Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 30th November 2011, 05:13   #1
zustarek

Winamp Hangs and lags between songs, and when starting and stopping songs

-Clean Install of Winamp 5.622 with NO 3rd party plug-ins
-ASUS P6T Motherboard Socket 1366 Intel I7-920 Bloomfield
-Intel I7-920 Bloomfield with 4GB or Corsair Ram (only using 3GB)
-Creative SB X-Fi Platinum
-ATI RadeonHD 4800
-Windows XP SP3
-DirectX 9.0.c
-Winamp version 5.622
-Full Winamp Installation, I did not install Winamp Agent, Visualization, or Winamp Library, I've experimented installing winamp different ways with to no avail. I even went so far as to format and reinstall windows xp sp3 with no luck

Problem: Any application and even the OS itself hangs when winamp does any of the following: Switches between tracks, starts or stops a track.

Upon fresh reboot, winamp behaves properly, but once it's been playing for about 15-20mins the hangs get longer and longer until I'm either forced to switch media players (Windows Media Player, Foobar, and Zoomplayer all work fine) or restart the computer.

I have insured all my audio and video drives are current and have followed the steps in the forum in regards to tinkering with the DirectSound plug-in, toggling hardware acceleration both in winamp, and in my soundcard settings, increasing buffer sizes, checking "cpu control", etc. etc. and none of these have fixed the problem.

I'm a long time winamp user and this is the first time I've ever encountered this strange progressive lag time between tracks, and I've been using this computer for several years now.

I've included a hijackthis.log to aid in troubleshooting.
Attached Files
File Type: log hijackthis.log (4.6 KB, 284 views)
zustarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 03:41   #2
zustarek

Just as an update, I uninstalled Winamp 5.6 and downgraded to Winamp 2.7 and now Winamp works perfectly. If anyone else is interested I can upload the version of winamp I'm using now and see if that solves similar problem and/or provide insight in future Winamp 5 updates
Old 2nd December 2011, 18:47   #3
zustarek

More updates

Another update, I've been testing out different versions of Winamp to try to find the culprit. I'm up to Winamp 5.0 with still no hangs or lags between tracks. So far Winamp 2.0 - Winamp 5.0 does not exhibit the same problems that Winamp 5.6 does. I'll update more as I have time to fiddle with it.
Old 3rd December 2011, 07:07   #4
zustarek

even more updates

I am now up to Winamp 5.51 and still no sign of the lagging and hanging seen in the the current Winamp 5.62 build.
Old 30th April 2012, 07:54   #5
trinsic

Having this problem

I have been having this problem for awhile now, I tried upgrading to 5.6.23 and its a little better but when moving forward or backward between tracks the mouse and system hangs especially if I queue up a bunch of clicks on the forward or back buttons. It takes a long time to complete and I have to wait for the whole operation to complete before I have control of my mouse again.

Mainboard : Asus P5Q PRO TURBO
Chipset : Intel P45/P43
Processor : Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 @ 2666MHz
Physical Memory : 8192MB (4 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
Hard Disk : Hitachi HDS721075KLA330 ATA Device (750GB)
Hard Disk : Western Digital WD1001FALS-00J7B0 ATA Device (1000GB)
Hard Disk : Western Digital WD2500YD-01NVB1 ATA Device (251GB)
Hard Disk : Maxtor OneTouch (750GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Monitor Type : LCM-22w3 - 22 inches
Network Card : Attansic (Now owned by Atheros) AR8121/AR8113/AR8114 PCIe Ethernet Controller
Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate Professional Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (64-bit)
DirectX : Version 11.00
Windows Performance Index : 5.5 on 7.9
trinsic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 04:38   #6
Pseudonamex2

I recently started having this problem and after digging through enough forums i finally found the problem. Unfortunately my tech knowledge is minimum so ill just say its a file called vdeck.exe thats causing the conflict. Its something involving asus motherboards and the default sound card. Sorry i cant be more specific but i basically went into the task manager and hit "end process" on vdeck.exe and now Winamp is running normally again. This might be only a temporary solution, i figure ill have to do it every time i restart my computer. Which also means the only real solution might be to get a new sound card. I hope this helps.
Pseudonamex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 16:39   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
also, 5.63 is the latest ver.

i have seen vdeck mentioned elsewhere in the forums...

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2014, 23:45   #8
ReekRend

Newest audio device driver fixed it.

Just FYI, thanks for sharing, I had the exact same issue.
Updating the audio driver fixed it (Realtek HD).

Win7/64, Winamp 5.61, all MP3's are on an SMB network share, hanging the whole computer but Winamp itself worst everytime it switches tracks. Didn't always do it, started a few months ago and kept getting worse and worse until the computer was almost unusable when listening to music. Finally couldn't take it anymore and started googling for help.
ReekRend is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support