Old 17th January 2006, 21:23   #81
mrpsychology

It does show that youth do make mistakes that often they pay for in ways they shouldnt have had to. Maybe the kid was just trying to scare someone since it was a pellet gun to try to get back at those who were bullying him. Of course as you state it is a way that one can find himself shot, however, being at his age, adolesents are often not good at looking in the long end run when it comes to making decisions and often can pay a price for it. Has anyone been following the case of the three teenagers who were beating teh homeless people?
mrpsychology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2006, 22:03   #82
CaboWaboAddict
Forum Sot
(Major Dude)

Quote:
Originally posted by rockouthippie
What is your tactical estimate of a punk kid with a paintball gun?.

My estimate would be zero threat or so low it's laughable... Lets get out the BFG and other toys....
I agree... but a paintball gun looks like a paintball gun.

But we digress... that doesn't really apply here. In this case it was a pellet gun. Most of those look like real guns and some of them have enough power to kill.

Idiot's Advocate
My site (under construction)
CaboWaboAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2006, 22:53   #83
mikm
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by mrpsychology
It does show that youth do make mistakes that often they pay for in ways they shouldnt have had to. Maybe the kid was just trying to scare someone since it was a pellet gun to try to get back at those who were bullying him. Of course as you state it is a way that one can find himself shot, however, being at his age, adolesents are often not good at looking in the long end run when it comes to making decisions and often can pay a price for it.?
You don't get back at people by taking a classmate hostage. People pick on other people in the real world. In school, you can talk to a guidance counselor and try to have some form of mediation. In the real world, you can get a restraining order if the harassment interferes severely with your life.

Also, I'm sure 99% of people would realize that taking a classmate hostage and pointing your pellet gun (which you painted so it looked realistic) at the cops is going to result in serious short-term consequences.

powered by C₂H₅OH
mikm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2006, 22:55   #84
xzxzzx
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by rockouthippie
And lately, not in ways that show common sense.
You mean like shooting someone who's pointing (what you think is) a gun at you?

Yeah, that seems real stupid to me.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2006, 22:57   #85
mrpsychology

Right, but when dealing with 1) adolescence 2) emotions, often rationality or reason may not apply sometimes and mistakes happen. I would view it differently if he was 30 years of age becauae the cognitive development that has taken place where the activation moves from teh amydala region to the frontal lobes where reason is associated from.
Old 17th January 2006, 23:03   #86
mikm
Major Dude

Bringing a gun to school is NOT a mistake. Given that he took the time to paint it so it would look real, it appears to be planned. Of course, we don't know the specifics, but the evidence we know is against him.

Would you call Columbine a "mistake"? They were, after all, teenagers dealing with emotional problems.

powered by C₂H₅OH
Old 17th January 2006, 23:11   #87
mrpsychology

Well, if he didnt make that decision it wouldnt have occurred. A lot of what can be seen behind this aggression in youth is violent video games and this violence that is experienced. Some teens may want to excellerate and bring the vivid violence they see on video games and bring it into reality. It has been shown that aggressive cognition and aggressive reactions and as well deadened reaction to violence is a result in many of the youth who have played video games over time. The objectivity of violence. Naturally, the mistake was his decision to do what he did, however, death was still not warranted. AFter all, I just read about this guy who got sentenced 15 years for killing 3 people. So, if you dont kill someone who has murdered 3, do you kill 1 who has threatened or taken hostage one? I think the most important thing to hold onto is compassion, for a violent police deparatment has gotten away with murder for years.
Old 17th January 2006, 23:24   #88
mikm
Major Dude

Quote:
Well, if he didnt make that decision it wouldnt have occurred.
My point exactly. He made a decision to bring a gun to school and do the other dumb shit he did. For this, he paid the consequences.

I play violent video games frequently, as do most people on this forum (I presume). While I may be desensitized towards violence because of this, I am not going to try to emulate the game or threaten people with a gun.

As for your last point, being shot by the police because you are threatening them and others with a gun is not the same as being sentenced to death for a crime. The 15 year sentence for killing 3 people, it is highly likely that the person wasn't charged with 1st-degree murder, but with manslaughter.

powered by C₂H₅OH
Old 17th January 2006, 23:32   #89
mrpsychology

I am not sayign that all people who play video games will commit violence. And you would be surprised at the inconsistency of the justice system and their sentencing. I think video games are a good way to study anxiety and the activity in the brain, espeically a game like Star wars jedi academy. And the thing i liked about jedi academy is the author put in metaphors, like this new civilization and their not being on a side yet, there rae a lot of metaphors in it which is pretty cool to go along with the quite graphic rich game. And this would show how if one stays on the dark side (emotional) that one may make decisions. Like the student who betrayed the jedi over the woman but the jedi (wel you could choose lol) and it is a good metaphor on how retaliation is not good karma lol.
Old 18th January 2006, 01:19   #90
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Funny, I just ordered this shirt today, left NJ's warehouse at 4:33 PM:

ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2006, 15:21   #91
mrpsychology

LOL funny shirt. I have a quote from a book "Exploring Psychology" by David Myers that is quite interesting and is on the topic of mimicry and cognitive dissonance, "sometimes the effects of suggestibility are more serious. In the eight days following the 1999 shooting rampage at Colorado's Columbine High Schoool, every U.S. state except Vermont experienced threats of copycat violence. Pennsylvania along recorded 60 such threats. Sociologist David Phillips and his colleagues found that suicides, too, sometimes increase following a highly publicized suicide. In the wake of Marilyn Monroes' suicide on August 6, 1962, the number o August suicidess in the United States exceeded the usual count by 200," (D. Myers, 2005, page 545, Worth Publishing 6th edition).

