Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News

Old 17th January 2006, 19:19   #1
Omega X
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Omega X Send a message via Yahoo to Omega X
Bellsouth begins talks for extorting fees("Aint no VoiP using mah pipes" Part 3)

----------------
---------
BellSouth wants new Net fees
By Frank Barnako, MarketWatch
Last Update: 4:40 PM ET Jan. 16, 2006

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- BellSouth Corp. confirmed Monday that it is pursuing discussions with Internet content companies to levy charges to reliably and speedily deliver their content and services.

Bill Smith, chief technology officer at BellSouth (BLS:
BellSouth Corporation) , justified content charging companies by saying they are using the telco's network without paying for it.

"Higher usage for broadband services drives more costs that we have to recover," he said in a telephone interview.

He suggested that Apple Computer (AAPL:
Apple Computer, Inc.) might be asked to pay a nickel or a dime to insure the complete and rapid transmission of a song via the Internet, which is being used for more and more content-intensive purposes. He cited Yahoo Inc.'s (YHOO:
Yahoo! Inc.) plans to stream reality TV shows as an example.

"It's the shipping business of the digital age," Smith said, arguing that consumers should welcome the pay-for-delivery concept.

BellSouth has discussed its idea with MovieLink, a film-download service. He called MovieLink an example of the kind of company that wants customers to have a good experience and would view costs incurred in the strengthening of BellSouth's Internet capacity as worthwhile. Smith also said online game companies are likely candidates for charges.

Over the weekend, Internet entrepreneur and NBA team owner Mark Cuban wrote on his blog at BlogMaverick.com that such fees are critical to the survival of the Internet. "Our ability to consume bandwidth is growing far, far faster than the speed at which it is being added," he said. "The more bandwidth we consume, the more Internet traffic jams we have."

Cuban wants telephone and cable and wireless companies to work out a way to deliver traffic at various levels of service quality. "Yes, that will mean some content will cost more if we want it faster," he conceded. "But that will be our choice."
--------------------
------------------------
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/stor...eid=mktw&dist=

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...24212&from=rss
----------------------------
-----------------

Bellsouth has lost its damn mind. I don't see ANY way that they could get away with this WITHOUT being sued x10. There is NO way in hell that I would pay for a connection and then pay to connect to Google. And I bet Google feels the same way.
Omega X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2006, 22:24   #2
MegaRock
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to MegaRock Send a message via Yahoo to MegaRock
I hope every BellSouth customer (let's just call them BS) revolts and threatens to cut off their service if they go through with this. We are already paying for the service and have a right for that service to be unhindered. This is why the FCC needs to rethink their regulations on the Bell's as they're not only becoming the same thing they onec were but something even worse.

The simple fact is WE are using their service, not the companies. If you take away, block or hinder our access to these companies you also take away any reason to own high speed internet access through any phone company.

Oh, and FUCK MARK CUBAN.

Megarock Radio - St. Louis Since 1998!
Tune In Now!
Corporate Radio Sucks! No suits, all rock!
MegaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2006, 22:44   #3
zootm
Forum King

That's insanity.

How they hell can they expect to get away with this?

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2006, 22:47   #4
MegaRock
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by zootm
That's insanity.

How they hell can they expect to get away with this?
They're a Bell company. If someone tries to stop them all they have to do is dig out a little money and send a lobbyist to Washington and it's a done deal.

Tune In Now!
Old 17th January 2006, 23:02   #5
Jay
Moderator Alumni

mark cuban wants this because it will be easier to exclude competition. If I don't like your business I will just pay more to the carrier so that you look like shit or are totally inaccessible. It's an easy way to cut out the little guy as well.

however, yea cuban is pretty idiotic.
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2006, 00:29   #6
MegaRock
Forum King

Yeah, aint he the same idiot that was responsible for the initial Broadcast.Com deal that screwed webcasters? Cuban is a jerkoff.

Quote:
Although he had left the company by the time the deal was signed, Cuban explained in a "RAIN Reader Feedback" e-mail, printed in its entirety below, that the deal conceded a high royalty price to avoid a "percentage-of-revenue" royalty rate.

By doing this, Cuban explains, he hoped that low-revenue webcasters would be unable to compete against the well-funded Yahoo!

Cuban also explains that he wanted a per-stream deal because he intended to use "multicasting" technology to serve multiple listeners with a single stream and report only the initial streams to the RIAA!

The final deal between Yahoo! and the RIAA was the lone "marketplace deal" upon which the webcast royalty rate was based, both in the CARP recommendation last February and the Librarian of Congress's final decision last Thursday.

Tune In Now!
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Breaking News