Old 24th November 2003, 18:05   #1
zerker

Cool Fusion Jazz

What are people's opinions on Fusion music? I've been to see a few bands such as The Dave Weckl Band, The Mike Stern Band and the Yellowjackets and loved it.

Altough it's taken me a while to get into this sort of music, it's incredible once you start to get used to it. I'm a drummer, and the drumming in fusion tends to be unbelievably complex and amazing to watch live.

However when I've spoken to other people about this genre, they've hated it and think there's far too much going on!

What dya think?
zerker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2003, 18:11   #2
NJK
The Frisian Spamfighter

how about providing some links to the bands you mentioned?

or some sample?

and yes i can apriciate jazz music

Each Thursday a new show on Celtica Radio with Darkwave music.
FORUMRULES
WINAMP
SHOUTCAST
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2003, 02:59   #3
night_rain

Thumbs up

Honestley I like fussion it has a lot of complex musical ideas but they make sence if you know what you're listening to. some fusion I agree is harder to grasp then others but when you get it it's wonderful. If I knew any of the band names that I've heard I would tell them for you ut really I just listen to whatever my sister puts in. The stuff that they play can be just mind blowing though.

You said you were a drummer? My dad once went to a concert and saw a drummer play for an hour and a half with just a symbol type thingy and a stool. He beat on everything and for half an hour not once was my dad bored.

Like I said Fusion music is mind blowing when you relize what the people are actually doing.
night_rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2003, 08:28   #4
zerker

Quote:
Originally posted by night_rain
You said you were a drummer? My dad once went to a concert and saw a drummer play for an hour and a half with just a symbol type thingy and a stool. He beat on everything and for half an hour not once was my dad bored.
Yeah I've seen gigs like that, it's an amazing thing to be able to keep people amused with just one cymbal.

I agree with you about fusion music, once you've worked out how to listen to it and it doesn't just sound like everyone doing everything at once, it's incredible music.
Old 28th November 2003, 08:36   #5
grumpyBB

Send a message via AIM to grumpyBB
hey, new guy here and this was the first thread I clicked on.

I love fusion jazz, been listening to it for many years. I first heard of Dave Weckl way back in the mid 80's when he was the drummer for The Chick Corea Elektric Band. I saw a live concert that was recorded at Iowa State University and he played a solo during the song "Rumble" that just blew my mind. I was hooked after that. Another guy that I really got into back then was Billy Cobham. He was releasing solo albums then but he also used to play in the Mahavishnu Orchestra with John McLaughlin (killer guitarist) and Jan Hammer (keyboards, Miami Vice). That's where my love of fusion started.

In the past couple years I discovered a guy named Virgil Donati that blew me away just like Dave Weckl did so many years ago. He had his own band called "On The Virg" and also released a couple cd's under his own name. He now plays for the band "Planet X" which was started by former Dream Theater keyboardist Derek Sherinian.

There's a few bands that I recommend that are all related to Dream Theater in one way or another. They are: Platypus, The Jelly Jam, Liquid Tension Experiment, Mullmuzzler, Explorers Club, Chroma Key and O.S.I.

Platypus has Derek Sherinian (former D.T. keyboards), John Myung of D.T, along with Ty Tabor (King's X) and Rod Morgenstein (dixie dreggs and winger).

The Jelly Jam is the same band as Platypus minus Derek Sherinian.

Liquid Tension Experiment is Mike Portnoy and John Petrucci from D.T. with Jordan Rudess and Tony Levin.

Mullmuzzler is D.T. singer James LaBrie's side project with Matt Guillory and Mike Mangini.

Chroma Key is ex D.T. keyboardist Kevin Moore's band.

Explorers Club is a guy named Trent Gardner's band and John Petrucci (D.T. and Liquid Tension Experiment) plays guitar.

O.S.I. is made up of D.T. drummer Mike Portnoy, ex D.T. keyboardist Kevin Moore and Fates Warning guitarist and figurehead Jim Matheos.

Wow, talk about information overload! Sorry to throw so much at you but these bands all kick ass in my opinion!
grumpyBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2003, 13:04   #6
zerker

I found Dave Weckl in a similar way, by seeing him live at the Ronnie Scotts Jazz club in London a few years back. His playing was absolutely unbelievable!!!

I also know Virgil Donati who is also a good player.

John mclauchlin (?) is incredible but I find his stuff a bit hard to listen to at first. I think, like a lot of other music like this, the more I listen to it, the easier it will become and therefore get more and more enjoyable.

I found out about Liquid Tension Experiment earlier this year and have listened to their albums probably every day since. Do you know if they'll ever release anything else other than Volume 1 and 2?

Definately gonna check those other bands out you mentioned cos it seems like we have similar tastes!
Old 28th November 2003, 13:10   #7
zerker

Oh have you checked Dennis Chambers out? He's someone to look out for if you haven't yet!
Old 28th November 2003, 16:20   #8
night_rain

I envy you guys for all these concerts I was going to go see a John Luke Ponty (forgive my spelling) concert a little while ago but it got cancled. I really don't notice when the music is hard to listen to anymore on most things, I grew up with this stuff. Really I wish I had gotten to go to some of the concerts with my dad he met John McGloflen *gasp* and even gave him a gift, if only I hadn't been so little at the time...... These people are awsome though, oh and John Luke Ponty is a Violenist from france, he rocks.
Old 28th November 2003, 16:33   #9
zerker

Hehe unlucky dude!

Just go to all the concerts you can now and then all the little people now will get to be as jealous as you are when they grow up!

When we're all 20-30 years older, we could've grown up with music legends that haven't appeared yet!

Not sure that really made sense but you get the general idea.
Old 29th November 2003, 21:20   #10
night_rain

Yah no kidding that would be great....best friends with the next McGloflen...
Old 12th December 2003, 08:03   #11
Drooling Dog

As a fellow drummer, one of my favorites to listen to is Chambers, MacAlpine and Brunnel - Sometimes referred to simply as "CAB". Their albums are Cab 1... Cab 4. Check 'em out, if you haven't already.
Drooling Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2003, 08:06   #12
Drooling Dog

Quote:
Originally posted by zerker
I found out about Liquid Tension Experiment earlier this year and have listened to their albums probably every day since. Do you know if they'll ever release anything else other than Volume 1 and 2?
People have been asking Mike Portnoy this for years, and he seems pretty convincing when he tells people no. Major bummer. I'd really like to hear more too.
Drooling Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > Music O'Rama