People do bring their or try to bring their attitudes to be inline or in agreement with their views and vice versa and through behavior they change their attitudes. Often if one behaves a certain way their attitudes will follow and therefore their cognition will try. So, say you have a teen or anybody for that matter who is experiencing moments of darkness, one may behave in such a way, like dressing morbidly and as this happens it reinforces attitude and thought and it can go the other way around as well. The idea is to alleviate tension through trying to bring the attitude in line with the thought and behavior. Which, in adolescence the development of the brain does move towards teh front and this is where the emotioal and reasoning should merge into one.

Here are a couple more quotes that are tied into the subject which are quite itneresting from Exploring Psychology by David Myers, "It'll be like the LA riots, the Oklahoma bombing, WWI, Vietnam, Duke, and Doom all mixed together," (Journal Entry by Columbine killer Eric Harris.) "Absent the combination of extremely violent video games and these boys' incredibly deep involvement...this massacre would not have occurred," (lawsuit against video game makers, by Columbine Victims' Families). "Two Grand Rapids, Michigan teens and a an in his early twenties spent part of a night drinking beer and playing Grand Theft Auto III, using cars to run down simulated pedestrians, then beating them with fists, leaving bloody body behind. Then they went driving on a real drive, spotted a 38-year-old man on a bicycle, ran him down with their car, got out, stomped and punched him, and returned home to play the game some more," (2005, page 565).

Now, of course, not the majority of video game players do this, the idea is that people are often more strung emotionaly after playing a game rather than the release it is thought to have. Of course most people don't because of their typical faculties, but given anyone with predispositions and it can be seen. The funny thing i read was that they put an electrode in a monkey's limbic system that was the aggressive head monkey, and when they pressed the button the aggressive monkey became more passive, and when they put other monkeys in with this alpha monkey, the other monkeys learned to press the button to get the alpha monkey to calm down lol. There is a peculiar idea in thinking of an animal using devices to control the behavior of other animals lol. Literally pressing the other's buttons lol. The interesting part of it is, the monkey figured out the connection of the button and the control of aggression of the alpha monkey and then used it. Looks like Darwin just keeps on getting props as MTV lingo would state lol.

Last edited by mrpsychology; 18th January 2006 at 16:41.
Old 18th January 2006, 17:00   #92
Mattress
Forum King

Since the introduction of violent video games to the market and popular culture, violent crimes by young people have decreased rather than increased.

Quote:
Escapist magazine
The ten-year period between 1992 and 2002 yielded a 66% decline of violent crime committed by children ages 10 to 17. That's almost twice the rate of decrease of violent crime among Americans in general, which only yielded a 35% decline.
Mattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2006, 17:13   #93
mikm
Major Dude

Quote:
People do bring their or try to bring their attitudes to be inline or in agreement with their views and vice versa and through behavior they change their attitudes. Often if one behaves a certain way their attitudes will follow
Attitudes affect their behavior? Who would have guessed?

Quote:
Here are a couple more quotes that are tied into the subject which are quite itneresting from Exploring Psychology by David Myers, "It'll be like the LA riots, the Oklahoma bombing, WWI, Vietnam, Duke, and Doom all mixed together," (Journal Entry by Columbine killer Eric Harris.)
He was merely using things known for thier violence as metaphors. Just because he mentions Doom doesn't mean it caused the massacre any more than World War I can be blamed for the massacre.

Quote:
"Absent the combination of extremely violent video games and these boys' incredibly deep involvement...this massacre would not have occurred," (lawsuit against video game makers, by Columbine Victims' Families)
Back this up with any emperical evidence and I will believe you. I could easily pull a quote from the defendants. It doesn't make it any more valid.

Quote:
"Two Grand Rapids, Michigan teens and a an in his early twenties spent part of a night drinking beer and playing Grand Theft Auto III, using cars to run down simulated pedestrians, then beating them with fists, leaving bloody body behind. Then they went driving on a real drive, spotted a 38-year-old man on a bicycle, ran him down with their car, got out, stomped and punched him, and returned home to play the game some more," (2005, page 565).
OK. Assuming that there were 100 incidents where people tried to emulate GTAIII and assuming 10 million copies sold, that means that 0.0001% of the people who bought it tried to emulate it. Hardly significant.

Quote:
Now, of course, not the majority of video game players do this, the idea is that people are often more strung emotionaly after playing a game rather than the release it is thought to have.
Proof? Even if it is, there isn't sufficient evidence that this would cause massacres and the like.