs.
The license from Dolby for AC3 costs a fortune.
H.263 (the video codec used in most YouTube FLV/MP4 videos) is an unknown quantity. We still aren't sure if our MPEG-4 license covers it.
ALAC is a proprietary Apple format.
For legal reasons, we can't include those codecs in the Winamp distribution, so we put them in the EP instead.

For Winamp Pro, you DON'T need Haali Splitter or ANY other external 3rd-party splitter/filter/decoder!
Old 25th February 2011, 17:42   #6
CJ_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
For Winamp Pro, you DON'T need Haali Splitter or ANY other external 3rd-party splitter/filter/decoder!
Believe me I'd love for Winamp to be my one-and-only media player, that's why I paid for the Pro version. But the video side, especially the h.264 decoding, just isn't up to it.

Play a high bitrate 720p MKV or MP4 in Winamp Pro with the inbuilt codecs and you get obvious jittery motion in fast action sequences while the CPU is running around 30% on my notebook. maybe I'm more sensitive to it, but once the "jitter" is noticed it's obvious and annoying.

Play the same video in WMP12 on the same machine and it flows like smoke with virtually no CPU usage at all.

Clearly there's no support for DXVA, but that's not the whole problem. Bypassing Winamp's codecs and going straight to ffdshow doesn't invoke DXVA either, but it does at least give smooth motion.

Unfortunately the video playback side of Winamp still needs to improve before it can serve as the only media player one needs.
Old 26th February 2011, 08:51   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hmm, I don't get jittery playback with HD MP4/MKV.
Though for sure, the native support for those formats is relatively new,
and there's definitely plenty of room for further improvement.
Old 11th July 2011, 07:27   #8
repapips2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Man View Post
Believe me I'd love for Winamp to be my one-and-only media player, that's why I paid for the Pro version. But the video side, especially the h.264 decoding, just isn't up to it.

Play a high bitrate 720p MKV or MP4 in Winamp Pro with the inbuilt codecs and you get obvious jittery motion in fast action sequences while the CPU is running around 30% on my notebook. maybe I'm more sensitive to it, but once the "jitter" is noticed it's obvious and annoying.

Play the same video in WMP12 on the same machine and it flows like smoke with virtually no CPU usage at all.

Clearly there's no support for DXVA, but that's not the whole problem. Bypassing Winamp's codecs and going straight to ffdshow doesn't invoke DXVA either, but it does at least give smooth motion.

Unfortunately the video playback side of Winamp still needs to improve before it can serve as the only media player one needs.
Hmm its not about the DXVA or a codec's issues. You have that jittery motion on screen because winamp in default settings disabled "vsync", to enable it go to...

Options > Preferences > Video

Then "tick" Synchronize video to screen refresh rate

That option is "off" by default.
repapips2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 08:12   #9
CJ_Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by repapips2004 View Post
You have that jittery motion on screen because winamp in default settings disabled "vsync", to enable it go to...
Nope, I've re-tested this wih the latest version of Pro and that setting (which I had checked anyway) makes no difference at all.
Old 23rd February 2012, 09:52   #10
goodbabywell

Just google search Step by step guide on how to play MKV, HD MKV files on PS3/Xbox 360/iPad/iPhone/Samsung/Android/QuickTime/Zune/PowerPoint/BlackBerry/Nokia and more.

you will find a simple solution
goodbabywell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2012, 05:22   #11
drag0nwind

Need Help With This Too Please

Hello There,

New Pro user here, I'm having this same issue with playing an .mkv file.

Not sure if it's using the same codec as above and I don't really have other .mkv files to test with right now, but I went to preferences, MKV is in the DirectShow decoder list, but playing it does nothing.

I installed that Essential pack, not sure if I needed it, but, didn't help. Should I reinstall, or keep the Essential pack? Running XP Pro with SP3, btw.

Rightclicking on it, view file info shows: Info (nothing) Currently used filters (nothing) and in the filename is: x264, AC3.

Is there something else I need? Is this one just not supported? I share the sentiment that I'd like WinampPro to be my go-to media player.

Anyway, all help would be appreciated.. satisfied either way, been using Winamp free for like 12 years or something.. lol.

Take Care.

