Old 4th June 2022, 23:44   #1
FormulaFox

Winamp won't resume after pausing...

This has come out of the blue in the past couple of days - there have been no changes to my hardware, no Windows updates, nothing *I* can find to explain it, but my copy of Winamp(5.666) will no longer play audio if the program has sat idle for more than about ten seconds. Whether I just opened it, paused a file, or what, it will simply sit there and do nothing.

It can play files as long as I open them fairly quickly after loading. If I load a playlist it will play it going from song to song with absolutely zero issues. But if I pause or stop playback for more than a handful of seconds, it will refuse to play again until I close and reopen the program.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times, even removing user settings, and the problem persists. Anyone have any idea what the issue may be?
FormulaFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2022, 18:52   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

The following suggestions may not help, but they can't hurt.

1. Shutdown Winamp, then use the Windows task manager to make sure all the Winamp related processes actually closed. Right-click on any that you see and select the "End task" command. Also delete the files in your system Temp folder. You will not be able to delete files in use or otherwise locked. Reboot and try to delete these temp files again.

2. You say that you have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. Depending on how you uninstalled, you may have left some isolated files or corrupt registry entries behind. The uninstaller that comes with Winamp will not remove everything. What's left behind is not supposed to interfere with anything, but you never know. I suggest you use the free version of Revo Uninstaller (or something like it) to be sure all Winamp related program files and registry entries are removed.

Good luck

Winamp v5.9.0.9999 - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v21H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2022, 18:58   #3
FormulaFox

Task Manager entries were remaining for a while after closing, but they're not causing them - I made sure they were either gone or killed them myself after closing while testing, so I know unclosed processes are not the issue.

I'll try Revo to see what happens.
Old 5th June 2022, 19:28   #4
FormulaFox

Tried Revo first. Cleared registry inputs and all leftover files(backed up my skin files first). Reinstalled. Problem persists.

Uninstalled with Revo and cleared registry/files again then followed temp files clearing steps. Rebooted before reinstalling Winamp. Problem persists.
Old 6th June 2022, 15:49   #5
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
sounds more like a driver issue to me.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2022, 16:52   #6
FormulaFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
sounds more like a driver issue to me.
How so?
Old 6th June 2022, 17:09   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

bc whatever the problem is, it is unique to you. ergo, assuming you have run winamp in safe mode and ruled out 3rd party plugins as an issue, the audio card driver would be the next thing i looked at. after that, maybe antivirus. but whatever it is, its something unique to you and not common to other winamp users, or else others would be reporting it / we'd have heard similar reports or had similar experiences.

--
Old 6th June 2022, 17:14   #8
FormulaFox

Quote:
bc whatever the problem is, it is unique to you. ergo, assuming you have run winamp in safe mode and ruled out 3rd party plugins as an issue, the audio card driver would be the next thing i looked at. after that, maybe antivirus. but whatever it is, its something unique to you and not common to other winamp users, or else others would be reporting it / we'd have heard similar reports or had similar experiences.
I meant, what driver, and how is said driver causing an issue with Winamp but nothing else?

Also, I don't have a sound card.
Old 6th June 2022, 17:22   #9
NJK
FRISIAN (MOD)

which output plugin do you use?

have a look at this https://winampheritage.com/plugin/nu...t-plugin/28451
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2022, 17:23   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
I meant, what driver, and how is said driver causing an issue with Winamp but nothing else?

Also, I don't have a sound card.
i'm not trying to be rude, so bear with me...

if your computer makes sound u can hear, it has an audio driver, which is software the OS uses to tell hardware in the computer how to actually make sounds on your speakers.

based on literally DECADES of experience, i can tell you, that it isn't uncommon for a driver update to fix weird issues. it is worth a try from the info you have shared, is all i am saying. you can either do so, or not. your choice.

it also would be worthwhile to make sure you are using the directx plugin for output in winamp.

--
Old 6th June 2022, 17:29   #11
FormulaFox

Quote:
i'm not trying to be rude, so bear with me...

if your computer makes sound u can hear, it has an audio driver, which is software the OS uses to tell hardware in the computer how to actually make sounds on your speakers.

based on literally DECADES of experience, i can tell you, that it isn't uncommon for a driver update to fix weird issues. it is worth a try from the info you have shared, is all i am saying. you can either do so, or not. your choice.

it also would be worthwhile to make sure you are using the directx plugin for output in winamp.
I know what a driver is. I am asking WHICH driver? The standard Windows sound drivers don't seem to be the problem and have no updates available.

And for the record, my install of Winamp lists no DirectX plugin for output. Never has - I have always used the DirectSound Output driver.
Old 6th June 2022, 17:30   #12
FormulaFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJK View Post
Nullsoft DirectSound Output

Just gives a "Cannot open Out_Null.dll for writing" error when I try to install it.
Old 6th June 2022, 17:33   #13
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
I know what a driver is. I am asking WHICH driver? The standard Windows sound drivers don't seem to be the problem and have no updates available.

And for the record, my install of Winamp lists no DirectX plugin for output. Never has - I have always used the DirectSound Output driver.
thats the directx one, so good.

and if you look in your device manager, you will find the audio driver, and maybe, hopefully, whoever made the audio hardware device will have a newer driver you can DL from their site.

--
Old 6th June 2022, 17:40   #14
FormulaFox

Quote:
thats the directx one, so good.

and if you look in your device manager, you will find the audio driver, and maybe, hopefully, whoever made the audio hardware device will have a newer driver you can DL from their site.
I've already tried that, but just to be sure I'll do it again.

So I'll see you in about 12 hours since RealTek insists on transferring the files at dialup speeds.
Old 6th June 2022, 20:41   #15
FormulaFox

After uninstalling/resintalling audio drivers, problem persists as before.
Old 6th June 2022, 20:50   #16
FormulaFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJK View Post

have a look at this https://winampheritage.com/plugin/nu...t-plugin/28451
After looking around I found a copy of the plugin that I can actually install(for the record the linked installer is trying to add an extra \ before the plugin folder in it's filepath, which is likely why it won't install), and the result I get is Winamp attempting to play files, but I get absolutely no audio whatsoever. The progress bar moves, the timer counts as normal, the visualization shows playback, but absolutely no sound to the speakers.
Old 6th June 2022, 21:20   #17
FormulaFox

Okay, I found the problem! Y'all ready for this?

After installing the Null plugin suggested earlier and getting nothing, I went to try and configure it in Winamp Preferences, only for nothing to come up. I went to configure the DisrtShow plugin just to make sure this wasn't another glitch in Winamp, and it opened up in the Device tab as normal. But as I looked at the set device(01: Primary Sound Driver) something clicked. I have never had multiple drivers or devices due to lack of need for it, so I have always left it at this setting. But just to cover all overlooked bases, I clicked on it, and set it to "02: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)"

And guess what's now running without any issue?

The short-term test(1 minute) had playback run fine. A longer wait(5 minutes) also ran fine. I am in the process of letting it sit for an hour or more to be sure at this time.

I kinda had an inkling it would be some stupid and easily overlooked thing that nobody would think of. Why this suddenly became an issue I will never understand, but here it is.
Old 6th June 2022, 23:24   #18
FormulaFox

Extended test done. Problem is solved. Problem can be reliably(and immediately) reproduced by switching the aforementioned setting back to where it originally was.

The mystery now is why that setting, which had been a non-issue until now, is suddenly causing this.
Old 7th June 2022, 01:03   #19
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:

But as I looked at the set device(01: Primary Sound Driver) something clicked. I have never had multiple drivers or devices due to lack of need for it, so I have always left it at this setting. But just to cover all overlooked bases, I clicked on it, and set it to "02: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)"
This happened to me years ago. I have some old posts on this forum about this. Some users can use the Primary Sound Driver option (which is the default) and some can't. I, like you, have to use the Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) option. My mobo has a Realtek audio chip. I never was able to find a reason for this (an issue with Winamp or the OS?).

Every time I update the Realtek driver and sometimes after the monthly OS update, I need to re-select the Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio) option in Winamp to get sound working.

I didn't think to suggest this fix because your 1st post said sound stopped after putting Winamp in idle mode for ten seconds or more. Do you know if Winamp was set to use the Primary Sound Driver option at that time? In my case the Primary Sound Driver option never works no matter how I start playback.

Old 7th June 2022, 01:05   #20
FormulaFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
I didn't think to suggest this fix because your 1st post said sound stopped after putting Winamp in idle mode for ten seconds or more. Do you know if Winamp was set to use the Primary Sound Driver option at that time?
Without question it was - prior to changing it for this fix, it has always been set that way.
Old 7th June 2022, 01:11   #21
Aminifu
Forum King

Sorry we didn't help you find an answer, but I'm glad you were able to solve this issue yourself. Good luck going forward.

Old 7th June 2022, 01:15   #22
FormulaFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Sorry we didn't help you find an answer, but I'm glad you were able to solve this issue yourself. Good luck going forward.
No apologies necessary. The steps given here pointed me in the direction that allowed me to find it - that's just as helpful as actually having the answer provided.
Old 6th July 2022, 11:12   #23
verysingh45
Banned

I kinda had an inkling it would be some stupid and easily overlooked thing that nobody would think of. Why this suddenly became an issue I will never understand, but here it is.
verysingh45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support