Aaron
drag0nwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 22:04   #12
runner57

About mp4 playback in winamp, more than a year later

The latest version of Winamp supports mp4, but the picture quality is terrible when playing higher res mp4. Even smaller files dvd size do not play well. No problems with VLC player though, very good picture quality.
I wish winamp would do something about it, because I use its library, which reads metadata of mp4 files. VLC player does not have much of a library.
It seems the development of winamp has come to a standstill, because most forum posts are old.
runner57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 22:06   #13
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner57 View Post
because most forum posts are old.
Winamp's over 15 years old and the posts on this forum go back 12 (almost 13) years so there is going to be a lot of "old" posts.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2012, 21:09   #14
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner57 View Post
It seems the development of winamp has come to a standstill, because most forum posts are old.
The development has not stopped.

It is still a fact of life, that a single 'do everything well' app does not exist. Appreciate Winamp for what it currently does well, use other apps for things it currently doesn't. Keep posting your issues, but also keep hope alive for the future.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 15:19   #15
RK48

hey guys
I'm having almost exactly the same problem.
My winamp pro only plays some .mkv files. I tried to play little manhattan.mkv but nothing happens even after clicking the play button. But it plays another .mkv file perectly.
the file which doesn't play has information:

video codec name-V_MPeg4/ISO/avc

audio codec name-A_AAC

the file which does play shows:

video codec name- v_mpeg4/iso/avc
audio codec name- a_aac

the only difference is that the file which doesn't play has subtitles but not so the other one

please tell me how to fix this in winamp. i have v5.64 PRO.
I already played them both in VLC, Totem and Km player.
THNX
RK48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 16:09   #16
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@RK48 - have you read the sticky about getting MKV to work? So many different video types can be packed into an MKV container. Worth checking the notes in this thread first.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=155680

If that doesn't work, any chance of posting a (legal) link to a legally downloadable file (we can't help with pirated \ copyright stuff here as we get a slap)
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 17:44   #17
RK48

hey I just joined here a few days ago cut me some slack.
BTW its not working but a crappy version of the audio can be heard. Nothing to SEE
Old 29th June 2013, 18:10   #18
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Eh? Not sure which bit you got upset at. But we really can't help you without more details as to your setup or what the video is.

We need a list of plugins which is easy to get hold of by using the Winamp Info Tool:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins

And if you read the post I mentioned above then there are steps in there to help you to get it to work.
Old 29th June 2013, 18:40   #19
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

An MKV file with AVC/H.264 video and AAC audio should play ok by default with Winamp Pro.
We still don't support subtitles, so those should be ignored...

The Info Tool log might show us something with your config or installation that's affecting the issue.

Other than that, yes, we would need a sample file to see if it's an issue with our MKV demuxer or H264/AAC decoders.

zippyshare.com is a good place to upload files (be sure to zip it up first)... though it has a 200mb limit...
Old 30th June 2013, 01:58   #20
RK48

But the file is 349 MB.
I downloaded the info tool and This is what I get( I did what was said in the link batter Dude posted so no in_mkv.dll):
Attached Files
File Type: txt info_report.txt (3.0 KB, 412 views)
Old 30th June 2013, 02:40   #21
DrO

re-download and re-run the Winamp installer (as you're on an older build of v5.64 - the current one is build 3418) and ensure you select Matroska MKV as one of the video formats to support on the choose components page. as it's likely most of the issue is due to the plug-in (in_mkv) not being present and Winamp is then trying to do what it can to play the file(s) and so fails or it gets passed to in_dshow / something else.
Old 30th June 2013, 06:28   #22
RK48

It's not working. I upgraded and did what you asked but no good. No Video No sound.
I downloaded the files which does and doesn't work, from pirate bay cause not many things are available in India v_v .
And like I said it works on other players. what to do now?
Old 30th June 2013, 15:01   #23
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

So is Nullsoft Matroska Demuxer (in_mkv.dll) now listed under Winamp > Prefs (Ctrl+P) > Plug-ins > Input?
It was missing in your Info Tool log....

Also make sure MKV isn't in the DirectShow Decoder extension list.
Prefs > Plugins > Input > in_dshow > config
If it's there, remove MKV from the extension list.
Old 30th June 2013, 16:47   #24
RK48

Yeah it is. Here's the info log after reinstallation

<<<<< General Information >>>>>

Installed Windows Version: Windows 7 Ultimate (32 Bit)
Installed DirectX Version: DirectX 11, DirectX 9.0c (4.09.00.0904)
Installed Internet Explorer Version: 8.0.7600.16385 (32-Bit)
Installed Winamp Version: 5.6.4.3418
Winamp Installation Type: Winamp Pro Version
Installed Winamp Backup Tool Version: Winamp Backup Tool is not present on the system
Installed Sonic Burning Engine Version: 4.28.6.0
Installed Gracenote CDDB/MusicID Version: 2.6.206.205
Currently Used Skin: Bento
Currently Used Language Pack: None
Currently Used Output Plug-in: Nullsoft DirectSound Output [out_ds.dll]
Currently Used Visualization Plug-in: MilkDrop 2 [vis_milk2.dll]
Currently Used DSP Plug-in: None
Currently Used Encoding Plug-in: None
Currently Used File Type Icon Library: None
Currently Used Tray Control Icon Pack: None

<<<<< Registered File Extensions >>>>>

AVI
CDA
MPG
MPEG
M2V
AVI
FLAC
FLV
MID
MIDI
RMI
KAR
MIZ
MKV
WEBM
MOD
MDZ
NST
STM
STZ
S3M
S3Z
IT
ITZ
XM
XMZ
MTM
ULT
FAR
AMF
OKT
PTM
MP3
MP2
MP1
AAC
VLB
M4A
MP4
M4V
NSV
NSA
SWF
OGG
OGA
AIFF
AIF
AU
AVR
CAF
HTK
IFF
MAT
PAF
PVF
RAW
RF64
SD2
SDS
SF
VOC
W64
WAV
WVE
XI
WMA
WMV
ASF
M3U
M3U8
PLS
B4S
XSPF
WPL
ASX

<<<<< Installed Winamp Input Plug-ins >>>>>

in_avi.dll(*)
Version: 0.72 | Size: 68 KB

in_cdda.dll(*)
Version: 3.94 | Size: 101 KB

in_dshow.dll(*)
Version: 1.1 | Size: 72 KB

in_flac.dll(*)
Version: 3.0.2 | Size: 68 KB

in_flv.dll(*)
Version: 1.42 | Size: 43 KB

in_linein.dll(*)
Version: 3.15 | Size: 8 KB

in_midi.dll(*)
Version: 3.52 | Size: 108 KB

in_mkv.dll(*)
Version: 0.81 | Size: 49 KB

in_mod.dll(*)
Version: 2.92 | Size: 161 KB

in_mp3.dll(*)
Version: 4.99.4 | Size: 288 KB

in_mp4.dll(*)
Version: 2.62 | Size: 54 KB

in_nsv.dll(*)
Version: 1.73 | Size: 74 KB

in_swf.dll(*)
Version: 1.12 | Size: 24 KB

in_vorbis.dll(*)
Version: 1.73 | Size: 250 KB

in_wave.dll(*)
Version: 3.22 | Size: 24 KB

in_wm.dll(*)
Version: 3.74 | Size: 308 KB

<<<<< Installed Winamp Output Plug-ins >>>>>

out_disk.dll(*)
Version: 2.15 | Size: 23 KB

out_ds.dll(*)
Version: 2.62 | Size: 52 KB

out_wave.dll(*)
Version: 2.14 | Size: 19 KB

<<<<< Installed Winamp Vizualization Plug-ins >>>>>

vis_avs.dll(*)
Version: 2.8.2 | Size: 452 KB

vis_milk2.dll(*)
Version: 2.25.3 | Size: 427 KB

vis_nsfs.dll(*)
Version: 2.13 | Size: 35 KB
Old 30th June 2013, 16:59   #25
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Hmm, ok....

If you can't get this 350mb sample file to us, then can we see a Media Info log for it?
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=161361#video

As I said, the only reason why an MKV file with h.264 video and aac audio wouldn't play in Winamp Pro is if there's some problem we're not aware of with either: the mkv demuxer (in_mkv) or the h264.w5s or aacdec.w5s decoders... or if there's a problem with the actual video file (eg. corruption, bad download, or wrong file extension - e.g. if it's an .mp4 file with the wrong .mkv extension).
Old 30th June 2013, 17:07   #26
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Is the Essentials Pack also required here? Going by the Plugins Sticky it is mentioned as required for MKV yet I do not see it installed above.

Linky to Essentials Pack
http://www.winamp.com/plugin/winamp-...k-v5-64/150126
Old 30th June 2013, 17:11   #27
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

It's needed with release versions if the video content is H263 or the audio content is AC3 or DCA/DTS

But according to RK48, the container & file extension is MKV, the video content is H264 and the audio content is AAC LC,
all of which are supported by default in Winamp Pro 5.64
Old 30th June 2013, 18:30   #28
RK48

@DJ Egg
Hmm. I don't quite understand what u mean by the link. But there is a program called mediainfo which gives u info bout the video and such. is that what u meant?
@ Batter Pudding
I already had installed EP before reinstallation. so There's not much sense doing it again.

forgot to mention this, Thank u for all ur suggestions Hopefully it will work soon ^_^
Old 30th June 2013, 18:51   #29
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yes, MediaInfo, that's the one.
The log generated by it will confirm the container format and the audio & video codecs.

e.g. If it says: Container = Matroska, then the .mkv file extension is correct.

or if it says: Container = MPEG-4, then the file extension needs to be .mp4 not .mkv
Old 30th June 2013, 18:56   #30
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo
Old 1st July 2013, 11:52   #31
RK48

here. it says its matroska
Attached Files
File Type: txt nmkgk.txt (3.9 KB, 397 views)
Old 1st July 2013, 17:12   #32
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Thanks. I've managed to get hold of the file... for test purposes...
and it's as you say, it doesn't play in Winamp, but plays ok in VLC, MPC, etc.

Hopefully we can determine the cause and come up with a solution....
Old 1st July 2013, 17:30   #33
RK48

no prob. please let us know when it's fixed.
And while you're at it, also include HD video support in winamp
Thanks
Old 6th December 2013, 19:27   #34
Aspasa

is there a fix for this yet?

I have a .webm file generated through Oracle's VBox SCreen Capture. Plays just fine in VLC Media Player.

Right clicking on the .webm in Winamp and selecting 'view file info' shows Dialog title as "MKV File Properties", Type "Video" and codec/codec ID as V_VP8

What to do?
How do I get .webm/MKV to play in Winamp?
Aspasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2013, 19:53   #35
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

I assume you have already followed the instructions above?

Any chance of sticking a short clip somewhere for use to check? (try wetransfer.com or other file sharing site and post the link here)

MKV is supported by Winamp and working in many cases, but not all MKVs are the same as MKV is only a box with a video inside it. And that video type can be many many different things....
Old 6th December 2013, 20:13   #36
Aspasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
I assume you have already followed the instructions above?
well, i couldn't find 'essentials' anywhere - after a lot of looking - and it appears dated so, i skipped that. I did download and install AC3 and also stuck the ;MKV extension on the end of DirectShow DEcoder. All this and still no happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
Any chance of sticking a short clip somewhere for use to check?
http://northcoastcomputers.com/cdn/4batter.webm

- thanks for the quick response. Appreciated much.

Last edited by Aspasa; 6th December 2013 at 22:41.
Aspasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2013, 02:56   #37
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspasa View Post
is there a fix for this yet?

I have a .webm file generated through Oracle's VBox SCreen Capture. Plays just fine in VLC Media Player.

Right clicking on the .webm in Winamp and selecting 'view file info' shows Dialog title as "MKV File Properties", Type "Video" and codec/codec ID as V_VP8

What to do?
How do I get .webm/MKV to play in Winamp?
There is another current thread where a similar issue is being discussed. You may want to read the posts, staring with this one:
http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=210

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2013, 10:28   #38
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Okay... you've confused me. I thought you were asking about a MKV file? The file you have supplied is very different. It is a *.webm file and I can't get it to play in anything on my PC. VLC or MPC. Both of those players just load up a single still image while the progress bar runs through.

And as a note in response to ryerman's link, I am testing with Winamp PRO here. And no CCCP packs on this PC. MKV video plays fine on this PC in all of my players, but this webm video still doesn't want to do anything.

MediaInfo gives details as follows:
code:
Format : WebM
Format version : Version 2
File size : 1.03 MiB
Duration : 5mn 47s
Overall bit rate : 25.0 Kbps
Writing application : vpxencV_VP8
Writing library : vpxencV_VP8

Video
ID : 1
Format : VP8
Codec ID : V_VP8
Duration : 5mn 47s
Bit rate : 17.1 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Variable
Frame rate : 30.000 fps
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.001
Stream size : 723 KiB (68%)
Language : English
Default : Yes
Forced : No

Old 7th December 2013, 12:20   #39
DrO

the most recent file posted above having issues will not play as in_mkv cannot correctly handle playing of video only files. the plug-in could be made to work but with what's going on with Winamp there is not the time to re-work the plug-in to cope without audio. maybe in_dshow will work if the correct system codecs are present but I've not tried.

so simple answer is the file should play but the plug-in cannot cope with it not having audio.
Old 7th December 2013, 12:38   #40
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Based on the Good Doctor's suggestion, I just did a quick test of adding "webm" to the list of file types for in_dshow. Made no difference - Winamp still doesn't like the file and just skips straight over it.

My VLC is the latest - doesn't like it. So one last try for you I'm gonna update my K-Lite codecs. Otherwise nothing wants to work for me - unless this is supposed to just be a single frozen image of two geese.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
mkv